Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

IAD to S. Asia via the Atlantic: F Seats,Suites,Spas & Terminals in Bali & PEK (PICS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD to S. Asia via the Atlantic: F Seats,Suites,Spas & Terminals in Bali & PEK (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 7:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gleff
LH staff checked our bags to IAD, issued our boarding passes, and gave us lounge passes for the Air China first class lounge.

Stapled to the back of the passes was a map with quite clear instructions on what we needed to do – proceed forward into the terminal, down the escalator, to the train which the sign says comes every three minutes and drops you off at the E gates. Then through passport control followed by security, and you’re airside. Tons of duty free shopping and the lounges.

The Air China First Class lounge is large, like everything in this terminal. It’s airy. But it’s offerings really aren’t impressive. You’re greeted as you enter, hand over your passes, and there’s not much staff attention after that (except in the restroom). There are some (very) light refreshments. There’s wired internet only, though you can sort of pick up an unsecure wireless signal from the Cathay Pacific lounge.

There’s a buffet that looks as though it would be quite nice, but it doesn’t get set up until 11am – just a tad too late considering our 11:25am departure.

What they do have, though, is a bathroom attendant to get towels for you after you’ve used the sink.. and a small wall mounted LCD TV in the restroom as well.

I caught a glimpse of the ‘VIP rooms’ in the lounge, which I suppose are for high government officials not flying private, but it seems odd to have a first class lounge where first class passengers are not amongst the VIPs. (Yes, I know, there’s ‘special services’ all over the place that pay extra attention to VIP passengers above and beyond what first class folks receive, but this is an obvious walled-off do not enter zone inside the F lounge. Strange to me, anyway.)
Thanks for the info on the new terminal. By absence of mention of disruption, I assume things were smoother than BA's new terminal T5 at LHR? I don't suppose you happened to notice international transit arrangements?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Things were much smoother than T5

I didn't notice the transfer arrangements, but since passport control occurred after I reached the E gates by train it is likely the case that if you have to switch to another pier then PEK transfers still require going through immigration.

But there could be another arrangement that I didn't notice or pay attention to...
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have a lengthy thread in the Starwood forum about this practice at this hotel. Supposedly it was resolved with them no longer denying the suite upgrade. I guess not.
A suite wouldn't have actually enhanced my stay. I got a perfectly good rest, they had a lovely club lounge, no real complaints (although the hallways to the guest rooms feel a bit dorm-like).

But I'm not a fan of non-compliant hotels, and do feel it's important to followup. So I'm on the case.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:55 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have a lengthy thread in the Starwood forum about this practice at this hotel. Supposedly it was resolved with them no longer denying the suite upgrade. I guess not.
Maybe someone can get StarwoodLurker to follow up on this.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Will write more of a followup, but the hotel has already acknowledged that they were wrong, that there is a re-training situation here, and commits to followup. So I'm willing to take their word that this is not a continuation of the past problem, at least until we see how others' stays work out.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LH FRA First Class Terminal: Second Trip

Friday, March 28, 2008

The First Class Terminal is eminently walkable from the Sheraton, although it did involve being outside on a rather crisp morning. Back across the passenger bridge to Terminal 1, downstairs to the arrivals level, to the very end of Hall A and out by the hotel shuttle pickup we just continued walking against the direction of vehicle traffic and there was the First Class Terminal, lower level.

We buzzed the entrance and someone came down to meet us and let us in. Back up the elevator and through ever-so-polite security, and now I’m ensconced in here a bit before 8am with a bloody mary in hand.

Here’s a view outside the terminal, where staff were washing the cars:

We arrived a full 5.5 hours before flight time, but figured it was better to hang out here than across the way at the Sheraton. Since we already ate a small breakfast in the Sheraton lounge, we didn’t partake of the breakfast buffet.

Originally Posted by Breakfast Buffet

Free range eggs
Scrambled eggs / boiled eggs / ham & eggs (5 minutes)

Crispy bacon / grilled ham / sausages

Baked beans / mashed potatoes

Asian Breakfast
Selection of Asian breakfast specialties

from the DO & CO bakery

white bread
Baguette / Tuscany style sour dough bread / rolls / ciabatta / melba toast / home made Demei-Brioche

brown bread
Whole wheat bread / Pumpernickel / Finn Crisp

toast
White / whole wheat toast

freshly baked
Croissants
Selection of home made Danish pastries

pancakes
Plain / banana / blueberry
Maple syrup

coffee / tea / hot chocolate
American coffee
Espresso / cappuccino / café latte
Wide choice of tea
Hot DEMEL chocolate
We waited until lunch, and went over for the buffet and sit down service.

Originally Posted by Buffet and Specials

Soups
Consomme with vegetables
Creamy broccolisoup
Tim Ka Gai – Thai chickensoup with coconut mile fresh cilantro and chili

Local Special
Bavarian “Leberkase” – creamy potato salad / brezel / mustard

Special
“Wiener Schnitzel” – accompanied with potato / cucumber cabbage salad

Steak & Salad
Seared fillet of beef – eggplant salad / crispy rosemary chips

Asia
Indian Butter Chicken – saffrom basmati rice
Grilled “Loup de mer” – cardamom relish crushed potatoes with aubergines

Pasta
Penne con pomodori secchi – rocket / pines / sun-dried tomatoes, shaved parmesan

Buffet

Antipasti (cold)
Veal with tuna sauce
Grilled vegetables
White eggplane puree
Arugula with cherry tomatoes
Shallots with aged balsamic vinegar
Buffalo mozzarella
Parmesan / Manchego
Prosciutto di Parma
Jamon Iberico / Pata Negra
Grilled green asparagus

Tapas (warm)
Calamares fritos / fried baby calarmari
Alcachofas fritas / fried artichokes
Albondigas / meatballs in tomato sauce
Gambas a la plancha / fried prawns

Smoked Salmon
Scottish smoked salmon – Loch Fyne – horseradish cream / cream cheese / toast or bagel

Desserts
DO & CO’s Mousse au chocolat
Chili Chocolate & Coconut Crème Brulee
Green Tea Tiramisu
Ginger Chocolate Cake
Mango Lime Cocktail
Wasabi Ice Cream
Fresh fruit salad
DO & CO’s Berry ragout
Viennese apple strudel
Selection of Sorbets
Austrian style chocolate soufflé
Vanilla ice cream with warm chocolate sauce
Because it was so good the first time around, we both ordered another wienerschnitzel. We also ordered an extra small portion of the Leberkase to share.

About 30 minutes prior to scheduled flight departure, our PA came over to let us know that our flight had just posted a 45 minute delay and that she would be returning for us. The 45 minute delay stretched to 60 minutes, and so an hour or so later we were collected and taken downstairs to pick up our passports at the private passport control and then to our waiting driver for the ride to the plane in a Porsche.

We boarded about 15 minutes prior to re-scheduled takeoff.

Last edited by gleff; Apr 3, 2008 at 4:06 am
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:09 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
and then??? can't wait for the next post
Old Apr 3, 2008, 11:09 am

Also of note is that the power outlets are European only. They may well have adapters, I didn’t ask since I carry my own, but again for a 5-hour visit… It would seem to be not that difficult to make various plug configurations possible.
they do indeed have a wide range of adaptors and phone chargers to borrow. you can also get laptops from them if you dont bring your own. the cubical work areas do have multiple outlets (UK, US, EU if i remember correctly)

cheers

sentom
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I won’t reproduce the wine lists here, unless anyone requests to know…
Gleff,

Thanks for providing such a great trip report. It has been a pleasure to read throughout the last week.

Sorry to be demanding, but would you mind posting the wine list for one of your LH F segments and your TG F segment?

Thanks!

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:57 am

I am surprised that on an Award you can get the day room at the Kempinski. Do you think they knew. Anyway I would do the same. The hotel and grounds always looked gorgeous in the brochures but seems less nice now.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The website doesn't make a distinction regarding award tickets.

The reservation is made directly with the hotel, LH isn't involved.

So there shouldn't be any problem, at least as far as I know, regarding an award. I wasn't asked, and haven't heard of any difficulties.

It certainly wasn't a 'special' hotel, but it was a comfortable enough place to sleep and a respite from the airport, a very different place than the Frankfurt Sheraton which is obviously more convenient.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Sorry to be demanding, but would you mind posting the wine list for one of your LH F segments and your TG F segment?
No doubt I will get to this over the weekend.

And I need to finish the report off, too

Cheers,
Gary
Old Apr 5, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) to Washington, DC (IAD)
1:15pm Lufthansa 0418, Boeing 747, First Class, Seats 81C, 81A
Scheduled Flight time: 8h 45m

The flight was 100% full in economy and business, and packed to 12 out of 16 in First. This would be our most crowded F cabin of the trip.

After our hour-long delay we were onboard and ready to go. Only we weren’t. Apparently there was a problem with an indicator regarding one of the doors and its associated slides. They thought it was fixed, but it wasn’t. So another call to the mechanics, and we sat on plane for about two hours while they worked out the troubles.

Plenty of drink services in First, and they eventually served the canapé as well while we were still on the ground.

Clearly the FAs were bored, and they wrote out a welcome greeting on each First Class passenger’s menu, with their name on it. But this isn’t SQ, and the special touch was a bit diminished by the need to write seat #s on the menu as well so that the FAs could keep track of whom to give which menu to.

Once aloft we opted to wait to take my main meal. I slept nearly five hours and then asked to eat. This actually turned out nicely because we had two flight attendants serving just the two of us.

The featured chef was again Marcello Fabbri.

Originally Posted by Main Meal
Choice of Hors d’oeuvres
Caviar with the traditional garnishes
King Prawns and Eggplant Tart with Pesto
Roasted Saddle of Veal in jellied Borlotti Beans served with Balsamico Jus
Goat Cheese Terrine with marinated Bell Pepper served with Taggiasa Olives

Salad
Seasonal Greens with fried Mushrooms, Cherry Tomatoes, Carrots and Herbs with your Choice of Ramson or Balsamico Dressing

Choice of Main Courses
Saddle of Lamb Meddalion gratinated with Parmesan Cheese and Olives, Thyme Jus and Potato Pancetta Pave
Loup de Mer filled with Arugula, served with baked Tomatoes and Mashed Potatoes with Olives
Arugula Risotto with Taleggio, Shiitake Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Spring Onions and Walnuts
Roasted Duck Breast with Balsamico Sauce, red cabbage with Orange and Potato Cake

Selection of Cheese and Dessert
Gorgonzola, Peccorino, Taleggio, Livarot and Fougeru garnished with Grapes and Walnuts
Apple Ciafoutis with Almond Ice Cream
Mango Caramel Tart with exotic Fruit Salpicon
Specialty Dessert Wines

I did find that on this flight my reading light was broken. And when I woke up from my nap I wanted a cappuccino, but the espresso machine was broken. My AVOD crashed a couple of times. And towards the end of the flight when I went to put my seat back into its upright position, I found that the seat was broken! The foot rest wouldn’t go back down, and eventually the purser managed to shove it and jump on it until it was ready for landing.

Still, the flight was just fine since I slept so well and the private meal service was so attentive. Since I had just eaten, though, I skipped the pre-arrival snack which was served about an hour and 20 minutes prior to landing

Originally Posted by Snack Time
Cold and Hot Specialties
Sandwiches with Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese, Bell Pepper and Cucumber
Curd Rolls with Porcini Marinated Roast Beef and Cornichons
Cream Cheese and Olives in a Tart
Mixed Pickles
Mixed Meat and Vegetable Casserole

Dessert
Orange Cake and Chocolate Eclairs, Cream of Vanilla with fresh Fruit and Cherry Tart

Fresh Fruit
We came into IAD and had to board the mobile lounges out to immigration. Another large flight had come in ahead of us, and the lines were quite long for US citizens. There was virtually no line for non-citizens. I thought about just getting into that line, but the government scares me and I just didn’t have it in me to take them on over something like a cue trying to get back into the country.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As promised, I'll type up the wine lists and I'll also share final thoughts on the trip. Just have to get there
Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
I'm amazed at the time and effort you've spent on this extensive report. Thank you for the great read!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.