Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2002, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member # 642

I drove by this the other day.

It looks like it going to be a beautiful resort.

http://huntingtonbeach.hyatt.com/pro...SSM4Z54CISIJVC
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:58 am

My wife and I attended the grand opening of the new Huntington Beach Hyatt yesterday. We were not very impressed. It's a low-rise complex (3-4 stories) with a major highway running between the hotel and the beach. Ocean-front rooms are really "highway-front" with the expected traffic noise. Many room locations within the complex have acceptable views but do not compare with Hawaii or even the Hyatt Islandia tower in San Diego. If you are planning on staying at the Hyatt Huntington Beach soon, be forwarned: we were told that the Spa, most restaurants and the Regency Club will not be opened until March 2003.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:18 pm

The rooms are Hyatt standard and there is a bridge across the highway to the beach. The pool area is quite ordinary. Hyatt seems to have missed an opportunity to create something really special here, but the beach itself will be the major attraction.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:06 pm

Just had a one night stay at this property. Upon arrival, I asked about a suite upgrade since there was pretty much no one around. We were granted an upgrade to a "junior" suite and were told that they wouldn't normally upgrade us but since occupancy was so low, they made an exception. The suite was pretty nice. The living room area had an entertainment center, couch, two chairs and a large glass coffee table. There was a full bath with one sink and a glassed in shower. There was also a large desk. The bedroom had a king bed, a large chaise lounge, a seperate changing area with a table, chair and large mirror. The bathroom had a double sink, a jacuzzi tub, and a seperate area for the toilet. Both the bedroom and living room opened up to a deck outside overlooking the pool area and the "beach." You couldn't really see too much of the beach though.

The Regency Club was one of the largest I've seen, it was nice but seemed to really lack a decent selection of food and beverages. They barely had anything. All the staff we encountered were really nice but seemed a little unsure as to what was really going on since the property is so new. The only strange thing we encountered was the Diamond amenity. I called down because it wasn't mentioned at check in and we forgot about it. I was given the usual choices and selected the "spa fruit plate" and two bottles of evian. When the amenity arrived it was 4 oranges on a plate. Before we even noticed what it was, the delivery person said "I have no idea why I'm delivering this, my boss made the plate up and told me not to ask any questions and to just deliver it, but normally there are apples, pears and other things." If he hadn't said anything we probably wouldn't have known any different so we called down and asked. They then sent up another plate with a small bunch of grapes, a granny smith apple, and a pear.

The property seemed pretty nice but could definitely use a little work. A big negative was the only parking available was valet. This property was the last one we stayed in after being at 6 other Hyatts within 3 weeks, so we were comparing our experiences at each one. I wouldn't consider this a vacation destination, but for a weekend getaway it's definately nice.

Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Stayed here last night. The first impression I got was...this place is empty! Numerous employees, but only one other guest spotted during check-in. This morning, I saw three other guests, who had the same "wow, nice place, but is anyone else here?" look that I had. I would be surprised if more than 20 rooms were occupied.

The "ocean front" (actually Beach Blvd. front) room I got was larger and nicer than the average Hyatt room, as was the bathroom. The bedroom portion resembles the Hilton/Wyndham Checkers, whereas the bathroom reminded me of the L.A. St. Regis.

As for soundproofing, on a scale of 1 (no soundproofing...think Super 8) to 10 (totally noiseless...think Radisson LAX), this was a 7.5. Traffic was inaudible, but horns and larger trucks could be perceived.

Didn't check out the restaurants, pool, or spa. All in all, it is a huge resort that one might expect to see in Hawaii or at least in a less urban setting than Huntington Beach. About 1/3 of the property is a convention center, which tells you where they think the action is.

Your only choice for parking is valet. I did not see any self-parking options within walking distance. It cost $18/night.

Is the place worth $199/night (plus $18 for parking)? No. Maybe $115/night. There are just too many other quality hotel options available for a lot less within a few miles from there.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
As someone who has been spending every second or third week in this area for the last several years, I have stayed in just about all of the 2.5* or better hotels.

If new, beachfront is what you seek, it is correct, this Hyatt is the best choice for the price.

But...on a more practical level, why would the typical FTer choose this hotel when, on Priceline or Hotwire, you can get the Irvine Hyatt for $28, the Hyatt Newporter for $27, the Wyndham Orange County for $38, the Irvine Hilton for $46, the Hilton Costa Mesa for $40, and the Westin South Coast Plaza for around $60? All of those hotels are nearby.

Even dealing directly with the hotel chains, you can regularly get the Wyndham for $85, and I would argue that the Wyndham is the nicest hotel of the lot.

And therein lies the point: Is it worth spending over $100/night more just to be in a new, quasi-beachfront hotel? For me, sorry, no.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP-6MM; Starwood Lifetime Platinum
All in all, stay was pretty good. Rooms were new and clean, as expected. Still had the "new car" smell. Had two connecting rooms overlooking one of the pools and the ocean= over the Pacific Coast Highway. Could not hear the traffic which was good.

Don't know about the parking situation other than I valet parked. I'm sure there's self parking. I would definitely discourage parking along the road in front.

Regency club was very nice, with wonderful service.

Room service was very good as well.

Front desk was "iffy". As pleasant as they were (and they did try to please), the newness had yet to wear off. Very green up front in terms of experience. They couldn't tell a "diamond" from a ruby if you know what I mean.

Would I stay here again? Only if I had too. There are too many great choices in Orange County on/across the street from the Ocean, ie. St. Regis, Ritz Carlton, Surf & Sand to name a few. The best way to stay here is on the FFN's or equivalent. Seems like a majority of the folks in the RC were on FFN's, like me.

This resort gets a good rating simply because of the newness. It pales in comparison to the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point in Southwest Florida though, as far as new Hyatt resorts are concerned.

Oh, call in advance of your stay to request the best room available. They may well accommodate.

We'll look forward to hearing your views.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
I was there last week. Regency club is large and comfortable. Nice spread in the evening, large shrimp, hot food, bread cheese, veggies, etc. Honor bar, $3 beer & wine, $4 hard stuff. The Regency club also had snacks during the day and desserts in the evening.

No problem with the Diamond amenity, the card was given to me a check in.

The pool was very nice. Staff was friendly. We were on the top, fourth, floor half way between the Regency Club and the end of the property (ocean front). The Ocean view was ok, too marginal. I don’t believe there are any great ocean views. Even the suites at the very end of the building look across the Pacific Coast Highway, then a large beach parking lot, then another ~1k meters of sand.

I valet parked the first day then move my vehicle to front of the property along the PCH there were no meters. Not too many spaces, probably difficult to come and go.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here last week on 2 FFN's and really liked it. However, I encountered a couple of problems that might have sent you more elite travelers over the edge! Was assigned a room on Regency Club level, 4th floor, with a view of the pool and ocean to the right. No way would they upgrade to a suite; it wasn't what I'd call crowded, but there were more than 20 other guests there. My teens enjoyed the free-form pool; I was only brave enough to go in one of the spas because the weather was not quite warm enough for pools and beaches. Rented bikes for a ride on the beach (bridge over PCH is very convenient) and enjoyed browsing the resort's stores and facilities. First night paid $18 to park; second night parked in front of the hotel for free (looks like the meters will be in place very soon, so in the future that probably won't be an alternative). Regency Club was open and operational all day (one of the few RC's I've encountered lately that is open). However, the staff seemed a bit overwhelmed as many times the food was pretty much gone (especially breakfast). One morning the coffee maker spewed out grounds for an hour. Second day our keys wouldn't work at RC, and we were told to go downstairs to re-key them as they'd changed the security system since it had been letting everyone in. Maybe that's why they were out of food? Also had trouble with the safe in the room not working; first the security man came, then the engineer--all-in-all took 45 minutes to fix. On my second day I had a message from the front desk that GP wasn't accepting the charge for my room for GP points. I told them I was using a FFN. "Melissa", supposedly front desk manager, was quite snippy about it and indicated it was my problem and I should call GP to get it resolved. She curtly informed me that she'd charge me rack rate if I didn't get it resolved. I called GP, they fixed whatever it was that needed fixing; I called back to Melissa who insincerely said "sorry for any inconvenience". Her treating me like I was trying to cheat them, was enough to make me think twice about staying there again. She needs some training in customer service, hard to believe she was the manager. But as I first stated, I liked the resort--it will be awesome in the summer and when the landscaping starts to get lush. I felt very lucky to be staying there for free; however, if they plan on selling rooms at those $200 rates they'll need to get their act together.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:15 pm

Just stayed at this Hyatt this past saturday nite. They would not upgrade me as diamond even though they had plenty of rooms and I was only staying one night. They put us in a room near the dirt lot in back on the RC floor. Only after I called did they move me to PCH ocean front room but the noise form the PC highway takes away from it all. Not a way to treat a diamond. The valet parking is all messed up had to wait forever to get my car (it was prom night). My rate was 199.00 which is about as cheap as you can get for the resort hotels. I say this because someone on this thread meantioned the Montage resort which I also stayed the next night. The cheapest grand opening rate I could get was 399.00 and I think their going to raise the rate any day now to 450.00 since they seem to be selling out on weekends. Montage upgraded us to a Suite and the service mid week is great. I would say their was at least one pool attendant for every guest. You don't have the car noise from PCH and you can hear the Ocean
Old Apr 30, 2003, 3:35 am

I was inhouse when Steph58 was there.I was also on FFN
I did not encounter any problems except that the safe was locked when I arrived but they sent 2 security up immediately and unlocked it is 2 minutes.
I was given a fabulous room on the 4th floor looking straight out to the ocean although it was at the back of the hotel so I did not have traffic noise.I was given access to the Club as a Diamond Member.No questions asked.
They did have a problem with keys letting everyone into the club.
Kids were going in in swimming suits and bath robes.
That is probably why they were caught offguard with no food.
I parked my car in valet when I arrived and interestingly you dont get charged valet unless the car is in overnight so I took it out and parked on the road-but as Steph58 says the parking meters will be inplace soon so that option will disappear.
You can however park in the beach parking opposite for a fee(I have no idea the price)
I had a lovely though expensive dinner in the Californian. i will do a report shortly to appear on Mertz website
Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:13 pm

Can't comment on the RC, as it changes from week to week. Let's hope for a busy week so they are open.

As for traffic, it should take about 80 - 90 minutes to drive from HB to LAX with the usual weekday traffic. With Supershuttle, you will be able to drive in the carpool lane, saving time. I think 3 hrs. is a bit much!

Old Jun 4, 2003, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Look at it this way. If the RC is closed and you are Diamond you should get Breakfast coupon which you can use as a credit towards a full breakfast rather than the RC continental. Traffic can be pretty bad early in the morning but the worst is South of H.B. and just North of the Airport so you should be OK with the carpool lane. It takes at least 15 minutes just to get to the 405 from Huntington Beach along Beach Blvd.
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:09 pm

I just returned today and I have to give the resort a great review. When the Regency club was closed they game me certificates to use at the California Restaurant off the lobby. This is a very nice place with over 1 inch thick molten glass tops on the tables that may or may not last. They look very cool but practical negatives are they can chip and they are hard to see if they are not clean. Sorry off the subject so back on to topic. Everything was perfect including a Diamond room upgrade which we all know is not required to the Manager asking if everything was beyond expectations. OVERALL AN EXCELLENT RESORT STAY AND NICE STAFF.

[This message has been edited by Centurion (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jun 6, 2003, 5:22 pm

I stayed at this property a little over a month ago and would characterize the stay as upper-mediocre.
Upon check-in, the extremely snippety check-in clerk flatly refused any sort of upgrade, even though it was a light weekend. When we reached our room, our view was of the grocery store. I called down and Melissa (not our original check-in clerk) claimed that was the best they could do and I questioned her as to why they weren't blocking better rooms for Diamonds. To her credit, she did call back a few minutes later with an improved room. Slightly closer to the water, partial view, overlooking the pool instead of the commercial village.
Amenity was offered without asking and I chose the "spa plate" which was 1 pear, 2 apples and an orange.
I tried booking treatments in the spa for the next day but they were full (grrr!) but I managed to get in for the following day. I give the spa 4 out of 10. The treatments were very pricey and not all that great (I had a massage and a facial). Keep in mind the $35 "spa fee" that they charge you for the use of the robe and slippers. This is in addition to the treatment charges. This was a first for me - usually such things are included in high end treatments.
The fitness center was nice, air conditioned and had lots of cardio and weights. Very roomy and not busy.
We ate in the more casual restaurant (can't remember the name) and it was good. Prices were resonable.
The RC was pleasant and well stocked in the evening, with a nice view. Breakfast was a bit more chaotic with zillions of less than adequately supervised children and slim pickings with regard to food.
I'm probably not headed back there by choice but if I needed to attend a conference there or somesuch, it wouldn't be a bad place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.