Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Nairobi-Dubai-Perth return Emirates First Class

NAIROBI – DUBAI EMIRATES F CLASS
WEDNESDAY 14 NOVEMBER 2007
EK 720 A330-200
SEAT 1A/1B
17:15 – 23:15

Check in

I had tried to use the new online check in system, but due to power fluctuations, I did not reach the page to print the boarding cards, so was not sure if it had worked. When we arrived at the First Class Check in desk, the lady informed me that we had been checked in, and preceded to print the boarding cards, and check our luggage through to Perth.^

As we were not sure of the traffic situation in Nairobi, we ended up arriving at 3:00 pm for a 5:15 pm flight, so had to spend several hours in the crappy shared First Class lounge.

Boarding was called at 4:50 pm, and was efficient.

On Board

Only one door L2 was being used, and we were greeted by name, and personally shown to our seats (a first on EK). Champagne was offered (which was gladly welcomed after the lounge), newspapers offered, slippers and eyeshades, as well as menus and wine lists.

Of the 12 seats, 7 were occupied, and then 5 passengers were up-graded to make F class full. This is when all went down hill. After take off, when the fasten seat belt sign was switched off, we tried to use the in-seat video. The tape got stuck in my seat – 1B, so we tried to use the video player in 1A. The screens were not working properly, and we asked the Flight Purser if she could re-set the system. She re-set our seats 3 times, and when we asked her to re-set the system she said that she could not as it would affect all the other passengers. I then went to the galley and explained to her that we were full paying F passengers, and it was not fair that the up-graded passengers who had not paid were enjoying the services of F class, yet we were not. She said there was nothing she could do, when the Captain came from the cockpit. He overheard the conversation, and told me he would look into what he could do. I sat down, and a few minutes later, the FP asked 2 up-graded passengers (who were not watching video, but working on their lap tops) if they minded moving. She was very apologetic to them, and they agreed. We thanked them, and switched to 1E/1F. Yeah – the video worked.

EK was offering an A La Carte Dining Service, and the Menu is below:

Canapé’s

Selection of canapés which includes feuilette of chicken and mushroom, warm cheese samosas and prawns brochette.

Appetiser

Smoked and poached tranche of salmon with capers lightly poached fresh salmon tranche with smoked salmon served wit lemon, capers and dill, served with crème fraiche lemon dressing

Tomatoes puttanesca plum tomatoes lightly roasted, served with cream cheese, garlic chilli capers, black and green olives and orange segments.

Main Course

Roast fillet of beef prime roast fillet served with a rich beef and balsamic sauce, mild mustard mashed potato and seasonal fresh vegetables

Braised duckling breast with apples and citrus slowly cooked apples, oranges and lemon, served with a medley of fresh vegetables which include sugar snap peas, turned carrots and roesti potato cake

Fresh local fish fillets with sauce vierge fresh local Tilapia fish fillets with a virgin olive oil and tomato sauce vierge, fresh asparagus, turned carrots and buttered pilaf rice

Spinach and ricotta pasta fresh spinach and ricotta cheese pasta with a Parmesan cream sauce, sage butter and roast vegetables.

As an alternative accompaniment to your main course, an additional variety of vegetables are available which includes sugar snap peas, pilaf rice, ratatouille, and mustard mash potatoes.

Bread basket a variety of freshly baked rolls and garlic bread

Light Bites

Seasonal salad served with herb croutons, shaved Parmesan and a choice of dressing.

International cheese selection

Sweet Delights

Warm lemon meringue sponge pudding a lovely light pudding of fresh lemon and genoise sponge topped with meringue, served with lemon custard sauce

Chocolate gateau opera classic French chocolate cake with rich dark chocolate sauce

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolates to accompany a freshly brewed cup of tea or coffee

Hot Beverages

Tea Ceylon, China, Earl Grey, Camomile

Coffee freshly brewed, decaffeinated, espresso and cappuccino

* last hot meal orders shall be taken 1hr and 30mins before landing*

Wine List

Champagne

Dom Perignon 1999

White Wine

Vougeot Premier Cru Le Clos Blanc de Vougeot, Domaine de la Vougeraie 2004
Sancerre Blanc Les Caillottes, Domaine Jolivet 2005
Rijk’s Private Cellars Semillon 2004

Red Wine

Chateau Gruaud-Larose Grand Cru Classe, St. Julien 1996
Gevrey-Chamertin Premier Cru, Nicolas Potel 2004

Dessert Wine

Chateau Guiraud, Premier Cru Sauternes 1997

Port

Warre’s 1994

I ordered the canapés, Salmon, salad and Duckling. Service was extremely poor. Drinks were served across the two seats in the middle, the crew tried to clear plates away before we had finished eating (on 4 occasions), wine was not topped up (we had to keep pressing the bell), and they would clear cutlery, but not bring fresh cutlery when the next course was served. It was a very disappointing flight. The food was good.

The footrest in 1F was not working. When I mentioned this to one of the stewards, he said that the A330-200 was an old aircraft, and EK was waiting to convert them into freighter aircraft as soon as new passenger planes were available.

Arrival

We arrived on time in DXB, and were parked at a remote stand. As usual EK waited for the bus to fill up before we left for the terminal building. Why can they not bus F passengers first, then J, and then Y. We pay for priority.

We then proceeded to the F lounge to wait for our next flight to Perth. What a nice lounge it is. Good food selection, excellent beverage choice, and comfortable seats.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Dubai-perth

DUBAI – PERTH EMIRATES F CLASS
THURSDAY 15 NOVEMBER 2007
EK 420 777-300ER
SEAT 1A/1B
02:35 – 18:120

Boarding

The flight was called in the lounge at 2:00 am, so started our amble to the gate (40 something). Boy was it a long walk to the end of the terminal a left, then another left, then down ramps, and finally to a gate. We had to wait for ages to get a bus to the aircraft (last bus).

We were greeted at the door by name, and again personally shown to our seats (the sky-cruiser). The cabin had 8 passengers including us. Once we settled into our seats, we were served champagne, and then the sleeper suits (the new brown ones, very soft, very comfortable), new amenity bags with Bulgari products, and earplugs were handed out. There were no slippers, or eyeshades available, so we were given the Y class socks and eyeshades.

Push back was at 2:50 am, as they had to off load some luggage for no-show passengers.

As soon as the fasten seat belt sign was switched off, service commenced. I had some more champagne, and the menus were handed out.

EK was offering an A La Carte Dining Service, and the Menu is below:

Continental Breakfast

Bread basket a variety of freshly baked breads, croissants and breakfast pastries, served with butter and preserves

Cheese selection which includes Camembert, Port Salut, cheddar, Boursin pepper with olives and a selection of garnishes.

Appetiser

Selection of mezze which includes baba ghanouj, tabouleh, loubieh bil zeit, hommous, kibbeh al rahib, kalamata and green olives, garnished with lemon and tomato wedge

Atlantic lobster poached lobster tail served with mango panna cotta, accompanied with a tangy orange reduction

Main Course

Cheese omelette with pan fried potatoes, roasted plum tomatoes with chives, Portobello crisp mushrooms, and sautéed peppers.

Fillet of beef grilled fillet, served with a classic sauce béarnaise, accompanied with green asparagus spears, Gorgonzola polenta and roasted cherry tomatoes.

Gulf seafood bouillabaisse sea bass, hammour and Gulf prawns, served in bouillabaisse fond, accompanied with new potatoes, sautéed fennel and yellow squash

Veal loin grilled veal loin, served with a rich tomato salsa, accompanied with pan-fried polenta cakes, green beans with yellow peppers

Coriander duck breast pan-seared coriander duck breast, served with a duck jus, accompanied with pak choy, enoki tempura and fired rice

Asian salmon and lobster laksa consisting of roasted fillet of salmon, grilled lobster, laksa sauce, rice noodles and Asian mixed vegetables with shitake mushrooms

Spinach and paneer strudel baked spinach, paneer and mushroom strudel, accompanied with curried lentil and potato ragout, served with cherry tomato concasse

As an alternative accompaniment to your main course, an additional variety of vegetables are available which includes medley of roasted and sautéed vegetables, saffron rice, and roasted new potatoes.

Bread basket a variety of freshly baked rolls and garlic bread

Light Bites

Seasonal salad served with herb croutons, shaved Parmesan and a choice of dressing.

Selection of sandwiches which includes chicken tikka bake, spicy chili beef quesadilla, Mediterranean baked vegetables sandwich

Seasonal greens with grilled chicken fresh seasonal salad greens, topped with grilled Cajun chicken, tandori prawns, served with a creamy Caesar dressing

Lobster and garden vegetable ragout topped with a pastry cover, served with assorted vegetables

Hot open face steak sandwich grilled short rib steak, served on farmhouse bread, topped with a cheese sauce, accompanied with sautéed mushrooms and grilled sweet corn

Sweet Delights

Cassata cheese cake offered with sour cherry compote, garnished with fresh basil sprig

Banana and pandan meringue tart offered with fresh custard and red currants

Apple tart classic apple tart served warm, accompanied with vanilla sauce and Granny Smith ice cream

Selection of petit fours

Fresh seasonal fruit

Chocolates to accompany a freshly brewed cup of tea or coffee

Hot Beverages

Tea Ceylon, China, Earl Grey, Camomile

Coffee freshly brewed, decaffeinated, espresso and cappuccino

* last hot meal orders shall be taken 1hr and 30mins before landing*

Wine List

Champagne

Dom Perignon 1999

White Wine

Chateau La Louviere Pessac-Leognan 2003
Delta Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc 2006

Red Wine

Chateau Figeac St. Emilion ler Grand Cru Classe 2001
Yabby Lake Vineyard Pinot Noir 2005
Michel Chapoutier Ermitage ‘Les Climats’ 2002

Dessert Wine

Chateau Guiraud, Premier Cru Sauternes 1997

Port

Dow’s Vintage 1985

As it was a late flight, I had the steak sandwich, which was tasty, and moist, washed down with a few glasses of the Pinot Noir, and then the Banana tart. About 1 hour into the movie I was falling a sleep, so put on the sleep suit, flattened the seat, grabbed a duvet (no more scratchy blankets), and slept for around 6 hours.

I woke up 2 ½ hours before landing, and with a sweet “good morning” from the stewardess had a breakfast of the Cheese omelette, breadbasket, juice and coffee.

Service was outstanding on the flight, the seats comfortable, and food was superb (with such a huge choice). My only comment would be that there are not enough Australian wines to choose from.

Arrival

We landed at 6:00 pm, at the gate by 6:10 pm, cleared immigration by 6:20 pm, had our bags by 6:25 pm, spent 15 minutes at customs being questioned on who we were, why we came to Australia, what business do we run, etc. A typical warm welcome to Australia.

EK had booked 2 chauffer cars for us which was great, as we had 2 large bags, and hand luggage. By 7:00 pm, we were at the Burswood Hotel.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Perth-dubai

Reserved for report on Perth Dubai
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Dubai Nairobi

Reserved for report on Dubai - Nairobi
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:19 pm

hanks for an interesting trip report. Sounds like everything went pretty smoothly.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Good report on EK, sounds like the first flight was ok, eventually
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:25 am

that was nice!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
A nice trip report. Are you planning to include any details of your stay at Perth's Burswood Hotel? I've seen it from the outside and been curious how it would be as a place to stay.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Holiday Inn, Burswood

Originally Posted by greggwiggins
A nice trip report. Are you planning to include any details of your stay at Perth's Burswood Hotel? I've seen it from the outside and been curious how it would be as a place to stay.
I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Burswood a few times. Internationaly I would rate it at 3 star. The rooms are clean, fairly modern, with a small bathroom (bath/shower, vanity, single basin and toilet). There is a decent size workstation with good internet connection (A$29 24 hrs), TV with pay movies, mini-bar, good storage space and iron/ironing board. Views from all the rooms I have seen are crap.

Service is very mediocre. Front desk is cold and impolite, concierge service slow or non-exsistent, the bar closes when they want to with limited table service. Breakfast is very average. Weekends sees a lot of local people coming to 'party' at Burswood. Also to go anywhere, you need a taxi, or a long walk to town, so you are limited to facilities within the complex only.

The hotel has no class, or style, but at A$155 per night bed only not bad for Perth.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:50 am

Programs: GA Gold, BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold
Nice trip report. ^ Can't wait for the next part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.