Wiki Posts
Search

BA Club World, JFK - LHR, 2nd Jan 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA EC Blue
BA Club World, JFK - LHR, 2nd Jan 2008

I returned from a short trip to New York on 2nd January. Have flown with BA before and decided to again because of the good service and reasonable prices. BA offer direct flights from the UK to US. Decided to fly Club World this time and the fares were at a reduced price.

Wednesday 2nd January 2008
John F Kennedy (JFK) - London Heathrow (LHR)
Airline: British Airways
Flight Number: BA172
Departure Time: 07:45
Arrival Time: 19:40
Aircraft: Boeing 777

Arrived early at JFK and in plenty of time. There was a separate check in area for First and Club passengers. As I had checked in 24 hours before, dropped off luggage in the bag drop area. I then went through security had a look in the shops in the terminal. Bought some duty free and made my way to the Terraces lounge.

The lounge was quite empty but as time went on more passengers arrived. There was plenty of areas to explore but first sat down and helped myself to some breakfast. There was a buffet offering continental breakfast and a bar offering drinks. I helped myself to a coffee, juice, soda and croissants.

There was also an area offering free internet access. As there was plenty of time before boarding I logged onto a computer and browsed the net. There was also an area to use a laptop.

Also available in the lounge was a TV room with comfy armchairs. I sat down and watched some TV before my flight. There was loads of channels available, a lot of them were pay per view so I just watched the news. Soon boarding had started so I made my way to the gate and boarded the flight to London.

Link to lounge photos
http://public.fotki.com/hann18/terraces-lounge/

Today's aircraft was a Boeing 777 and I made my way to my seat 11E. Seating In Club World is arranged front, back, back and front allowing plenty of room to strech out. Pre flight drinks of either water, champagne or orange juice were offered. I decided on champagne. Soon menu's were handed out and glasses were collected ready for take off. After everyone had boarded, the aircraft took off and the journey had began.

Menu

Brunch

Starters

Chilled orange juice
An energising fruit smoothie
Fresh fruit appetiser
Salmon gravlax with onion confit

Bakery
A selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries

Main
English breakfast of scrambled egg, bacon, sausage, sauteed mushrooms and grilled tomato

Mixed grill featuring grilled steak, sausage, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, roast tomato and rosti potatoes

Porcini mushroom agnolotti pasta topped with grated parmesan cheese

Chilled breakfast meats

Drinks

Complimentary bar serving alcoholic beverages and soft drinks is available throughout the flight

Ground coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas - green tea with jasmine, peppermint, blackcurrant or camomile and honey

Club Kitchen
Between meals, please help yourself to a drink or a tasty snack. Please visit the Club Kitchen and help yourself to the selection on display

Snack salads, sandwiches, filled rolls and wraps

Fresh fruit salads and fruit smoothies or juice

Choice of luxury cakes

Crisps and chocolates
(including organic chocolate)

Wine List

White

St Supery Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Rully Clos Des Mollepiere 2005, Roux Pere Et Fils

Red

Pietra Santa Merlot 2001, Cienega Valley

Chateau Fourcas Hosten 2003, Cru Bourgeois Superieur Listrac

Berberana Carta De Oro Gran Reserva Rioja 2000

Champagne

Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve Champagne

Champagne Cocktails

Kir Royale

Bucks Fizz

After take off, the cabin crew came around handing out hot towels, washbags which contained socks, ear plugs, eye mask, tootpaste and brush and Elemis products. The crew also took the meal orders. I ordered the pasta. The appetiser was the fruit, which was nice. Wasn't fussed on the salmon though. Also offered with different breads and pastries. I helped myself to a croissant which was nice and warm. After, the main courses were brought out and the pasta was nice.

After everything was cleared away I adjusted the seat to more of a recline and started to watch the inflight entertainment. The entertainment system wasn't working properly at the start of the flight so I tuned in to the audio and used my Nintendo DS that I had brought along with me. In Club World, the Club Kitchen is avaialble. If you get hungry between meals you can go and help yourself to snacks. After an hour or two there was a bit of moderate turbulance but it didn't last long, so I adjusted the seat to fully flat and had a small sleep.

The Club World seat allows for a good sleep, no matter how long or short it is. When I woke the inflight entertainment was working properly so I watched High School Musical 2. Not long after, the cabin crew came around with refreshments. Below is the menu for the refreshments.

Refreshments

Snacks

Poached salmon with sour cream and chive potato salad

Grilled vegetable salad with roast beet root, yellow tomatoes and mozzarella cheese

Sweets

Caramel apple tart

Drinks

Ground coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas - green tea with jasmine, peppermint, blackcurrant or camomile and honey

I chose the salmon which was quite good. The apple tart was tasty. After I finished watching the movie I decided to freshen up with the washbag that was given earlier. Then I sat down and got ready for landing at London. The landing was a good one.

Pictures of the flight
http://public.fotki.com/hann18/the-flight/

Altogether the flight was very good. The service was excellent and I would definately recommend BA to anyone.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
excellent reports, thanks for sharing!

nice pictures too.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL - GM, MM; AS - MVP Gold
thanks

Great report - thanks. I couldn't tell if you were on a new Club World plane or the older one..........

I am going CW from LAX to LHR next Monday and am curious about what to expect. Your report helped a lot. Steven
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report, and welcome to FT, hann18!^ You're off to a great start!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a chance to read this earlier this afternoon. Excellent report! ^
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by brudoburns
Great report - thanks. I couldn't tell if you were on a new Club World plane or the older one..........

I am going CW from LAX to LHR next Monday and am curious about what to expect. Your report helped a lot. Steven

As the 'plane was a 777, it was the old CW, as they have not yet started, as far as I know, to re-fit the 777 fleet.

As you will almost certainly be on a 747, you will experience NGCW as all the 747s have been re-fitted.

Use OLCI to grab a good seat.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Fantastic report. Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:48 am

Programs: QF WP + PG
Fantastic Trip Report hann18. Oh, and Welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.