Reload this Page >

Celebrating my 53rd birthday - 1st time in first

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrating my 53rd birthday - 1st time in first

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:53 am

I do hope you appreciate the lengths I have gone to, to be able to reply to your posts! Although I have registered with Flyertalk it is doubtful that I will ever post anything myself (unless you include a budget holiday to Ibiza!). Oh well, it's alright for you single, wealthy people! The trip sounds amazing so far, wish I could have gone shopping with you in Bangkok - I would have easily filled your suitcase!

I will save the birthday wishes for the actual date (if I remember to come on line on the day!), after all, I do have inside knowledge!

Hope you have a great trip, lots of love, look forward to the rest of your reports,
Carol
x
Old Mar 16, 2008, 11:43 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Happy birthday Gatwick Alan.

What a nice present to yourself - first class around the world. Enjoy. You've started off well - 33 minutes to ticket (some kind of record?) and already tantalising info of a mixture of airlines in F.

Hooray.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Caz,
Why is that? The more one contributes the more everybody can learn and benefit from.

Last edited by halothane; Mar 16, 2008 at 8:18 pm
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It's not Alan's birthday just yet...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/member.php?u=40913
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:30 pm

I'm lovin' your report so far. Hope you have a very happy birthday on the 25th.

Bobette
Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Thanks for all your kind comments everyone, perhaps its time to explain a few things.

Kiwi Flyer i couldnt have made the booking so quickly without your information, to anybody thinking of a trip like this, read the star alliance forum. The trip is not particularly complicated, the idea was to try and fly all the main players and ive managed this with the exception of Swiss, which i couldnt fit in without comprimising the places i wanted to visit or exceeding the 29000 mile limit.
Most importantly i wanted a good dose of Singapore whose service is supposedly legendary.
I'll be flying Thai,Lufthansa,Singapore x4, Asiana (j), ANA and United.

Because of the very early easter this year i managed to combine this and next years holiday to make a 3 week trip.

I've been extolling the virtues of Flyertalk to friends and colleagues alike, some think i'm quite mad, whilst others have brought in to the whole deal, i know one work colleague already has collected enough miles for a return trip to the U.S.

As for this Caz Gordon woman, well shes actually my sister and nobody was more surprised than me to see her post !! I guess she just needs a bit of coaching !! I agree with the comment about her posting, i know shes looking at a holiday to Switzerland later in the year, and whilst that might not seem too exciting to British posters, it would probably interest people from the rest of the world, i'll work on her !!

I'm off to that monstrosity of BKK airport shortly, to sample Thai's First class lounge.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
I'm off to that monstrosity of BKK airport shortly, to sample Thai's First class lounge.
I hope you have left enough time for the spa. And don't forget the buggy ride
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Day 4 BKK to KUL on Lufthansa

To the best of my knowledge LH782 is the only *alliance flight that has first class between these 2 cities hence my decision to fly it. I’m not sure it’ll be fair to judge the food on a flight of just over 2 hours, but at least i can try out the hardware.

I left the hotel with plenty of time to spare with the expectation of trying what is supposed to be a great Thai first class lounge. I know i wont be able to sample the massage services, but we’ll see what the rest is like.

My driver picked me up bang on time at the hotel and headed off to the airport. Journey time was a very acceptable 25 minutes

Check in was quick and painless, now is because im in first class that the check in staff go to great lengths to tell me i have my preselected seat and that my frequent flier details have already been entered. Its working anyway because my first flight miles have already posted.

Armed with my invite to the Thai first class lounge, i head in that direction via the duty free shop.
Now it appears 4 is my lucky number for this trip. On the first flight only 4 people in first and as you will see only 4 in first on this trip too.
When i entered the Thai lounge is was quickly attended to by 4 Thai girls. The first rushed over and asked me what i wanted to drink. The second took me to the savoury food section, the third was in charge of deserts and the last one looked after fresh fruit.
At no time was i expected to serve myself, or even carry it to the table. I was surprised they didnt offer to feed it to me.
At 2 in the afternoon the lounge was an oasis of calm and an hour and a quarter just flew by.

The Lufthansa flight was at nearby gate D4 which was a blessing, knowing how long the walks can be. The inbound flight was on time and as the last passenger disembarked, an army of cleaners descended on the plane, i counted them, 24 in total.

Its time to board, i’ll post the flight details tomorrow.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 9:38 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
[B]I was surprised they didnt offer to feed it to me.
You can´t have all benefits, when travelling only in F.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:59 am

How sad are you that you can actually be bothered to count the cleaners?!!!
When you get back you can explain all the benefits of belonging to Flyertalk to me - you know me, a bit of a technophobe, unlike your other sister! (or your Mum!)
The holiday in Switzerland looks unlikely now, we've prmosed to take Steve's Mum with us and she doesn't want to fly! With Steve's back op don't think we can afford 2 hols this year. Oh well, you can help us plan for next year!
Looking forward to reading the rest & what about photos?
Carol
x
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:47 pm

Great stuff Gatwick Alan ^

Your trip does sound absolutely fantastic and I am glad that your FT training is certainly paying off.

There really is nothing quite like that first time that you settle into your First class seat. However, to be honest I still get that sense of excitement each and every time I am fortunate to hold a F BP. That's why I like to write my TRs - so that in future I can look back and relive each and every experience.

I am looking forward to the rest of your instalments and can assure you that you are not really missing too much in Brighton right now!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

The flight was pretty quiet so boarding wasnt much of an issue, but that didnt stop a stupid woman going down the economy airbridge and then try to fight her way back through the business and first passengers to her seat right at the front.

First class is upstairs on Lufthansa and i had booked exit row seat 83A. The other 3 passengers were all sitting in the front row, one a couple and one a man who turned down a chance to have a whole row to himself.
This gave me the chance to get my camera out and take pictures of the food.

The flight left on time and being in the exit row i had the charming German flight attendant to talk to on take off. Her shift pattern was to fly down from Frankfurt, 1 day off, fly down to KL and back, 1 day off then fly back from Bangkok to Frankfurt.
We had a good chat about the best places in the world to visit, i recommended New Zealand from her wish list, and she recommended Rio to me.

Sadly (or not) i was the only person drinking champagne and they had to open a bottle especially for me, which was done in front of me. Time for another Flyertalk tip, if theyve opened the champagne for you, then its your duty to ensure that it doesnt go to waste, happy to report i complied.

I was called by name throughout the flight, something Thai failed to do.
The food was a 3 course meal and the presentation was exquisite. I’d told the flight attendant that i was comparing the first class service on the various airlines and she said, not unreasonably that it wasnt fair to compare on such a short flight and that the food service on the longer flights was much better.
I’d have to say the food presentation was better than Thai, although obviously much less in content. The menu is below.

Dinner
Hors d,oeuvre

Norwegian smoked salmon and caper potato salad with sour cream, tomato salsa and green asparagus

Entrees

Wild Mushroom risotto with whipped cream and sautéed white button mushroom

Stir fry chicken thigh with Chinese mushroom soy sauce, steamed rice, bok choy and grilled bell pepper

Dessert
Pineapple and apple strudel with vanilla sauce

The crew on the flight were excellent, as they were on my last business class flight and would say they were marginally better than Thai.
However if i was to choose between the airlines for an overnight flight i would choose Thai. The Lufthansa seat is comfortable, but on the 747 all of the first class seats are in pairs with no real divider between you and your seatmate. I dont mean to sound snobby but if you are travelling alone in first class its nice to have your own personal space. On Thai you are in your own world if you take a window seat. Also do Lufthansa really think that entertainment screen is acceptable for first class, ive seen bigger in economy.
On this short flight i didnt watch it, but on a long flight that screen would annoy me.

If Lufthansa upgrade the hardware on the plane, the soft side is all in place.

A 20 minute early arrival was negated by having to divert round a thunderstorm.

Next up, Malaysian immigration and the Crown Plaza Kuala Lumpur
Old Mar 18, 2008, 3:56 am
Original Poster

I wanted to highlight here the first bit of travel common sense encountered for a very long time. Malaysia i salute you!!
After getting off the plane i walked to immigration handed over my passport, they swiped it and i was on my way. Done in seconds. Notice what’s missing? Yes no landing or immigration card required. Malaysia did away with them about 2 weeks ago deeming them unnecessary.
Filling in a card with the details from your passport has always been pointless when they swipe them anyway, and what actual use is putting your first night hotel, how does that prove if you are a terrorist or not?, how does that prove if you are going to overstay your welcome? I’m sure the authorities can view your flight bookings if they need to.

Wouldn’t it be lovely if other countries followed suit instead of the ever increasing requirements we are suffering in other countries.

Caught a taxi to the hotel, i know the train is cheaper, but the taxi is only a tenner ($20) and not worth mucking about with the train and a cab, particularly after that champagne.
Stayed at the Crowne Plaza as i did last time i was here, even got the same room again. The lounge on the 21st floor is nice and serves a better breakfast than the holiday inn in Bangkok. Dont rely on it in the evening to fill you up.
One thing i did notice was that last time i stayed i had a fruit bowl and a small box of chocolates in the room, nothing this time though. Whilst not important you wonder if its a cost saving or just forgetfullness, especially after all the waffle about how wonderful it was to see me back.

The weather in KL was mixed to say the least, sunny til lunchtime then heavy rain and thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Next up – a chance to take SQ kul-sin before it turns to business class and then onto Melbourne on a 747 in first and the opportunity to sample Chiangi T3 and the new lounge.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 0.72MM
Alan,

A fantastic report so far and one that i've just spent the last 20minutes reading! I look forward to seeing your report to MEL. It's a wonderful city and has so much to offer. I look forward to find out where you are staying!

Chris
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Alan, if you areable to, remember you can change your SQ F ticket (and back!) to MH so you can try both the MH KUL F Golden Lounge AND the SQ lounge.

I guess it is academic as your SIN-SYD is SQ!

Flying SQ F to SIN, can you go into the SQ F lounge in T3 with your (just used) boarding pass? I recall arriving MH pax can use the MH lounge but SQ probably does not allow lounge use for arriving pax.

Don't forget the toiletries in the SIN SKL.
The Tiger beer tap there is great.
What champers is in the ice bucket today?

Looking forward to MEL, too, and hope we meet there. Enjoy your trip and have a single malt on the way for me!

[Edit to add: If you read this in time AND have time on the way from the SKL to the gate, can you check on the SIN Duty Free price of Johnny Walker Blue? If it's a great price I'll add it to the Duty Free 'best buy' list. Thanks!]
Cheers,
BB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.