Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

REVEALED: How to correctly authorize an e-upgrade for someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus

I know I've heard stories about many FTer's having trouble authorizing another passenger's upgrade using your own e-certs and you are NOT travelling with the passenger using the upgrade. Yesterday's CAI (Computer Assisted Instruction) lesson touched on how to do just that. This is one to print out or write down so you can take it along if the agent is having trouble.

Reference: S*UAL/CS UG

-----AUTHORIZATION PROCEDURE-----
- MP Members must authorize use of UG when they are sponsoring another customer's upgrade.
- Display PNR that contains e-upgrade.
- Note FQAH SSR is in Pending (PN) status
- Verify MP number from member's card and a photo ID.
- Enter confirmation by changing SSR pending status to Confirmed:
PNR SSR (Alt + F2) > Change radio button > Add SSR line number > Status Code: AU

----------------

I hope that this assists you in your further upgrade gift-giving I should make a note that while your upgrade may come from a 1K account, the customer's upgrade clears as their own Mileage Plus status, not the sponsor's.

Happy Travels!
Kai

------------------
SkyWest Airlines - your friendly regional carrier and your #1 on-time airline for 1st Quarter 2003!

My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines, Delta Air Lines & Continental Airlines respectively.

[This message has been edited by UAX@SFO (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the directions it looks like this is good for when a 1K is traveling with a companion, correct?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
No, this is for when you are sponsoring an upgrade when your are NOT travelling with the passenger.

Happy Travels!
Kai

------------------
SkyWest Airlines - your friendly regional carrier and your #1 on-time airline for 1st Quarter 2003!

My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines, Delta Air Lines & Continental Airlines respectively.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UNITED959:
From the directions it looks like this is good for when a 1K is traveling with a companion, correct? </font>
No, not in the case of an HK-49. Yes in the case of 500 milers.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
No, not in the case of an HK-49. Yes in the case of 500 milers.</font>
Actually not true, this procedure is used to gift both 500 milers and HK49's.
Both are E-Upgrades contained in the sponsors MP account.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldtrav:
</font>
If this is true, then it's great news. But I was always under the impression that 500 milers were non-transferable. HK49s and SWUs could be given as "gifts," but the 500s were yours to keep.

Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldtrav:
</font>
Ageed, I was addressing the "companion" issue. 500 milers can be used to upgrade a traveling companion, presumably someone at the airport counter with you, possibly traveling on the same flight? HK-49's can be transferred to anyone, not just a traveling companion. In either case the same procedure is used, and required the 'gifter' to authorize the transfer in person.

http://www.ual.com/page/article/1,,50027,00.html

(from 500 miler T & C)
Companion: Upgrade is not transferable, but may be used to upgrade one traveling companion to the same class of service following the same guidelines. Additional upgrade certificate(s) will be required.

[This message has been edited by transpac (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAX@SFO:
No, this is for when you are sponsoring an upgrade when your are NOT travelling with the passenger.

Happy Travels!
Kai

</font>
The reason I ask is because in your instructions, it says:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">

</font>
PNR to me means "reservation." What if the sponsor doesn't have any PNR but just an MP account?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the recipient's PNR (aka Giftee, Upgradee).
Old Jul 31, 2003, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
I upgraded my friend & his wife to OGG with HK49s. Went to the airport, signed the bluey, etc. Got the new itin printed out with the upgraded seats.

But they I also typed up a "To Whom It May Concern at United" letter that I told my friend to carry with him saying that I transferred four HK49s to him, the res #, the date I went to the airport & agent who fixed the record, and my cell phone #. I xeroxed my 1K card onto the letter. Total CYA letter just in case there are any questions or trouble. (BTW I trust my friend implicitly with this info), Figure it couldn't hurt ...
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Platinum; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Discoverist; Avis Preferred Plus
Kai -

Thanks for the info, but I too was under the impression the 500-milers were not transferable, except in the case of upgrading a travel companion.

To clarify, it sounds like you can gift 500-milers, but you must do so in person at the airport?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dromomaniac:
To clarify, it sounds like you can gift 500-milers, but you must do so in person at the airport?</font>
As I understand it you can use your 500 milers to upgrade your traveling companion. I assume this means that both you and the beneficiary of your largesse are at the airport together, possibly traveling on the same aircraft, or not (?). So yes, you must be at the airport to upgrade your traveling companion. Same day, same time, same bat-channel, same airport, same (or possibly different) flight?

Edited to add: There was a brief time in the past whereby you could transfer 500 milers to individuals not traveling with you, just as you can with HK-49's. That benefit was rescinded, and not available for ~ 6 months, or so.

[This message has been edited by transpac (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by transpac:
Edited to add: There was a brief time in the past whereby you could transfer 500 milers to individuals not traveling with you, just as you can with HK-49's. That benefit was rescinded, and not available for ~ 6 months, or so.

</font>
Yep, it's called paper certificates!

Old Aug 1, 2003, 8:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAX@SFO:
Reference: S*UAL/CS UG

-----AUTHORIZATION PROCEDURE-----
- MP Members must authorize use of UG when they are sponsoring another customer's upgrade.
- Note FQAH SSR is in Pending (PN) status
- Verify MP number from member's card and a photo ID.
- Enter confirmation by changing SSR pending status to Confirmed:
PNR SSR (Alt + F2) &gt; Change radio button &gt; Add SSR line number &gt; Status Code: AU

----------------

</font>
Thank you, Kai, for the instructions.

I have one question about the blue form everyone is talking about. Could some experts clarify it?

The above instructions contains no reference to the blue form.

Has anyone transferred HK-49s without it?

I am gifting HK-49s to a FTer and I think I have done it via UA's Tokyo office, which asked for a photo ID and a MP card but never any form to sign whatsoever.

I am wondering if the gift'ee' would have any trouble at the airport.

It's a bit of mess, with different agents in the U.S. and Japan seeming to tell me and the giftee odd things.

I really wish they are paper certs like SWU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.