JFK Run on the Runway 5k

Subscribe
An athletic FTer's dream. ^

April 10th, 2011. 9am.

http://www.jfkrunwayrun.org/

Anyone signed up?
Sorry! I can't make it for this time. Thanks for your efforts and I won't go to JFK for a while.
Sounds like a lot of fun, but I'll be in Vegas. Cheers.
No hills! Hard to get lost, too.

('fraid I won't be in town, though.)
Thanks for this! Interesting....
Quote: Thanks for this! Interesting....
I actually thought of you when I read the thread, wondering if you were in town when it's occurring & if you'd run it. I think it would be a blast!

Cheers.
Quote: I actually thought of you when I read the thread, wondering if you were in town when it's occurring & if you'd run it. I think it would be a blast!
The *only* issue I have is that I'm running the Boston Marathon the next weekend, thus the wisdom of running a 5K race the weekend before is not quite there. Though I could just run it easy and enjoy the atmosphere.
Quote: Though I could just run it easy and enjoy the atmosphere.
If I were there, that's what I would do. It's not often races are held on runways & it is a rather unique FT thing to do.

Friend: So what did you do this weekend? Your usual run around Central Park?

magiciansampras: Nah, I ran around a few 747s.

Cheers
magiciansampras, did you do it? This was my first 5k. Finished with a decent (I think) time. Looking forward to next year.
Quote: magiciansampras, did you do it? This was my first 5k. Finished with a decent (I think) time. Looking forward to next year.
No unfortunately I did not. Two reasons: 1) I have signed up for the Scotland 10K in CP long ago and totally forgot about it, so I didn't want to waste the registration money (I'm doing the (9+1 for the marathon next year) and 2) I thought I would be too pumped up to run slowly. I'm running the Boston marathon next weekend so I couldn't really run fast today, I needed to run slow. Easier to do that on my home course of CP than on a runway I think.

Maybe next year! How was it?
Quote: magiciansampras, did you do it? This was my first 5k. Finished with a decent (I think) time. Looking forward to next year.
Congrats! So tell us about the experience of running at JFK.

Cheers.
Quote: No unfortunately I did not. Two reasons: 1) I have signed up for the Scotland 10K in CP long ago and totally forgot about it, so I didn't want to waste the registration money (I'm doing the (9+1 for the marathon next year) and 2) I thought I would be too pumped up to run slowly. I'm running the Boston marathon next weekend so I couldn't really run fast today, I needed to run slow. Easier to do that on my home course of CP than on a runway I think.

Maybe next year! How was it?
Quote: Congrats! So tell us about the experience of running at JFK.

Cheers.
Honestly, I loved it. I finished with an 8:38 pace...nothing to write home about, but decent for my first 5k (and I just quit smoking..again...about a week ago). The sight of a landing EK 777 and many ac taking off above us was only more motivating. Quite the experience to run a runway on/from which I've so often landed and departed (22L).

Looking to do a few more 5ks over the next several months. Any suggestions for memorable runs? (a few pics to come)