Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Trip Report: The German Odyssey! Berlin/Mainz/Munich/Neuschwanstein/Rhine River

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Trip Report: The German Odyssey! Berlin/Mainz/Munich/Neuschwanstein/Rhine River

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thumbs up Photo Trip Report: The German Odyssey! Berlin/Mainz/Munich/Neuschwanstein/Rhine River

There was a stretch of five weeks in 2010 that I had five back-to-back trips. Four of them have turned into Photo Trip Reports in this Forum. They are:

Colorlessly Stuck in a Time Trap - UA Transpac in F/C
Sleepless in Taipei
Walking Around Dublin
Shanghai: Old City with Modern Make-up

You may find links to these four trips at the bottom of this post.

The fifth trip was to Germany. It was also a working trip just like the other four. The only difference was I took my family with me, and we planned a vacation to tour parts of Germany after my work ended. It was a wonderful trip/vacation.... A trip that my kids (when they grow up) will remember to talk to their kids about.

The beauties, food, and histories totally captured us during our two weeks in Germany.

Often, we focus on the "getting there and getting back" part of trips in our trip reports, and we sometimes overlook the wonders surrounding us at each destination. The quality time spent with family/friends, the magnificient views we see, the great food we ate, the laughs we shared, and the storied we were told are all, IMHO, the best parts of any trips.

......... Stay Tuned!

My other photo trip reports can be accessed by click on the titles below:

1st Time in Delhi! Experience 4 Different SQ 777 J Seats/Cabins
Colorlessly Stuck in A Time Trap - Another LH Asia-EU C Trip!
Discover Malta's Past and Present! LH C & 1st Time on Air Malta!
The Macau Differences -Turbojet Across the Mouth of Pearl River!
This is London! - Inaugural LH A380 Frankfurt-Beijing Service!!
Hi Seoul, Soul of Asia! - First time flying Asiana!
The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg:EU-Asia on LH F & 1st time on Lux Air
Shanghai – An Old City with Modern Make-Ups; LH C from EU to Asia!
Guinness, Trinity, Walking around Dublin- Another LH C Trip Report!
Sleepless in Taipei - Cattle Class over Taiwan Strait on CA/CX!
Colorlessly Stuck in a Time Trap - Not Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!
Plaza Mayor/Heldenplatz, MAD/VIE, LH & 1st time on Austrian/Adria Airways!
Time Square Loses its Colors...Not Just Another UA Trip Report!
Godiva, Neuhaus - Sweeties of Brussels, LH/KA C, CX Wing & SAS Lounge
iPhone Photo Report:PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class
Round-the World on UA (new F Suite), SQ A380/77W (Business), LH 744 (Business) and BD A320 (Business)

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Apr 27, 2011 at 3:25 am
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flight to Frankfurt

Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency Mainz 1 of 2

Hyatt Regency Mainz has been coverd in several other trip reports previouly. It is located on the west bank of Rhine River. A very nice hotel and fantastic views of the Rhine River from the Hyatt Lounge on the top floor.

Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Great photos, as usual I'm pleased to see the HR Mainz, as I stayed there in March, although it was only for one night. The Rhein River is very pleasant to view from the Regency Floor.

Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
More great photos UA_Flyer, looking forward to the rest.

Will you have time to visit BMW World in Munich? It's really worth a visit in my opinion.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Focus on Rhine River

The Rhine flows from Graubünden in the eastern Swiss Alps to the North Sea coast in the Netherlands and is one of the longest and most important rivers in Europe, at about 1,233 km (766 mi), with an average discharge of more than 2,000 m3/s (71,000 cu ft/s).

The Rhine and the Danube formed most of the northern inland frontier of the Roman Empire and, since those days, the Rhine has been a vital and navigable waterway carrying trade and goods deep inland. It has also served as a defensive feature and has been the basis for regional and international borders. The many castles and prehistoric fortifications along the Rhine testify to its importance as a waterway. River traffic could be stopped at these locations, usually for the purpose of collecting tolls, by the state that controlled that portion of the river.

The Rhine is the longest river in Germany. It is here that the Rhine encounters some of its main tributaries, such as the Neckar, the Main and, later, the Moselle, which contributes an average discharge of more than 300 m3/s (11,000 cu ft/s). Northeastern France drains to the Rhine via the Moselle; smaller rivers drain the Vosges and Jura Mountains, uplands. Most of Luxembourg and a very small part of Belgium also drain to the Rhine via the Moselle. It approaches the Dutch border and the Rhine has an annual mean discharge of 2,290 m3/s (81,000 cu ft/s) and an average width of 400 m (1,300 ft).

Between Bingen and Bonn, the Middle Rhine flows through the Rhine Gorge, a formation which was created by erosion. The rate of erosion equalled the uplift in the region, such that the river was left at about its original level while the surrounding lands raised. The gorge is quite deep and is the stretch of the river which is known for its many castles and vineyards. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site (2002) and known as "the Romantic Rhine", with more than 40 castles and fortresses from the Middle Ages and many quaint and lovely country villages.

Source: Wikipedia
Old May 2, 2011, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From Mainz to Rüdesheim 1 of 2

Old May 2, 2011, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Great photos, as usual I'm pleased to see the HR Mainz, as I stayed there in March, although it was only for one night. The Rhein River is very pleasant to view from the Regency Floor.
Yes, it is a fantastic view from the Regency Floor indeed. I hope I will get a chance to stay there on snow day. I heard it looks pretty in the winter.

Originally Posted by matthandy
More great photos UA_Flyer, looking forward to the rest.

Will you have time to visit BMW World in Munich? It's really worth a visit in my opinion.
Thanks. I did not get a chance to go to the BMW World. However, I will be back in Germany again later this year and hope to visit it then.
Old May 2, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency Mainz 2 of 2

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm
Old May 2, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
As always, a great report and stunning photos. Glad your family was able to join you as you have sounded increasingly weary of being away from them in your most recent reports.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From Mainz to Rüdesheim 2 of 2

Old May 3, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rüdesheim 1 of 3

Rüdesheim is a winemaking town in the Rhine Gorge and thereby part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. It lies in the Rheingau-Taunus-Kreis district in the Regierungsbezirk of Darmstadt in Hesse, Germany. It is officially known as Rüdesheim am Rhein.

It lies at the foot of the Niederwald on the Rhine’s right (east) bank on the southern approach to the Lorelei. The town belongs to the Frankfurt Rhine Main Region and is one of Germany’s biggest tourist attractions. Only Cologne Cathedral draws more tourists from other countries. Making the town worth visiting is, not only the wine or even the Old Town itself, but also the picturesque Rheingau landscape together with the romantic Rhine.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 3, 2011 at 9:09 pm
Old May 4, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: AS MVP
wonderful pics!!
Old May 4, 2011, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janehoya
As always, a great report and stunning photos. Glad your family was able to join you as you have sounded increasingly weary of being away from them in your most recent reports.

Thanks very much Jane! it is nice to have my family around on this wonderful tour of Germany.

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
wonderful pics!!
Appreciate your comment and hope you enjoy the rest.
Old May 4, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rüdesheim 2 of 3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.