Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dulles (IAD) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2001, 11:08 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Any recent noteworthy stays at the Hyatt Dulles at IAD anyone? Due to some really great rates lately, I'll seemingly have a two night stay and have not been there for several years. I recall there is no RC but anything good/bad related to being a Diamond? Any thoughts/comments overall? Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2001, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
This has to be among the worst Hyatts in DC area- stay away. Go to the Hyatt Reston instead as they also have complimentary airport shuttle. Loved the location with things to do within walking distance. Great rates, RC (not open on weekends). Email me with time and I will send you an suite upgrade certificate to use there.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."

[This message has been edited by worldbanker (edited 11-09-2001).]
Old Nov 9, 2001, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Doc I agree that the Hyatt Reston is much nicer, I work right across the street from it, however, I don't think that the Hyatt IAD is that bad. i stayed there many a time while traveling out here and enjoyed it. No RC however it has a nice bar, a decent gym for a hotel, and a nice staff.

All that said, the Reston Hyatt has an INCREDIBLE gym for a hotel, great location to walk to the Reston Town Center, as mentioned a shuttle, some nice restaurants (Market Street Grille) right next to it.
It is a better choice and I would stay there if the cost is close, but in normal times, this place is quite expensive. Its worth a shot though to check
Old Nov 10, 2001, 1:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
What is so bad about the Dulles Hyatt? The rooms look nice and this is all I need for an overnight stay when I wait for a connecting flight the next morning.

Muerz
Old Nov 10, 2001, 6:46 am

IMHO, there isn't anything BAD at all about the Hyatt Dulles, it's just that the Hyatt Reston is much nicer. The one to stay away from is the Hyatt Fair Lakes (Fairfax), that is definitely a low end Hyatt

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Muerz:
What is so bad about the Dulles Hyatt? The rooms look nice and this is all I need for an overnight stay when I wait for a connecting flight the next morning.

Muerz
</font>
Old Nov 10, 2001, 9:52 am

Stayed there 2 weeks ago.

Nice Diamond Upgrade to a very large room--rooms were acceptable. Close to Airport, clean, nice, quiet, no Reg Club open on my stay.

1 word of caution (if you have a car and are not on the shuttle) it is not as easy to access as it appears from the road.
Old Nov 10, 2001, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
doc - If you can get the rate at Reston anywhere near the IAD Hyatt, definitely go to Reston, for all the reasons stated by worldbanker and TrojanHorse. It has been my regular monthly stop now for more than a year and I always look forward to going there.
The RC is open only Mon-Thurs evenings, but on the weekend there are plenty of places to go to eat, shop, and be entertained within walking distance.
If you are on a weekend or if by some chance the RC is closed, as a Diamond they will give you (ask for) chits for the continental buffet at the Market Street restaurant. And if you are on a leisure trip, be sure to bring your skates, as there is a rink for public skating right outside the door.

[This message has been edited by monitor (edited 11-10-2001).]
Old Nov 11, 2001, 1:18 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
The Hyatt Fair Lakes is physically identical to the Dulles facility.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
IMHO, there isn't anything BAD at all about the Hyatt Dulles, it's just that the Hyatt Reston is much nicer. The one to stay away from is the Hyatt Fair Lakes (Fairfax), that is definitely a low end Hyatt

</font>
Old Nov 11, 2001, 5:55 am

Not in my opinion. Fair Lakes is much smaller and no where as near as nice in the common area, lobby etc

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hsilbiger:
The Hyatt Fair Lakes is physically identical to the Dulles facility.

</font>
Old Nov 12, 2001, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I also believe that the building itself is the same in Dulles and Fair Lakes. They have 316/317 rooms, same amount of meeting space and so on.

Muerz
Old Nov 27, 2001, 8:01 pm
doc
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. FWIW, I just returned from the Hyatt Dulles and found it to be just fine. Friendly, professional service, good food, and so on. Small but functional gym, pool, jacuzzi were nice to have to. The room itself was not particularly special nor large, but I was upgraded to the business plan and have absolutely no complaints. The nice Chilean cabernet and veggies selected as the DA made a very delightful late evening snack! BTW, the little putting green outside made it a rather distinctive property! I'm gonna' surely try to use it next time! Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2001, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
I guess it is the Fair Lakes property I was confusing it with. Both are similar in size and architechture but much different in common areas and rooms.

All in all, Reston I think is the best Hyatt in Virginia although Crystal City treats Diamonds very well. I have put family up there several times and always got balcony suites.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Jun 16, 2003, 8:55 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Foolish Hyatt IAD.

I have a reservation for the Hyatt Dulles in August 2003. I know this is a long ways out. I called today trying to cancel my hyatt.com reservation because my friend was talking to her friend in VA about our trip. She was advised the Hotel was shut down for a few days because of sickness of guests. Now my friend does not want to stay at the Hotel period. Hyatt said sorry the penalty will apply. Now this is only $50 and I realize it is far out. If my friend has a concern she has a concern. Any if we stick with this Hotel I will hear it until we arrive and leave. I have already booked another hotel. I think in my humble opinion that Hyatt is foolish in this decision.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 9:20 am
Suspended

Sorry, but I do not. That is the risk that one assumes when one books a Hyatt.com rate and if you or she were to actually get sick, then you would have a complaint against the hotel.

It does not know if your request is legitimate or not, and you have not demonstrated that you are a good customer of this property to insure that they may relax their rule in order to curry favor with your business.

This is not a question of the hotel failing to live up to expectations, it is a hotel fearful that if it were to permit you to cancel despite the restrictions and despite their expectations that their problem will be resolved by then, that they could face financial ruin for this good have a snowball effect.
Honestly, I think you are complaining about the lost $50 as I see no reason for one to stay at that hotel, especially on the weekend, except for its very low price.

On the other hand, I, being the frugal person that I am, would have selected the Fair Lakes Hyatt for $10 more, but I would have earned another 1,000 bonus points over the Dulles location.

Sorry, but I feel you are definitely in the wrong and I wholehearedly endorse their decision.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 9:27 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Now that sounds like a lawyer which I think you have admitted. I resigned to the $50 and that is the reason why I called their decision foolish. Fortunately as in all other cases I am the one with the $ and as a consumer direct them. Not to foolish people in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.