Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Photo Trip Report: Colorlessly stuck in a Time Trap - Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photo Trip Report: Colorlessly stuck in a Time Trap - Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2010, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Red face Photo Trip Report: Colorlessly stuck in a Time Trap - Another UA F/C Transpac Trip!

updated as of May 30, 2010

I have already finished posting the photos for this thread. Like my other photo trip reports, there are hundreds more photos from this trip report I hope one day to set up my own public site to share with flying enthusiasts.

Not sure how you all feel about this Black & White trip report? Is it too much or is it just right?

As I said in an earlier post, as a business traveller, flying to/from far away meetings can become quite a routine. After a while, I don't pay attention on all the surroudings anymore during the trip. I am either busily reading or responding to my emails, calling, or my mind is pre-occupied with work. I thought that BW photos would illustrate that "routiness" of business travel and "state of mind" of a business traveller.

This is not a trip report about traveling to vacation, leisure travel or mileage runs that focus on the quality and offerings of airlines and hotels. Instead, I was hoping to tell the mind and mood of a business traveller on a routine trip.

Although I am encouraged by the number of hits of this thread, readers' comments and responses are always appreciated and Welcome.

__________________________________________________ _________

Another week, another trip. Some of us fly the same routes on the same airlines sitting in the same old seats quite often due to work demand.

I am in the middle of such transpac trip. I feel like being trapped in time just like in the movie -The groundhog day. I love that movie!^ Flying in the same old United F seats that I first experienced in the late 90s does not excite me after experiencing the new seats the last 8 months. It actually puts me in a depressing mood. I am not sure if it is the United F seat or I have been traveling for work too much or it's that I had no say this time in picking the flights and the plane I want to fly on this trip. I

Anyway, in order to keep my current trip interesting, I am going to do a Photo Trip Report entirely using Black and White Photos. The trip covers my flights on UA and US (a domestic segment).

PEK-IAD (Posted!)
IAD (Posted!)
IAD-MIA (Posted!)
MIA (Posted!)
FLL-CLT-DCA (Posted!)
IAD-SFO (Posted!)
SFO (Posted!)
SFO-PEK

This photo trip report won't be the same as other ones I have done recently. There will be no photos outside of the airports and airplanes in this report. This report is about stuck in the same travel routines and seeing the same things over and over......

Over the next a few days, I will be taking and posting photos taken in the planes and at the airport.

Here are a couple photos from the start of my trip in PEK earlier this week.

I wished I was flying the 744, unfortunately that 744 just arrived from SFO and stayed overight at PEK.

My other photo trip reports can be accessed by click on the titles below:

Marid/Vienna, first time on Austrian Airlines and Adria Airways
Time Square Loses its Colors...Not Just Another UA Trip Report!
Godiva, Neuhaus, LH/KA C, CX Wing & SAS Lounge
iPhone Photo Report:PEK-FRA-ZRH-MUC-PEK on LH/LX Business Class
Forgo 2 SWU to fly RTW on UA First Suite/SQ 380/77W & LH C

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 30, 2010 at 3:31 pm
Old May 21, 2010, 11:52 am

Great photos as usual.
Old May 22, 2010, 11:51 am

I have always looked forward to your reports.. They are great.. Thanks so much..
Old May 22, 2010, 3:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, CO OnePass, ANA Mileage Club, DL Skymiles, UA Mileage Plus
Thumbs up

Love your trip reports. Can't wait for more.
Old May 22, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: 1K MM
Thank you for the great pictures
Old May 25, 2010, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pre-Departure at Beijing International Airport

Next batch of photos to upload: On board of UA 898 First Class

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 25, 2010 at 8:34 am
Old May 25, 2010, 10:32 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Those "signs" made on the plates with markers are so classy, especially in a F class lounge. It's not that hard to print out something from the computer and make a temporary sign, is it?

Great set of pics, although I personally would have loved to see the food ones in color, but that is a personal preference. ^
Old May 25, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Interesting. I kinda liked the B&W photos...except for the one of the plated meal with shrimp...that didn't look very appealing.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Sorry to hear that you got stuck on a 777. I too find them hard to stomach after a taste of new-configuration.

I love all your reports and whilst I too prefer color photos (especially of food) I think it's great that you are doing something different, and I find the photos very interesting.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw
Great set of pics, although I personally would have loved to see the food ones in color, but that is a personal preference. ^
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Interesting. I kinda liked the B&W photos...except for the one of the plated meal with shrimp...that didn't look very appealing.
Bingo! That is exactly what I was getting at.

When a business traveller flies on the same route frequently, s/he is not going to have the same experience as a traveller who flies on vacation or flies on certain routes infrequently. Things on board or at the airport don't excite a fequent business traveller much anymore, and everything is so routine and could be boring.

On food:

Yes, color looks better, but when I am eating the same food almost every month (and UA is not creative enough to make changes to its menu monthly and by routes), food become boring and B&W photos help me to make the point. Same applies to lounge food.

Most of the food photos will be or have already been posted in the United Forum, and I will provide links to them when I upload the B&W versions in this thread later today. You can be the judge comparing the BW and Color shots.
Old May 26, 2010, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by aw
Those "signs" made on the plates with markers are so classy, especially in a F class lounge. It's not that hard to print out something from the computer and make a temporary sign, is it?

I rather like the plates as signs - something a bit different - gives more the feeling of your typical busy asian restaurant.
Printed out sheets are everywhere and look pretty tacky, especially placed in gold holders like the over the top gold bordello look of some lounges.
YMMV
Old May 26, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Love the photos! ^
Old May 26, 2010, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA 898 PEK-IAD 777 First Class

I was disappointed with my experience of sitting in the late 90’s design of F seat and the soft products. The FAs were excellent, but that was about it.

The seat had problem reset itself to the take-off and landing position. The FAs had to work multiple times to adjust the seats.

F Menu choices were almost the same as the C menu, but the items on the menu have been recycled for the last a few months. At least change the menu more frequently if UA wants to become better airlines (notice I did not say premier or world class).

The IFE had issues. Two of the channels did not work, and noise cancelling feather of the headset actually created a lot of static sounds.

If I was using a redeemed awards or upgrades, then I would not be as upset. However, it is quite different if it is a paid (very expensive) ticket.

Click ->Color photos of food

Next batch of photos will show Washington Dulles International Airport

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 26, 2010 at 11:30 pm
Old May 26, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: DL DM, US CP
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I was disappointed with my experience of sitting in the late 90’s design of F seat and the soft products. The FAs were excellent, but that was about it.

The seat had problem reset itself to the take-off and landing position. The FAs had to work multiple times to adjust the seats.

F Menu choices were almost the same as the C menu, but the items on the menu have been recycled for the last a few months. At least change the menu more frequently if UA wants to become better airlines (notice I did not say premier or world class).

The IFE had issues. Two of the channels did not work, and noise cancelling feather of the headset actually created a lot of static sounds.

If I was using a redeemed awards or upgrades, then I would not be as upset. However, it is quite different if it is a paid (very expensive) ticket.
First I want to say this is a really interesting and well-shot (if slightly melodramatic) trip report so keep up the good work!

I have to ask though, you say you were upset by the service and the quality of seats you received on this flight, but I mean it wasn't as though it was a surprise. When you paid for your (very expensive) ticket, I imagine that you knew that you were booking a flight on a UA 777, of which at best one has been updated, so you knew what you were in for re: the seats. Also, regardless of the seats you had (which in F don't seem to be as drastic of a difference as in C) as someone who calls himself "UA Flyer" its not like the soft product aspect of the flight should have been that shocking either. This is the way UA has decided to do business and I don't see it changing in the near future. Due to its loyal traveler base, it doesn't need to offer the same level of service in F as other airlines do. If it bothers you enough that you have to shoot the trip report in black and white to capture the angst it causes you, fly another airline that will give you the seats and service you want. Fly ANA next time, yes there is a brief connection in NRT, but it might be a nice change of pace from the horrible, soul-crushing monotony of UA F.

Last edited by seanthepilot; May 29, 2010 at 9:26 am
Old May 26, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw

Originally Posted by janehoya
I love all your reports and whilst I too prefer color photos (especially of food) I think it's great that you are doing something different, and I find the photos very interesting.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post.
I appreciate your positive comments.

Originally Posted by chasgoose
First I want to say this is a really interesting and well-shot (if slightly melodramatic) trip report so keep up the good work!

I have to ask though, you say you were upset by the service and the quality of seats you received on this flight, but I mean it wasn't as though it was a surprise. When you paid for your (very expensive) ticket, I imagine that you knew that you were booking a flight on a UA 777, of which at best one has been updated, so you knew what you were in for re: the seats. Also, regardless of the seats you had (which in F don't seem to be as drastic of a difference as in C) as someone who calls himself "UA Flyer" its not like the soft product aspect of the flight should have been that shocking either. This is the way UA has decided to do business and I don't see it changing in the near future. Due to its loyal traveler base, it doesn't need to offer the same level of service in F as other airlines do. If it bothers you enough that you have to shoot the trip report in black and white to capture the angst it causes you, fly another airline that will give you the seats and service you want. Fly ANA next time, yes there is a brief connection in NRT, but it might be a nice change of pace from the horrible, soul-crushing monotony of UA F.
Thanks for your comments.

I want to make sure that I did say FAs services were great. No negative comments on the services in this thread.

On why I flew United and did not choose to fly other airlines:

I think I explained it in OP. I did not have a say in the selection of flights and planes for this particular trip. I had asked for the PEK-SFO(744)-IAD routing, but it was unsuccessful.

When UA switch all PEK flights to 777 later this year, you bet that I will try lobbying hard to fly CO/NH/OZ instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.