Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US status recognized for standby list on United?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:29 am
Original Poster

US status recognized for standby list on United?

Some friends invited me over for Thanksgiving (and my birthday) dinner in DTW. So I would need to take a morning flight without connections from DCA/IAD. Hence, my option is United. The fares for afternoon flights are $160 RT (return next day) and the morning flights (like 8:30) are pricing out at $309.

So if I bought a ticket for the afternoon flight, will my US Gold status be recognized on United for the standby list pecking order if I want to take the morning flight?
There seems to be plenty of availability for the 8:30 AM flight on itn.net.

[This message has been edited by Alysia (edited Nov 14, 2003).]
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes. From my experience, if you include your elite DM# on the UA reservation, you'll get priority on the standby list, along with all other benefits they afford to their Premiers at the corresponding elite level. Operational Upgrades are my personal favorite!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
If you are flying on UA metal and trying to credit your US Div. Miles account for the flights, make certain your DM # and status PRINT OUT on your boarding passes. I recently flew UA from IAD-ORD-NRT. Upon check-in at the UA counter at IAD I asked if my US DM # was there and the agent said "YES, it is in the whole record." Upon reaching ORD I went to the agent at the RCC and asked her to re-print my boarding pass WITH my US status and DM number showing. She said it was "in the record" but she did some typing and re-produced my ORD-NRT boarding pass to show my CP status and DM number. Sure enough, three days later, just like clockwork, the ORD-NRT miles and bonuses showed in my US account. No sigh of the IAD-ORD segment at all. Moral of the story: Make sure your US status and DM # are ON YOUR BOARDING PASS!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alysia:
So if I bought a ticket for the afternoon flight, will my US Gold status be recognized on United for the standby list pecking order if I want to take the morning flight?
There seems to be plenty of availability for the 8:30 AM flight on itn.net.
</font>
Absolutely. It totally saved me a month ago when I missed my evening DCA-ORD flight. Long waiting list for the last flights. I was on an award ticket purchased with US miles (which, I learned, does not show your DM# or status - I was in Boarding group 4 as a result, I suppose a little bug still to be ironed out.) The TA asked if I had any frequent flier numbers, gave her my DM number, and she chuckled as the computer jumped me to the top of the standby list because of my GP status. Very cool.

Old Nov 14, 2003, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:
If you are flying on UA metal and trying to credit your US Div. Miles account for the flights, make certain your DM # and status PRINT OUT on your boarding passes. I recently flew UA from IAD-ORD-NRT. Upon check-in at the UA counter at IAD I asked if my US DM # was there and the agent said "YES, it is in the whole record." Upon reaching ORD I went to the agent at the RCC and asked her to re-print my boarding pass WITH my US status and DM number showing. She said it was "in the record" but she did some typing and re-produced my ORD-NRT boarding pass to show my CP status and DM number. Sure enough, three days later, just like clockwork, the ORD-NRT miles and bonuses showed in my US account. No sigh of the IAD-ORD segment at all. Moral of the story: Make sure your US status and DM # are ON YOUR BOARDING PASS! &lt;IMG SRC="http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thumbsup.gif"&gt;</font>
It seems like your boarding pass will automatically print out without your DM#, so be resigned to going through security without having your status recognized. The only luck I've had in getting a boarding pass with my DM# has been at the RCC or at the gate. I'm not sure if anybody else on this board has had success getting a boarding pass with their DM# printed on it prior to clearing security. You should plan to arrive a bit early to make sure you have time to take care of this prior to boarding. Hopefully this bug will be worked out soon.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SS255:
It seems like your boarding pass will automatically print out without your DM#, so be resigned to going through security without having your status recognized. The only luck I've had in getting a boarding pass with my DM# has been at the RCC or at the gate. I'm not sure if anybody else on this board has had success getting a boarding pass with their DM# printed on it prior to clearing security. You should plan to arrive a bit early to make sure you have time to take care of this prior to boarding. Hopefully this bug will be worked out soon. </font>
The one time I've flown UA during the US/UA agreement, I had no problem getting my status put on there at the ticket counter
Old Nov 14, 2003, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SS255:
It seems like your boarding pass will automatically print out without your DM#, so be resigned to going through security without having your status recognized. </font>
Call UA before your flight and give them your DM number. I'm calling anyway to request E+ seating. My US number and status has always been on the BP - right out of the kiosk.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:14 pm

Location: The First State, USA - Bonvoy Gold, Honors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Gold - FWIW
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dcjono:
Call UA before your flight and give them your DM number. I'm calling anyway to request E+ seating. My US number and status has always been on the BP - right out of the kiosk.</font>
And it prints out the BP on gold colored ticket stock (as opposed to the blue one used for the mere peons) ...
Old Nov 14, 2003, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arrzee:
And it prints out the BP on gold colored ticket stock (as opposed to the blue one used for the mere peons) ... </font>
Cool! Wouldn't want to be considered a mere peon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.