Wiki Posts
Search

Higher Elite Levels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2003, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Starwood Gold, US Silver
Higher Elite Levels

The conventional wisdom seems to be that the 75-night requirement for Marriott Rewards Platinum is too high. Maybe it's the let-them-eat-cake attitude that comes from currently living 2003 Qualifying Night #142, but I think MR would benefit from levels to reward very frequent travelers who consistently choose Marriott properties, rather than spreading nights to maintain multiple elite statuses.

Here are my ideas:

CAVIAR-ENCRUSTED PLATINUM (100 nights)

* Upgrade to best available room/suite. Regular Platinum would be modified to make clear that it only applies to better class of room, not suites.

* 35% MR bonus.

* 24-hour reservation guarantee. Just like the current Platinum benefit, but with less notice required.

PLATINUM-COATED TRUFFLE (125 nights)

* SuperBreakfastGuaranPromise(tm). Free breakfast for one using any on-property dining option at any brand, including room service, Courtyard buffets, etc., etc. If no breakfast options available, vouchers issued for local restaurant.

* 40% MR bonus.

UNICORN WITH PLATINUM HORN (150 nights)

* The Street 'Em Blood Bond(tm). Up to five times a year, the member can force themselves into the last un-checked-in room or else receive three times the rack rate. Maybe the numbers aren't quite right, but the idea is to give a limited opportunity to get the otherwise unavailable reservation with no notice.

* 45% MR bonus.

And then an extra 5% bonus for every additional 25 nights after that, perhaps combined with some outrageous benefits.

Does this all make sense? Or is there a reason, perhaps related to mental health and the greater good, that elite programs do not offer additional enticements past the 75th night?
Old Nov 9, 2003, 10:35 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I think this is discussed nearly monthly on every hotel program -- why isn't there an elite level for me, the person who stays X nights above the top tier? Well I think the answer is Marriott/etc chain already knows your hooked and doesn't need to do any more enhancements. Show them it's not true and stay somewhere else -- that's what I do. I have over 150 nights this year split between top tier in two programs and mid tier in several others. Then fax 'em over your hotel statements!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Hmmm, how about me? What if I book 550 nights per year at Marriott properties??

I should be made a GPM - Groupie Platinum Member, with my own permanent room at every Marriott property!

Old Nov 12, 2003, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, Marriot Plat, Hertz PC, Avis PS
Thanks for the laugh, all. When I check in tonight I'll remind them of my "platinum-coated truffle" status just to see the look on the clerk's face ;-)

Oh, wait, I'm staying at an spg property because I've already made plat this year, never mind.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 11:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Wow.....unfortunately I'm not going to able to post in this thread</font>
Do you know something we don't know?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:07 am

Actually I think this is a good question. Fortunitly, I only spent about 100 nights at hotels this year. However, in years past I have spent over 250 nights. Usually, I will switch hotels once I requalify. I usually try to get platinum on Starwood first, then Marriott, and then Hilton if time permits. If a chain had a higher VIP status, I may strive to attain it. The hard part is what additional benefits. Many hotels will give you suites at checkin. Maybe if they had a VIP status, you could confirm an upgrade before checkin?

Good question though,
Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Nov 19, 2003, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:

I should be made a GPM - Groupie Platinum Member, with my own permanent room at every Marriott property!

</font>

The benefit for booking 550 Marriott nights should be ownership of any Marriott property. That is assuming booking the 550 nights against one account and that you have to actually stay in the room.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:

</font>
Well, I had 440 paid nights last year, and they didn't do anything special for me.

Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Just curious...what brand received the majority of your nights, and what brand received the majority of your $$?</font>
I was checked into the same Towne Place Suites property for all but about five nights of 2002. I picked up a handful of nights here and there at other properties (primarily full-service locations), but obviously, the bulk of my lodging time and $$$ went to TPS.

I was able to garner more than 365 nights because of the double nights/double points promotion that ran through the fall of 2001 and winter of 2002. All my nights at that TPS counted double through 3/31.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 3:40 pm

Just curious...what brand received the majority of your nights, and what brand received the majority of your $$?</font>
No need to respond as socrates isn't posting in this thread. I too have chosen not to post here either.(At least not until Marriott offers the Moon Rock elite level. No encrusting necessary, thank you very much.)
Old Nov 21, 2003, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.