Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What to do on an overnight layover / connection at EWR / Newark (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do on an overnight layover / connection at EWR / Newark (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster

EWR from 12am-8am

Hey everyone, suppose i dont want to pay 70-100 bucks a night for a stay at the hotel, how would you recommend i sleep in newark? i read that they have a baggage check in at terminal C, so i could leave my check in bag there and find some place to sleep.

any tips on where i can go so that i wont be harassed by bums etc? i have a red carpet club membership but i'm guessing non of those in the area are open during the times i'm there?

thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:27 am
Original Poster

EWR from 12am-8am

Hey everyone, suppose i dont want to pay 70-100 bucks a night for a stay at the hotel, how would you recommend i sleep in newark? i read that they have a baggage check in at terminal C, so i could leave my check in bag there and find some place to sleep.

any tips on where i can go so that i wont be harassed by bums etc? i have a red carpet club membership but i'm guessing non of those in the area are open during the times i'm there?

thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

For previous related threads on this topic, please see also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...yover-ewr.html

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; May 31, 2011 at 11:14 am Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by sychan

thanks!
If you stay in the sterile area you should not be worried about "bums." Not sure but I would think the US RCC would open around 5-6AM. But don't expect much sleep. Typically a lot of cleaning and therefore noise goes on after the last flight comes in.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
http://www.sleepinginairports.net is your friend for this type of thing.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
http://www.sleepinginairports.net is your friend for this type of thing.
I was going to point the OP in that direction, but looked at the information they have for EWR, and most of it is either 10 years old, or just a rant about service/operations at the airport, and what little was left beyond that didn't seem very helpful.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by nerd
I was going to point the OP in that direction, but looked at the information they have for EWR, and most of it is either 10 years old, or just a rant about service/operations at the airport, and what little was left beyond that didn't seem very helpful.
Agreed. I glanced at it and the info on EWR leaves a lot to be desired. Better than nothing I suppose.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:12 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by sychan

thanks!
Alternatively, you could make a night-trip of it into Manhattan, get a bite to eat, etc. Here's one thread that came up in a search for "overnight layover", and themicah has posted some relevant older threads at the bottom:

Old May 22, 2011, 3:10 pm

Talking 11+ hour layover in Newark

Hi everyone and thank you for a great forum.

I got some good deals on tickets but will be staying in EWR nwark airport for 11 plus hours.

I was wondering if:

1:is there a safe good cheap hotel close by that I can trust there will be a shuttle at 4 am or so? My flight is around 6:30. domestic to Phoenix.

2: is there a place at the airport itself where one can sleep.

3: is there a movie theater or some other entertainment?

any input or help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks a lot,
Michael
Old May 22, 2011, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, LifeLight. I am moving your thread to the NYC Forum which also includes info re: Newark airport.
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 22, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Welcome to FT!
If your layover is during the day head into the city. It's easy to do (look through this subforum on the cheapest way to get into NYC).
check out this site for info on sleeping in airports. There are no hotels in the airport itself. There are also no movie theaters in the airport itself, this is not Singapore
Old May 22, 2011, 4:07 pm

You can sleep in the airport or at the Marriott that is on the property. There are a bunch of hotels around the airport that you can also chose from and I'm betting some have 24 hour shuttle service but I don't know which.

There's plenty of entertainment to be had if you head just a few miles north. To New York City.

Getting in around 6pm you could easily head in to Manhattan for dinner, back out to a hotel and then up in the morning for the flight. Or one of the many restaurants in Newark's Ironbound district.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:07 pm

Yes - you can catch a movie easily enough. The AMC Jersey Gardens Theatre is about 5+ minutes away. They have 20 screens.

Just catch the Shuttle from AirTrain Station P4 at the airport.
Old May 22, 2011, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a Marriott on the airport grounds (perhaps it's private property, but it's certainly on the access. There is 24-hour shuttle service and it's a 2-10 min. ride depending on where you get off. Airport loop stops at EWR rail station where you can hop New Jersey Transit into NY Penn Station (20 mins). That puts you in the middle of Manhattan. Depending on finances, consider taking a cab back out.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:01 am

wow thank you so much.

You guys are quite amazing!!

I am arriving at EWR around 8 pm...is it possible to check my bags in for us airways at that time after i pick up my luggage?

I am curious about the marriot. I am Danish so I do not know what that term
stands for. Is it a general term or the name of some specific sleeping quarters at the air port?

I am quite exited about the possibility of going to Manhattan since I have never been in NY ever, except EWR many times....mainly I wanna sleep and go home, been traveling for 6 months.

My plane leaves at 6:30 am so I need a shuttle real early, is that usually doable?

Thanks a lot everyone,
Michael

PS I did get my 11 hour layover for a cheap ticket so I consider it important to keep the costs down. LOL Otherwise I might as well have spent the money on a connecting flight although it seemed very hard to get one.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Marriott hotel chain is probably one of the top three in the US (besides Hilton, Holiday Inn).

Public Transportation into Manhattan is easy and economical so I would enjoy as much of your evening in Manhattan visiting tourist sites, etc.
Regarding sleep - besides shower - not sure of your sleep requirements but sleeping a full night before an early 6.5+ hr flight is not desirable to me but there are MULTIPLE cheaper hotels in downtown EWR (Fairfield Inn, Hampton Inn & Comfort Suites, etc. etc.) While they may not have 24 hr shuttle if the cost is significantly lower than the Marriott the cab ride would be worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.