Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying United under USair codes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2003, 12:51 am
Original Poster

Flying United under USair codes

Has anyone had any bad or adverse experiences flying on UA but was an US customer. I am flying to Vegas on 7/14 and I had to take a connecting flight on UA through ORD to LAS. Got the US flight non-stop to go home but had to take the UA flight to get the lower price. Has anyone had a bad time flying on UA while being a US customer? Were you bumped, lost your seat, or just treated like dirt?

Any thoughts please.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:31 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
I'm Silver on US but dirt on UA. The US elite status shold get you an E+ seat and baording on Group 1. I haven't had any of the problems or issues you mention. IMO flying on UA is a slightly nicer experience than US anyway...
Old Jul 4, 2003, 6:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
I've been taking a lot of codeshare flights lately since US is pricing themselves out of existence here in PIT. UA people have been treating me very nice, actually a lot nicer since my US1 status is printed on the ticket. I am constantly told, "thanks for flying with us, we appreciate your business". This shocked me!

It also helps to smooze the agents behind the counter at the airport you're leaving from. The people I deal with are beginning to remember my face and that has helped me get better E+ seats and F/C too.

Old Jul 4, 2003, 8:30 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I had an interesting discussion with a UA Premex on the way ORD-PIT on UA metal a few weeks ago, who found that he was getting better treatment from the UA frontline folks when flying as a US silver than Premex. It seems like the UA people are going out of their way to be nice to the new US elite base flying UA.

I actually had a very decent experience on a recent UA jaunt to the west coast, which is the polar opposite of 14+ years of experience on UA for me. I was pleased.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 10:42 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA slvr, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I've had nothing but really great experiences flying UA since the partnership began. The check in agents have all been really great and have often gone out of their way to thank me for flying UA as a US prefeered. I haven't had much luck getting E+ seating in advance, but the gate agents have always been willing to move me up when space is available.

I have not had any difficulty with preboarding - my status has always been recognized.

Edited because I can't spell

[This message has been edited by dcmike (edited 07-04-2003).]
Old Jul 4, 2003, 3:50 pm

It has been great. E plus seats..One flight was airport check in only, but the res agent on the phone was able to call a supervisor to get me a seat once she saw my US2 status..It has been great for cities US lacks in or does not go to
Old Jul 4, 2003, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your input. If you can enlighten me further. I found out that I can't to a web check in on codeshare flights. Has anyone had any difficulty in that area? I checked the space on my flights and they seem to be close to full. Of course I will get to the airport in time, but I dont want to get bumped or messed up somehow. This is the first time I've done the flights with UA as a US customer.

thanks again
Old Jul 5, 2003, 12:02 pm

Slightly OT but what is UA's position on comping US status. I thought I recalled a while back they would readily do so. UA has more convenient flights out of DFW for me but I don't see how I'll get FC like I do on US. Then again, maybe they clean their planes better than US does
Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:51 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Okay, seems that UA metal flights are popping up more when I book for trans con flights which is good as my flight options have tripled that I am flying outside of the original 13 colonies aka. USAir territory.

Main questions which I am sure have already been answered but I did not see when searching...
1. As Gold Preferred, do we get 100% bonus miles when flying UA with US flight codeshare numbers? (or with UA numbers for that matter)
2. Preferred seating in E+ and can we use our e-upgrades? Already know that not possibly for SWUs.

------------------
Going back to the bAAsics
Feed the world for FREE! One click daily- www.thehungersite.com
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:14 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA slvr, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idealflyer:

1. As Gold Preferred, do we get 100% bonus miles when flying UA with US flight codeshare numbers? (or with UA numbers for that matter)
2. Preferred seating in E+ and can we use our e-upgrades? Already know that not possibly for SWUs.

</font>
I've always gotten silver bonus miles for all the codeshare and other UA flights I've flown. The Gold page on usairways.com say all gold members will get 100% bonus for UA flights.

Our e-upgrades, however, do not work on United. You have to purchase upgrades and there are details about that here:

http://www.usairways.com/dividendmil...s_dm_on_ua.htm

I've not bought any of the upgrades - I'd be interested from hearing from someone who had and what their success rate at actually upgrading was.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat
The fares that it says are upgradable are all showing as "United Business" and "United Economy". Do these rules hold true if you are on a US fare rather than a United fare?

[This message has been edited by MarshB (edited 07-07-2003).]
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:17 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
The way I read this is that if I purchase a domestic ticket from US, on US flights (6xxx) which are operated by United Airlines, I cannot use my US Airways 500 mile e-upgrades to upgrade this flight at my gold window (3 days out).

However, i can BUY united 500 mile upgrades and upgrade is space is available on the day of departure.

Is this correct?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by markbach:
Is this correct?</font>

Yes. That is how I understand it 100%.

Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:48 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:
Yes. That is how I understand it 100%.</font>
Well, then that sucks

Guess I'll have to wait and see if any US flights become available at the fare I want
Old Aug 8, 2003, 4:01 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Funny you should say that. I'm roaching my way to the west coast soon on UA. US had a fare bucket to match what I paid. It was full.

The next one was about a $200 difference. I'm telling you that E+ and Channel 9 and a meal you spend 10 bucks on in ORD are a pretty good sub for the US flight which you will never get at the price you want (shrinking to profitability)......

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.