Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: So Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
I find it extremely painful to try and upload photos lately to FT due to some change in the system so here are two pictures that I seem to be able to upload...The reception area being worked on (some screens were taken down during my stay but obviously still quite a bit to do...

Soft interesting lining in wardrobe doors...

Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:28 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

I'll try one last time to upload an image of the front overhang at the entrance to the hotel...it now has some funky design lit from behind just like the rooftop bar area:
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:29 pm

Staying one night here now. Booked a black suite, they have been renovated. Lobby now done as well. Enjoying Le Loft bar as we speak. Love the hotel, modern, renovated rooms and the view.
starflyergold and EmeraldLady like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Superb view indeed
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:00 pm

Won't post an extensive review, just a few words to say that the black suite was renovated and looked good. No upgrade but didn't care as had booked the room I wanted as a minimum and to be fair they did give me the room very early (11 AM) without quibble so was quite pleased. (would have been okay with checking in and leaving the bag though so wasn't too worried about not getting it so early.

Le Loft was far better for service in the bar than I have ever seen it, the restaurant at breakfast was heaving busy but still outstanding service. ^

Unfortunately my check in was not quite what it should have been but at least I had polite service and was able to get the room right away without asking. No mention of status, no mention of upgrade situation, no drink voucher (I came back down and asked for one later, which was given without issue and profuse apologies). I did ask if I could have the room a bit longer on day of check out and that was no issue (on that day) for an extra 2 hours (all I wanted and needed) so was again great and pleasant service from concierge that arranged that. ^

The room has been shown in my previous reviews so the only things that changed that I noticed were the three pictures below. Love the hotel, can't wait to come back again. (should be late Sept.)

The three pictures show the new (at least I hadn't seen them before) blue and black sofas in the black suite, the wall decoration tiles (which are in the grey luxury rooms as well but in grey obviously)...does that design mean anything to anyone or Vienna? Couldn't make the link and didn't think to ask! Finally, the patterned wardrobe interiors are colourful now instead of the same matt black which adds some life when they are opened!

Hope this is of use and interest, highly recommend. Safe travels.

Wardrobe interior is now multi-coloured, soft to touch and funky!

Sofa is black and blue but won't make you that if you sit on it!

wall tiles with same pattern as in grey luxury room...only on one wall and only a few tiles...not sure the significance other than some design element...

Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:48 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom: Excellent hotel

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom

Map| 5 Reviews | 80% Recommended

Praterstrasse 11020 Vienna, AT

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom: Excellent hotel (23 Photos)

I stayed two nights at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom. It was my second stay there and as good as the previous one. I really like the hotel. The loyalty treatment is exemplary and design unique.

I was told on arrival that the hotel’s rebranding to So Sofitel will finally happen on September. There will be more parties in the future. Not really my cup of tea. Already now there was two parties during the stay: spa and champagne party, both hosted by DJ. Checked both and didn't look like a big success in the middle of the week.

exterior.jpg

Check In

We arrived from the airport by taxi. Door was opened, luggage taken and lemon water offered by a doorman. That was appreciated in the summer heat.

After a short wait a front desk agent welcomed us with smile and thanked for the loyalty. All gold benefits were proactively given: early check-in at 11am, late check-out at 5pm, room upgrade, welcome gift and drink vouchers that could be used for, according to the vouchers, anything except millésimés, spirits and champagne. However, Veuve Clicquot was offered at a bar.

front desk.jpg

4_lobby.jpg

lobby bar.jpg

Room

I had booked a superior room (the white one facing Ferris wheel) and received a luxury room (slightly bigger, grey room facing Stephansdom).

The luxury room had a size of 38 square meters and it came with separate lounging area, rainfall shower and bathtub, Nespresso machine, plus complimentary minibar that was stocked with four bottles of water, both still and sparkling, and fruit juices. On top of the basic Hermes toiletries and body lotion, there were Hermes face moisturizer and parfym in bathroom. I’m afraid Hermes is gone once the hotel has become So Sofitel.

Welcome gift was same as last time when I still was platinum: four pieces of small sweets. Not the best one out there but good enough.

7_room1.jpg

7_room2.jpg

5_room3.jpg

3_room4.jpg

3_room5.jpg

3_room6.jpg

1_room7.jpg

2_room8.jpg

1_room9.jpg

Service

Housekeeping did a great job. The room was spotless and turndown service was also provided. Toiletries, minibar, coffees and teas were all filled up daily without need to ask.

Dining

We had breakfast and dinner at hotel’s restaurant Das Loft that has recently got its first Michelin star. Breakfast buffet was still excellent with local and international delicacies, one of the best. However, some changes are coming together with the rebranding but a headwaiter refused to tell more about it.

Unfortunately, Eggs Florentine and Eggs Benedict were disappointing this time. Poached eggs were overcooked, Hollandaise sauce was tasteless and they were served on toast instead of English muffin.

At dinner both the food and the wines were of very good quality. We opted four-course chef menu (91€ per person) with wine pairing (47€ per person). Wines especially were delicious. Service wasn’t exactly up to Michelin star level but it was relaxed and we enjoyed the experience. For example, dishes were brought when one of us was in washroom and once food arrived before wine.

1_dining1.jpg

1_dining2.jpg

1_dining3.jpg

1_dining4.jpg

1_dining5.jpg

1_dining6.jpg

Spa

The hotel has a nice spa that was peaceful most of the time we were there. Swimming pool is missing but there is sauna, hammam, jacuzzi and relaxation area. The interior design itself is relaxing.

3_spa1.jpg

3_spa2.jpg

3_spa3.jpg

1_spa4.jpg

Check Out

It was efficient and not particularly friendly. It felt I interrupted something important when I wanted to check out.

Also, wrong amount of Le Club points were posted onto my account. Almost 2 000 points were missing. I contacted the hotel, informed about the wrong amount of points and received a reply claiming that the points credited to me is correct because I used points.

Well, I used some of my points, yes, but I also paid over 600€ by credit card.

I called to hotel and talked to a person who replied to my email. This time he claimed that food and beverage doesn't earn any Le Club points, only accommodation does. I wonder how can a hotel of this level have a staff member who doesn't have a basic knowledge of the hotel's loyalty program.

Next he told me that the hotel receives a lot of emails and front desk agents answers quickly – thus, there might be mistakes. Oh, okay. I asked him to take time and read my email once again. Finally, he confirmed that the hotel will add the missing points.

Now, I asked him to confirm this by email so that I don't have to start everything from the beginning with his colleague in case the missing points won’t be posted as promised. He refused. He said points will be posted the next day. It didn’t before I contacted a general manager.

The positive experience was partly spoiled because of this unnecessary mess. Anyway, I will surely return.

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom: Excellent hotel

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 4, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Also, wrong amount of Le Club points were posted onto my account. I only received some 200 points. I contacted the hotel, informed about the wrong amount of points and received a reply claiming that the points credited to me is correct because I used points.Well, I used 10 000 points but I also paid over 600 ‚¬ by credit card for the room, breakfast and dinner.I called to hotel and talked to a person who replied to my email. This time he claimed that food and beverage doesn't earn any Le Club points, only accommodation does. I wonder how can a hotel of this level have a staff member who doesn't have a basic knowledge of the hotel's loyalty program.Next he told me that the hotel receives a lot of emails and front desk agents answers quickly €“ thus, there might be mistakes. Oh, okay. I asked him to take time and read my email once again. Finally, he confirmed that the hotel will add the missing points.Now, I asked him to confirm this by email so that I don't have to start everything from the beginning with his colleague in case the missing points won €™t be posted as promised. He refused. He said points will be posted the next day. It didn €™t and the point issue is still unsolved. The positive experience was partly spoiled because of this unnecessary mess.
it’s unbelievable the number of hotels who are unable to credit the correct number of points in this situation of partial payment with points.
Otherwise, great review thank you !
Old Aug 6, 2018, 1:16 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks for the review wkndtraveler but this lack of knowledge of the basic Le Club rules (F&B earning) is worrying. If we can make it our business to know the rules I wonder why people whose actual job it is to know can’t. So Basic.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:57 pm

The Sofitel Vienna has been rebranded to SO Vienna in the last days. In my opinion the SO brand does fit pretty well as it was a bit too modern / quirky for a "regular" Sofitel.
wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:44 pm

Review/RANT of a recent weekend stay (paid stay, no points used) in the new rebranded SO/Vienna. Had booked a flexible rate quite a few months ago (before the rebranding and was transferred to the new room type names and still held without issue thankfully.) I had booked a luxury room (Comfy in new parlance) and was upgraded to one of the Lofty suites as the hotel was sold out for that weekend and they must have needed the comfy room. The upgrade was very nice and I was very grateful for it, however, what I didn't know was that they now host party events regularly (every weekend?) that is held in the spa area and the lofty suite I received was the corner suite (on the 5th floor? 509 from memory, may be wrong) which was directly above this DJ bass...you can imagine the thrill my wife felt when we returned to the room late the first night (10:30 PM) to feel the bass emanating up from the floor and hearing the music. I did phone down and say I was very grateful for the upgrade but the noise was unbearable, did they have another room (of any type) as they had informed me the music and event go until 2 AM! The answer was a very sympathetic no, they would move us but no rooms available at all and the concierge did try to find some solutions and did offer to bring up earplugs at least...Not what one wants when the primary purpose of a hotel is to get a restful sleep. I am guessing that others must have complained as well on the floor as the music did go down below audible level just after midnight thankfully so we could at least sleep from that point. I'd refuse a room/upgrade to any room on the floor above the spa or below the 18th bar now given the new focus of live DJ mixed music on weekends at least if not every day they host such things.

The room was otherwise excellent and very spacious. Breakfast remains a high point with the view and the great food, service does seem to have improved and is better than my previous stays.

The check in, check out and staff were all excellent as well with one exception which rather put a sour twist on our stay and has me thinking about whether to return or not in future, regardless of how much I love the minimalist design of the hotel and great views from the bar...

On Saturday night, they were hosting some special quite 'prestigious' event that was black tie dress code and that took over both the ground floor inside and out as well as 18th floor...this meant that we were considered 'not good enough' to get into the hotel we were staying in and also later, not nearly well enough dressed to visit the bar on top due to our standard of dress. There are ways of making such events known to your hotel guests so that no embarrassing situation happens but that did not happen (no website notice, no notice at check in, no notice by the lifts, etc...) just when one is trying to walk up the stairs from the main elevators to the bar...

A rather snooty 'there is a dress code' and blocking the way further was our greeting. I asked politely if this also applied to hotel guests and was told in no uncertain terms in tone and body language that although she felt it below her to address me further, that this indeed did apply to hotel guests as well. Rather embarrassed and with a guest from Asia (where face means everything) I had to say sorry and ask my guest to reconsider our choice for the drink and go elsewhere. This is only the second time in my nearly 50 year life that I have been refused based on dress code. Needless to say I was not impressed.

The event may have booked the spaces for private hire but then please do make guests aware that they are not welcome or that there is a different dress code required before they get into the situation that causes issue.

The SO brand does indeed fit better with the style and clientele of the hotel to a very large degree, however, there are those of us that are not always in a suit and do appreciate design without any snobbiness or being looked down upon. There are plenty of places both in Vienna and elsewhere where I can get snobby and 'you're not good enough for here' service.

I do hope that the hotel succeeds with the new branding and the younger, hipper concept, I do wonder if there are that many young affluent people that can afford the prices though over time. Many of the guests I used to see here were 'normal' in dress but simply wanted something nicer and unique in design and weren't penalised for it but did help to fund the hotel when the rich and famous weren't staying.

So, long story, short purpose. The SO is a different beast, if you are a fancy dresser, then nothing will change for you and the eye candy will likely improve for you. If you like an understated elegance and smart casual look though, well maybe consider your choice. I will be and am now on the hunt for another hotel to stay in that does want my custom even if I am not dressed 'for success!'

A great hotel design, lovely views, just a bit more formal and 'are you good enough to stay here' mentality from some staff or management have made it undesirable for me going forward. Shame really, buyer beware.

(to answer the question of whether I have told anyone at the hotel or management afterwards about this: No. I'll vote with my feet thank you.)

EDIT: the event in question seems to have been this one: https://vangardist.com/news-article/...ure-ball-2018/ There was definitely a paparazzi style photographer group out front taking pictures of most guests....

Safe travels.
Goldorak and EcotoneHR like this.

Last edited by BotB; Oct 14, 2018 at 2:54 pm Reason: adding event details that destroyed my goodwill towards the hotel.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BotB
Review/RANT of a recent weekend stay (paid stay, no points used) in the new rebranded SO/Vienna. Had booked a flexible rate quite a few months ago (before the rebranding and was transferred to the new room type names and still held without issue thankfully.) I had booked a luxury room (Comfy in new parlance) and was upgraded to one of the Lofty suites as the hotel was sold out for that weekend and they must have needed the comfy room. The upgrade was very nice and I was very grateful for it, however, what I didn't know was that they now host a 'mystery' party every weekend that is held in the spa area and the lofty suite I received was the corner suite (on the 5th floor? 509 from memory, may be wrong) which was directly above this DJ bass...you can imagine the thrill my wife felt when we returned to the room late the first night (10:30 PM) to feel the bass emanating up from the floor and hearing the music. I did phone down and say I was very grateful for the upgrade but the noise was unbearable, did they have another room (of any type) as they had informed me the music and event go until 2 AM! The answer was a very sympathetic no, they would move us but no rooms available at all and the concierge did try to find some solutions and did offer to bring up earplugs at least...Not what one wants when the primary purpose of a hotel is to get a restful sleep. I am guessing that others must have complained as well on the floor as the music did go down below audible level just after midnight thankfully so we could at least sleep from that point. I'd refuse a room/upgrade to any room on the floor above the spa or below the 18th bar now given the new focus of live DJ mixed music on weekends at least if not every day they host such things.

The room was otherwise excellent and very spacious. Breakfast remains a high point with the view and the great food, service does seem to have improved and is better than my previous stays.

The check in, check out and staff were all excellent as well with one exception which rather put a sour twist on our stay and has me thinking about whether to return or not in future, regardless of how much I love the minimalist design of the hotel and great views from the bar...

On Saturday night, they were hosting some special quite 'prestigious' event that was black tie dress code and that took over both the ground floor inside and out as well as 18th floor...this meant that we were considered 'not good enough' to get into the hotel we were staying in and also later, not nearly well enough dressed to visit the bar on top due to our standard of dress. There are ways of making such events known to your hotel guests so that no embarrassing situation happens but that did not happen (no website notice, no notice at check in, no notice by the lifts, etc...) just when one is trying to walk up the stairs from the main elevators to the bar...

A rather snooty 'there is a dress code' and blocking the way further was our greeting. I asked politely if this also applied to hotel guests and was told in no uncertain terms in tone and body language that although she felt it below her to address me further, that this indeed did apply to hotel guests as well. Rather embarrassed and with a guest from Asia (where face means everything) I had to say sorry and ask my guest to reconsider our choice for the drink and go elsewhere. This is only the second time in my nearly 50 year life that I have been refused based on dress code. Needless to say I was not impressed.

The event may have booked the spaces for private hire but then please do make guests aware that they are not welcome or that there is a different dress code required before they get into the situation that causes issue.

The SO brand does indeed fit better with the style and clientele of the hotel to a very large degree, however, there are those of us that are not always in a suit and do appreciate design without any snobbiness or being looked down upon. There are plenty of places both in Vienna and elsewhere where I can get snobby and 'you're not good enough for here' service.

I do hope that the hotel succeeds with the new branding and the younger, hipper concept, I do wonder if there are that many young affluent people that can afford the prices though over time. Many of the guests I used to see here were 'normal' in dress but simply wanted something nicer and unique in design and weren't penalised for it but did help to fund the hotel when the rich and famous weren't staying.

So, long story, short purpose. The SO is a different beast, if you are a fancy dresser, then nothing will change for you and the eye candy will likely improve for you. If you like an understated elegance and smart casual look though, well maybe consider your choice. I will be and am now on the hunt for another hotel to stay in that does want my custom even if I am not dressed 'for success!'

A great hotel design, lovely views, just a bit more formal and 'are you good enough to stay here' mentality from some staff or management have made it undesirable for me going forward. Shame really, buyer beware.

(to answer the question of whether I have told anyone at the hotel or management afterwards about this: No. I'll vote with my feet thank you.)

Safe travels.
This is really...Unbelievable
you MUST send a complaint IMO.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is really...Unbelievable
you MUST send a complaint IMO.
Agreed that it was rather surreal. First world problems eh? Maybe (hopefully a one off) and I by no means wish to say that others will also experience this but it is a data point.

Given that this was my third stay this year (and my spend here was around 2,600 Euro this year over those three stays / 9 nights) and that I've stayed for the past 5 years IIRC, it is a shame but I'll simply move on and look to explore elsewhere that will want my custom. Life is too short and not worth the aggravation in my view. I appreciate it does not let the hotel know or make any changes but we'll see from future reviews if others fall foul of this change or it was a one off.

Safe travels.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:03 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
This sort of stuff makes my blood boil. A hotel is first and foremost for guests who stay there. Everything else must be secondary. Making paying guest feel uncomfortable is just outrageous. It's none of their business how one "dresses"
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Agreed that it was rather surreal. First world problems eh? Maybe (hopefully a one off) and I by no means wish to say that others will also experience this but it is a data point.

Given that this was my third stay this year (and my spend here was around 2,600 Euro this year over those three stays / 9 nights) and that I've stayed for the past 5 years IIRC, it is a shame but I'll simply move on and look to explore elsewhere that will want my custom. Life is too short and not worth the aggravation in my view. I appreciate it does not let the hotel know or make any changes but we'll see from future reviews if others fall foul of this change or it was a one off.

Safe travels.
Hi there BotB, I really enjoyed reading your reviews, having stayed there twice before and planning to stay again just after xmas. Sorry to tell you what to do - I think it's my inner Jewish mother talking - but I really think that you should write to them and tell them how annoyed and angry you are about your previous experience. I would have been furious too, but it made me a little sad to read that you won't got back there again. I've only stayed in the basic room - hardly basic at all - but I have to say, I think it's one of the most amazing hotel rooms that I've ever stayed in. I guess if you don't like white, then that would be a problem! Or if you're looking for old fashioned chintzy type luxury. Otherwise it's just extraordinary. And that was with the furniture that was starting to fray etc. But then I am into modern architecture/design. But things like the view is just incredible too, as you know. We stayed on the 17th floor and it was fantastic. As was the breakfast. Oh, and the spa too is just brilliant!!! Yeah, I just think that it's such a unique and special hotel. And if it was me who had had that experience of yours, I would write and tell them how I feel and get them to put it right somehow. You should tell them that it has made you want to look elsewhere. I'm absolutely sure they wouldn't want to lose your custom.

Julian x
gilbertaue likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone and for the kind words re: reviews jrichardf (that is also very much appreciated as I am sure everyone that takes the time to write reviews on FT will agree and appreciate feedback so thanks in the name of all Accor reviewers!)

I have cooled down somewhat since the event and since ranting about it and will try to write the hotel this week with a very (for me at least) brief summary of the issue to let them know and to see what the response is. If I get a response I'll let everyone know (and equally if I don't after a while!)

I do love the hotel design and view from that 18th floor, it would be a shame to have to go elsewhere but I will still look around to see if any new places have come up that can rival this one which it is always good to check out the competition and ensure one is in the best place for one's personal value but also because Vienna is such a thriving city that should be having more than one such modern hotel. I note that a Rosewood chain hotel is planned and will definitely try that when it arrives but there must be other luxury hotels with a minimalist modern design that wants passionate customers (that don't happen to always be in suits or dressed to the 9's).

EDIT: I have previously tried the Hilton's here and reviewed some of those, I've tried the Novotel around the corner (don't need to do that again!) and also the Park Hyatt twice (which I've reviewed on here as well) but none of those have the same modern minimalist design and French flair of the Sofitel.

I have always wondered about the Hotel Topazz and the Do & Co. hotel at the Cathedral and surely there must be a Hundertwasser designed hotel in Vienna?...any others that people can think of (if that is not too far off topic for this thread and as an option for the SO refugees?

Thanks for the comments everyone, safe travels.

BotB
gilbertaue and Goldorak like this.

Last edited by BotB; Oct 16, 2018 at 3:46 pm Reason: adding EDIT bit...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.