Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Subscribe
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...html?ana=yfcpc

Looks like Starwood will be taking over management of this hotel, which will remain unbranded until renovations are finished, at which point it will become a Westin.

I've never actually stayed at the Helmsley, but it'll be nice to have another option on the east side.
Good location.
It will have to be quite the major rennovation if they are going to bring it up to Westin standards.
"At closing, Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc. will take over the management of the property as an unbranded hotel."

"The transaction is expected to close in late March 2012."

Is this an error that should read March 2011? Or will ownership really not even change to Host until 2012?

Edited to add:
I am nearly certain that this is an error by the news article's author. Host is expected to close on the property in March 2011.

How is this hotel currently, has anyone stayed at this property? The have a 50% off promo in Jan and Feb and they also have a BID for your room system.
From the WSJ:
Quote:
"It's a great three-star [hotel] that hasn't had any capital reinvested of consequence in 10-plus years," says Lawrence Wolfe, senior managing director at Eastdil Secured in New York, who isn't involved in the sale. "It needs a heavy redo [of] $50,000 in each guest room plus money into the public area and facade."
I stayed there when it was a HARLEY, way before it was a Helmsley. Back when it was a very very nice hotel. Would love to stay there again if it's up to snuff! Just as I've been despairing over the loss of the 2 Ws on the east side! Wow. I really look forward to this!
Excellent location for those of us who love to visit NYC but don't necessarily want the noise and commotion of Times Square. Great news! ^
I'd love for them to take over the Sandcastle in Sarasota from Leona as well.
nice bathrooms in the lobby.. more an old school/white shoe type currently.. good location from Grand Central and UN..
Quote: I'd love for them to take over the Sandcastle in Sarasota from Leona as well.
And Central Park?
Quote: I'd love for them to take over the Sandcastle in Sarasota from Leona as well.
Interesting, as it used to be a Sheraton. I also like the idea that Leona is still controlling the hotels from beyond the grave. Sounds like something she might do
Quote: Interesting, as it used to be a Sheraton. I also like the idea that Leona is still controlling the hotels from beyond the grave. Sounds like something she might do
Didn't Leona's dog inherit her fortune? If so, Westin, with its pet-friendly policies, makes sense

More seriously, not only does it put SPG back in Midtown East Side, it will help them better compete against the nearby Grand Hyatt, which is also receiving a major refurbishment.
Quote: . . . not only does it put SPG back in Midtown East Side, it will help them better compete against the nearby Grand Hyatt, which is also receiving a major refurbishment.
I agree. Personally, I look forward to this addition to the Westin brand in NYC.
This hotel will need some serious remodeling, and some new staff.
Quote: I agree. Personally, I look forward to this addition to the Westin brand in NYC.
+1 Looking forward to updates
It's now showing as a Category 4 hotel (bookable for April 2011).