Come With me to Maui (+pics)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Come With me to Maui (+pics)

Come With me to Maui

(To view a larger picture, simply click on the image)

Day 1 - Arrival

Siren, horn, and chatter: chaos awaits at the Los Angeles International Airport. The automatic doors open at terminal six. A rush of conditioned air impatiently exits. There was hardly a soul at the premier lobby. Heads down, United check in agents seem to be buried in their usual heavy loads of doing nothing. Instead, one of the chirping easy chickens eagerly offers assistance. He spits out a boarding pass: United Airlines; Flight 44; Los Angeles to Kahului, Maui; Boards at Gate 68B.

The TSA screener carefully examines a state of California driver's license, ensuring that the name matches that on the boarding pass. He gently stamps his seal of approval and directs through passengers to the next security check point.

A long and narrow passageway connects those passengers with departing gates 60-69. An old Boeing 767-300ER aircraft patiently waits for its family vacationing, honeymooning, serious surfing, and tree hugging Hawaii explorers.

Successfully snaking through impatient boarders, a cheerful flight attendant offers a choice of guava juice, water, or sparkling wine to the first class passengers. Pink, sweet and fragrant guava juice seems like a good choice. One sip, the surrounding noise seems to dissipate. Another sip, a whiff of ocean air bursts out of the air vents above.

Shortly after take off, the flamboyant purser distributes a stack of Trader Vic's special menu featuring ingredients and flavors from the islands:

Welcome aboard your United Flight
Today's menu features selected items designed specifically for United Airlines by the world-renowned Trader Vic's Restaurant. Famous for his creation of the original Mai Tai Cocktail, Victor Jules Bergeron established Trader Vic's in 1934. Since then the restaurant has expanded to many different locations worldwide including the United States, Asia, Euope and the Middle East. If you'd like to lean more about Trader Vic's, visit their website at www.tradervics.com

to begin

Fresh seasonal greens with heart of palms
Trader Vic's Javanese or blue cheese dressing

main course

TRADER VIC'S Sweet and sour braised short rib
Diced potato shallot hash and flazes baby peas and carrots

TRADER VIC'S Grilled mahi mahi with Trafer Vic's ginger fruit chutney glaze
Saffron rice and green beans nui

dessert
Ice cream sunday
with toppings

We invite you to begin your meal with a Trader Vic's signature Mai Tai

"Short ribs or Mahi Mahi?" Many seem to be pondering this question out loud. Before a decision can be made, the purser offers another two items that are not on the menu. "Ignore the menu, it's totally wrong!" The purser proclaims while offering a new choice between Trader Vic's sautéed prawns over Vermicelli noodles topped with Hawaiian chili sauce or Black mushroom stuffed chicken breast.

The abundant amount of food and free flowing cocktails put many into an instant coma, preventing them from enjoying the onboard featured movie. Before they are able to enjoy their quick shut-eye, the islands appear outside the windows showcasing Hawaii's dramatic landscapes.

A lot full of Jeep Wrangler X's fight for attention. There were green ones, red ones, white ones, and silver ones. They line up perfectly with their hoods cocked up high, hoping to be picked. There stands a shy silver Wrangler covering up with its soft top.

DIBS!

Wasting no time, Shy Silver whisks away to the world famous Ka’anapali Beach in Lahaina while enjoying the fantastic view along the way.

Off to the far distance, a block of mega ocean resorts can be spotted. The Westin Ka'anapali Villas and Ocean Resort stands among them. Shy Silver quickly finds its resting spot underneath one of the buildings. The check in area and lobby reside in the heart of the resort accented with modern Polynesian decors. Lovely Ceiling fans draw the ocean breeze into the open area.

A couple of Polynesian beauties stand behind the check in counter assisting lost souls. Since this is a vacation owner property, super elites like Platinum Preferred Guests are not blessed with the usual fantastic upgrades or welcome amenities.

The nearly 500 square-foot studio villa includes a variety of amenities: a fully equipped kitchen, a large bath bathroom with separate shower and jacuzzi tub, a king size heavenly bed, a living area with a sofa bed, an entertainment center equipped with bose surround, a full size washer and dryer and a lovely lanai with ocean and pool view.

The resort area is lovely. Make-pretend ocean breeze no longer comes out of the air vent. Instead, the real deal carrying mild sodium chloride mist gently rock the swing. It only seems like eternal bliss.

The crystall ball shows a full day of fun activies ahead. It's time to get some rest. Jetlag is not an explorer's best friend. Upon returning to the villa, a bottle of wine, a cake, and a welcome card proudly present themselves on the nightstand next to the turned down bed.

Lights out!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day 2

Drive with me: road to Hana, circling the island

Waves of ukulele sound penetrate through a pair of ear plugs and ever so slightly tickle my ear drums. A group of blurry yet familiar green digits appear before my eyes. 66...33...0... It's 6:30 AM.

The carpeted floor seems to have been made of jello, preventing me from bathing under the man made waterfall. I resist.

The dark and impatient Timbuk2 messenger bag stares angrily into the distance on the kitchen counter. Overstuffed with a swimming trunk, towel, sun screen, sunglasses, camera, and whatever an Hawaii explorer may need, it desparately wants to get Shy Silver and go for a drive.

There stands Shy Silver, rested and ready to go. Where? Straight to Ms. Hana via Kahului on the ever so familiar Honoapiilani Hwy? Boring. A detour to Honokohau Bay in the North Shore? Vroom vroom. Shy Silver agrees with excitement.

Shortly after leaving Ka'anapali Beach, a group of surfing warriors and sun worshippers fight to claim their territories along the Honokowai shore. Not caring to join this ritual, we continued our journey up North.

At higher elevation, dramatic cliffs and vegetation rich mountains compliments Maui's awe inspiring landscapes. The wind chases from behind, first flowing through seemingly carefree cattails, and then hit us head on releasing its powerful energy.

Refreshing.

In no time, the two lane highway becomes a single lane paved road. Civilization has no desire of coming into this part of the world. Far off in the distance, there stands a small farm house sitting at the edge of a cliff. Surrounded by a few lone trees and free roaming cows, the house exerts a sense of peace and serenity.

In the shape of a camel back, two gigantic peaks appear. Kahakuloa Head, along with its neighbor Puu Kahulianapa, form the two of the highest costal points on the island. Shy silver wants his picture taken.

After passing through Kahului and Paia, Hana highway begins.

With 600 twists and turns and 60 one lane bridges, Hana highway requires special attention even for the most skillful drivers. While many jawdropping landscapes are beautifully displayed in this 50 mile stretch of jungle, it takes a couple of hours even for the experienced drivers.

There it is, Hana.

Being tired from the strenuous drive, going back to the villa sounds better than ever. Shy Silver wants to show off its 4 wheel drive. Wanting to do a true circle around the island, we want to go back to Lahaina from the South past Kaupo, only to find out that the South route has been closed due to a previous earthquake. Not to mention the unpaved road, this would get Shy Silver into trouble.

Before heading back, Shy Silver needs some fuel. We see a Chevron station selling regular gas for $4.49 per gallon. Ouch.

On Honoapiilani Hwy, there stands a quite popular tropical fruit stand. It advertises a variety of tropical smoothies and fresh pineapples, papayas, and fresh sugar canes. Freshly squeezed sugar cane juice catches my attention. The friendly local Hawaiian suggests a place near the villas for local plate lunch: Honokowai Okazuya.

The menu includes:
Chicken Katzu
Kung Pao Chicken
Mongolian Beef
Teriyaki Steak
Mahi Mahi Lemon Caper or Panko Fried or Broiled
Fish 'n Chips
Ono Lemon Caper with Sundried Tomatoes
Broiled Salmon with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce

Vegetarian:
Veggie Burger
Egg Fu Young
Grandma's Tofu
Tofu Chow Fun

Salads:
Chef's Salad
Caesar Salad with or without Mahi Mahi or Chicken
Veggie Salad

Deli Sandwiches:
Tuna Salad
Turkey
Ham
BLT
Hot Melts (tuna or ham or turkey)
Meatball
Mahi Mahi
Hamburger
Broiled Chicken

Pasta:
Italian Sausage & Peppers
Primavera
Spaghetti & Meatballs

All plate lunch comes with a scoop of rice and either macaroni salad or sauteed veggies. Teri-steak stares into my eye and calls out my name.

The day ends with a Mai Tai over sunset on the lounge chair by the pool. (sorry, I think my creative juice is running dry )

Last edited by BlissWorld; Apr 9, 2008 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Reserved for Day 3

Hike with me: Pipiwai Trail

Dine with me: Mama's Fish House
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Reserved for Day 4

Departure
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome report so far, can't wait for more!^
Old Apr 9, 2008, 9:32 am
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

Dine with me: Mama's Fish House[/B]
Really regretted missing this spot on my last trip to OGG. Can't wait to hear all about it!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:04 am
DG

Programs: AA Gold; NWA Silver
Keep it coming!

Loved the pictures - and the great description! I'm also sorta a timeshare junkie, so thanks for the trip report!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Gorgeous photography!
Looking forward to the reports for days 2, 3 and 4!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day 2 posted
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Awesome! Drove that road last fall, visited the Westin villas... (Labor Day FT Maui Do)...thanks for the great memories! One or two of those pics will soon be shamelessly copied to my screensaver at work

You've got a great flair for writing! Looking forward to the next "chapter"!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thx for the invite, jerk!

Stayed at the Westin Villas just last month -- nice place, clean "new hotel" feel. I still miss being in the Ka'anapali Resort though at the old skool Westin Hotel, with close access to Whaler's Village.

Enjoy Mama's! ^
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by das
Really regretted missing this spot on my last trip to OGG. Can't wait to hear all about it!
Definitely a must visit! Also looking forward to more of the report! I'm so jealous!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Reserved for Day 3

Hike with me: Pipiwai Trail

Dine with me: Mama's Fish House
Reserved for Day 4

Departure
I'm interested in these reports for purely selfish reasons.
Please note my profile.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: Credit Cards
Wow Bliss.... Take me with you Next time!!!

--Russ
Old Nov 5, 2008, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
So jealous that this is not available to me unless my residence is in the US!

Thanks for the vicarious peeking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.