Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrating my 53rd birthday - 1st time in first

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
A belated Happy Birthday!! Read your whole thread, great job on the report and routing.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:40 am

Hi Alan....all caught up now after not checking in for five days. Sorry to hear you just took the melancholy flight home. Thanks for sharing the adventure!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
The flight home wasnt a bad flight, if it had been my first i probaby wouldnt have found much fault with it, but as its my last, i find myself comparing it with SQ and NH.
Boarding was on time and orderly. Premium passengers were boarded first, away from the masses.
At the door i was welcomed on board, and this is where the differences start to notice, was pointed to my seat.
The purser offered to hang my jacket and quickly brought me champagne, which was refilled before take off by my designated flight attendant. I was also offered a newspaper. I foolishly asked for an english one, to be told,"they are all in english" before the penny dropped, "oh you mean a British one"
The rather ordinary amenities kit was at my seat along with the quilted blanket and headphones. There were no slippers or pyjamas.
The seat was ok in the upright position, but in bed mode the junctions between the cushions were rather wide and a matress would have been appreciated.
I will give credit to my flight attendant, a lady of my age, she seemed genuinely concerned to make sure i had what i needed through the flight.
She got me my choice of film for the tape system before take off, after i'd initially chosen from the March selection as nobody had changed these over to the April list. Once they realised, the April books were handed out.
Like Lufthansa, the tv screens are ridiculously small for first class, my flight attendant tells me they are much better on the new first class seats.
The one thing i do like on United is channel 9, this was switched on and left on all the way to Heathrow.
No water bottle was supplied for sleeping, nor was my glass kept topped up. At one point i went to the galley and filled my own before the purser noticed.
The food was ok and being an american airline was more substance then some of the other flights i had taken.

Appetisers
Seared Crab cake and shredded chicken and toasted cashew salad with organic yuzu-miso vinagrette and sweet and sour cucumber relish

Soup
Roasted Yukon gold potato, cheddar and bacon chowder

Salad
Fresh seasonal greens with julienne of red and yellow bell peppers, plum tomatoes and season crutons.

Main Course
Orange and ginger duck confit, Roasted shallot vinagrette, braised fennel and hazelnut jasmine rice.

Braised vegetable cannelloni, organic tomato herb finishing sauce

Pan seared filet mignon with horseradish sauce, red and gold yukon potatoes, sauteed spinach, shallots and mushrooms.

Rosemary lemon mediterranean sea bass with tomato and olive ragout, vegetable risotto and green and yellow haricots verts

Desert
Ice cream and sundae toppings

Cheese selection served with red grapes and crackers

Fresh Strawberries with brown sugar sour cream dip.

I had the strawberries but there was no dip available

We were asked if we wanted to be woken for breakfast.

Arrival was 10 minutes early and i walked and walked (this is heathrow) and eventually arrived at an empty immigration hall, i was through in moments after a quick chat with the rather attractive immigration lady and was staggered that the baggage appeared a few minutes later. Sadly my record of priority tags working was broken as my bag was the 49th to appear.
Straight through customs and i'm sitting on the Heathrow express 40 minutes after getting off the plane.
The weather forecast says snow. Welcome home.

Final Thoughts.

This was a great trip and i dont know how i'm going to put up with AA in economy in September.
All of my points have posted promptly, the e ticket worked flawlessly, and all of my hotel reservations, made via the internet were correct, and even upgraded.
25 years ago booking a holiday like this would have been close to impossible and the only option would have been to put yourself at the mercy of a travel agent.
Is first class travel worth paying for?, well it depends on what you want from a holiday, it certainly makes a schedule like mine a pleasure, rather than an exhausting chore which it would have been in economy.
And it is nice to be pampered, i've worked hard in my life to be able to afford it and if you cant have some pleasures as you get older then whats life all about.

The highlight of the places visited was Tokyo, and i will be going back to Japan.

I hope youve enjoyed reading the report !!!
Old Apr 5, 2008, 1:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Welcome home Alan.

It has been a pleasure reading your report.

I think I subconsciously book my RTWs to go the other way around the world so that I get to fly the US portions at the start rather than the end
Old Apr 5, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Fantastic conclusion to your report Alan. It sounds as though you've had a great introduction to intl F travel!

I have throughly enjoyed reading it all and it is a shame that your final flight wasn't quite up to the standard you are used to. I agree with Moomba, when i do my next RTW i will go to the USA first.

However on my last RTW i came home NRT-IAD-ORD-MAN, a similar routing to yours and had NH J to IAD with UA F to ORD and then BMI J back to MAN. I found that the BMI J product was a lot better than both AA and UA Intl F products! Something to think about next time. I also believe that their J seat has been upgraded since i last flew it to a Fully Flat Bed now.

Chris
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Alan, thank you for taking the time to meet me in Melbourne and for sharing this very informative report of your travels.

I will come back to read parts of it again as you've done an excellent job.

Rock on!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:06 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Great report Alan, thank you very much!

I haven't done a RTW yet myself, but a few longhauls in F - so it was really interesting to read your comparisons of so many different carriers.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
What a great report Alan, I've been reading it since lunch today, thank you!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:27 am

It was a real joy reading this Alan, it's like being there yourself, hope you do this more often, would love to see a Qantas and a JAL first class review. Thank you very much for writing this report. Pitty you missed out on the satay though!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 2:56 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Thank you so much

Alan
Great trip report. What a joy to read.

Japan is indeed an amazing city. Interesting to read your experience on Asiana and ANA - both airlines I have had recommended to me.

Looking forward to your next report.

Adam
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
A belated Happy Birthday!

Our first time in First was a surprise from a young lady at the TWA ticket counter in MIA. I handed her our tickets and passports and she confirmed that FCO was our final destination to which I replied "yes, we are going on our honeymoon." She continued keyboarding then while handed our boarding passes and passports back she said "we couldn't do anything to JFK but you are confirmed to FCO." I didn't think much about what she said until we were heading towards the MIA departure gate and looked at our boarding passes. We still had our coach seats to JFK, however, our JFK - FCO seats had been upgraded to First. What an unexpected surprise!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:10 am

Great report.

I'm super envious and thankful for you putting this up on FT.

Cheers!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:53 am
Suspended

Happy belated birthday Alan. You certainly have a very humorous and excellent writing style and i enjoyed reading your trip report.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:01 pm

great report - thanks for taking the time
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I was extremely upset when the captain announced a short flight time of 5 hours and 45 minutes and when the inflight manager asked if there was anything he could do for me, I said yes, slow the plane down !!

If possible the crew were even better than the last 2 flights with a totally outstanding service, drinks kept full, meals spread out through the flight and even wine recommendations. Have to say I thought the Cloudy Bay was excellent.

The crew shook my hand and wished me happy birthday, and as I left the plane one of them handed me a bottle of water and said you’ll need that on the bus journey into town.

The menu is below. How do SQ manage to serve Steak which is so tender and moist, and for those that know me, that chocolate dessert was to die for.

Canapes
Satay with onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Appetizers
Oven baked warm Oyster with tomato Salsa and corriander cheese sauce in half shell
Terrine of crabmeat and avocado with tomato confit

Soups
Clear Oriental broth with bamboo piths and Yunnan ham
Cream of chantelle mushroom and ceps with chicken

Salad
Butter lettuce heart with baby cress and cherry tomato
sesame soya dressing or Singapore dressing infused with shallot oil

Main Courses
Pan seared beef fillet with green peppercorn sauce sautéed wild mushroom and baby spinach
Korean style chicken with spicy sauce, jap chae and steamed rice
Seafood and rice vermicelli soup

Rack of lamb in Red jus with roasted vegetables and garlic mash potatoes

Salad of oven dried roma tomatoes with mozzerella cheese, couscous and rocket

Desserts
Black and white chocolate cake with passion fruit coullis

Cheeses
Selection of cheeses with garnishes

Fruits
Fresh Fruits in Season

Yes I’d have to say that was the best flight I’ve ever taken.
I was on the same flight, SQ016 SIN-ICN in F in early April and had the exact same menu. I chose the Lamb, however, and it was really, really good as well.

And yes I agree with you - best flight ever! Everything about it was simply staggeringly good - including the crew, and the seat. As I'm only 24, it's certainly an inspiration to earn the money to do it again

PS. Thanks for a great trip report - really interesting read

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.