Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Trip Report: Shanghai – An Old City with Modern Make-Ups; LH C from EU to Asia!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Trip Report: Shanghai – An Old City with Modern Make-Ups; LH C from EU to Asia!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Arrow Photo Trip Report: Shanghai – An Old City with Modern Make-Ups; LH C from EU to Asia!

Shanghai was my fourth stop of a five consecutive weeks of traveling. The first was the Colorless US Trip on UA; second was getting Sleepless in Taipei, and the third was the walking tour of Dublin.

The Dublin Photo Trip Report should be completed in the next a few days.

The Shanghai Photo Trip will be a short report as compare to other ones I have done this year. I did a quick count that the average number of photos shown in my trip reports is about 200. I was only in Shanghai for two days and two nights. Most of the two days were spent in meetings...... nights were the only time I could venture out to take photos.

In this trip report, you will see:

1. LH flights from EU to Asia
2. BD Lounge at DUB
3. LH Lounge (Asia Departure Gates)
4. Pudong Shangri-la Hotel
5. Day and Night shots at Pudong side of Shanghai

Stay Tuned!

My other photo trip reports can be accessed by click on the titles below:

Guinness, Trinity, Walking around Dublin- Another LH C Trip Report!
Sleepless in Taipei - Cattle Class over Taiwan Strait on CA/CX!
Colorlessly Stuck in a Time Trap Trip - Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!
Plaza Mayor/Heldenplatz, MAD/VIE, LH & 1st time on Austrian/Adria Airways!
Time Square Loses its Colors...Not Just Another UA Trip Report!
Godiva, Neuhaus, LH/KA C, CX Wing & SAS Lounge
iPhone Photo Report:PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class
Round-the World on UA (new F Suite), SQ A380/77W (Business), LH 744 (Business) and BD A320 (Business)

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 25, 2010 at 8:42 pm
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
This is gonna be a good one!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
great pictures! looking forward to the TR
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sobore
This is gonna be a good one!
You are putting pressure on me to produce!

Shanghai is a wonderful city with a historical past and modern development. Unfortunately, my trip report will only limit on a couple of sections of the "New" city.

Now, if I can just find a window of time to finish the Dublin report...

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 28, 2010 at 11:24 pm
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
very beautiful
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
You are putting pressure on me to produce!
Shanghai is a wonderful city with a historical past and modern development. Unfortunately, my trip report will only limit on a couple of sections of the "New" city.

Now, if I can just find a window of time to finish the Dublin report...
Nothing new for today???
Old Jun 30, 2010, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As mentioned in my previous trip reports (Walking Around Dublin and Sleepless in Taipei), I suffered stomach problems during Taipei stop of my five-week/five-stop business trip. When I got to the airport in Dublin to fly to Shanghai, I got even worst news….my Nikon 18-55mm zoom was malfunctioning. Its focus seemed to have problem and the lens was a bit loose. I hate something goes wrong with my gadgets….Blackberry, Iphone, computer, Garmin GPS, and camera.

Most of the photos you are going to see (flights, lounges and hotel) in this thread were taken with my 4-year old half-broken Canon Point&Shoot camera and iPhone. After I got to Shanghai, I dished out some $ purchased a brand new Nikon 18-105mm lens. When I get back to Florida later this month, I will send in my Nikon 18-55mm in for warranty repair.

Here are some photos of the BD Lounge ( the only *A lounge) at Dublin and in-flight meals served on the DUB-FRA flight. I am quite impressed with the meals served on LH’s intra-European flights…good quality and varieties.

The English Channel looks quite narrow from 30,000 feet above the ground:

I believe it is the Rhine River in the photo below

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 1, 2010 at 12:38 pm
Old Jun 30, 2010, 2:15 pm

Hi UA_Flyer,

Hope your stomach is feeling better.
Thanks for posting another great report.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Some nice photos! ^
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
Hi UA_Flyer,

Hope your stomach is feeling better.
Thanks for posting another great report.
Thanks for your comments.

My stomach got worse when I reached Shanghai. I had to struggle through the conference I was a main speaker and had problem preparing for my speaking engagement.

Walking around the section of Shanghai I was staying at and taking photos was not great either as I was not feeling well. I am not happy with the photos from the previous trip report (walking tour of Dublin) and this report as I was not in the right frame of mind and mood.

I know there were quite a few defenders of the eggs in the Taipei Trip Report thread, but I can pinpoint my stomach to the 12-day old egg as the cause of my stomach problem. I had nothing else to eat except taking a couple of bites of that egg before the problem started. I chose the egg so that I could take photo of it for readers in the forum.....I won't make similar sacrifice next time around.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 4, 2010 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Frankfurt C Gate Senator Lounge

I am now in Beijing, and the access to Flyertalk has been quite challenging. It takes a good 5 to 7 minutes to load Flyertalk (other sites are working fine). I tried different browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) and the results are the same. It takes 5-7 minutes to post and reply and jump from one thread to another. The formatting and emotion icons are not showing, and I have to manually inert [img] code before and after each photo link. It has been a challenge to load photos in this thread from where I am. What you see below tooK me a good 20 minutes to do. Sorry for the delay in updating this thread.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 10, 2010 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LH Frankfurt to Shanghai

LH has been given out the special edition of its amenity kit featuring a metal box with a photo of A380 in LH livery. These kits are only handed out on flights departing Germany. I am so looking forward to the A380 serving the FRA-PEK-FRA route later this summer. I am a little tired with the same 744 flight I have been taking almost monthly this year.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shanghai Pudong Shangri-la Hotel

I have been staying in Shangri-la chain hotels on and off for the past 15 years, and have considered them one of the best hotel chains in the world. As a North-America based travelers, I did have many opportunities staying in Shangri-La hotels that unless I traveled to Asia, though not too often since 2000. Even when I did travel to Asia, my loyalty with Hyatt and Marriott kept me away from Shangri-la chain of hotels. Now I have been posted back to Asia and with increasing intra-Asia travels projected in the next 2 years, Shangri-La is back in fold.

Pudong Shangri-la is about 15 years old. It is my favorite hotel in Shanghai for its services and location, although the Grand Hyatt located nearby has better overall facility. I like its fitness club and spa for early morning work-out, and Asian dishes it serves. Unfortunately, I don’t get to stay there too often as my employer’s Shanghai office is on the Westside of city and we have a great corporate rate with the nearby Ritz Carlton. The Conference I spoke was held at Shangri-la this year, and I couldn’t be happier having another wonderful stay at this fine hotel.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 3, 2010 at 9:28 am
Old Jul 4, 2010, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Food at Pudong Shangri-La Hotel

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jul 4, 2010 at 5:34 am
Old Jul 4, 2010, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Photos from Hotel Room

Photos to come:

1. Night shots of Pudong side of Shanghai
2. Shanghai in B&W and Color
3. Night shots from Xintiandi - an urban tourist attraction holds the city's historical and cultural legacies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.