Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAD to S. Asia via the Atlantic: F Seats,Suites,Spas & Terminals in Bali & PEK (PICS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to S. Asia via the Atlantic: F Seats,Suites,Spas & Terminals in Bali & PEK (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thanks

Gotta tell you, the notes of appreciation mean a lot, they tell me whether I'm on the right track here in terms of providing useful information, and whether it's worth doing another report on my trip to Spain this week.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by gleff

Gotta tell you, the notes of appreciation mean a lot, ...
Then let me add my thanks as well. Great trip report. Enjoyed the travel hints and pictures too.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Here's the beverages from my TG F, BKK-PEK, flight .. as promised above.

WHITE WINE
Mercurey Domaine Michel Juillot 2001 Chardonnay
Le Divinus De Chateau Bonnet 2006

RED WINE
Chateau Dauzac Margauc Grand Cru Classe 2004
Givry 1er Cru, Le Manoir Murisaltien 2002

CHAMPAGNE
DOM PERIGNON VINTAGE 2000

APERITIES
Campari
Gin Martini
Screwdriver
Bloody Mary
Black Russian
Vodka Martini
Warre's Warrior Port
Bristol Cream Sherry

SPIRITS
Bacardi Rum
Tanqueray Gin
Jack Daniel's Bourbon
Johnnie Walker Blue Label
Chivas Royal Salute Scotch Whiskey
Glenfiddich .. Ancient Reserve 18 Year Old

LIQUEURS
Hennessy Paradis Extra
Kahlua
Drambuie
Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge
"Kubota Manju"

BEERS
Heineken
Chang Beer
Singha Beer

SOFT DRINKS
Fruit juices
Diet soft drinks
Perrier Mineral Water
A range of soft drinks

BEVERAGES
Espresso
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated Coffee
Special Blended Coffee
Ceylon Tea
Oolong Tea
Earl Grey Tea
Japanese Green Tea
English Breakfast Tea
Peppermint Tea
Camomile Tea
Ovaltine
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What a marvelous collection of text and photos! Truly a joy to read. ^^^

Anyone considering a flight aboard any of the airlines covered in this report will be very well served by the information, transcripts and photos provided.

Thanks gleff for all your hard work!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 7, 2008 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fabulous report and pics gleff. Thanks for spending the time to put in so much detail. I know how long it takes.

You were lucky with the loads on LH or I have been unlucky. On both my F experiences on LH ex FRA there have been 16 pax in F.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:08 pm

Thanks ever so much for a great trip report^^^ What a wonderful adventure made better by your great pictures and observations. I really can't wait to have the pleasure of the First Terminal in FRA.
Again, thanks for a great read
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:58 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Hey gleff!
Thanks for your trip report and the detailed pics. Especially the description of the booking process and all the check-in's at the Hotels are worth reading! I've been a couple of times to Bali and have been on the same flight from SIN and to BKK too! Even had the same menu on the TG sector out of DPS.
But the way I make holidays in bali is a little bit different I prefer Legian and some smaller/cheaper hotels.

I thought the departure tax at BKK is now included in the ticket price. During checkin for a TG flight on 19th march we did not had to pay anything.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
:-::-: Great report, gleff!!^^ Enjoyed the detail and experiences!! :-::-:
Old Apr 9, 2008, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH431
I thought the departure tax at BKK is now included in the ticket price. During checkin for a TG flight on 19th march we did not had to pay anything.
It's supposed to be. But UA didn't include it ... since they ticketed a connection (less than 24 hrs) rather than a stopover. If I had stayed airside I wouldn't have had to pay it. But for the privilege of staying at the airport Novotel, there was that extra charge.

(Incidentally UA didn't collect it on my July '07 award which was issued in December '06, and I was never asked to pay it when departing HKT.)
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:26 pm

An absolutely amazing report. Thank you for sharing your travels.. I was eager to hear about the NOVATEL in BKK.. so thanks...
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW4
An absolutely amazing report. Thank you for sharing your travels.. I was eager to hear about the NOVATEL in BKK.. so thanks...
Indeed, a nice enough airport hotel, not a special place by any means and crazy expensive for what it is, where it is. Still, I wanted to head right to sleep and make it back relatively early to the airport to take advantage of the ex-BKK TG F departure experience so I'd do it again. Getting in a little early, though, I would have headed into BKK to one of my favorite places for dinner.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Rewards Gold; Amex Platinum
PEK Transit Visa

Gleff,

Thanks for the wonderful report. Very interesting read. One question about your PEK stopover, as it relates to a trip my wife and I are taking in June. I have been told by CO and the Chinese Consulate that if staying in PEK less than 24 hours and not leaving the airport, no transit visa is required, also another FT member confirmed this in a PM. Is this also your experience/understanding?

Thanks much!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eba205
One question about your PEK stopover, as it relates to a trip my wife and I are taking in June. I have been told by CO and the Chinese Consulate that if staying in PEK less than 24 hours and not leaving the airport, no transit visa is required, also another FT member confirmed this in a PM. Is this also your experience/understanding?
That appears to be correct, according to the Chinese consulate in the US:
http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:47 am

Arrow

Dear Gleff

What a very nice report.

I'll have an award flight LH in a few weeks.
I'll try to make also such a nice report.

But I have 2 questions:

1) On my return flight out of SFO (LH First) to FRA I'll have to wait in FRA for a few hours for my next flight to BRU (Business cl).
Do you think I can use the First Class Terminal (the first lounges can be used) ?
I asked LH and the reservation agent told me that this was allowed.
But other FT members are saying that access will be denied.

2) The night before our departure I have booked an overnight at the Sheraton also by redeeming points (+60$).
Do you think that I should call the hotel to pay their attetion to get an upgrade as I am Platinum?

Kind regards
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRUNOREM
1) On my return flight out of SFO (LH First) to FRA I'll have to wait in FRA for a few hours for my next flight to BRU (Business cl).
Do you think I can use the First Class Terminal (the first lounges can be used) ?
I asked LH and the reservation agent told me that this was allowed.
But other FT members are saying that access will be denied.
Here's the definitive thread on the subject. General consensus is that the rule was changed to no longer permit First Class Terminal access to arriving F passengers connecting to business class. However, some folks still go over to the terminal and it appears as though they are usually given access rather than being turned away. "Your mileage may vary." However the First Class LOUNGES are very nice - very similar just without the car transfer to the plane.

2) The night before our departure I have booked an overnight at the Sheraton also by redeeming points (+60$).
Do you think that I should call the hotel to pay their attetion to get an upgrade as I am Platinum?
If a suite upgrade is meaningful to you, you might email the hotel and ask them what their upgrade policy is and then clarify things if needed before arrival (and bring a copy of any correspondence saying that they upgrade to suites).

Or you might bring a printout of the SPG terms and conditions.

But I've been assured that my situation was not policy there, I'm curious to hear about future folks visiting and their experiences.

Truth be told, though, a suite really wouldn't have enhanced my stay. Their club lounge is quite well provisioned, the room large by European standards, and the bed was comfortable. After a long PEK flight that's all I needed. You may feel differently as this is prior to your travel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.