Wiki Posts
Search

Glassware Leaving US West Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Glassware Leaving US West Flights?

I don't like to post rumors, but I ran across this: http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=40099

tonight on USAviation and was hoping that someone would be able to confirm/deny it. It is an e-mail that is reportedly from Sherri Shamblin Vice President, InFlight Services.

Basically, although they "upgrading the food" they are eliminating glassware on all US West flights as of April 1.

A couple of choice quotes from this post:

One area where our First Class customers didn't feel we should focus too much of our attention, was glassware. As long as the quality and quantity of the beverages we offered were both high, then the use of glassware wasn't as important.
To eliminate confusion and inconsistencies, beginning April 1, we will no longer offer glassware in any First Class cabin and serve beverages in plastic cups. We continue to look at upgrading the quality of the plastic used when serving beverages in First Class.
Emphasis mine
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:18 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Is First Class plastic an oxymoron?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles/NW World Perks
If I have to choose between the flatware or glassware, I can handle the plastic cups; those plastic forks, knives were an embarrassment

I think its just a matter of time for all of this to go away; as the fares become less expensive, loyalty programs will be directed only to the highest tier dollar-wise...gotta love capitalism.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Here's a suggestion that doesn't slam them. I HATED the freaking plastic glasses for drinking wine because the lip is curled and the wine wicks into the empty space under the curl, then proceeds to drop on your clothing.

It doesn't cost one cent more to get glasses without the GD'd empty lip!

I don't fly these clowns anymore, but this is one suggestion that you can take to the bank. If US doesn't get better plastic glasses, pour a little red wine on the seats as you get out. Perhaps the extra cleaning bill will get their attention.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Gosh-you are brave for drinking the US wine selections----it is synonymous with eating sandpaper........ill stick to my finlandia and mr and mrs t's
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by USFreak
Gosh-you are brave for drinking the US wine selections----it is synonymous with eating sandpaper........ill stick to my finlandia and mr and mrs t's
Mr and Mrs T's have the same prob unless you wear burgundy every flight!
And the beer marks on my white shirts had my wife wondering if I had turned rabid and was drooling due to the TSA experiences.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
This was a real letter to the crews. A friend of mine whose wife is an FA checked her crew mail and it was there. She was even shocked.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
This is such a laughable airline. Funny to see those who were US backers are now going away. I can say I was at the front of the pack leading the way out the door. And that door seems to be a ONE WAY DOOR!

Ya'll enjoy your cheap plastic glasses. Im enjoying **gasp** meals on flights under 9 hours (US threshold) on CO!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: US, AA
Upgrading quality of plastic??? If you trust what "upgrades" mean with the new US management, that can probably be interpreted as "cheaper cups".
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jagadheep
Upgrading quality of plastic??? If you trust what "upgrades" mean with the new US management, that can probably be interpreted as "cheaper cups".
I think this is what we're likely to get:

http://www.discountcoffee.com/images...cups_case_.jpg

Just remember, only refill it once and drink it quick, or you'll find wine/beer/coke dribbling all over you.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by vysean
I think this is what we're likely to get:

http://www.discountcoffee.com/images...cups_case_.jpg

Just remember, only refill it once and drink it quick, or you'll find wine/beer/coke dribbling all over you.
These are a lot more cute, and color-coded: red for red wine, green for white!

http://www.vicks.com/nyquil-cold-flu.php
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Gee, they might need to shorten the plastic cups by an inch or two to offset the higher cost of the better-quality plastic!!!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SS255
Gee, they might need to shorten the plastic cups by an inch or two to offset the higher cost of the better-quality plastic!!!
Don't give them any more ideas The only good thing to come out of this, and in the way they are doing it, it isn't that good of a thing, is they will finally have consistent service between east and west birds.

Why did it take them 2+ years for them to make this decision and to get the same service standards between the east & west?

They invested in enough glassware to reoutfit the west birds with the US logo and thought it was worth the expense then. If it was too expensive to put glassware on the east, why didn't they just move the west birds to the plastic cups when they had to replace the HP logoed stuff?

With this latest change, why would anyone want to buy F on US?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Maybe they'll go to plastic cups with advertising on them!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
wr_schwab,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was able to get my curiosity of the F product on US answered immediately in your post. Having not flown US in a while as I am usually paying full fare F/A fares, I could not find a reason to repeat the disappointing F experience from the past. Now, it would seem the domestic F soft product resembles a trip to 7-11 or a plastic leftovers from a prison picnic.

Thank you again as you saved me from wasting $1K+ on LAXTPALAX routing on US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.