JFK-LAX-LIH/HNL-LAX-JFK in AA C/F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:05 pm
gba
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold

Although generally a coach flyer, an award trip to Hawaii in a mix of Business and First Class seemed well worth the extra miles. I’ve had a handful of MVP Gold first class on Alaska, as well as an op-up to business on a UA LHR-JFK segment some years back but this was my first “purchased” (and thus most anticipated) premium cabin trip of this length. That said, I apologize if some of my observations seem simplistic or overly favorable to those who fly up front more frequently but hope you all enjoy the report and look forward to any questions.

AA #3 JFK-LAX
N329AA

I arrived at the sparkling new American Airlines Terminal 8 at JFK at about 10:30 in the morning, quickly picked up my boarding pass at the first kiosk I encountered and headed off through the short first class security line. Although I’ve passed through the new AA terminal several times before, this was my first trip through in a premium cabin and the impressive structure seemed even nicer than normal (or perhaps it was simply in comparison to the pile of rubble from the old terminal that still sits next door). No more than fifteen minutes after stepping off the Air Train, I was welcomed into the Admiral’s Club in the main concourse. After walking down a short hallway, the club opens up into a large room with a soaring ceiling and huge windows overlooking the tarmac. Internet terminals and power outlets are plentiful and seating is arranged in groups of four or so in various arrangements. Coffee, tea, water, and orange juice, along with a meager selection of cookies were available on the buffet. A nicely kept bar sold alcoholic drinks, and I believe non-alcoholic beverages were available for free from the bartender. The lounge as very spacious and open feeling, but busier than I thought it would be given the time of day.

Although my flight was departing from the near gates, I ventured out to the remote concourse “c” club for a quick visit. Although less open, the club is divided into smaller rooms for seating as well as a larger bar area and seemed nicer and more intimate to me. Although not as airy (ceilings were a more normal height) the club was no less bright (or would have been had not many shades been drawn to keep out the low sun) and most importantly, was less crowded. Food and drink offerings were the same as at the other club, but I noticed that the bar had a selection of salads, paninis, and Asian specialties available for sale for 8.50. I suspect these may have been available at the other club, but I didn’t notice any menus.

Boarding had already commenced when I arrived at the gate and I joined the line at the jet way and made my way to my seat. This was my first trip on an AA 767-200 and I was immediately struck by the limited bin space. Even in the less dense business class, having boarded late, I struggled to find space for my full-size rollaboard (there was no way to place it in wheels first) and I suspect that in the back of the plane the bin wars were even more ferocious.

I soon settled into my seat where a large grey duvet and a full-size hotel-like pillow were waiting. These were a big improvement over any comparable imitation blanket or pillow I recall having seen on an airplane previously and certain made my flight more comfortable (especially the duvet). Others, I noticed seemed to simply want to get them out of the way, which was somewhat difficult given their size. Also, the lack of personal air events made it some what difficult to control one’s temperature and I found myself alternating pushing down or pulling up the duvet as the flight went on.

Once settled in, a pre-takeoff beverage of orange juice, sparkling wine, or water was offered. We were able to push back from the gate a few minutes early but JFK just wouldn’t be JFK if there wasn’t a long line waiting to takeoff and it was over forty minutes before we were in the air.

As we began to level out, the service began at a leisurely place. First, carts came through the cabin with a package containing a DVD player/entertainment system, power adapter, and Bose noise cancelling headphones (amazing!). The DVD players were somewhat superior to the digEplayers offered on Alaska, featuring a larger selection of movies and tv shows (I watched several episodes of The Office), as well as video games while being much more compact and light weight.

After the entertain systems, menus were passed out followed by hot towels. Drink orders were taken and beverages distributed along with a ramekin of warm nut mix.

For those who may be interested, here’s the transcript of the menu 2/08 3Cls, Business, Lunch – Snack

WINES

Sparkling Wine
Domaine Ste.-Michelle Columbia Valley Brut

White Wines
Wente “Morning Fot” San Francisco Bay Chardonnay
Canyon Road Suvignon Blanc

Red Wines
St. Francis Sonoma Country Merlot
Westside Red, Paso Robles

BEVERAGES

Sprits

SKYY Vodka, Tanqueray Gin, Bacardi Rum
Glenlivet Single Malt Scotch, Maker’s Mark Bourbon
Crown Royal Canadian Whisky
Dewar’s White Label Scotch Whisky
Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey

Beers
Heineken, Amstel Light and select U.S. Beers

Brandy and Liqueurs
Di Saronno Amaretto, Kahlua, Baileys Irish Cream
Courvoisier V.S.O.P. Fine Champagne Cognac

Other Beverages
Carbonated Beverages
American Airlines Premium Blend
Regular and Decaffeinated Coffee
Tea, Fruit Juices, Milk

LUNCH

To Start

Warm mixed Nuts

Salad
Fresh seasonal Greens offered with your choice of Sour Cream and Herb Dressing or Castello Monte Vibiano Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar

Bread Basket
Assorted Gourmet Breads

Entrees

Roast Beef Sandwich

Warm Roast Beef Sandwich topped with roasted Tomatoes, sautéed Onions and Provolone Cheese
May we suggest a glass of St. Francis Sonoma Merlot to complement this entrée. It has the body and concentration of taste to show off any beef dish well, and the soft, subtle tannins to suit a sandwich.

Miso Chicken
A grilled Miso Chicken Breast served chilled and accompanied by a Tomato-Basil Potato Salad

Dine Upon Request®
In an effort to accommodate your individual preferences, American Airlines is pleased to offer any of the entrees listed below for your Dine Upon Request selection, presented all at once, at any time you wish during the flight,
Roast Beef Sandwich
Miso Chicken

Dessert
Bryers Chocolate Ice Cream with Blackberry Sauce topped with White Chocolate and Raspberry Brulee Squares

or

Fruit and Cheese
A selection of seasonal Fruit and fine Cheeses

To Finish
Ghiradelli Chocolates

Light Refreshment
Freshly baked on board, Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies

Pre-Arrival Beverage
Chilled Sparkling Water with a fresh Citrus Garnish

I picked up a menu for first class and noticed that it was very similar, except: there was a marinated cheese antipasto appetizer as an alternative to mixed nuts; the salad course was identified as being a “salad cart” and included “fresh vegetables”; a Soup du Jour of Corn and Green Chile Bisque was available; the ice cream was a vanilla Sunday we choice of fudge, butterscotch, fruit toppings and pecans; and, the chocolates were Lindt. The entrees were identical.

Beverages in first class were the same with the exception of the Sparkling Wine which was a Louis Bouillot Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé and a Dessert Wine, Graham’s Six Grapes Port NV was available and elaborate descriptions were available for the other wines.

Meals served per FEBO from back to front from a cart. The salad and entrée were presented on one tray with the dressing of one’s choice provided in small, cute bottles and warm rolls on the side. The salad was small and very basic. The sandwich was good size and served with a pickle and tasted as it should (which is a compliment for anything served on an airplane). Drink refills were offered with meals and wine glasses were included on the meal trays. As people finished eating, trays were collected.

Once the entire cabin was done eating and all meal trays had been collected, the dessert cart came through with coffee, tea, and a choice of pre-assembled sundaes or a cheese plate. Having read on FlyerTalk that the pre-assembled sundaes are hit and miss, and knowing that I’d likely have a sundae on my next flight, I opted for the cheese plate which had a piece of Swiss and a surprisingly enjoyable bleu cheese, grapes and a couple of walnuts. One of my favorite things about meal service in a premium cabin is the leisurely pace and this was no exception. The service not finished until two and a half hours into the flight and we were nearly half way to LA.

Although the aircraft was clearly somewhat dated, the seats were spacious and comfortable, if not the latest technology. The armrest had four mechanical adjustments controlling recline, leg-rest extension, leg-rest angle and footrest extension. I’m not that tall, and I found myself somewhat wishing I could extend the foot rest a little further (I think it had a habit of retracting a bit on its own) but, if I pushed, I was able to find a quite comfortable, well cocooned position.

The flight was mostly smooth all across the country. Although no announcement was made, I enjoyed a very nice view of what looked like the Grand Canyon as we approached Southern California. About 45mins outside LAX we were offered a choice of warm chocolate chip or sugar cookies served with either milk or sparkling water. The cookie was quite tasty, though perhaps somewhat overheated. I appreciate the efforts of the flight attendants to hold the final service until as late in the flight as possible. Once the service was complete, the cabin was quickly cleaned up for landing and we flew over the city of Los Angeles and landed straight in from the east. Despite the slow departure, we were at the gate maybe ten minutes early after a short taxi.

After deplaning, I made my way to the LAX Admirals Club. The club, located on the second level of the terminal, was huge and incorporated some of the best elements of the two JFK clubs: some areas of the club were open and airy with great views of the tarmac where as others were more intimate. The amenities available were somewhat similar to what the clubs at JFK had on offer, with the same free cookies next to the coffee, as well as pretzels, snack mix and fruit. There was also a menu of items for purchase which was larger (and more expensive) than the offerings at JFK.

AA #285 LAX-LIH
N191AN

“Arm doors for departure and cross-check”

Generally these words mark the beginning of the flight, but this evening at LAX they were just the beginning. We’d boarded on time, been handed landing cards for Hawaii and offered pre-takeoff drinks of champagne, oj, water or mimosas (made by stealthily pouring a cup of champagne into a cup of oj) and been handed out dinner menus. Alas, the 1L boarding door wouldn’t close and arm properly, the pilot emerged from the cockpit to look at the problem (and kept passengers well informed), and mechanics also tried there best to get it to close properly. Alas, after about a 45 minute delay they could only identify the problem not the solution, and we were told that we would be switching aircraft and a new departure time was posted of 7:00pm (scheduled departure was around 5pm). Fortunately an aircraft was readily available and it was just an issue of moving luggage, catering, cargo and passengers. Although nobody likes a delay, the staff dealt with it as well as could be expected and I think most passengers were grateful that we got to Hawaii that night and didn’t lose any of our vacation.

We finally pushed back around 7:15 and we took-off to the west out over the Pacific Ocean. Menus had been passed out on the first aircraft and were not redistributed and most passengers were hungry and tired and the service soon began.

Here’s the transcript of the menu 3Cls, First, HFS, Lunch/Dinner 2/08:

ALOHA
We invite you to experience a new menu developed in collaboration with renowned Hawaiian restaurateur, author and TV host Sam Choy. Savoy items with a distinctive Island flair or if you wish, select a traditional entrée. Enjoy!

DINING SERVICE

To Begin

Tropical Mixed Nuts

Salad
Fresh seasonal Greens garnished with Roma Tomatoes and Seaweed Salad, offered with a choice of Italian Herb Vinaigrette or Miso Cilantro Dressing

ENTREES
Wasabi Salmon

Grilled Salmon topped with Creamy Wasabi and served over Shiitake Orzo Pasta
A Signature Sam Choy Item

Stuffed Shells Pomodoro
Cheese Filled Pasta Shells topped with a roasted Tomato Sauce

Your entrée will be offered with a choice of warm bread

Dessert
Vanilla Ice Cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Strawberry or Mango Toppings, Whipped Cream and Crusehd Pistachios

or

Fruit and Cheese

Prior to Arrival
Premium Snack

The salad on this leg was much better than the transcon lunch salad. It was practically entrée size and served with a really good miso cilantro dressing and cheese bread. I had the salmon and the entrée itself was not extraordinary, somewhat oily and the “wasabi” w flavor advertised was not particularly strong.

The first class on the 757 is the standard domestic offering. Seats are dated and have very little functionality (they recline) but don’t offer lumbar support or headrests. Also, despite the comparable length of the flight, the premium pillow, duvet, and entertainment system were not offered (and were not expected). A movie was shown on the overhead monitor, but I didn’t pay much attention.

After dosing for a while, I awoke to see the lights of the eastern islands out the window on the left hand side. We soon began our decent, landed on the short Lihue runway, and quickly taxied to the gate, arriving at about 10:50pm local time.

AA 298 HNL-LAX
N187AN

After a spectacular week, in Hawaii I arrived at HNL a bit after 10pm for the red-eye to LA and the morning flight back to the big apple. I was unable to check in at a kiosk because a message was attached to my reservation which had to be conveyed by an agent. The message, that I should visit the Admiral’s Club despite its location away from the AA gates (it’s shared with Qantas) was passed along and I made the long walk over to the lounge for a quick drink, despite the fact that it closed at 11pm, soon after my arrival. Unlike the other lounges, soft drinks in HNL were self-serve and it had nice views of the tarmac, despite being accessed through an unattractive back staircase.

Due to the late hour, and my preference for sleep over taking notes about my flights, my memory of this flight and the connection are somewhat more limited. But I’ll try and recall details as best I can.

Both at check-in and again at the departure gate, VDBs were offered in return for a hotel, cab fare and $400 travel credit. As luck would have it, I had to get back to New York and was unable to take them up on the offer. The inbound from LAX was a bit late (though no announcement of this fact was made until the scheduled boarding time despite the fact that the aircraft likely left LAX late hours ago) and so we were maybe twenty minutes late boarding and pushing back. At that time of night, HNL is surprisingly busy with red-eyes to a variety of mainland cities.

Even as we boarded, passengers noted the smell of cookies baking from the first class galley. The flight attendants made every effort to get the service out as quickly as possible so passengers could get some rest. No menu’s distributed but meal resembled what was advertised at http://www.aa.com/content/images/amr...aiidinner2.pdf with the exception of macadamia nut cookies instead of sundaes or cheese for dessert and no pre-arrival snack mix was offered.

The entire three course meal was served on one tray, I’d eaten a late dinner on land so I only picked at the meal but though the salad was quite tasty and ample, like on the outbound. Unlike the outbound, the chicken entrée was generally tasty and enjoyable, though the mashed potatoes tasted a bit more like potato buds than would be desirable.

Meal trays were collected as swiftly as they were distributed and I quickly nodded off to a surprisingly sound sleep. Although I tried to do what I could to avoid looking at my watch on the few occasions I awoke along the way, at one point I gave in, looked down, and noticed that it was already 6am Pacific Time and soon the pilot was announcing our decent, flight attendants were offering a morning orange juice and the sun was rising over the continent as we descended straight into LAX from the west.

AA 34 LAX-JFK
N332AA

Due to the delay out of HNL, my layover in LAX was pretty short, after a quick visit to the Admiral Club for a glass of juice, I was settling into my (relative to the 757) luxurious flagship business class seat, comfortable duvet and ample pillow. Soon we were airborne and, although I wanted to sleep I didn’t want to miss the service which began at a leisurely pace after we leveled off.

Alcoholic beverages the same as the outbound (in both classes except that no dessert wine was available in first class). Here’s the transcript of the menu 2/08 3Cls, Business, Brunch – Snack

BRUNCH

Entrees

Cheese Omelette
A Three-Chese Omelette accented by Saffron Onions and accompanied by Sausage-Potato Hash
Seasonal Fruit Appetizer

Cereal and Fruit with Yogurt
Served with a Banana and fresh seasonal Berries

Bread Basket
Assorted Gourmet Breads

Light Refreshment
Freshly baked on board, Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies

Pre-Arrival Beverage
Chilled Sparkling Water with a fresh Citrus Garnish

Unfortunately, I’m not sure the relatively undistinguished service was worth staying up for. I recall coach meals back in the early 90s that had similar contents and weren’t much lower quality. There wasn’t anything that wrong with the food served, but for a premium cabin on a premium route, I was surprised that there was no separate appetizer (such as warm nuts). Surprisingly, first class had the same courses as business with the additional of a third entrée option (a Breakfast Strata, which sounds like a scramble).

The flight itself was as uneventful as the back of my eyelids, we were on-time and didn’t encounter many bumps and before I knew it I was catching the “A” train into the city and day dreaming about my next vacation.

Happy travels,

gba

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.