Wiki Posts
Search

KE C Class TR ICN-TPE

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
KE C Class TR ICN-TPE

Pre-Trip Background: I have been in Korea for the past 6 months on a University Exchange Program to Yonsei University. The end has finally arrived I booked this back in October. I was looking around for the cheapest options from ICN-MSP, and the following TR's is the cheapest routings that I came up with and were in C, but still many hundreds of $ cheaper than the cheapest econ. ticket to MSP from ICN that I could find.

Trip-Stats:

Purchased on 27-October-2007
Price Paid: $311.44 + 10,000 KE Skypass Miles to upgrade.

Flight Information:
Korean Air flight 691
Departs Seoul/Incheon at 10:05 am
Arrives Taipei/Taoyuan at 11:55 am

Type Aircraft: Airbus A300-600R
Reg.: Hl7297
Seat: 8A
Class: Prestige Class

Further Information: After Purchasing the Economy Class Ticket, about two weeks later, I stopped by the Korea City Air Terminal near the WTC in Seoul to have the flight upgraded. It was processed quickly.

Preflight
I woke up at 5:45 am. I was then picked up by a friend at 7:05 am and then we headed towards Incheon. We arrived at Incheon at about 8:00am. I then went through Check-In at 8:15am. After saying my goodbyes and see them in Minnesota in a week or two (she's coming to Minnesota to study for awhile ) , I then went through the Security and Immigrations line.

Incheon's KAL Prestige Class Lounge: After clearing Departure Immigration, I made a beeline for the KAL Prestige Lounge, where at the door, I was greeted kindly by a agent in English and Korean. Then I showed my boarding card and then went to find a seat. Eventhough it was only 8:39 by then, it was very full. I think this was due to a few flights bound for Europe in the morning and a few early banks to North America. There were a ton of French, Germans, and Swiss people in the lounge.

+ Points:
Very Spacious
Very Large
Wide selection of drinks (anything that one could think of)
Many breakfast items
Lounge Catering is done by Hyatt Hotels
All parts of the lounge were nicely decorated

Boarding:

According the the Monitor and my boarding pass, the gate for departure was Gate 43 and boarding began at 9:35. I left the lounge at about 9:25. I reached the gate by about 9:30. As soon as I got the gate, I went straight to the line for Prestige Class and there wasnt a line. I showed my boarding card and was immediatly taken and then they handed me the stub back and then I walked down the jetway and proceded to board. I was greeted at the door, where my coat was taken immediately and was greeted in Korean and English. I was then helped to my seat. The Flight Attendent put one of my two carry-ons in the overhead compartment for me. I then sat down in 8A, where 8B, my seat mate was from Taiwan. He was a Taiwanese Businessman. Upon sitting down, I was then offered a choice of juice for a pre-departure drink. I chose guava. When she came back, she brought two packets of Peanuts with the juice. I drank it down really quick, and then my glass was refilled. By then, it was close to the scheduled departure time. Finally we reached our departure time. We still hadn't pushed back. Finally, 10 minutes later, they informed us that we were delayed for an undefinate time. About 35 minutes later the pilot came on and informed us that we'd be pushing back in about 10 minutes and sorry for the inconvience. Then a FA came by and sat down in the seat next to me, since the guy next to me moved to the other side where there was an open row, so he could get a window seat. This FA then took the menu and opened it up to the English section and asked me which meal choice I wanted. Finally, the doors were closed and then we began to pushback. The safety demonstration began. It was a manual demonstration. After it was finished, more waiting ensued as we sat there about 5 more minutes. I was offered some water. We finally began to taxi. The taxi was a long and slow roll to rwy 15R, due to heavy congestion. We were behind a VN A330 bound for Hanoi and Ho Chi Mhin City, and a Garuda Indonesia A330 bound for Jakarta/Sokarno Hatta.

Inflight Service and Flight:
After almost a 50 minute delay of departure, we finally took off. btw awesome sounds the A300 has, if you want to hear, i have a good video clip that I could give to you. I had a headache at this time, so I requested some Tylenol. I was given two. After takeoff, the FA's immediataly went about preparing to serve us C Class Passengers. They served Drinks and Peanuts. Shortly thereafter, I was brought the Meal that I ordered and a Chateau de Beauregard-Ducourt White Wine, Year 2005. After the Meal, I was give Fruit for dessert. After the meal, everything was promptly cleared away, then Duty-Free commenced. I bought two sets if that famous Korean Gojujan Hot Pepper Paste for $7 each (7,000 Won.)

Menu:

Wine List
White Wines-Selected French white wines

Red Wines-Selected French red wines

Cocktails/Aperitifs:
Kir/Campari
Tio Pepe Dry Sherry/Dry Vermouth
Martini/Tom Collins/Wisky Sour
Bloody Merry/Screwdriver/Gin&Tonic
Jonnie Walker Gold
Glenfiddich 15 Years Malt Whisky
Jack Daniel's/Level Vodka
Beefeater Gin/Bacardi Rum

Brandy/Liqueurs:
Cointreau/Creme de Menthe
Creme de Cassis/Bailey's Irish Cream
Remy Martin Cognac X.O.

Selected Beers of the World

Light Meal

Salad
Seasonal garden greens and baby cuttlefish served with mustard dressing (offered with chinese main course)

Main Course
Korean Bibimbap offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and korean hot pepper paste.

or

Steamed cod fish in ginger sauce chinese style served with egg fried rice and mixed vegetables.

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection
Rye Roll or Steamed Roll

Coffee/Tea/Green Tea

The meal was great!

After a while, we started to descend slowly towards Taoyuan Airport. It suddenly started to become very bumpy as we descended. Upon landing, it was a very short taxi to the terminal. As soon as we reached the gate, I got up. A flight attendant brought me my jacket. I then got my carryon pieces and then exited the aircraft. I then followed the signs to the Customs and Immigration. I noticed that the terminal seemed rather "dated" as I walked to the Customs Desks. There were huge lines. I went to slightly shorter line. All the people ahead of me took forever getting through, but when it came my turn, All he did was look at my Landing Card, then stamped it and then my passport and stapled it into my passport and then handed my passport back to me without asking any questions and said enjoy your stay. I was then picked up by the driver that I hired to drive me.

Scheduled Arrival: 11:55 am
Actual Arrival: 12:38 pm

Here are photo albums of the flight down and in Taipei, sorry that I didnt take any pictures in the lounge in ICN, but i will have a wealth of pics in the report for TPE-ICN-LAX. I'll have pictures for the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge (KE's Contract Lounge in TPE) in TPE and in ICN. I hope you like this folks!

http://stcloudstate.facebook.com/alb...8b&id=56014534

http://stcloudstate.facebook.com/alb...13&id=56014534

http://stcloudstate.facebook.com/alb...0f&id=56014534

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Feb 4, 2008 at 9:56 am Reason: forgot to add the photo blog links
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:11 am
Original Poster

I thought i'd bump this

Please be on the lookout for the TR for C Class from TPE-ICN-LAX.. I finally just moved back to College in Minnesota, plus also my Grandma passed away on the 10th, so things have been a bit busy. I'm just going to take the rest of the week to edit the notes in my notebook and then publish it to the community,,,,

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
Pre-Trip Background: I have been in Korea for the past 6 months on a University Exchange Program to Yonsei University. The end has finally arrived I booked this back in October. I was looking around for the cheapest options from ICN-MSP, and the following TR's is the cheapest routings that I came up with and were in C, but still many hundreds of $ cheaper than the cheapest econ. ticket to MSP from ICN that I could find.

Trip-Stats:

Purchased on 27-October-2007
Price Paid: $311.44 + 10,000 KE Skypass Miles to upgrade.

Flight Information:
Korean Air flight 691
Departs Seoul/Incheon at 10:05 am
Arrives Taipei/Taoyuan at 11:55 am

Type Aircraft: Airbus A300-600R
Seat: 8A
Class: Prestige Class

Further Information: After Purchasing the Economy Class Ticket, about two weeks later, I stopped by the Korea City Air Terminal near the WTC in Seoul to have the flight upgraded. It was processed quickly.

Preflight
I woke up at 5:45 am. I was then picked up by a friend at 7:05 am and then we headed towards Incheon. We arrived at Incheon at about 8:00am. I then went through Check-In at 8:15am. After saying my goodbyes and see them in Minnesota in a week or two (she's coming to Minnesota to study for awhile ) , I then went through the Security and Immigrations line.

Incheon's KAL Prestige Class Lounge: After clearing Departure Immigration, I made a beeline for the KAL Prestige Lounge, where at the door, I was greeted kindly by a agent in English and Korean. Then I showed my boarding card and then went to find a seat. Eventhough it was only 8:39 by then, it was very full. I think this was due to a few flights bound for Europe in the morning and a few early banks to North America. There were a ton of French, Germans, and Swiss people in the lounge.

+ Points:
Very Spacious
Very Large
Wide selection of drinks (anything that one could think of)
Many breakfast items
Lounge Catering is done by Hyatt Hotels
All parts of the lounge were nicely decorated

Boarding:

According the the Monitor and my boarding pass, the gate for departure was Gate 43 and boarding began at 9:35. I left the lounge at about 9:25. I reached the gate by about 9:30. As soon as I got the gate, I went straight to the line for Prestige Class and there wasnt a line. I showed my boarding card and was immediatly taken and then they handed me the stub back and then I walked down the jetway and proceded to board. I was greeted at the door, where my coat was taken immediately and was greeted in Korean and English. I was then helped to my seat. The Flight Attendent put one of my two carry-ons in the overhead compartment for me. I then sat down in 8A, where 8B, my seat mate was from Taiwan. He was a Taiwanese Businessman. Upon sitting down, I was then offered a choice of juice for a pre-departure drink. I chose guava. When she came back, she brought two packets of Peanuts with the juice. I drank it down really quick, and then my glass was refilled. By then, it was close to the scheduled departure time. Finally we reached our departure time. We still hadn't pushed back. Finally, 10 minutes later, they informed us that we were delayed for an undefinate time. About 35 minutes later the pilot came on and informed us that we'd be pushing back in about 10 minutes and sorry for the inconvience. Then a FA came by and sat down in the seat next to me, since the guy next to me moved to the other side where there was an open row, so he could get a window seat. This FA then took the menu and opened it up to the English section and asked me which meal choice I wanted. Finally, the doors were closed and then we began to pushback. The safety demonstration began. It was a manual demonstration. After it was finished, more waiting ensued as we sat there about 5 more minutes. I was offered some water. We finally began to taxi. The taxi was a long and slow roll to rwy 15R, due to heavy congestion. We were behind a VN A330 bound for Hanoi and Ho Chi Mhin City, and a Garuda Indonesia A330 bound for Jakarta/Sokarno Hatta.

Inflight Service and Flight:
After almost a 50 minute delay of departure, we finally took off. btw awesome sounds the A300 has, if you want to hear, i have a good video clip that I could give to you. I had a headache at this time, so I requested some Tylenol. I was given two. After takeoff, the FA's immediataly went about preparing to serve us C Class Passengers. They served Drinks and Peanuts. Shortly thereafter, I was brought the Meal that I ordered and a Chateau de Beauregard-Ducourt White Wine, Year 2005. After the Meal, I was give Fruit for dessert. After the meal, everything was promptly cleared away, then Duty-Free commenced. I bought two sets if that famous Korean Gojujan Hot Pepper Paste for $7 each (7,000 Won.)

Menu:

Wine List
White Wines-Selected French white wines

Red Wines-Selected French red wines

Cocktails/Aperitifs:
Kir/Campari
Tio Pepe Dry Sherry/Dry Vermouth
Martini/Tom Collins/Wisky Sour
Bloody Merry/Screwdriver/Gin&Tonic
Jonnie Walker Gold
Glenfiddich 15 Years Malt Whisky
Jack Daniel's/Level Vodka
Beefeater Gin/Bacardi Rum

Brandy/Liqueurs:
Cointreau/Creme de Menthe
Creme de Cassis/Bailey's Irish Cream
Remy Martin Cognac X.O.

Selected Beers of the World

Light Meal

Salad
Seasonal garden greens and baby cuttlefish served with mustard dressing (offered with chinese main course)

Main Course
Korean Bibimbap offered with minced beef and seasonal vegetables, accompanied by sesame oil and korean hot pepper paste.

or

Steamed cod fish in ginger sauce chinese style served with egg fried rice and mixed vegetables.

Seasonal Fresh Fruit

Bread Selection
Rye Roll or Steamed Roll

Coffee/Tea/Green Tea

The meal was great!

After a while, we started to descend slowly towards Taoyuan Airport. It suddenly started to become very bumpy as we descended. Upon landing, it was a very short taxi to the terminal. As soon as we reached the gate, I got up. A flight attendant brought me my jacket. I then got my carryon pieces and then exited the aircraft. I then followed the signs to the Customs and Immigration. I noticed that the terminal seemed rather "dated" as I walked to the Customs Desks. There were huge lines. I went to slightly shorter line. All the people ahead of me took forever getting through, but when it came my turn, All he did was look at my Landing Card, then stamped it and then my passport and stapled it into my passport and then handed my passport back to me without asking any questions and said enjoy your stay.

Scheduled Arrival: 11:55 am
Actual Arrival: 12:38 pm

Here are photo albums of the flight down and in Taipei, sorry that I didnt take any pictures in the lounge in ICN, but i will have a wealth of pics in the report for TPE-ICN-LAX. I'll have pictures for the China Airlines Dynasty Lounge (KE's Contract Lounge in TPE) in TPE and in ICN. I hope you like this folks!

http://stcloudstate.facebook.com/alb...8b&id=56014534

http://stcloudstate.facebook.com/alb...13&id=56014534

http://stcloudstate.facebook.com/alb...0f&id=56014534

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Jan 15, 2008 at 1:14 am Reason: Switched the position of text around.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Sorry to hear about your loss, Bimmmerkid2...

Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR!

PS - since they serve Bibimbap on every flight (in all classes, apparently), did you find it the same on the various flights (intra-asia, trans-pac, etc), or is it catered better from one station versus another?

I.e, should I get it on my upcoming JFK-ICN flight (early PM flight), ICN-KUL, or ICN-ATL?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
What? No Lounge Pics? ;)

Also very sorry about your grandmother.

Would LOVE to see what a REAL airline lounge looks like on the inside. Maybe next time? Can't wait for your upcoming report!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
Welcome back to Stearns County.

Nice Trip Report. Do they ever fly an international C from ICN-TPE? The regional C looks quite nice, though.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

It really depends, I personally, felt that the Bibimbap served out of ICN and ORD (from dec. 2006 were good) out of TPE it was ok... from JFK it should probably be good as well... but I can't attest to that for you...

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Sorry to hear about your loss, Bimmmerkid2...

Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR!

PS - since they serve Bibimbap on every flight (in all classes, apparently), did you find it the same on the various flights (intra-asia, trans-pac, etc), or is it catered better from one station versus another?

I.e, should I get it on my upcoming JFK-ICN flight (early PM flight), ICN-KUL, or ICN-ATL?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for Sympathy

Thanks for both of your deepest sympathies towards the death of my grandmother. Now, on another note, I am currently working on publishing my TR for TPE-ICN-LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.