Search

A Walk on the Star Side – LON-LAS NZ J/US F/US Y/UA F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
A Walk on the Star Side – LON-LAS NZ J/US F/US Y/UA F

As early as the start of 2007 myself and a few other FT friends were mooting the idea of a trip to LAS for, err, no reason other than to drink and eat and gamble a bit it seemed! I wasn’t convinced this was a good idea…but then I wasn’t convinced it was a bad idea either So by late June I found myself fresh off the phone to the bmi Diamond Club (almost) holding two one-way paper tickets (yes, a real blast from the past!) for:

01/09/2007 NZ1 LHR-LAX Business Premier
02/09/2007 US109 LAX-LAS First
which cost 18,750 miles and £217.00 in taxes/extras

and

05/09/2007 US110 LAS-LAX First
05/09/2007 UA934 LAX-LHR First
which came to 25,000 miles and £183.10 in taxes/extras

The plan was to all meet up at the Crowne Plaza LAX for the first night rather than connect (bloody good job as it turned out) then some people would drive and others would fly to LAS the next day. Thanks to a decent rate (especially over Labor Day weekend) from the AmEx Fine Hotels & Resorts program, I decided I’d be staying at the Bellagio and so did most of the rest of the group.

I was looking forward to the trip in itself, but also taking a walk on the ‘Star’ side of life. Having a bit of a hissy fit with BA’s constant cost cutting and threat of strikes and chaos late last year/early this year, I’d begun to hedge my bets a bit: this previously staunch ‘BA all the way’ loyalist had now begun to amass a pot of bmi miles too. Although I am in a far better mood these days towards my favourite carrier than I was last year (they have been adding many genuine improvements rather than simply cutting things away ^), I am glad I now have an alternative miles pool to draw from too. Especially since it would give me chance to broaden my horizons and experiences and try three new airlines in their premium cabins (having already managed to fit in bmi in ‘The Business’ to LAS in January thanks to a decent fare sale, and LH in Business to AUH in July thanks to a decent Expedia Special).

So, with the scene set, I began to take (rather detailed!) notes and record my thoughts as the trip unfolded…

Last edited by G-BOAC; Sep 7, 2007 at 10:18 am
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

NZ001 LHR-LAX 01 September 2007, Depart 16:15/Arrive 19:30 - Business Premier

NZ001 LHR-LAX 01 September 2007, Depart 16:15/Arrive 19:30 - Business Premier

It was a rather muggy day in London by the time I left for Paddington at around 11:45 – which made for a less than pleasant Tube ride. However, it was on time and working well (i.e. it was a few days before the bolshy workshy union idiot Bob Crow got another chance to unforgivably screw over millions of people ) and I had no problem comfortably making the 12:25 HEX (earlier than the 12:40 I’d originally planned) – and cooling down a tad in the First Class section thanks to a free upgrade code I’d been able to use.

I’ve only ever flown from T3 once before (that I recall) – an early morning SK to CPH years back, although I have been there to drop people off/collect them several times. I immediately recalled how ridiculous it was with its split-level Departures setup and crowded lower level check-in (remember, I am used to the haven of Zone R with BA T1 or at worst T4 which is at least on one level!). This time, it was an order of magnitude worse due to being a complete building site. The signs helpfully said NZ check in was ‘Zone E/G’ – as Sod’s Law dictates, I went to G to find out I should have gone to E. There were 3 business desks open and the economy queue looked to be about 20 minutes long. I had to wait about 5 minutes as each of the desks was in use and seemed to be taking some time, but I had a chat with the very pleasant lady ‘guarding’ the line. Once I got to the desk it didn’t take long for another friendly lady on duty to process me, take my API details and check my (separate) return tickets and I was soon holding my BP for 2A (which I’d called up to reserve right after booking) and on my way upstairs (which is very badly signposted I think). Fast track was, err, fast (although not fast enough to keep up with me – I got reprimanded for not using trays because there weren’t any available when I got there – more classic BAA ‘efficiency’ in action ) and by just gone 13:00 I was in Lounge B (the SAS/AC lounge) by virtue of my *G card – NZ actually direct you to lounge G (the UA RCC).

The SAS lounge was pretty enough in a classic Scandinavian way but uninspiring at that time of day – not a hint of Champagne on offer and the snacks (some fruit and vegetables with dips, crisps and nuts) weren’t going to cut it – I was starving! By this point I’d met up with Boddingtons and after a couple of beers from the tap (sadly for him not of his namesake!) we made a move over to the SQ lounge (B). Since the next SQ flight wasn’t until 6pm or so, it was empty – but they had no problem letting us in. Proper hot food would appear from 4pm but that was too late for us. Instead, they did have a very nice selection of snacks and premium sandwiches/wraps in their fridge which hit the spot ^ A member of staff was soon behind the bar opening me a bottle of De Nauroy Brut and finally I was happy Oh BA, with your Zone R and FIRST lounges, you really have spoiled me! I noticed when we entered the receptionist put our BD numbers in a simple Excel spreadsheet on her computer called ‘Star Alliance’…good to see it’s not just BD’s IT infrastructure which is low tech

Weirdly, our BPs (and indeed the monitors) showed ‘Boarding’ from 14:45 – a full 1:30 before the flight was due to depart! Knowing this couldn’t be right, we supped several more rounds and decided to make the wander to the RCC (since it was on the way) and check that out. As we entered at 15:35 the same queue ‘guard’ lady was now here manning the NZ desk and told us we’d have about 5 minutes to grab a drink if we wanted – the 14:45 time was ‘for the Economy passengers’. Sure enough, half way through an Asahi (no champers here either ) the call came and she wished us a good flight. As we reached Gate 16 it was packed full of people – it was obvious, however, that Priority Boarding was being both offered and enforced…Business Premier, Premium Economy and Star Gold were being invited to board through door A whilst everyone was kept seated. We waltzed straight on to the plane via 2L where we were greeted by name and directed left – always a lovely feeling ^

So far, so pleasant. The check-in/lounge experiences pale in comparison to what I’m used to at BA – but then to be fair, this is not NZ’s main base of course. Priority boarding, however, is something BA really need to learn properly (ESPECIALLY at their home base)

As I settled in to 2A I was pleased to be back in the nose of a 744 again. My only other experiences of being here are in BA FIRST and I did immediately notice the seats were less private (I could see 2K and 3K pretty easily) but then it’s a Business product not a First Class one after all. I was still pleased with my seat choice – as I’d researched, 1AK seemed a bit too close unless you’re travelling as a couple but 2AK (although the overhead bins begin only from row 3 back) seemed far enough forward without being too claustrophobic with a stranger sat opposite. There are 14 seats in the nose section, just like BA F. I was familiar with the seat from my rather fortunate VS Upper Class experience in December 2006 – and made myself comfortable as I perused the menu and wine tasting guide which had been left on the ottoman in advance. I did note there are no individual air vents like I (think I?) recalled from VS. About 5 minutes later the crew came around offering NZ Sparkling Wine (not Champagne), OJ or water. Of course, I tried the former and it was very pleasant – a bit sweeter than the Champagne I’d been drinking before and very ‘quaffable’. I also noted the NZ glassware seemed to be of a ‘generous’ size ^

Now settled I examined the seat a bit more and found it rather dirty – including finding a nail clipping in the little pocket area for storage in the left arm rest section Still, it was comfortable and I was now a bit too squiffy to care much Amenity kits, lip balms and a personal introduction from the Purser followed ^ As was to continue for the rest of the flight, I was always addressed by name – another thing BA can learn to be consistent with. I couldn’t resist seeing if the NZ washrooms had windows like the BA F ones do – they don’t – and on my way back I grabbed a paper from the storage table/area in the centre of the cabin, just before they actually began to offer them around to pax anyway.

First impressions were generally very good. It was comfortable, the crew were nice and efficient and the cabin was a good temperature. Although I couldn’t help but feel a tad uneasy – I put this down to the uncertainty. I am now so familiar with BA’s offerings this felt ‘different’. I was out of my ‘comfort’ zone (though ironically, I was very comfortably seated ) of knowing what to expect next. ’Familiarity breeds contempt’ definitely sums up my BA experiences these days to some extent. I was glad I had the chance again to put things in more perspective and remember the bits I really like about BA (e.g. the wonderful privacy in New Club World due to the seat setup, the crews, most of the catering, etc.). By 16:00 I noticed the jetty had been disconnected and the Captain said we were just loading the final bags before heading off for our 10:45 flight. In the end, we pushed back at around 16:20 and got airborne by 16:45. One major plus of the VS/NZ seats is the TV can be on and visible at all times – the NZ moving map is very impressive, especially the Google Map style satellite image it tracks you on ‘live’. Very novel indeed ^ Now at this point on BA I’d admit to something rather sad – I do like listening to ‘Aria On Air’ (a remix of the BA ‘flower duet’ theme song) as we soar through the clouds On a non-BA flight, I can confirm that just feels kind of dirty, like I’m cheating on a loved one and flaunting it

The seatbelt sign went out very quickly and the service got underway with a drinks order then hot towels – although this was rather leisurely (drinks order taken at about 17:05, another 5 minutes before the hot towels then another 10-15 minutes before the drinks actually arrived along with some very moreish ‘Cassava’ Crisps which were like mini prawn crackers). The drinks on offer were:

Code:
CHAMPAGNE
Veuve Clicquot N.V. Champagne, France
Champagne Laurent-Perrier L-P N.V. Brut, France

NEW ZEALAND SPARKLING WINE

At least two different reds and whites from those listed in the bigger wine
guide (Sorry, I didn’t try these so don’t know which they were on
the day).
I opted for the Laurent Perrier and it slipped down nicely enough! Somewhere before this, the FSM introduced himself, shook my hand, greeted me by name and had a brief chat. CSDs on BA only do this in F (if you’re lucky), another positive mark to NZ. What the crew didn’t seem to master as well as BA was all-important PETUR – the Pre-Emptive Top Up Regime(TM)! Although they weren’t shy if you asked and the glasses did seem to last longer due to their size.

By about 17:55 the meal began to arrive. This was the menu:

Code:
STARTER
Tea smoked salmon with manuka honey roasted tomato, melon, feta
and pine nut salsa

BAKERY
Garlic bread, potato rosemary bread or olive sourdough bread

MAIN COURSE
Beef fillet steak with spring onion cake, wild mushrooms, wilted spinach
and truffled chervil and sea salt butter

Herb roasted chicken breast on butternut squash and parmesan risotto,
sugar snaps and green peas

Pan seared halibut with tomatoes, saffron and wine on mustard mash,
caramelised fennel and shiso cress

Light choice salad of courgette, herbs, goat cheese and pistachio nuts
with pistachio and lime dressing

DESSERT
Gourmet ice cream dessert of berries and clotted cream ice cream and
serious chocolate ice cream

Passionfruit panna cotta with roasted pineapple and star anise compote

CHEESE
British Black Stick Blue and Barbers mature cheddar with prune and
walnut cake and quince paste
Negative marks for no choice of starter, me thinks, which I found surprising. For the main, I opted for the halibut. The garlic bread was excellent, I had to have thirds! I’ve had this on several carriers now but never BA – another thing I wish they’d do. One thing I realized was the portions seemed quite stingy. The salmon starter was a bit dry too. All in all, not awful but not brilliant and I’d say it was inferior to what I’m used to in BA J (I flit between comparing this to BA F and J in my head since it’s the top cabin, but a Business product). On the plus side, the dessert was very nice and the small portions meant I just had to cram in the cheese course too I didn’t even realize there was NZ dessert wine available (something you only get in BA F) but the crew offered and I snapped it up. It was excellent, but I’m not sure what it was The port and a couple of cups of coffee rounded off the meal nicely…before my now warm and flat remaining Champagne from earlier was replaced with a nice fresh serving ^

AVOD worked perfectly throughout and I managed to watch in Pirates of the Caribbean 3 (utter crap!) and Breach (rather good) before a few comedy shows. I’m surprised I didn’t find time for more…but that may be explained by Boddingtons and I seemingly losing a few hours chatting in the galley (so as not to disturb other pax in the cabin)…near the drinks trolley I lost count of my consumption, but it wasn’t pretty. The crew weren’t always around but when they were and looked busy, I did ask the first time if it was OK to top myself up (better to ask politely than risk breaking a rule I felt!)…”Oh yeah, go for your life” was the welcome response

I would sum the experience up as an F-esque seat with a J-esque service but with some added extra nice touches (e.g. dessert wine). The crew were friendly and efficient but not super-attentive. They lacked the slight extra warmth I’ve come to look forward to (and generally, happily, get) with BA crews. But that’s just being picky, and it’s entirely subjective.

Soon it was time for the second snack service. At this point I felt it prudent to switch to tea and water – necking a good couple of litres of the latter to re-hydrate me before we landed. As you’ll see, thank God I did. The second meal offering was:

Code:
STARTER
Tropical fruit salad with kiwifruit, orange and pineapple

SANDWICHES
Roasted eggplant, peppers and basil with sundried tomato
hummus sandwich

Chicken, bacon and almond salad sandwich

Baby shrimp, fresh chervil and dill mayonnaise sandwich

Shaved ham, cheddar, lettuce and tomato sandwich

SCONES
Freshly baked scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream
and it was perfectly nice – even if it was rather bizarrely served with plastic forks not metal like everything else so far (including the knife in this bundle!). I skipped the scones (in a desperate and futile nod to ‘being healthy’, deftly ignoring the amount of booze I’d consumed!) but polished off the rest.

After dozing off for about 30 minutes (I was trying to rest my eyes which were by now looking rather bloodshot!) we landed and got to our gate bang on time by my watch. This was going well. I figured we’d be first off, through immigration and off to the CP LAX for a night cap in under 30 minutes. No such bloody luck. LAX was a disgrace, a disaster and deeply insulting and unwelcoming. An hour and a bloody half to get through Immigration. No word of exaggeration. Absolutely disgusting and chiefly driven by them having about 5 agents working. Pathetic. I must stop now, even thinking about it is making my blood boil again! Thank God I’d sobered up a bit and re-hydrated. When we finally did get through, the bags were waiting and off we staggered to the free hotel shuttle. Somewhat narked that an otherwise excellent trip had been spoiled by the worst US arrivals experience I can ever remember in all my trips. Hey ho!

Overall: very good indeed and I’d definitely fly them again…though perhaps not to stupid ol’ LAX An excellent flight though until that point.

Last edited by G-BOAC; Sep 7, 2007 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

US109 LAX-LAS 02 September 2007, Depart 12:30/Arrive 13:39 - First Class

US109 LAX-LAS 02 September 2007, Depart 12:30/Arrive 13:39 - First Class

Despite holding out until midnight over a few free welcome beers in the bar (the hotel gave us vouchers as the Club was closed) I slept badly and in fits and starts. By 6am I decided to bite the bullet and just get up…to read FT of course A couple of hours of surfing (on the free WiFi ^) and a refreshing shower saw me ready to hit the free breakfast buffet and catch up with the others…who had already eaten! I decided to eat whilst they collected the cars.

Just after 10am I bid farewell (hopefully not forever!) to my suitcase in one of the ve-hic-les and caught the free CP shuttle back to LAX, wondering whether it would be swamped due to the holiday weekend. In fact, Terminal 1 was very quiet. First check-in to my pre-assigned seat of 2C took a minute or so, security 5…it would have been less than that were it not for the usual contingent of retards incapable of understanding a METAL detector detects METAL and that you should prepare stuff to go through the X-Ray BEFORE the machine not AT it. Such people really should be banned from travelling anywhere. Sigh.

By about 10:30 I was in the US Airways ‘Club’. The desk agents were very friendly and helpful but insisted I’d get no drinks vouchers as a Star Gold if I wasn’t on an International itinerary. I was sure this was not true It’s certainly not the case over on oneworld – and after all, US Airways *G members can enjoy proper lounges and a free bar when they’re in Europe (for example). OK, it was early but there was a principle at stake and I quite fancied a Bloody Mary actually! There was no argument, nastiness or rudeness at all – in fact, I wish all women would reject me so nicely She was happy to look at the US Airways ‘manual’ and could only find the rule that ‘Star Gold on International’ flights got coupons. No explicit exclusion for other itineraries, but I felt I was going to lose this battle to graciously thanked her for looking and went to drink all the soft drinks I could force down me to get my money’s worth instead

A quick surf on the T-Mobile WiFi left me well over an hour to commence this trip report before boarding was meant to begin at 12:00. After a stroll to Gate 4 for 12:00 it became clear people were still leaving the plane we were meant to be using, so a 12:00 boarding and 12:30 take off looked unlikely! Although the former was obvious, the latter was a nice surprise – boarding began around 12:10 (with proper priority enforcement once again – sigh, BA!) and by 12:25 we were ready to push back. The A319 was nearly full, but there were 4 empty seats in First Class at least – the FA managed to serve me a G&T on the ground and I got through most of it before it was yanked away to speed our departure We were airborne by 12:35 for what would be a short flight – only 49 minutes apparently.

Apart from noting some weird fog/smoke/steam rising from the windows to the roof (never seen that on any other A319s before?) for about 30 seconds after we took off, it was a fairly standard flight. The seats were wide and comfortable in their 3-row, 2-2 setup, though the pitch felt a bit tighter than AA First on the MD-80 or similar. Another G&T and an offering from the crisps (chips)/pretzels/nuts basket and the time just seemed to disappear listening to my iPod until we began a rather choppy descent in to LAS. A hike and a half from an A gate (I think) to the exit revealed a huge taxi queue and I feared the worst in the 110 degree heat! Thankfully, it kept on moving all the time – they’d adopted the Disney style queue, a huge snaking monster doubling back on itself many times...I felt like I walked the G&Ts off no problem It wasn’t long before at the Bellagio (check-in took forever, however – what is it about these Casinos, it always seems so badly organised and slow?) and then finally in my rather decent fountain-view room ^

Last edited by G-BOAC; Sep 11, 2007 at 7:55 am
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

US785 LAS-LAX 05 September 2007, Depart 11:40/Arrive 12:59 – Economy Class

US785 LAS-LAX 05 September 2007, Depart 11:40/Arrive 12:59 – Economy Class

Originally I was on the US110 LAS-LAX 14:19/15:29 but most of the rest of the group were on the US100 10:30 flight. That one was a bit too early for me, but my connection at LAX (knowing I’d have to go landside, get a bus, re-clear security) worried me. I did not want to miss the important flight – UA F home to LHR. So I decided I’d chance my arm exploiting the different approach US airlines have to changing flights by getting to the airport around 10:30 and seeing if I could get on the flight before the one on which I was booked.

The check-in lady was an angel, tapping away and looking at the options for me. She said there was availability to change to the earlier flight (US785) but only in Economy, and it would be $25. I asked if there were any decent Economy seats left and she said she could get me an Exit Row or Bulkhead window...and then added she’d waive the $25 since I was meant to be in First. Despite not really wanting to sully myself with a Y experience I decided I’d better accept her kind offer and get to LAX earlier just in case. It was then I noticed the last minute change had SSSS’d my damn BP so off I trotted to ‘security’, foregoing the landside US Airways Club (where, today, I would have actually got drinks vouchers!). Plus, I convinced myself, it would be ‘kind of cool’ to have tried another different cabin of service on the trip *cough*.

Well it wasn’t until 11am that I got through after a full on anal probe The TSA guys were friendly enough but clearly felt it was a pointless chore for them too. I just passively accepted it and let them get on with it with a weary air of cooperation, as always. Hey-ho. At the gate, I looked at my BP again now the SSSS trauma was over and noted I was somehow in 20F which was neither the bulkhead nor the exit row that the check-in lady offered me. This was promptly changed to 4F as planned by the gate agent and I had time to use about 10 minutes of the free LAS WiFi to sync my mail before the A320 began to board.

Doors closed 11:35 and we pushed back at 11:40 in to a bit of a queue for take-off at 12:05. Happily, 4E was free and it was a short flight so I occupied myself catching up with a chunk of e-mails and was certainly not uncomfortable. What was poor was the total lack of service – not even a paid drinks run in Economy, let alone a free soft drinks offering (I am sure on the LAX-LAS the crew did this?) I could actually have really done with an ice-cold Sprite too

By 12:50 we were down and by 12:55 at our gate. I knew I now had plenty of time so I didn’t rush, but it didn’t take too long to pick up the free airport shuttle to head for T6. Sod’s Law – everything worked perfectly the one time I didn’t absolutely need it to! Although my UA flight departed from T7, the UA premium check-in and security is actually at the far left of T6. But badly signposted. So I ended up walking to the T7 ‘up’ escalator (the bus drops you on the arrivals level) and then back to T6. Top tip: turn right from the bus drop off, not left

Last edited by G-BOAC; Sep 7, 2007 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA934 LAX-LHR 05 September 2007, Depart 17:50/Arrive 12:15* – First Class

UA934 LAX-LHR 05 September 2007, Depart 17:50/Arrive 12:15* – First Class

Once I reached T6, the experience looked to be very positive: a nice big premium check-in area and dedicated security setup ^ They even brand the area for Star Silver members which seems like a useful perk (mostly, I think *S is useless except sometimes on your home carrier where (like bmi) you get lounge access with them alone). I already had my BP from LAS and security was a breeze (especially with the SSSS intrusion still fresh in my mind) so I was soon on my way to the International First Class Lounge. This too is very poorly signposted, but thanks to some advice from a fellow FTer I found it easily...no thanks to UA!

It was nearly empty when I arrived at about 13:30 and I was greeted with friendly surprise from the desk agent who welcomed me in. It seems the LHR flight covers most of the traffic in the afternoon, with a few people from the NYC ‘PS’ flights admitted and mostly just LHR after that. She gave me a free T-Mobile WiFi card ^ and off I trotted to examine the free bar

I noted a lack of proper ‘premium’ spirits (e.g. JW Black not Blue, normal Tanqueray not number 10) and the ‘Champagne’ was Schramsberg from California. I grabbed one anyway and now had a craving for a Sprite (my soft drink addiction) but there was none available! Pepsi and Mountain Dew, no Coke or Sprite. Tut tut. I grabbed a Mountain Dew instead and settled down to work before immediately deciding I was hungry (despite a huge Bellagio buffet breakfast ) so I went back to look at the food. This was more impressive: sushi, sandwiches, seafood, desserts, nuts, crisps/chips, etc. And fruit. I had sushi and a pile of scallops and jumbo shrimp ^

In the lounge I heard at least 3 conversations about miles and UA’s program – some people had used miles to be in First that day (I hate those kinds of people ) and others were discussing earning/burning. I don’t think (groups of FTers aside!) I’ve ever heard this in other lounges...I think our friends across the pond are a lot more clued up in general about miles than we are here.

The time passed quickly catching up on some work and chuffing through more sushi and several more ‘Champagnes’ too. I didn’t realise it was so late until I was paged at 16:55 which worried me somewhat...thankfully it was just to collect my passport info which US hadn’t done at LAS (maybe they couldn’t). I was told there’d be no escort from the lounge as they were short staffed but a call would be made. Sure enough, at 17:05 per the BP a call went out and it was a short trip to the very close gate 74 where (again) there was a proper priority line ^

I was very pleased to board via 1L (Economy was boarding via 2L) and finally be able to settle in to the cabin. First impressions were very good – with a friendly greeting and a happy, smiley crew and a nice bright, spacious cabin (only 12 seats, with 3A being a crew rest seat). I had researched online before my trip and the usual sites seemed to suggest 3J was the best seat (except on Pacific routes where it’s also a crew rest), so this is what I reserved right after I’d booked my ticket. I found it easily (!) and noted the amenity kit and headphones were already there on the seat. I didn’t like the fact C was so close behind since I knew there would be no curtain to separate the cabins due to the stupid FAA rules. I do much prefer the BA setup where there’s a galley behind F which makes the cabin feel more separate.

As I finished stowing my bag, I was offered Water, OJ or Sparkling Wine – which I took (natch!) but it was nowhere near as nice as the one on NZ. Papers from a trolley were offered soon after and again I was addressed by name which set the tone for the rest of the flight.

The seat itself was impressive. It was wide and comfortable and I had ‘worked it out’ fairly easily by looking at the buttons, etc. The small TV was a bit pathetic – but then BA has similar tiny TVs on some of its 777s too. Flicking through the IFE guide it became clear the offerings (on 7 movie channels plus 2 TV ones) were as crappy as the screen – but I figured I could survive with seeing Ocean’s Thirteen again during the meal until I wanted to sleep. Soon after the CSD equivalent (not sure what that is on UA? Head Purser?) also offered the personal tapes to F pax – but that selection (from 15) was also dire! I took the film 300 ‘just in case’ but didn’t end up using it. He confirmed UA did not give out PJs in F when I inquired – which is a bit cheap if you ask me.

All my flights on this trip kept good time and this was no different – we pushed back at 17:50 and were in the air by 18:00. About 15 minutes later the CSD equivalent finished off taking dinner orders (he’d managed to do some of the left hand side of the cabin on the ground) and asked if I’d like to be woken for breakfast if I was sleeping. I asked him what was the latest time they could wake people and he replied “About 40 minutes to 1hr, Mr. X? Certainly we won’t wake you more than an hour out.” This was excellent to hear – it’s very annoying that BA seems to start the breakfast service about 1:30 out of LHR and tries to secure the cabin at 40 minutes. I much preferred UA’s approach ^ This was the complete menu:

Code:
TO BEGIN
A sampling of hot appetizers: Roasted mushroom duck tart and seared sea
scallop with organic kalamata olive-caper vinaigrette and fig chutney

Curry tomato lentil soup

Salad: Fresh seasonal greens. Classic Caesar or roasted garlic red wine
vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE
Grilled sea bass and creamy stone ground grits. Braised collard greens
with bacon and organic tomato-herb finishing sauce

Wild mushroom and coriander braised celery with farfalle pasta

The following entrees include your choice of:
Yukon mashed potatoes with parsley or Herbed basmati rice with
chives Swiss chard or Moroccan-style vegetable ratatouille

Pan-seared veal medallions with morel sauce

French-style chicken stuffed with apricots and spinach with
balsamic cherry sauce

DESSERT
Ice cream sundae toppings

Cheese selection: Jarlsberg, Reny Picot Fontina, St. Andre Triple
Crème

Fresh strawberries with brown sugar sour cream dip

-- == --

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
Florentine quiche with Hollandaise sauce. Sautéed pork sausage
and crispy bacon

Or

Fresh seasonal fruit plate with muesli

-- == --

FEATURED WINES
CHAMPAGNE
Pommery Grand Cru 1998
Drappier Millesime Exception 2000

WHITE WINE
Jean-Marc Brocard Chablis 2005 Montmains (Chardonnay)
Kim Crawford 2006 Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
Firestone Sauvignon Blanc 2005 Santa Ynez

RED WINE
Chateau Camensac 2002 Haut-Medoc (Bordeaux Blend)
Kunde Estate Merlot 2003 Sonoma

PORT
Sandeman Founders Reserve Porto
I selected the veal (surprised again at no choice of starters - especially in a First Class cabin when it's par for the course in even BA J! ^) and asked to be woken an hour out of LHR.

I was now feeling nicely relaxed in my big seat and at ease having overcome my ‘fish out of water’ feeling since this was also out of my comfort zone, similar to the NZ flight. Seatbelt lights went out and the TVs came on as I was served my first glass of Pommery with warm nuts. Such a simple thing to do but it really does make a difference – I love the warm nuts on AA/UA which BA never do Top-ups (of both ) followed along with water for dinner and hot towels. As my table was set for the starter, more top-ups came – this was a good sign as it was my only real ‘worry’ about flying UA: I had heard they can take a rather, errm, shall we say ‘American’ attitude to booze where perhaps (the perception at least is that) people don’t down quite as much as us Boozy Brits. I feared my supply being embarrassingly cut off – which runs contra to my normal plane plan, especially in premium cabins, of “Drink. Enjoy. Drink more. Sleep nicely knocked out” The crew, however, were excellent and kept me well topped up all the time.

A disappointment was the plastic knives – another stupid rule IMHO, but there you go. I assume that is not really UA’s fault. What pissed me off more was the badly edited Ocean’s Thirteen where I learned someone was a ‘Son of a Bone’ and people were ‘Shoots’ Such stupid censorship is a real pet hate of mine. Ah well, at least the booze was flowing nicely, who cares Sadly the food was not great. The starters were a bit limp and the veal dry and tough...with soggy vegetables. Again, BA is strides ahead on catering. But it was all edible. I had stuck with 5 or 6 glasses of champagne until the salad when the very nice crew lady looking after me wondered if I may like to change to a red for my main – and indeed I had already selected the Merlot in my head. This was excellent and I had to get several more glasses to make sure my first impression was right

I wasn’t overly hungry (the buffet and lounge had seen to that) so no room for cheese/port and the strawberries this time, but the crew insisted I have the ice cream and “you MUST have the chocolate sauce – skip the whipped cream, we make lousy whipped cream in the US, but trust me...” She was right. It was delicious.

I was impressed there seemed to be no shortage of catering – everyone appeared to get their first choices (and with seconds in the case of some!). As the crew cleared away the tables, coffee and liqueurs were offered. I decided a Cognac would be a good idea to help me sleep and I was asked if I’d like it warmed for me ^ Well, needless to say 1 turned in to 4 and I was flat out and sleeping in my bed by 21:00 local time. Like a baby it turns out – not waking until just before an hour out of LHR past DUB when the crew were about to wake me anyway.

After a quick freshen up I had the fruit plate for breakfast which was generous and very welcome. I still wasn’t overly hungry so a few bites of muesli sufficed and I didn’t touch the Danish on the side. Glugging 3 sizeable glasses of OJ and a couple of coffees left me feeling human again and really rather well rested after what must have been about 6hrs of sleep.

The crew were very hard working throughout this flight – and it was great to see them keep serving until the ‘belts on’ light was dinged about 15 minutes out of LHR. This elicited a hot towel run and cabin clear up before they took their seats about 5-10 minutes out of our approach (which was miraculously not beset by a tedious holding requirement for once). We touched down early at 12:00 but a slow taxi and wait near T3 for our gate (well, you didn’t think this was a fairy tale, right?) saw us dock bang on time at 12:15 at gate 320. Unfamiliar as I am with T3 I didn’t realise this would result in a hike that makes my ‘favourite’ Victor pier at T4 look like a simple stroll in the park I was actually first off and in no rush until I hit a swarm of VS pax coming off a 744. I hate queues and (sadly) you can never bank on Iris being up and running so I quickened my pace. Thankfully, one of the two Iris machines was operating and I was the only one trying to use it – and use it I did, with Smug Factor set to 11 since the normal queues were still huge despite my speedy progress on the way there. With hand luggage only I continued at a decent pace, aware the 12:33 HEX was just about doable...and indeed at 12:32 I jumped on it. I class that as bloody good at LHR: gate to HEX in just over 15 minutes!

As I briefly mused on whether I had ever seen anyone on the HEX ‘asked to identify [your] baggage and be subjected to a search’ I reflected on what had been a great UA flight. I was comfortable, well looked after and slept very well. I was able to get home and finish a full day’s work late in to the evening with no problems at all.

All in all, this was a fantastic trip. NZ J and UA F were excellent experiences to have had and I would fly both of them again. I’d tolerate US for short hops, but prefer AA. And of course this report just talks about the flights – Vegas was a hell of a lot of fun (even if I have no self control and wasted a chunk of cash ). A great long weekend and a very good way of burning some BD miles. Now, on to the next trip...!

Last edited by G-BOAC; Sep 8, 2007 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 7, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Great stuff. ^
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well detailed report G-BOAC and a great read.^

Why do I get the feeling that the layover parts of the trip would make for far more interesting reading.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:26 am

Thanks for the most detailed report, G-BOAC. ^
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent report! ^
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, you had like over a dozen drinks in just 12 hours!

Great report. Glad you had a good experience on UA.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fantastic report!^

That award seems awfully cheap! Is that the normal price, or is that "cash and miles?"

Thanks for taking the time to write this!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice report, thanks G-BOAC ^
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Great report - thanks for all the hard work, G-BOAC ^

As for a walk on the Star side, no harm at all in hedging one's bets! I'm managing to build up reasonable balances with both BD and LH, but I've yet to have the pleasure of my first *A redemption.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Wow, you had like over a dozen drinks in just 12 hours!
I sure hope that he's had more than 1 drink per hour.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
That award seems awfully cheap! Is that the normal price, or is that "cash and miles?"
These are the BD Miles + Cash award prices, yes. For straight awards, you double the miles and remove (some) of the cash (taxes/fees/Gordon Brown thievery, etc. still all get applied).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.