Most Durable Carry on Luggage

Subscribe
I am looking for the most durable carry on luggage. I fly amost every week and always carry on my bag. I am on my 4th bag in about 4 years. All bags seem to have issues with the wheels. Some have completely broke lose while others just stop turning. I have had Samsonite, department store and Swiss Gear from Target. Maybe this is just part of traveling but hopefully others have had better luck with other brands. Thanks.
Welcome to FT! I've been pretty happy with Briggs and Riley--very durable, wheels easily through airports and the wheels in particular seem to stand up to punishment. In addition to being durable, it has a lifetime guarantee that I've actually never had to utilize. The store that you buy it from might have a small service charge for shipping it to repair--you might ask about that before purchasing the bag. But beyond that all repairs are free.

I believe B&G bags are more expensive than those you've been using. But for the amount you travel and how you been going through those other bags, the investment would be worth it.
emlane, welcome to posting on FlyerTalk. I'll move this thread to the Travel Products forum for discussion. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Quote: I am looking for the most durable carry on luggage. I fly amost every week and always carry on my bag. I am on my 4th bag in about 4 years. All bags seem to have issues with the wheels. Some have completely broke lose while others just stop turning. I have had Samsonite, department store and Swiss Gear from Target. Maybe this is just part of traveling but hopefully others have had better luck with other brands. Thanks.
Try the Zuca Pro (www.zuca.com) - very strong bag, has heavy duty wheels which are easy and cheap to replace if needed.

Full disclosure, I have no connection to the Zuca company, other than being a very satisfied customer
I have had good luck with my three Rimowa pieces, one of which I have been using for 20 years. The two newer ones are from the Salsa line, the old one is an aluminum briefcase. So far, no issues whatsoever. However, I do not travel nearly as much as you do.
Quote: I am looking for the most durable carry on luggage. I fly amost every week and always carry on my bag. I am on my 4th bag in about 4 years. All bags seem to have issues with the wheels. Some have completely broke lose while others just stop turning. I have had Samsonite, department store and Swiss Gear from Target. Maybe this is just part of traveling but hopefully others have had better luck with other brands. Thanks.
The mailman just dropped this off at my house:

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510LOC

Good luck breaking that
There seem to be two schools of thought when it comes to luggage. 1) Buy the cheap stuff, replace it when it breaks, and 2) buy better stuff. You seem to have tried option 1, and have given up on it.

I placed an order with the Stop Over Store for a Luggage Works Purdy Neat roll-on bag. It's the bag you see cabin and flight deck crews carry. The wheels are the same sealed-bearing ones used on roller blades.

I can't wait to get the bag and try it out. It does come recomended on this and other forums. Also, the argument that sold me was talking with a pilot about how well the bags hold up.
Quote: ...Briggs and Riley--very durable, wheels easily through airports and the wheels in particular seem to stand up to punishment. In addition to being durable, it has a lifetime guarantee that I've actually never had to utilize. The store that you buy it from might have a small service charge for shipping it to repair--you might ask about that before purchasing the bag. But beyond that all repairs are free.
+1 on Briggs & Riley products. Worth every penny for the *GENUINE* no-questions-asked lifetime warranty. In the long term, you'll spend a lot less for never EVER having to replace the bag (beyond your own personal desire to do so).

One of ours was damaged by either TSA or the airline a few years back. Fortunately, we live within driving distance of an authorized repair shop. Other than the rather long wait to get it back (seems like it took about two weeks), and the cost of gas and automobile wear-and-tear, it cost us nothing to have it put back into like-new condition.

Furthermore, in addition to being extremely durable, B&R products are thoughtfully and sensibly designed. For the first time in my life, I do not dread packing for lengthy trips!

We own two roll-aboards, a large wardrobe, two suitcases, a laptop bag and a tote. One of the roll-aboards has been used very heavily for more than 10 years and barely shows any wear at all (unless you look real close at the wheeled area).

Cannot say enough good things about this product!
I have surprised myself with a Tumi Alpha to celebrate my immigration that's one well built piece. Pricey for sure but at least I had a very good excuse
Quote: The mailman just dropped this off at my house:

http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1510LOC

Good luck breaking that
Dear ScottC, what kind of money does this cost (sorry if this question is too intrusive). But you can give a general idea without being specific.
The website does not have a price.
Quote: Dear ScottC, what kind of money does this cost (sorry if this question is too intrusive). But you can give a general idea without being specific.
The website does not have a price.
Using Google shopping around $200-300.
Quote: Using Google shopping around $200-300.
Thanks a lot! That sounds reasonable for what is being promised in the video shown on the website.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

Again for Briggs and Riley. I have routinely dragged overstuffed B&R Baseline bags up and down flights of stairs, bouncing them on each concrete step going down and not a hint of damage. Had some of the pieces for more than 10 years. Only real damage was when one of our friendly TSA folks thought the zipper pulls I had neatly placed together on a bag I checked were locks and took a pair of bolt cutters to them from what I could tell. Nearly indestructible, and an unconditional lifetime warranty, even against airline damage or TSA damage.
Another recent B&R convert. Was using Samsonite and Tumi. The Samsonite died in less than 2 yrs and the Tumi I seldom use since it would cost a bomb to repair now that they no longer have lifetime warranties.
Luggage
Personally I love Eagle Creek--lightweight (relatively), lots of pockets, and (most importantly), Eagle Creek guarantees it for life (and they really mean it). I've returned stuff to them and they've either fixed it or given me a new one. It really is a lifetime guarantee.