Moderately Priced Sushi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moderately Priced Sushi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Moderately Priced Sushi

I have a friend visiting from another country and could use suggestions for a sushi place in Manhattan, priced at maximum $50 per person.

I was thinking of something along the lines of Blue Ribbon, but since I loathe the management of that place, I can't recommend it.

Yes, I know everyone's been to Megu, Morimoto, Nobu and all the other $100+ per person places. Please give me something that fits this "bill."

Doumo arigatou gozaimasu!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any preference on neighborhoods?

At $50pp, you are okay with something that's fairly casual?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:10 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
My favorite place is Poke at 85th & 2nd. $40 per person is easily doable, but it's BYOB/W, cash only, no reservations. It did get a lot easier to get into a few years back when they moved down the street from the old 20-seat location!

You'll see some mixed reviews online, which is fine by me since I'd rather keep the place a secret. If you're looking for a long, quiet dinner with great ambiance, this is not the place for you - however, if you're looking for very fresh sushi at reasonable prices, check it out and make your own decision.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Tatany 72. 2nd Ave b/w 72nd and 73rd. It's been our place for years (even back when it was Tatany 52--yes on 52nd St. ) The sushi is excellent.

Do itashi mashite. Oishii desu!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:06 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Agreed with Poke and Tatany. Sushi Sasabune on E 73rd / 1st Ave is very good, but probably >$50. Also, Sushi of Gari, Haru, Yama, all moderately priced.

I generally found that UES has best sushi. The ones you listed (Morimoto, Megu) are more famous for being famous. I wasn't impressed with their sushi. And definitely not Nobu. It used to be good, but now it just becomes another chain restaurant.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I went to the Hi-Life Bar and Grill on 477 Amsterdam Avenue (Amsterdam and 83rd) and found it reasonably priced and quite tasty. In fact, my Catepillar roll cost less than my beer!

Oh and if you're a Restaurant Rewards member...they're in the program.

http://www.hi-life.com/
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Any preference on neighborhoods?

At $50pp, you are okay with something that's fairly casual?
Any neighborhood, although below, say 125th would be more convenient.

Casual is fine.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 1:30 pm

Sushi Seki (62nd and 1st) is very highly rergarded for quality - but you have to book as it fills up. Small apt. sushi and a beer can be done for less than $50.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Yes, I know everyone's been to Megu, Morimoto, Nobu and all the other $100+ per person places. Please give me something that fits this "bill."
Those places (except maybe Morimoto) don't serve sushi, so not relevant to your query.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
I am taking names!
Thanks, all.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
I have been to East before in both Teaneck, NJ, and Hell's Kitchen (IIRC). Both experiences were satisfactory and affordable. I know there are few other Manahattan locations that I have not been to before and are failing to remember at the moment. However, out of my 6 times there (between the two), I would give a green light on going there.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL-Silver/EK/AA
Shima on 12th St and 2nd Ave
Old Dec 10, 2009, 7:28 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Pickles
Those places (except maybe Morimoto) don't serve sushi, so not relevant to your query.
What are you talking about? Granted, you have to be an idiot to order sushi there, but they all have extensive sushi menus.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Granted, you have to be an idiot to order sushi there
You just answered your own question.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for the restaurant suggestions which have been passed along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.