Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Subscribe
Quote: Amex Plat

12/21 Purchased $100 and $50 SW Gift Cards; Posted
12/23 Reimbursed; Credited

12/21 purchased $200 E-GC reimbursed on 12/23
anyone reimbursed from purchases closed on 12/22?
AmEx PRG

$30 left (after using MPX for most of the airline credit )
Purchased $30 Southwest EGC on 12/20, posted same day
Reimbursed on 12/22
Thanks
Dec 24 purchased gift card $100
Dec 26 reimbursed
With WN is it possible to just buy a $200 and be done with it.

Since you can only do 4 total payments for a purchase, I'd like to maximize my GC values (since I'll have 2 $300 from CSR credits)
12/25 Purchased $100 gift card
12/27 Credit posted
As of today I am registered with UA . On Jan I would be changing my AMEX alliance to WN. Would I be able to buy GC on same day (Jan 1) and get reimbursed for 2017?
DP Dec 2016
12/21/16 - $100 GC posted
12/23/16 - reimbursed

12/23/16 - $100 GC posted
12/25/16 - reimbursed
Quote: With WN is it possible to just buy a $200 and be done with it.

Since you can only do 4 total payments for a purchase, I'd like to maximize my GC values (since I'll have 2 $300 from CSR credits)
I have done so and been reimbursed but those $200 transactions were several months ago. However, I have no reason to believe that ability has changed. When the calendar rolls to 2017 I fully intend to purchase $200 gift cards again to use this benefit on the several AMEX Platinum cards that I manage.

Also, in regards to the limit on the number of gift cards that can be applied to a purchase at once, there's a straightforward workaround once you know for whom you're going to make purchase. Suppose you have a bunch of $100 gift cards and want to make a $600 purchase for one person. Start by finding a just under $400 ticket, for example $390. It can be on some completely unrelated route than the one you actually want to purchase a ticket for. Use Gift Cards #1, #2, #3, and #4. Then cancel that ticket. You now have ticketless travel fund for a named person in the amount of $390. Now purchase the ticket you actually want. You can apply the canceled ticket's value, plus four additional gift card payments. This maneuver is possible and generates useful result because Southwest has no change fees. Be aware that the name of the passenger matters -- ticketless travel funds from a ticket for John Smith can only be used to purchase a new ticket for John Smith. Also, while in my experience the ticketless travel fund of a canceled ticket is often re-usable within a matter of seconds, sometimes it might take a few hours or overnight. Don't panic too quickly if an attempt to re-use fails. Only bother with calling customer support if the re-use still fails the next day.

I do not have any experience of trying to do something like the above if you for some reason want to put multiple people onto the same ticket purchase (same record locator). I'm not sure if the Web site can keep track of your purchasing travel for John Smith and Jane Doe and apply ticketless travel funds from a former John Smith ticket AND apply ticketless travel funds from a former Jane Doe ticket.

To avoid taking this thread too far off topic, please consult the Southwest specific forum for threads related to this maneuver.
12/25 - Picked WN
12/25 - Bought GC (like an hour later)
12/27 - Credit posted
Quote: I have done so and been reimbursed but those $200 transactions were several months ago. However, I have no reason to believe that ability has changed. When the calendar rolls to 2017 I fully intend to purchase $200 gift cards again to use this benefit on the several AMEX Platinum cards that I manage.

Also, in regards to the limit on the number of gift cards that can be applied to a purchase at once, there's a straightforward workaround once you know for whom you're going to make purchase. Suppose you have a bunch of $100 gift cards and want to make a $600 purchase for one person. Start by finding a just under $400 ticket, for example $390. It can be on some completely unrelated route than the one you actually want to purchase a ticket for. Use Gift Cards #1, #2, #3, and #4. Then cancel that ticket. You now have ticketless travel fund for a named person in the amount of $390. Now purchase the ticket you actually want. You can apply the canceled ticket's value, plus four additional gift card payments. This maneuver is possible and generates useful result because Southwest has no change fees. Be aware that the name of the passenger matters -- ticketless travel funds from a ticket for John Smith can only be used to purchase a new ticket for John Smith. Also, while in my experience the ticketless travel fund of a canceled ticket is often re-usable within a matter of seconds, sometimes it might take a few hours or overnight. Don't panic too quickly if an attempt to re-use fails. Only bother with calling customer support if the re-use still fails the next day.

I do not have any experience of trying to do something like the above if you for some reason want to put multiple people onto the same ticket purchase (same record locator). I'm not sure if the Web site can keep track of your purchasing travel for John Smith and Jane Doe and apply ticketless travel funds from a former John Smith ticket AND apply ticketless travel funds from a former Jane Doe ticket.

To avoid taking this thread too far off topic, please consult the Southwest specific forum for threads related to this maneuver.
Thanks for the DP on the gift card, and also very interesting about the travel fund method. It makes sense, and is nice workaround for the limit, definitely appreciate it, thanks!
Business Platinum

11/16 - Picked United to use MPX like I did with my Personal Platinum.
12/28 - Called to change to Southwest because Amazon charges never credited.
12/28 - Bought $75 GC (like a minute later).
12/28 - Bought $63 GC (like two minutes later).
12/28 - Bought $62 GC (like three minutes later).
12/30 - All three credits posted.
Quote: Business Platinum

11/16 - Picked United to use MPX like I did with my Personal Platinum.
12/28 - Called to change to Southwest because Amazon charges never credited.
12/28 - Bought $75 GC (like a minute later).
12/28 - Bought $63 GC (like two minutes later).
12/28 - Bought $62 GC (like three minutes later).
12/30 - All three credits posted.
How did you change from United to WN within a few months? I am not able to change to WN as I get a message saying I can change only once in a year in January (which is within a few hours)
Quote: ...I am not able to change to WN as I get a message saying I can change only once in a year in January (which is within a few hours)
That's the rule, but if you have not used any of your benefit in a year Customer Service may agree to change it. It helps to have a plausible story about a change in your travel pattern.
Quote: How did you change from United to WN within a few months? I am not able to change to WN as I get a message saying I can change only once in a year in January (which is within a few hours)
I never used the credit with United, so knowing it couldn't be changed online (as even you stated), and after reading multiple reports of folks calling in to make the change, I just called the number on the back of my card and told the card services lady that I needed help selecting Southwest as my airline and voila! It was super fast/instant and simple with no questions asked.

I'd even be willing to bet you could still get it all done in 2016 even at this late hour. The credit for 2016 will of course come in 2017 but...