Search

Existing 737 getting new seats, bins and refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Existing 737 getting new seats, bins and refurbishment

American Enhances Existing 737-800 Fleet

Updates to 76 Aircraft to Include New Cabin Interiors, Improved Inflight Entertainment Systems and Additional Storage
Updated 737s Will Match Customer Amenities on 84 New 737-800s that American is Adding to its Fleet by 2011
FORT WORTH, Texas, June 29, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

American Airlines today announced that the second of its original 76 Boeing 737-800s - which are being updated to match the customer benefits and amenities featured on its newly-delivered 737-800 aircraft - begins flying with a range of new features to improve the travel experience. Once the updates are completed, American's initial fleet of 76 737-800s will match the 84 new Boeing 737-800 aircraft that American began receiving in March 2009 and will continue to receive through 2011.

The new 737-800s are being delivered to American with several enhancements, all of which will be added to the initial 76 737-800 fleet. These include new, more comfortable and spacious First and Economy Class seats, bigger overhead storage bins, updated inflight entertainment systems, and AC power ports. In addition, the new configuration of the 737-800s allows for 12 additional Economy Class seats, for a total of 160 seats.

A prototype of the updated aircraft has been in service since February. American will continue to upgrade the remaining 74 aircraft in its original fleet by installing new seats, new cabin interiors, enhanced inflight entertainment systems, and more storage throughout the aircraft. By accelerating its 737-800 fleet renewal plan last year, American took a significant step in its efforts to invest in products and services that benefit customers, while enhancing its competitive position with new aircraft that are 35 percent more fuel efficient on a seat mile basis than the MD-80 airplanes they will replace. American took delivery of 31 new 737-800s in 2009 and will take delivery of 45 this year and 8 in 2011.

"American remains focused on our long-term future, so it is vital that we continue to reinvest in our products and services to enhance the travel experience for our loyal customers," said Lauri Curtis, American's Vice President - Onboard Service. "Upgrading our existing fleet of 737s to match the new deliveries will benefit our customers, employees, shareholders and the communities we serve. These efforts will also keep our product competitive while offering cost, environmental and operational benefits."

Upon completion, the updated 737s will feature new First Class seats designed specifically for American by Weber Aircraft. The seats have a "slim-line" seatback design and innovative seat bottom that create enhanced space and increase customer comfort. The Economy Class cabin will feature 144 newly-designed seats that utilize a higher recline pivot to provide increased knee room. Throughout the cabin, drop-down LCD monitors will replace CRT monitors and a digital media file server will provide better-quality video and audio entertainment. A 110 volt AC power port will be located at every First Class seat, and two power ports will be located per every three Economy Class seats for easy accessibility.

In addition, bigger overhead storage bins will significantly increase customer cabin luggage capacity by allowing rolling bags to be loaded wheels first. Over time, American intends to equip all of its 737s with Gogo(R) Inflight Internet service, which will allow passengers to surf the Web, check email and send instant messages conveniently from the air.

The update effort began in May and the retrofitting is being done by American's mechanics at its maintenance base in Tulsa, Okla.

"Projects like this 737 retrofit are unique, rewarding and are appreciated by our engineering and maintenance teams, because we know that our work is going to directly improve the onboard experience of our customers," said Bill Cavitt, Vice President - Engineering, Performance Improvement Strategies and Quality Assurance.

To view footage of the 737 retrofit being done by American's mechanics in Tulsa, please visit: http://www.boeing.com/Features/2010/..._06_28_10.html.

About American Airlines

American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection(R) serve 250 cities in 40 countries with, on average, more than 3,400 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 900 aircraft. American's award-winning website, AA.com(R), provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of the oneworld(R) Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve nearly 700 destinations in more than 130 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, AA.com, We know why you fly and AAdvantage are registered trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: AMR)

AmericanAirlines(R) We know why you fly(R)
Current AMR Corp. releases can be accessed on the Internet.
The address is http://www.aa.com
Source: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....le&ID=1442639&

Good news; the new interiors are getting good reviews, and the 2 extra rows in economy makes them possible from an AA financial standpoint. Still no individual IFE or any mention of Wi-Fi. Also, no mention when the conversion will be completed; AA has always been slow with this type of projects, so it could be 2015 or earlier.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Originally Posted by hillrider
...Still no individual IFE or any mention of Wi-Fi.....
"...Over time, American intends to equip all of its 737s with Gogo(R) Inflight Internet service, which will allow passengers to surf the Web, check email and send instant messages conveniently from the air...."
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
This is good - I like the new 737-800s.

Related: When do they plan to retire all of their MD-80s? I know they are currently in process, but just wondering if they have a target timeline.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
"...Over time, American intends to equip all of its 737s with Gogo(R) Inflight Internet service, which will allow passengers to surf the Web, check email and send instant messages conveniently from the air...."
^

I'm seeing the optometrist today...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This sounds like a smart, cost-effective move. Some more seats (after a galley-ectomy), with greater comfort and knee room, stretched overhead bins, more smaller screen overhead IFE screens (no more "bump" CRTs to hit my head on!), etc. etc. and, AA gets it done more economically by DIY with AA employees. ^

Maybe this is the beginning... the skies are different today, with mega-airlines like UA/CO and DL/NW.

Anyone know which N- is the first, now completed? I'm looking forward to a report from an FTer...

And, thanks for sharing hillrider!

Full disclosure: This mod tweaked the title for searchability and full info.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Am I the only one skeptical about the "enhanced" First Class seats? Don't the seat bottoms already slide forward in the 738? Unless they are increasing pitch, recline, or width, I don't see how this is a benefit.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Anyone know which N- is the first, now completed? I'm looking forward to a report from an FTer...
I believe it's N921AN (3AW)
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:00 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Also, no mention when the conversion will be completed; AA has always been slow with this type of projects, so it could be 2015 or earlier.
Recheck the sub-headline (and the audio at the end of the Boeing clip)
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trojanman
Am I the only one skeptical about the "enhanced" First Class seats? Don't the seat bottoms already slide forward in the 738? Unless they are increasing pitch, recline, or width, I don't see how this is a benefit.
No, it's actually a better seat than the current one, at least IMHO and based on the reports I've seen. Remember, it's the same seat as on the new 738s that they're taking delivery of. Having said that, it is basically the same seat, certainly in width and pitch, just slightly more comfortable.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
I believe that timing on the sub-headline ("Updated 737s Will Match Customer Amenities on 84 New 737-800s that American is Adding to its Fleet by 2011") refers to the the new deliveries, not of the retrofit, but I still haven't seen the optometrist...
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I have yet to try the new 737's. Thanks for the info. Now if they can replace the MD's out of FAT with these, I'd be a happy flier
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ramalama8
Related: When do they plan to retire all of their MD-80s? I know they are currently in process, but just wondering if they have a target timeline.
AA has been retiring some MD-80s as they bring new 737s on board. However, they are not buying enough 737s in this cycle to replace the MD-80 fleet overall.

No announcement has been made as to how the rest of the MD-80 fleet will be retired/replaced, so it appears that (very roughly) 150-200 MD-80s will be in service indefinitely, even after the 737 deliveries are complete.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"American plans to have all 76 jetliners refurbished next year." (referring to 2011, in case someone quibbles with this next year...)

The fleet uniformity will hopefully make it easier - fewer threads with "will my 737 flight xxx have the old or new seating?" "I got one of the 737s with old seats - how much compo should I ask for?"

Thanks! hillrider, are AA's 738s going for ETOPS cert, as a group or subset?

I believe it's N921AN (3AW)
Originally Posted by dstan

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 29, 2010 at 10:58 am Reason: add emoticon for context
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:25 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Wiki and User's Guide Sticky updated w/ this thread.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:56 am

This is going to be another slow refurb. And please tell me AA isn't going to issue a press release every time a plane is rerurbed. I hope they do deploy wifi at the same time.

Last edited by 777lover; Jun 29, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.