Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas keeps it head low in the news lately

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:03 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Virgin Blue uncertain on outlook

Discount airline Virgin Blue has reported a slight drop in net profit for the first half of 2004/05 and says its outlook remains uncertain.

Virgin Blue posted a 1.8 per cent drop in net profit to $63 million for the half year ended September 30, 2004.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:23 pm
NM

Firefighters hurt in BA jet blaze

A fire has been discovered aboard a British Airways (BA) flight shortly after it landed in the US.
The captain of London-to-Boston flight 239 called the control tower at Logan International Airport to report a fire on the underside of the plane.

Five firefighters were hurt tackling the blaze on Monday, Associated Press reported, but there were no injuries among the 219 passengers and 14 crew.

BA said an investigation had begun but it could not comment further.

Massachusetts Port Authority spokesman Phil Orlandella said the firefighters had complained of burning in their throats and eyes.

They were called to the plane at 0230 GMT after its systems showed a fire in the avionics compartment on its underside.

The passengers were already getting off the plane when the fire took hold, said Mr Orlandella. It is not yet known what caused the blaze.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:04 am
NM

Post Jet lag lasts up to a week

FOR every time zone crossed, travellers should allow a day to recover from the jet lag, a sleep researcher has recommended.

The sleepless nights and sleepy afternoons that follow long-haul flights take longer to get over than most people think.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by NM
FOR every time zone crossed, travellers should allow a day to recover from the jet lag, a sleep researcher has recommended.
Great! "Er, boss, it takes the whole of my 2-week holiday just to get over the flight to NZ, so can I have two more weeks off please so that I can enjoy myself?"
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Qantas, Air France Work On Closer Ties

Fast work... The beginning of the end of QF/OW and the start of QF/SkyTeam? I bl**dy hope not..

SYDNEY (Dow Jones)--Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN.AU) is considering extending its cooperative relationship with Air France SA (3112.FR) into China, less than a month after the airlines began code-share flights between Singapore and Paris, the Australian reports Friday.

Qantas Chief Executive Officer Geoff Dixon made an overnight visit to Paris last week to discuss a co-pricing arrangement with Air France for some Asian destinations, the report says.

A deal with Air France, which flies daily to Shanghai, Guangzhou, Beijing and Canton, could allow Qantas to accelerate its exposure to the rapidly growing Chinese market.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM

The sleepless nights and sleepy afternoons that follow long-haul flights take longer to get over than most people think.
Ridiculous!
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:12 pm

Programs: QF WP, Hilton Diamond
Open Skies to benefit Qantas: Emirates

http://businesssunday.ninemsn.com.au....aspx?id=23068 &

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Busine...972244325.html

Open Skies to benefit Qantas: Emirates

November 21, 2004 - 2:29PM

An open skies policy in Australia would ultimately benefit Qantas, Emirates Group president Maurice Flanagan says.

Mr Flanagan said the Australian aviation industry was currently buoyant with an increase in traffic but if the market was completely de-regulated the local carriers would be the winners.

"Suppose Australia were to go open skies, let all airlines in, the evidence of what actually happens with an open skies environment ... is that in the end the resident airline is the one that benefits most," he told the Nine Network's Business Sunday.

"I think if Australia had open skies in the very distant future, the airline that would benefit most would be Qantas."

Qantas chief executive Geoff Dixon has continually fought against suggestions international carriers should be able to operate domestically in Australia.

He has targeted Emirates has having an unfair advantage because its owned by the Dubai government.

Mr Flanagan denied the claim Emirates was fully funded by the Dubai government.

"We were given $10 million to start the airline in '85, and told don't come back for any more well," he said.

"Some more was put in - the shell of our training college was put in, but all the expensive gear inside it simulators and so forth we put in, very little else."

Mr Flanagan said Qantas appeared to be "defending an existing position".

"I can understand that, as long as they have that position, barricades they can hide behind, of course they'll use it," he said.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Apologies to any regular readers that I might have who are missing the stories, I haven't been posting to my favourite topic as I've been travelling each second week has had me to busy to be able to arrange it during normal working hours. My year end is a shocking time...

I'll be back on posting after 3 December...last week away next week (but lots more SC's and FP's)!!!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:35 pm

Programs: QF SG-OW Sapphire, AA nobody, Marriott nobody, Velocity-where everybody's a nobody,Hertz#1 Club Gold
Qantas' flight to change

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/busines...9167631,00.htm
(Moderately long read - probably too long to post here - click the link for the full article)

By Iain Ferguson, ZDNet Australia

24 November 2004

newsmaker Qantas chief information officer Fiona Balfour is no sit-on-her-hands time-server.

The holder of arguably the highest-profile tech management position in Australia is roughly midway through a far-reaching revamp of the airline's information technology operation, which saw infrastructure and telecommunications outsourced in May (to IBM and Telstra respectively in multi-year deals with a combined value of AU$1.4 billion) and staff organised into individual "practices" overseen by Qantas business systems -- a unit which handles managed services, IT business services and group IT.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:51 pm

Programs: QF, IB
Qantas upsets frequent flyers

Qantas upsets frequent flyers
November 25, 2004 - 6:09AM (Sydney Morning Herald)

Frequent flyers are upset by changes to Qantas' frequent flyers program, which makes it easier to earn seats on short routes but raises the number of points needed for most flights.

Frequent flyers are now able to give points to a family member once a year, or buy extra points to attain a reward booking, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.

Qantas' head of marketing, Martin McKinnon, said the changes aimed to rebalance the program, which had reached "almost a ridiculous point".

But Clifford Reichlin, who runs the independent website frequentflyer.com.au, told the paper the overhaul had dramatically reduced opportunities to upgrade and would annoy corporate travellers.

From May, upgrades will no longer be available on discount fares and will not be able to be confirmed in advance on international flights.

http://smh.com.au/articles/2004/11/2...?oneclick=true
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Thumbs down Not keeping head low over this!

FF changes: Article in Melbourne Age
Old Dec 13, 2004, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
From the QF web site Newsroom

New Qantas Board member: Garry Hounsell
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:06 pm
NM

Branson flies into turbulence at Sydney

It was meant to be a light-hearted stunt, dreamed up on a wing and a prayer. But Virgin Atlantic is embroiled in a furious row with airport bosses in Australia over Sir Richard Branson's celebratory antics following its inaugural flight to Sydney last week.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 5:29 pm
NM

Post UAL Chief Predicts Summer Ch. 11 Emergence, Hurdles Remain

United is on track to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in mid-2005, CEO Glenn Tilton reported yesterday, in the same week the airline observed the second anniversary of starting its reorganization, even though it will likely be a rough six months to reach the finish line.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 12:26 am
NM

Post Jetstar reviews first-come seating

CUT-price airline carrier Jetstar's first-come, first-served seating arrangement is under review.

Some regular flyers had not been able to adjust to the seating method, which saved time and money over allocated seating, corporate relations manager Simon Westaway said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.