Search

Auckland - Singapore - Paris Singapore Airlines Business Class - Many Pix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Auckland - Singapore - Paris Singapore Airlines Business Class - Many Pix

Seasons Greeting

Welcome to my 4th trip report.

About 7 months ago my best friend's dad asked me if I would take his daughter to Paris for 2 weeks (all paid for) for her 21st birthday, and after much much thought decided that for once I would put someone else first and reluctantly agreed :-P

Originally she wasn't supposed to find out until the day we were going to go however she was planning to start University so we told her and she postponed starting till next year. Anyway this worked out better because we changed the holiday from 2 weeks in Paris to a trip around the world with 1 week in Paris, 2 nights in London, a 2 week transatlantic cruise and a week in Orlando at the Walt Disney World Resort.

So what to get my best friend?? We purchased our tickets online so obviously assumed we were going in economy, however about 2 months later I made a visit to the Singapore Airlines office here in Auckland to upgrade our tickets to business class. For the next 4 months I had to bite my tongue - very hard!! I couldn't wait till our departure so I could tell her. Prior to leaving my house, as her parents picked me up we watched a DVD I made for her with photos and videos of all the things we were about to visit over the next month and some photos her friends. At the end of the DVD was the Singapore Airlines new economy class video - just to make sure she knew we were in economy in case there was any possibility she knew. However after the economy part finished the new business class video began and I removed a blanket covering her present. This could quite possibly be the worlds biggest boarding pass.

So a stunned best friend and I headed out to the airport to begin our month and 4 day long adventure!!

Check In at Auckland Airport

Departure Board - Singapore and Paris here we come!!

A very empty airport made check in and security a breeze and we headed up the the Air New Zealand lounge where Singapore Airlines passengers relax before boarding.

Our aircraft to Singapore 777-200ER

A detailed boarding announcement was made and as Business Class passengers boarded immediately to get a much champagne down before take off!

Menus and Headsets were already placed in the seat pocket and the stewardesses came round with newspapers and magazines. The now old Spacebeds are very comfortable with plenty of pockets for your belongings.

Still in Auckland

Socks and eyeshades were then given out.

After take off a bar service was offered and we both ordered the first of many Singapore Slings

Supper Menu
Auckland >> Singapore

A Savoury Note
Garden salad with marinated scallops and avocado

A selection of breads was offered and opted for garlic bread

The Main Event
Seared beef fillet in mushroom-madeira sauce, roasted shallot, green bean, garlic confit and boiled potatoes created by Matthew Moran of Aria Restaurant Sydney

New Zealand style chicken stuffed with apricot and cheese in red wine sauce, grilled bacon, spinach mousse, carrots and fettuccine pasta.

The third choice was Braised cod with Oriental black peppercorn sauce, beancurd, asparagus, carrots and fried rice.

A Sweet Note
Fresh fruit savarin

The Cheese Board
Gourmet cheese with garnishes

A Connoisseur's Choice
Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea

The service was completed just about half way across the Tasman

Feeling very very bloated we both reclined our seats into sleeping mode and watched a few movies while drifting in and out of sleep. After about 3 hours I brought my seat back upright - big mistake as it was to remain that way for the rest of the flight as my seat broke. Unfortunately the bug seem to spread to my friends seat but she couldn't bring her seat up, however unlike my seat could be adjusted manually but choose to leave it down to avoid the risk of it not going back down. I was a little disappointed but no dramas - thats life and the U$200 duty free vouchers we got each made up for it.

A range of snacks were available throughout the flight but we never ate anything from it because we were so full.
About 2 hours out of Singapore, breakfast was offered.

Breakfast Menu
Auckland >> Singapore
A Fresh Start
A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

Fresh Fruit

A range of bakery was also on offer

A Heathy Note
Choice of cereals or yoghurt
Cornflakes with milk or Birchermuesli
Plain or fruit yoghurt

The Main Event
Cheese omelette with chicken sausage and sauteed mushroom

Also on offer was
Oriental style friend noodles with pork char siew and vegetables
Shiitake mushroom quiche with roasted tomato, asparagus and grilled venison sausage.

Tea and Coffee was offered throughout breakfast along with bakery items

Flight Map and Statistic

Touching down in Singapore very early in the morning we headed for the transit hotel to have a few hours sleep. We picked the day flight to Paris to make it easier to adjust to the huge time change as we planned to be awake the whole flight so once in Paris we could go straight to bed. After 4 hours sleep we went to the Silverkris Lounge to freshen up and change clothes as well as grab a drink and a few nibbles.

And finally the part I was looking forward too!! The new business class on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER

Well words cannot express how I felt when I walked onboard. The seats were MASSIVE. So much space. Having secured the bulkhead seats you certainly get a lot more room and highly recommend these seats if you can get them.

Departing Singapore was the same as Auckland except that menus were handed out rather than pre placed. We both had champagne before take off (don't have a photo for some reason) Socks and eye shades again handed out but the colours matched the new blankets.

After take off a bar service commenced and again we both had Singapore Slings.

And then finally the 2nd thing I had been waiting for - The Satay Sticks!!!! and boy were they good.

Lunch Menu
Singapore >> Paris
To Nibble On...
Satay
with onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

I found the new china very tidy and modern and I think what stood out the most was no trays - I really felt like I was in first class and when I've shown my friends these photos thats where they think I am sitting.

A Savoury Note
Sundried tomato-orzo salad with marinated scallops and greens
Balsamic herb dressing
Singapore dressing infused in shallot oil with sambal, lime and honey (I had this)

The lovely Singapore Airlines Stewardess setting my table up

Glass of Riesling

Asking which dressing I should have - as mentioned I choose the Singapore dressing

The Main Event
Panroasted Muscovy duck breast with natural jus and shredded duck confit-risotto created by Gordon Ramsay, London

Famous Singapore chicken rice
Fragrant poached chicken with pandan flavoured rice, served with ginger, soya and chilli sauce. A renowned favourite in Singapore

Also on offer was
Stir fried prawns with black bean sauce, seasonal vegetables and egg noodles
Tournedos of beef in roasted shallot jus, asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and mashed potatoes.

A Sweet Note
Viennetta ice cream with mango coulis

The Cheese Board
Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Fruit
A selection of fresh fruit

A Connoisseur's Choice
Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea
and pralines

As if that wasn't enough food, prior to leaving Auckland I had arranged for a cake to be delivered on this sector. A card signed by all the Business Class crew was also given. Dry Ice was used in lieu of candles - very creative! And they all sung happy birthday.

Flight map and Statistics

After a ton of food we flipped our seats into bed mode and enjoyed a selection of movies and TV programs from the new Krisworld with what felt like a million options. The trouble was choosing what to watch.

A selection of cabin photos for your enjoyment

We were feeling a little peckish so we had some more Singapore Slings and warm nuts

A wide range of other snacks were available including sandwiches, noodles, chocolate etc

As we got closer to Paris the crew began a light dinner service

Light Meal
Singapore >> Paris
A Savoury Note
Duck foie gras with apple and mesclun

The Main Event
Lamb shank braised in red wine with peperonata and gratin potatoes

Also on offer was
Ah Yat style braised garoupa with black bean and eggplant served with steamed rice created by Yeung Koon Yat of Forum Restaurant, Hong Kong
Fricassee of chicken with shimeiji mushroom and fettucine

A Sweet Note
Dark chocolate creme brulee with mixed berries

A Connoisseur's Choice
Gourmet coffee
Selection of tea

12 hours and 45 minutes later we touched down in Paris. This was probably the best in flight experience I have ever had. The service was warm and friendly whilst remaining professional. Certainly not robotic as some of you have experienced. The catering was outstanding and all the food was well prepared and most importantly very tasty. Both the spacebed (despite breaking) and the new seats are very comfortable with ample space (if not a little too much!) Krisworld as usually blows the others away with more than enough to watch and the system was stable on both sectors.

Thanks for reading - there are some photos from my holiday below

Last edited by eoinnz; Dec 9, 2007 at 5:18 pm
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:20 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
^Very nice.Waiting for more.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Wonderful report and some great photos! Thanks for taking the time to post this eoinnz. ^ ^
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Very nice trip report indeed. ^^
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Great pictures.

I cannot figure out how you were having dinner at Wilderness Lodge outside?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:10 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report eoinnz ^
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA
Super trip report eoinnz!!!!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:17 pm

great trip! I wish my friends had parents like that
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
What a wonderful trip report. ^

I was so impressed with the details, etc... I was so engrossed that I was felt kind bummed that I couldn't read the conclusion of the trip back home. Are there links, are you working on it?

I would love to read the return trip.

Thanks again!

Now I know which airline I'll be flying next year for my RTW trip.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:37 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Your trip report brought back some very fond immediate memories.

A colleague and I as part of a RTW that included flying NZ and UA long haul flew SQ FCO - SIN, and SIN - MEL two weeks ago, with the FCO - SIN leg being the old J class, and SIN - MEL the new J class.

I have to say that the service on both legs was absolutely faultless, and that the new J class is absolutely outstanding. It compared more than favourably with NZ J class.

SQ are a class apart from any other airline IMHO.

OT, but we had an incredible experience at Munich airport, where we had a very tight 45 minute connection time , and the flight from Central London Airport was 20 minutes late leaving. We were met at Munich airport by a dedicated bus, taken to a special passport control on the tarmac to have our passports stamped, and then taken back to the next flight to see our checked in bags waiting to be loaded on to our departing plane. The whole exercise took 10 minutes. The guy driving the bus and shepherding us through the system was great, and told us it was part of the Munich airport service.

Well done LH and Munich airport, I can't see that happening in the US or Australia and New Zealand.

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Dec 10, 2007 at 4:44 pm
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Agree about impressive MUC service. While it is nice can do 20 minute domestic connections at eg WLG or CHC, it is amazing to be able to do 20 minute international connections at a much busier airport.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is one heck of a report! ^ Love all the photos and descriptions.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Amazing report! Thanks for sharing with us^
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
This was a great report! Well done, and great pics! ^ ^
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:43 am

Impressive! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.