Celebrating my 53rd birthday - 1st time in first

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Celebrating my 53rd birthday - 1st time in first

Celebrating my 53rd Birthday – RTW4- First time in First

The Preamble

After spending 2 months travelling around the world in the autumn of 2006, I wondered if my appetite for travel would be satisfied, and for about 3 months it was, but by the end of February I’d got it back and booked my summer holidays in Arizona. I didn’t write a trip report for that as there is not much you can say about return flights on AA in economy!!
Once that was booked it was back to reading the trip reports on Flyer talk and reports from people like Seat 2a, Moomba, Carfield,Tex277, PhilH and others convinced me that it was time to get a taste of first class travel for myself.
After weeks playing with the star alliance mileage calculator and taking advice from the excellent guides set up by Kiwi flyer, I was ready to book.

I was pleased to see that Trailfinders had opened a branch in my home town, so I went to visit in person. I had everything printed out ready, and after the consultant initially started questioning the validity of my route, he decided wisely that he’d better just feed it in to the system, and surprise, surprise it was valid. I also presented him with a list of seat requests and he was able to get all the seats I wanted, except for the business class flight on Asiana. The whole process took only 33 minutes, but that was 3 minutes too long as I received a parking ticket from those evil Traffic wardens in Brighton.
The one disappointment was not being able to get booked on a Singapore 77W, so on one flight I had to book the regional first class instead. Some weeks later the agent phoned me to say a seat had opened up on the 77W and he had held it for me, and did I want it. Well naturally I grabbed it with both hands, so by August all the flights were set.

Over the next couple of months I booked the various hotels and I was set to go.

Now I’ve never flown first class before, (I’m not counting internal flying in the U.S as first class, business class at best in my opinion) so all I can compare it to is my previous trips in business class.
You will have to forgive me if my ramblings become excited and irrational, things which might seem second nature to you experienced first class flyers will be a novelty to me. Whilst you experienced fliers might read on in amusement, hopefully I will generate some interest amongst those of you who, like me have never sampled the delights of first class travel before.

This trip will include 3 new cities, 2 new countries, 2 new airlines, an American city i’ve not been to for 15 years and of course my first time in first class.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Now I’ve never flown first class before, (I’m not counting internal flying in the U.S as first class, business class at best in my opinion) so all I can compare it to is my previous trips in business class.
You will have to forgive me if my ramblings become excited and irrational, things which might seem second nature to you experienced first class flyers will be a novelty to me. Whilst you experienced fliers might read on in amusement, hopefully I will generate some interest amongst those of you who, like me have never sampled the delights of first class travel before.
Not in the least. I look forward to reading your report and am glad that you are so excited about it.

I think the only thing better than the anticipation of a new F flight is an unexpected F flight.

My first First was an op-up on CX and I was hooked from then on.

Beware though going back to J might take some counseling

Edited to add: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Last edited by Moomba; Mar 15, 2008 at 6:18 am
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Day 1_- To Heathrow and onwards to Bangkok

I hate Heathrow, i hate the airport and i hate travelling to it. I have to accept that if i'm flying to Asia i've got little choice, but the open skies agreement now means my summer flights to the States have moved from very convenient Gatwick to Heathrow. Damn.

Anyway, thats enough moaning, on to the trip.

Unlike my last trip to Heathrow, the trains ran like clockwork and the journey was hassle free, so was check in, where my seat request 2A had been honoured and my US frequent flier number entered all without having to ask.

I looked at security and decided the regular queues were shorter than the fast track ones, the boarding card checker admonished me for not taking advantage of the fast track privelege. I told her i was happy where i was and surprisingly was through in 5 minutes. I simply walked around the shoe screening area instead of going through it despite an unimportant person directing you through it. Thats a tip i picked up on flyer talk.

I then decided to use another flyertalk tip and headed for the Singapore lounge even though im flying Thai. The man on the desk asked for my Thai gold card, which i told him i dont have or need. He then tried to direct me to the business side until i reminded him of the Star Alliance lounge access rules.

To be honest i wasnt that impressed so headed over to the london lounge that Thai use, even though it doesnt have a first class section, it seemed to have a better ambience than Singapore’s lounge, although the food offerings were slightly worse.

Annoyingly the wifi in the lounge wasnt working so i wasnt able to post the first part of this report before i left. Not being a computer wizz, i assumed it was my fault until i saw 2 young Japanese guys fail to connect, which made me feel a lot better !!

Time now to head off to the gate to hear those words “we’d like to welcome our first class passengers to board” apply to me for the first time!!

To be continued
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:23 am

Programs: BA
Looking forward to reading and sharing your first class extravaganza with you Gatwick Alan!!

Enjoy!!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 7:58 am
Original Poster

The gate was announced late, and boarding didnt even start until the time we were due to take off.
When they announced preboarding for people with children half the plane got on, then they announced first class boarding another stampede took place. Another flyertalk tip i’d picked up was how to deal with the gate lice (wonderful term, whoever thought that up) I settled behind a man clearly holding an economy boarding pass and asked him if this was the first class queue. With that question the hoard parted and i was through.
I was greeted at the door and shown to seat 2A, and had my jacket taken

At this point a tip that Moomba gave to first time first class fliers came into my head.
That immortal piece of advice was just say yes to what ever you are offered. So i did.

Champagne before take off, oh yes please. Would you like another once we are airborne, oh yes please..... you get the picture!!

I was relieved to see we had the new first class and there were only 4 people out of 10 tonight. The seats were laid out with the ameneties bag, menu and blanket, and i was quickly given a pair of pyjamas. I was going to ask for medium, but was advised i was a large, charming!!!
The guy in1A went and changed before we took off, so following his lead i did the same, but not until the first glass of champers had been downed. I didnt care about looking a burke as everybody else did too. Light purple is not really my colour.

We were an hour and 10 minutes late getting off the ground, but a strong tail wind meant a 10 hour flying time and an on time arrival.

The captain then came on and gave the longest speech about the routing ive ever heard. He named every country we would be flying over and ever body of water too, took him 10 minutes in english.

Now ive read some bad reports about the Thai service and maybe im not yet the best person to judge, but i couldnt fault the service. The glass was kept full, service was at just the right speed for me and when i woke up they were by my side in seconds offering a drink. I’ll compare it against Singapore in a few days.

I found the seat comfortable and was able to sleep in the flat position.

We were given a pack of cards at the end to thank us for flying Thai.

The menu is below

TG917 LHR-BKK March 14th 2007 – First class

First Serving

Hot Savoury
Prawn on toast, Plum Sauce

First Course
Duck Foie Gras
Marinated Prawns
Broiled lobster tail
Creme fraiche with dill

Soup
Curried celery Soup

Main Course
Grilled angler fish,veloute saffron fish sauce,parsley buttered potatoes, vegetables

or
Prawns in green curry, Steamed Thai hom mali rice, mixed vegetables in oyster sauce, salted egg

or
Grilled fillet of beef, morcel cream sauce, duchess potatoes, pumpkin, carrot and zucchini

or
Roasted Duck, Soy Sauce
Steamed Thai Hom Mali Rice
Pak Choy and carrot in Oyster Sauce
Assorted Breads / Butter
Assorted Cheese tray / Fresh Fruits

Dessert

Cassis roulade, raspberry coulis
Tea, Coffee, Espresso, Cappucino

Openfaced Sandwiches (available upon request)
Tea, Coffee

Second Serving

Fresh Fruits
Yoghurt, Cereals

Main Course
Pork Siew Mai, ShrimpHa Gao, Pork Shar Siew Bun

or
Omelet filled with cream asparagus topped with parmesan cheese gratin
Grilled back bacon, potato
Creamed mushrooms, roasted cherry tomato
or
Bolied Egg
Grilled Bacon
Grilled Chicken Sausage
or
Scrambled egg, smoked salmon, grilled back bacon, tomato provencale
or
Yellow noodle soup with roast pork
Or
Soft boiled rice with accompaniments

White Toast, Croissant, Mini Brown Hovis Roll
Butter, Honey, Jam, marmalade
Tea, Coffee, Ovaltine

I had the Angler fish which was really good, nice and moist. Not sure how good this first class fare was yet, i enjoyed it, but i reserve judgement til ive sampled a few more airlines.

Once we got to the gate, E9, about as far away from immigration as you can get, first class passengers are greeted by a man holding up your name and you are whisked into a cart, driven straight to immigration and then processed in the diplomatic channel with no queues. You are then taken to baggage reclaim, where the first class bags came out first. A porter then takes you to your waiting car, loads the luggage into the boot, bows and departs. This really is a great service from Thai, totally stress free after a long flight, they do all the thinking for you.

Next up - a quick shop in Bangkok.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: CO-Silver, Hertz, Marriott Silver, Hilton
Happy Birthday! I hope you enjoy your trip and I look forward vicariously living through you via your trip report.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 4:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's a lot of fun to read the fresh views from someone new to the front. Keep writing and enjoying!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Like yourself until recently, I've only done domestic "first". Hoping to one day cross the pond from the front of the plane. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Thanks for the trip report! I'm looking forward to experience 1st across the pond here sometime this year.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the birthday wishes guys, perhaps i should admit my birthday is not until March 25th, when i will be living it up on a Singapore 77w in first.
Now that i am looking forward to !!!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:53 am

Happy birthday in advanced, Alan! First class RTW - what a nice birthday treat! ^

Great report thus far - looking forward to more.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Days 2 and 3 Bangkok

I decided to stay at the Holiday Inn, the one adjacent to the Intercontinental. The last few trips here have been spent at the Amari Watergate, but i felt that hotel was looking a bit tired in the rooms, so i decided to collect points instead. I did consider the Intercontinental but as its more expensive and undergoing a refurb, i settled on the Holiday Inn and am very happy with my choice.

I didnt get as far as the check in as i was ushered to a seat and checked in from there. Maybe the priority club tag on the luggage did the trick.

I was upgraded into a junior suite. This is not like a UK or US Holiday Inn, its altogether a higher standard. Access to the Executive club was included, the lounge serves breakfast and is open right up to 11pm. A great place to stop off and get a cool drink after stepping out into the hot and humid streets of Bangkok.

Those of you who have been to Bangkok will know there are bargains galore to be had and in glad i didnt fill the suitcase up, with KL coming up next space will be at a premium after that !! A quick stroll up to Pantip Plaza (computers, cds etc) and Pratunam Market (clothes) did it for me.

If youve never been, once you get out of the hotel your senses are assaulted by the smells of food, cars and other indeterminate things. Its a hectic place and one you either love or hate, me i love it.

Next up a short hop to KL on Luffy.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Happy Birthday in advance, Alan,

I knew I would read something about LHR, from your FT handle.
You reports on the success of FT tips is great.

Thank you for sharing these tips and experiences, of your 'Alan's excellent adventure(s)'. ^

Sounds like lots of fun, so far...
Mid-Valley Megamall is good in KL if you can get that far from KL (it's one SLOW train stop from Sentral; taxi might be a better option).

Make sure you go out somewhere special for St Patrick's Day!

Last edited by BiziBB; Mar 16, 2008 at 2:29 am
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BiziBB
Happy Birthday in advance, Alan,

I knew I would read something about LHR, from your FT handle.
You reports on the success of FT tips is great.

Make sure you go out somewhere special for St Patrick's Day!
Actually the reason for the handle isnt because i hate LHR, though i do, it was simply because at the time i was spending 3 years working at Gatwick and i thought i might be able to be of some use to people wanting info on LGW.
In fact on one occasion i met a fellow flyertalker and helped them transfer from BA to NW.
Times change and i work there no longer.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Great trip report OP. I am really enjoying it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.