Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great so far.
Looking forward to following you on your journeys Moomba. A LH F to EZE would be nice?

Pictures of food as well - change of style eh?

Last edited by HIDDY; Feb 24, 2008 at 11:57 am
Old Feb 24, 2008, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Great so far.
Looking forward to following you on your journeys Moomba. A LH F to EZE would be nice?

Pictures of food as well - change of style eh?
Hah. It is still half eaten food though. That is my TR TM. Well unless I forget and all you get is a picture of a plate.

I think South America and BA in particular is fast moving up the list of places to visit for me.

Last edited by Moomba; Feb 24, 2008 at 1:29 pm
Old Mar 1, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Only just catching up with this! I was about to contact you to see how it was going and then I remembered the 'tease' TR that appeared just before my own latest trip got underway.

A very interesting report so far and, as has already been remarked, decidedly jealousy-inducing (I have still to experience the FCT at FRA.)

For me, the highlight so far is that incredible suite on Mauritius. Absolutely breathtaking!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 10:54 pm

Great TR so far, Moomba and thanks for evoking pleasant memories of LH F.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Part 4 LHR - AUH

The Photos

Given my next flight was early 09:30 I thought I would spend the night at the Sheraton Skyline at LHR. As London based SPG tart a weekend stay at this hotel is one of the cheaper options to help keep that lovely SPG status.

I left work at around 16:45 ( I am an early starter ) I caught two tubes and the HEX to LHR and then the free bus; that arrived almost as soon as I did at the stop; to the hotel and was door to door in around 70 minutes which must be some sort of record.

The club lounge was out of action but they gave me a voucher to use for free drinks between 18:00 & 22:00 and for a free full English breakfast at their restaurant.
Neither of which I took advantage of but it was nice to know it was offered.
I was upgraded to an executive room with a view out towards LHR and the active takeoff runway which would only have been around 500 metres away.

After a fitful sleep I awoke 2 minutes before my alarm went off. I checked out at around 07:00 and was going to catch the free bus back to LHR but the hoppa was there as I walked out and it was just too tempting. The Sheraton Skyline is the last stop on the run and it is always tempting if the hoppa is there as LHR is the next stop.

Our first stop was T1 at which I got off and headed down to the HEX station. As I walked onto the platform the train pulled in. After the short journey to T4 I ascended in the elevator and went to the very empty F check-in area. There were 2 agents and 1 passenger. One of the agents was on the phone and as soon as she had finished I was called over.

“My that it quite a wodge. We don’t get too many paper tickets anymore. ” was the reaction from the agent when I handed over my ticket and passport.
She was very friendly and apologised that my gate was 25 and I said well at least it is not a bus gate. I thanked her and went on my way.

One of the oddities of checking in at the First desk at LHR T4 is that you then have to negotiate a the scrum of all the civilians (thank you Liz Hurley for the use of that term) to get to the security check point. You need to be able to negotiate the mingling hoards that seem not to know where they are going.

The fast track was slower than the slow track as the employees seemed more intent on chatting to one another rather than doing their job.
I loaded all my stuff and shoes into tub and sent my carry-on and it through the x-ray. I passed through and collected my stuff, put on my shoes and made a beeline for the Concorde Room.

The outside dragon was busy so I just walked past and into the inner sanctum. A lovely agent checked my BP and told me to make myself comfortable.

I went down to the computers and checked mail etc. I then found an empty seat and sat. One of the staff walked right past me without bothering to ask if I wanted anything. So once again I had to take the initiative to go up to the bar and ask for a glass of champagne. One of the other staff asked me if I would like anything and I of course had to ask for the bacon baguette.

The lounge was quite empty at first but filled up by the time I was due to leave. Sitting there reading my book I realised that did not remember collecting my liquids after security. On checking my bag they were indeed in there and had been all along as I had not taken them out in the first place. Nice to see LHR security working to such levels of efficiency. We place our security in these hands? What a bloody joke.

I waited in the lounge until my flight was called and then proceeded to walk the mile to the end of the Victor pier. I said goodbye to the CR for the last time ever and to T4 for that matter.

Boarding had all but completed as I got to the gate and walked straight up to an agent who did the deed with my BP and took the flight coupon. I then proceeded down to the aircraft and walked on board without any queue.

Flight BA0073 LHR - AUH Seat 2K
Aircraft: 777-300
Departure time: 09:30

Once on board I found my seat and I was immediately approached and my jacket taken. PJs and amenity kits were given out to all passengers. I was then asked if I wanted a drink. I said it is never too early for champagne and the purser replied of course not, I like your style.

The bubbles arrived along with some macadamia and cashew nuts. A date and Arabic coffee were then offered which I accepted, of course. As I recently told someone in a thread on FT who was travelling in First for the first time. “Just say Yes to anything they offer and you will be right”. It has never failed me so far.
The coffee smelled quite strongly of cardamom but the taste was not over powering and it was quite pleasant indeed.
Menus were given out and a card explaining the different teas available on board.

The menu:

Starters:

Lobster, mango and pink grapefruit salad with honey and coriander dressing

Meze plate

White bean and oregano soup with truffle oil and fresh herb croutons

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of Roquefort cheese and pine nut dressing or spiced lemon and soy dressing

Main:
Grilled fillet of beef with grilled marinated courgettes, foie gras crouton and Anna potatoes

Catch of the Day – Please ask our crew for details of today’s fresh fish selection served with your choice of watercress sauce or red pepper citrus coulis, seasonal vegetables and parley potatoes

Vineet Bhatia’s chicken in green masala, green pea and cumin rice with stir-fried asparagus and enki mushrooms

Main course Greek salad with herb dressing

Dessert:
Michel Roux’s blancmange with roast pineapple

Warm treacle tart with vanilla ice cream

Cheese Plate

Tornegus – This semi-hard unpasteurised cheese is made from cow’s milk and herbs

Montgomery Cheddar – An award-winning straw-coloured unpasteurised cheese that is rich in flavour with a hint of fruit; this variety is made from the legendary Jersey cow’s milk and is a British Airways exclusive

Cropwell Organic Stilton – Produced by the award-winning Cropwell Bishop Creamery, this is a well-balanced and creamy blue Stilton made from pasteurised milk

A basket of fresh fruit

Snacks:
Warm olive oil bread filled with mesquite chicken and tomato relish

Fresh pasta with your choice of char-grilled red pepper sauce or porcini mushroom and Parmesan cheese sauce served with garlic herb croute

Duchy of Cornwall biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

Wine List:

Champagne:
Lanson Nobel Cuvee Blanc de Blancs 1999

White:
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2006, Domaine William Fevre

Soave Classico Vigneti di Foscarino 2006, Azienda Agricola Inama

Grosset Piccadilly Chardonay 2005, Adelaide Hills

Red:
Chateau Batailley 1996, Grand Cru Classe Pauillac

Barbaresco 2005, Bruno Rocca

Mitchelton Print Shiraz 1999, Victoria

Dessert:
Saussignac Cuvee Flavie, Chateau des Eyssards 2005

Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

After take off hot towels were handed out and I was offered another drink and I decided to stick with the Lanson which was beginning to grow on me.
Canapes were handed out to go with the drink.

The lunch orders were taken and the purser stated that some were eating now and some were waiting until midday to eat. I opted to wait and ordered the fish of the day which was a sea bass and the meze plate and being a greedy so and so the soup as well.
The CSD came to visit and asked me to let him know if there was anything I needed.

I didn’t bother with the stupidly small IFE system they have on these 777 aircraft. My camera display is not much smaller. I took out my laptop and started to write up this report whilst waiting for my lunch. Of course I did have a couple of more champagne whilst doing so

Lunch time came around soon enough and my table was set and a bread roll offered. The meze plate appeared and had my favourite Middle Eastern treat of tabhouli along with humus a dolmades (whatever they call them over here) and some roasted vegetables.

After I had finished this I was offered more bread and the soup course came out. The soup was very hot and very nice.

I was tempted with the beef fillet but remembered how disappointed I was with that choice on my JNB-LHR flight and went for the fish dish. It was quite nice but just a touch dry. At this point I also switched over to the Aussie white chardonnay which was very nice and not overly oaked like some downunder wines can be.

After the main course I was offered dessert and decided to try out the treacle tart with ice cream. It was very good although a little stodgy.
After all this food I was feeling decidedly stuffed to the point where I was almost feeling sick. But as I am the subject of many people’s vicarious travels I must persevere.

After the lunch was taken away I decided to listen to my ipod and do the sudoku from the newspaper. After the sudoku was done and dusted I asked for a double espresso as I was desperate not to fall asleep in order that I could sleep in Abu Dhabi.

It didn’t work and I found myself dozing on and off throughout the remainder of the flight. Around 50 minutes out of AUH the crew offered an afternoon tea service.

English Afternoon Tea

Snacks:

A selection of sandwiches featuring –
Smoked salmon with black pepper
Chunky egg with baby spinach
Coronation chicken
Roast vegetables and cream cheese

Patisserie:
Plain or fruit scones served with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Farmhouse fruit cake, rhubarb custard tart with nutmeg and macaroon

The teas:
Traditional English
Pure Darjeeling
Earl Grey
Pure Camomile
Pure Peppermint
Blackcurrant, Ginseng and Vanilla
Lemon and Ginger
Pure Green Tea

As it had not been that long since I partook in the luncheon service I declined all but a cup of peppermint tea. The crew brought me a couple of duchy original shortbread biscuits to nibble on as well. Towards the end of the flight my nose had one its turns it does every now and again. Sneezing and running like nobody’s business. I was feeling really retched but the tea did help.

After tea the CSD came and asked if I wouldn’t mind filling in a survey. I gave the staff at the Concorde Room a good beating and the IFE service on board came under fire as well. The crew got almost top marks as they were quite good but not the best I have had on BA.

We arrived at AUH and pulled up to the gate around 15 minutes early. I was off first and headed for immigrations. I had read that for the UAE Australian’s need a visa that can be bought on arrival. I went to the visa window and the guy said I didn’t need one. I walked up to a free immigrations official and he stamped me entry into the UAE.
I then had to have my carry on x-rayed prior to entering the baggage claim area.

I walked straight though here and was expecting a pick up that I had pre arranged with the hotel. There was no one there and I had to catch a cab to the hotel.
Why is it in the Middle East you are always in fear of your life when you get in a taxi? My chap was cruising along towards the city centre at 170 kph, slowing to a more respectable 140 kph later in the journey.
We arrived at the hotel in around 20 minutes and I made my way inside. Here is where I realised I had made that blunder of blunders I only once have done in the past. Yep the wrong Sheraton. They put me in a cab and sent me to the one at which I did have a booking. After about 10 minutes we pulled up to the Sheraton Khalidiya.

A short cab ride later I was checking into my upgraded corner suite. The check-in agent asked if my driver picked me up OK and I said there was no one there when I came out. Anyway I am now up in my room which consists of a living area, a kitchen with a sink and a full size refrigerator and a kettle but nothing else! There is a separate bedroom and bathroom. It is all a little dated but comfortable none the less. The bathroom had James Gent amenities instead of the usual dire Sheraton stuff. I started to take photos of the suite and my camera battery died. I thought ha ha I have been here before and I have my spare battery with me. I loaded it into the camera and it was dead too. Grrrrrr.

So here I am in my room, my head hurts, my ears are blocked, my nose won’t stop running and my TR is going pot with no more photos for the rest of the trip.
Can someone remind me again why I do this? Is it passion or addiction?

The Photos

Next up - did someone say Pea Soup?

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 1, 2008 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Moomba
You need to be able to negotiate the mingling hoards ...
Funny, I read that as 'minging'.

Talk about a Freudian slip!
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Part 5 AUH - MCT - AUH - LHR

I stayed up late AUH time until the early hours of the following morning as I didn’t want to get too out of synch with GMT. Also the flight out of AUH was going to be in the wee hours of the following morning.

I finally got my butt out of bed around 11 and fired up the laptop in order to check-in for my next 3 flights.
It was at this time I realised, or so I thought, that my nose attack from the day before was the start of yet another bloody cold. God damn it what is going on with my body of late.

Anyway as I was sans camera and feeling crap I decided just to potter for the day and wander a bit around the hotel area, which wasn’t that exciting. I did see the wonderfully named Cheese and Pickles Centre though.

Thank goodness for SPG 16:00 check outs when your flight is not due to leave until 21:15. After I checked out I had a late lunch and then read my book in the lounge until it was time to go back to the airport.

My drive back was far more sedate and we did not go any faster than 120kph.
I was deposited right outside the premium entrance to AUH airport. I walked through the entrance and had my bags x-rayed prior to going to the check-in counter.

The BA check-in counter is actually not within line of sight at this terminal.
You see the normal check-in desks off to the right and straight in front of you are the Ethiad premium check-in desks. I walked up and asked the agent where I check-in for BA and she said to go around the back. I walked past these desks and turned around and there was the BA desk back to back with the Ethiad desks.

The agent took my itinerary and passport and said are you coming back to AUH tonight? I said Yes. She said are you doing a visa run? I said no a mileage run. I also said I was going on to London on the same flight.

The AUH-MCT-AUH is one of those short hops that is a great Tier Points spinner with BA Executive Club members. I asked her if she could print my AUH-LHR boarding pass and that I had already checked-in online. She said it was not possible and didn’t even try despite my urging. I know they can as others have had their BPs printed in AUH.

She wrote out an invitation to the Al Ghazal lounge and pointed me in the direction of immigrations which was just behind me. There was one agent there who was talking on his mobile phone as I walked up. He interrupted his call and did the open, look, flick, stamp, nod and I was on my way to the lounge.

After exiting immigrations the lounge is straight ahead and on the left.
The lounge is on two levels. The upstairs appeared to be no smoking as there were no ashtrays anywhere. There was hot and cold food offerings, Arabic coffee and sweets, a panini grill, where you could grill your own and two loud TVs at either end of the floor.
On a mezzanine level were 4 PCs and the lower level had a manned bar and more TVs and ashtrays.
The flight was running 45 minutes late which meant an even longer stay in the lounge. So I sat and mostly read for the next two hours and only had one G&T (Bombay Sapphire too) and a panini.

Eventually the flight was called at around 21:30 by the lounge dragon wandering around the lounge announcing it.

I made my way down to the gate and through a passport & BP check and then security to a rather full looking gate lounge. I thought my there are a lot of people wanting to go to MCT tonight. After around 5 minutes the agent called the flight and a few of us got up and approached. It was at this time I realised that most of the people were waiting for another flight from the same lounge area.

Flight BA0073 AUH - MCT Seat 1A
Departure time: 21:15

On board my jacket was taken and I was offered a drink and you all know by now what I ordered. The captain announced that the flight was delayed because of a baggage mix up which meant the plane had to taxi back to stand at LHR and have bags added or taken off – he wasn’t sure. A different flight crew take the flight AUH-MCT-AUH so he was not the captain that flew the bird from LHR that morning. He was however the captain that flew me out the day before.

The flight was expected to take 40 minutes and that is exactly what it did take. We took off at 22:05 and landed exactly 40 minutes later.
The service on this flight was more bubbles and canapés which were delivered by the very friendly and still chipper flight crew, who do work the whole flight from LHR-MCT.

At MCT we parked at a remote stand and the stairs and busses were ready to whisk us off to the terminal.

I followed the signs to transfers and asked if they could print my AUH-LHR BP and they said No and that I would have to transit in AUH and get it there.
I proceeded through a security check point and then downstairs to the Air Oman lounge that BA uses in MCT.

The lovely agent said ‘Where did you get this boarding pass?’ I said in AUH and she said ‘eww it is black and white’. I said even in London these days they only print these nasty cheap things. She was not impressed.
She wrote out a lounge invite and kept it and sent me in saying that she would call the flight when it was ready.

Inside the first thing I spied were some computers that were attached to printers. So I sit down at one, log onto BA.com and print my AUH-LHR boarding pass. Take that you nasty AUH agent. Phhhhbbbbbppppptttttt.

The lounge was quite busy for so late at night and consisted of lots of leather club style lounge chairs, which were looking a little well used. There was a manned bar and self service food area and cold drinks section.
I sat and read for a bit and had a drink or two.
They made up the time and the flight was actually due to leave on time to go back to AUH.

The agent called the flight and instead of walking back upstairs a gentleman ushered me through the special needs door which led straight to the gates. The upstairs route takes you though the duty free shops at MCT airport, you then have to go downstairs again to get to the gates.
Another security check BP taken at the gate and then onto a bus to be taken to the aircraft.

Flight BA0072 MCT – AUH - LHR Seat 2K
Departure time: 00:15

I already knew (and so did they) I was going to have the same crew back to LHR that I had on the way out to AUH the day before. So it was no surprise to see the same CSD at the door when I walked on board. He welcomed me back and took me to my seat. On the way the F purser welcomed me back. Then the other two F crew came over and welcomed me back.

Sometimes it is good to be the King.

They were all quite concerned as I was only showing on the manifest as flying back to AUH and not to London. I said it is a separate ticket and I will be on the AUH manifest. I said the only problem is I need to get my BP out to the gate agent or transit in AUH. The purser told me she would speak to the CSD about it.

The lovely lass that worked my side on the way out asked me if I would like a drink and shock horror I asked for water.

PJs, kits and Menus were handed out and I got the ‘champagne after take off Mr Moomba?’ I said yes please. The F purser came around and said even though according to my manifest you are not coming to London I will take your order anyway.

The Menu:

Starters:

Prawn and mango salad with sweet chilli dressing

Sweet potato and coconut soup

Fresh salad leaves with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette or red pepper cream dressing

Main:
Grilled fillet of beef with mustard sauce and potato wafers

Lobster Shepherd’s pie with lobster sauce and cheese-crusted mashed potatoes with buttered spinach

Dessert:
Pear and almond cake

Cheese Plate:
Mature Cheddar – A full flavour and buttery texture are the hallmarks of this classic cheese

Red Leicester – Made from cow’s milk, this orange-coloured cheese has a mild flavour and crumbly texture

English Stilton – Stilton is an English, cow’s milk, semi-hard, blue, unpressed cheese with a natural brushed rind

Lighter Option:
Poached chicken breast with wild mushroom cream sauce on a crisp rosti potato cake

Snacks:
Toasted turkey and onion relish sandwich

Fresh cannelloni pasta with beetroot and Gorgonzola cheese served with Parmesan cream or tomato sauce

Duchy of Cornwall biscuits

Selection of fruit and cheese

Wine List:

Champagne:

Lanson Nobel Cuvee Blanc de Blancs 1999

White:
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2006, Domaine William Fevre

Soave Classico Vigneti di Foscarino 2006, Azienda Agricola Inama

Grosset Piccadilly Chardonay 2005, Adelaide Hills

Red:
Chateau Batailley 1996, Grand Cru Classe Pauillac

Barbaresco 2005, Bruno Rocca

Mitchelton Print Shiraz 1999, Victoria

Dessert:
Saussignac Cuvee Flavie, Chateau des Eyssards 2005

Warre’s 1988 Colheita Port

As it was already 00:15 and I had been grazing in various lounges for the last few hours I decided to go for the light option. The F purser said they would get it out to me as soon as possible after we took off from AUH.

We started to roll at around 00:20 and the captain told us it would be a 40 minute flight to AUH.

Once in the air the crew came out with my champagne and more canapés of the exactly the same variety as the AUH-MCT flight. There was a small salmon bite, another thing which was mostly cream cheese with a caper on top, a spring roll and a samosa. This time though the crew also supplied a chilli sauce to dip into.

The flight was over in 40 minutes and on approach to AUH I noticed that the whole area had a light layer of fog about.

We pulled up at the gate and I remained seated as the CSD had instructed me until he found out if I needed to get off or not. A few minutes later the F purser came over all smiley saying give me your BP and you can stay on board. I said I need to give you a coupon too as it is a paper ticket. She came back a while later and said the gate agent had torn off the top of my BP and taken the coupon and she gave me back the rest of the BP.
I was offered more champagne whilst on the ground. We were supposed to be on the ground for around an hour and twenty minutes.

Boarding started and quite a lot of people walked past on their way down the back whilst I sat sipping bubbles.

I was looking out the window through the fog at the plane at the next gate when the Captain came on and said that they were trying to close up as soon as possible as it was quite foggy and was a borderline visibility for the airport to operate. Around 10 minutes later I looked out the window and could not even see the plane at the next gate. There was a faint red glow of the light its roof but that was the only indication I could see of anything being out there.

My lovely crew member was filling my glass and I said we ain’t going anywhere and pointed out the window. She said oh that is bad isn’t it?
A minute later we go the word from the Captain that the airport had been closed and we had to wait it out.

At this point the crew got into action and delivered our after take off beverage and canapé service. Bottles of water were handed out and when mine was empty a new one was delivered.
Around half an hour later the Captain came on again and said they fog was due to hang around until at least 09:00. It was now close to 03:30. By 09:00 of course the crew would be out of hours. He said they could wait for 4 hours before they would not be able to fly. He also said he wanted us to stay on board in case it did clear enough to get some flights out. He also said we were currently 13th on the list waiting to take off.

My supper was delivered not long after this and I tried a glass of the Shiraz to go with it.
Both were tasty and hit the spot.

The Captain came on again a while later and said that BA in London had informed him that if the flight didn’t go out this evening they would hold it over until the following evening so that the crew had ample time to rest.

After I had finished eating I put the seat back and tried to sleep for a while.

At a little before 05:00 the Captain said the fog had lifted enough for ATC to let one flight go at a time. They only allow one aircraft moving on the field at time when it is this foggy. He also said we had jumped the queue to number 3 as we were ready to go.

At 05:00 we pushed back and made a slow taxi to the runway. We took off not much later and were soon emerging from the fog into the clear night sky.

As soon as the seat belt signs were off the crew started to make up the beds in first class. Members of the Business crew were also helping out so that everyone was bedded down as soon as possible. Well done BA for that one.
I was asked by no less than 3 crew members if I would like my bed made up. I declined all three and did my usual duvet on the bottom blanket on top and foam mattress thingy in the overhead locker.

I slept for most of the flight and even when others were stirring for breakfast I still lay down wanting to get as much rest as I could.
I eventually sat up around an hour out of London and was immediately asked if I wanted something for breakfast.

Breakfast:

Starters:

Chilled fruit juice

An energising smoothie

A selection of yoghurts

A selection of cereals

Fresh seasonal fruit plate

Bakery:
A selection of breakfast breads and pastries

Main:
Traditional morning grill selection of freshly scrambled eggs, veal sausages, sautéed mushrooms, grilled tomato and breakfast potato cake with herbs

Souffle omelette with asparagus and a light cheese sauce

Banana pancakes with maple syrup

Citrus fresh fruit plate with Feta cheese and olives

I decided to be ever so boring again and just had some Fruit and Nut cereal and a smoothie. I had to wait a while for my peppermint tea as the seat belt sign came on just was starting to eat.

At 40 minutes out I changed back into my clothes and stood chatting to the crew in the galley until the seat belt sign came on for landing.

We landed close to 09:00 and had to cross to the other side of the airport and an active runway to get to our gate. There was some congestion at the gate area that held us up a little more but eventually we pulled up at a real gate. The F purser waved goodbye from the other side of the plane and my crew said goodbye. I thanked them both and then the CSD at the door who wished me well.

I then headed for immigrations which was quite a hike. I was first to the IRIS machine but it refused to play ball. Move left, move right, move closer, move back. It eventually tossed me out. I swore at it and went to the fast track desks instead. A few minutes later I was out in the arrivals area and making my way to the BA arrivals lounge and nice hot shower.

It was after this that I finally put two and two together and realised that I have an allergy to the Elemis shower gel they use now at BA. I go blotchy and itchy and had noticed it when I got back from JNB as well.

After the shower it was off to the HEX and the trip back to work at which I arrived around 11am around 2.5 hours after I was expecting to. I rang my boss whilst on the train to say I would be late and she said to me 'you are the only person I know who would ever ring to tell me I am going to be late in to work because of a 2.5 hour fog delay in Abu Dhabi' and laughed.

There you have it another eventful trip with the old pea souper delaying my departure and messing up my plans. Ah well it is all part of the fun of travelling and I would give it up for quids.

Passion or addiction?

Next up - a visit to the most beautiful city in the world and a stupid mileage run

Last edited by Moomba; Mar 5, 2008 at 1:13 pm
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:34 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Another great report Moomba!! ^
Really looking forward to read the rest...
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:28 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Great TR! ^
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:38 am

A most enjoyable TR mate.

Passion v Addiction - hmmmm.... an addictive passion?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:05 pm

Moomba?

I'm a wee bit confused (which isn't hard) but is this your RTW started or not as you keep coming back to LHR for some reason?

Ah, I think I see now, are these the bits and bobs trips you have in the title?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Moomba?

I'm a wee bit confused (which isn't hard) but is this your RTW started or not as you keep coming back to LHR for some reason?

Ah, I think I see now, are these the bits and bobs trips you have in the title?
LOL.

In the future I will state whether the report is about one or more of the RTW flights or the ticket was from some other source.

To start LHR-FRA-JNB-MRU was a BMI award trip to get me to the starting point of the RTW.

The MRU-JNB-LHR-AUH-LHR were the first segments of the RTW. The AUH-MCT-AUH was a paid for ticket. (and you should know why )

I think somewhere in all the guff above I mentioned that the RTW is split into 7 parts. (I only just booked the last 5 sectors last week for Jan 2009. )

In order to do this I have had to buy a few flights (thanks to AA eVIPs) and redeem a few flights to get me back to LHR in order to do some work.

The bits and bobs I am referring to in the title are other side trips I have planned for the year including things such as Eurostar in F to get to the Champagne DO in Reims. Also a weekend here and a weekend there in Moomba fashion. (read pointy end travel)
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:05 pm

Thanks again for the great write-up.

Did you spend any time in MCT at all? Everyone in the Middle East forum seems to think it's noice and I'd just organised flights there. I am booked on the very same one stop flights to MCT and back for my next DONE4 which I'd just organised last night. 'Slumming' it in club unlike you though.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QF009
Thanks again for the great write-up.

Did you spend any time in MCT at all? Everyone in the Middle East forum seems to think it's noice and I'd just organised flights there. I am booked on the very same one stop flights to MCT and back for my next DONE4 which I'd just organised last night. 'Slumming' it in club unlike you though.
Unfortunately all I saw of Muscat was the view (in the dark) from the bus on the way from and to the aircraft and the inside of the terminal building.

I too have heard great things about Muscat and will no doubt head out that way again sometime in the not too distant future.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:17 am

Thanks for the claification Moomba I understand now I think

I shall go with the flow and enjoy it anyway.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.