Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2003, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Just got back from a quick one-nighter at this property, and was very impressed. As Diamond, was given a great room overlooking Boston Harbour, a very nice bottle of Chilean red, a cheese/fruit plate, and a full buffet breakfast the next morning. Incredible thing is that I picked up this room on Priceline ($52), and still got all the Diamond perks. Impressive.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

RichardInSF, I agree that the location is not great -- it is a bit of a pain to get into downtown Boston -- water ferry or shuttle bus to the T line are the two options, and neither is convenient. BUT, as in my case, it is very convenient if the main purpose for the stay is to catch an early flight the next day -- took only about 4 minutes to get to Logan by shuttle.
Old Apr 20, 2003, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dunno if the new Hilton at Logan is any better, haven't taken a look. It would be the only closer candidate (from the Hilton you can walk to the terminal).

If you are departing on a weekday, there is the Boston Harbor hotel which is somewhat nicer than the Hyatt. From the Boston Harbor hotel, you can walk to a lot of nice stuff, and the Logan water taxi leaves from a dock just behind the hotel. The water taxi runs on weekends, but only once every 30 minutes, which can be a problem.

Of course, no diamond upgrades or free breakfasts at non-Hyatts!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 7:50 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed at both properties in January and have to say, even without perks and points, I think the Boston Harbor is a far nicer hotel, which comes at a higher price. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though, for negotiations for the Swissotel.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 9:36 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Hyatt Harborside Updates

I recently stayed at the hotel, and it was late and the shuttle missed me on its way around. The front desk offered to pay for a cab from the terminal to the Hyatt (about $5). Also the taxi dispatcher told the driver that since it was such a short job he could come back to "my line" and he would give him another job, so it worked out well for all. Also I believe this property may have dropped the $9 or so fee for internet access. Have not been charged on 2 recent stays.

The Hilton Logan is a newer more modern business like hotel. Furniture and the like is newer, and the Hilton was built and opened in 1999. The Hyatt has far better harbor views (including glass elevators that look out in the harbor). Also the Hyatt has a nautical theme bar with a lot of nice and cozy places to sit with views of the water. I would say food somewhat better at Hyatt especially comparing the two bars. However, beds are more comfortable especially on exec level at Hilton, and Hilton has Starbucks coffee available in a shop in the lobbey---nice to quickly get coffee to go. If the Hyatt Harborside rennovated and spruced up a bit it would be better. It is not that old, I think it opened around 1992 or so. Both the Hyatt Harborside and the downtown Hyatt Financial District (formally Swiss Hotel) can normally very easily be obtained on Priceline.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:11 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Hotel is fine during the week, on weekends it becomes overrun by wedding parties who think its just fine and dandy to go running screaming down the hallways at 2 am.

Diamond amenity is good, they will bring a mini fridge up to room if you need one and the harborside views are stunning. I haven't eaten here, so all I comment on is the amenity.

Our last stay here was a disaster as far as sleep and the front desk went. I'm so hoping our next one is better - July 3rd. I am not holding my breath, but we have a 8 am flight home.

lala
Old Jun 16, 2004, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've stayed at the Harborside Hyatt several times and the only problem I have is the large amount of noise coming from other rooms. The doors seem to slam quite loudly and there is no soundproofing at all between the rooms. Which is remarkable since they took so much effort to make sure you can't hear the airplanes at Logan but you can sure hear the TV in the room next door.
Old Jun 16, 2004, 8:40 pm

I stayed at the Harborside 6 or 7 times last year before early flights. You will ALWAYS find at least one wedding party there every weekend during the warm weather. Apparently, this is the spot for wedding parties to be photographed with the Boston skyline in the background. As noted by others, the walls are paper thin (my main complaint), and when the doors are shut, they shake the hallway. Haven't stayed at the newer Airport Hilton, but the view from the Hyatt is great, and their restaurant good seafood. Perhaps the best advice is to just take a sleeping pill.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Hyatt Harborside

Hello all--I've stayed at the Hyatt Harborside several times--all Priceline stays and was always given a room facing the airport(even numbered rooms)--that is until my last visit July 4th weekend--I'm now a Platinum and without asking I was given an odd numbered room(facing Boston skyline) WOW ---blew me away--especially considering we were treated to several fireworks displays--not only Boston but 4/5 other towns in the skyline--not only is there a free hotel shuttle to the NEW airport T station but the airport bus also stops next to the hotel and provides free transportation to the T station--very nice hotel--a simple phone call ($1.00+tax) qualifies as a charge (Mastercard) and qualifies for FFN--I always park at a T station (Oak Grove) for $3.00 a day and take the T(subway) everywhere--hope this helps--if there are any further questions I'll be glad to help--I really appreciate this terrific resource--thank you to all ^
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by RMC500
As noted by others, the walls are paper thin (my main complaint), and when the doors are shut, they shake the hallway. Haven't stayed at the newer Airport Hilton, but the view from the Hyatt is great, and their restaurant good seafood. Perhaps the best advice is to just take a sleeping pill.
I agree. You can't beat the view from the Hyatt. Was there on a PL stay but given an odd numbered room, which was nice of them. Location-wise, the Hilton is better situated since it is directly linked to the terminals via climate-controlled bridges (to Terminal E and soon to be Terminal A). I have enjoyed the Hyatt stays, however, and would stay there again (on a non-PL rate).

aloha
Old Aug 2, 2004, 8:19 pm

Stayed there recently. Agree with the other posts except that the restaurant is very good and has the view of the harbor. Also, we received the wine as our amneity and since we were leaving the next am, they allowed us to used the wine with dinner in the restaurant. Very pleased.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Hyatt Harborside & Hilton Logan

I'm at the Hyatt Harborside right now (and Internet is $9.95, so we shall see if I am charged for it or not, tomorrow) and, having spent the previous night at the Hilton, I have to say I like the Hilton better.

For a Hyatt, this is a nice property. Large room (about the same as the Hilton). The Hilton has a softer bed - the Hyatt King is really firm. Also, the Hilton had a fantastic comforter - reminded me of the Heavenly Bed comforter. But very mushy pillows - the Hyatt wins there.

Hyatt is surprisingly un-computer friendly. No power port at the desk - the ADSL modem and the desk lamp take up both sockets and, unlike the Hilton, the Hyatt desklamp does not have a plug. So I had to unplug the desklamp to plug my computer in and turn on all the other lights to see. Hyatt is LAN while the Hilton is Wireless.

Usually eat good at a Hyatt, but I had dinner out so probably will not be trying the menu. Prices run 10-20% more then the Hilton for the same items. The Hilton breakfast buffet is a great deal at $13.95. Plenty of good food options.

Hyatt is running me $25 more a night then the Hilton. Shuttle service to both was fine, though the Hilton is walkable (via a slog through the Central Parking structure). Hilton lobby wins hands down. The check-in desk is bigger then the Hyatt lobby.

The Hyatt definitely wins on the view, but it was pouring rain last night and all day today it has been fog on the deck, so nothing to see during the day. It has lifted now, so the lights are pretty.

Not sure if this hotel has a Regency Club. Hilton has a decent enough Executive Lounge in terms of space. Not much in the way of snacks, though.

While I generally prefer Hyatts, and being a Platinum here and Gold at Hilton might be skewing my preference a bit (a HGP Diamond gets the amenity and possibly a suite. As Platinum, I have to pay for water, but get it free as a Hilton Gold), but next time I am in town, the Hilton will win I think.

If you like Hyatts, are a Diamond, or want FFNs or points (GP2000 bonus here is a nice perk), this is a solid choice. But if you have no status or mid-tier status in both (HGP Platinum/HH Gold), then the Hilton is probably the better choice.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 8:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Nice hotel but it has one of the hardest beds in the nation like concrete.
If you like your bed very firm you will like this hotel. lol firm is the more politically correct term
Other factors like any hotel depend on the day visited.
Last stay(taken over 1 year ago) I would say both the service and food/dinner/breakfast needed some work to be polite.
With that said its a Hyatt and I would generally in he past choose it over others in the area.
With some of the intended coming program changes and the general across the board raising of daily rates as high as 100% at some Hyatts nationwide I will be probably looking at other choices in a number of markets I stay in.
Seeing who has the best property promotion and value added service above all.Happy Holidays all
Old Dec 12, 2004, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Yeah, the bed was like concrete compared to the Hilton. And as an FYI, I did get charged for Internet.

Still, don't want folks to get the impression I didn't like the hotel, as I did. I just found better value for the money at the Hilton when all you are considering is hotel amenities, furnishings, and prices for services. Things like the GP2000 and FFN, of course, do affect the overall value of the property.
Old Dec 20, 2004, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I was at the Harborside this past weekend (PL). Was given a odd-numbered room and the view is as advertised . The lobby areas, although not huvge, are very handsome in dark woods. Rooms nice, with a comfortable sofa. The bed was indeed quite firm (but not at all uncomfortable). The main factor was that the heating did not work well - I ended up sleeping wearing two long-sleeved t-shirts to stay warm

The really bad news is that I checked my credit card account online a couple of hours ago and the hotel charged me for the Friday night room and tax, even though it was a PL stay - they also double-billed a room sevice charge on the final day. I have called the Accounting Dept, which was not especially helpful. Should I call Hyatt CS if the hotel doesn't resolve the dup charges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.