Wiki Posts
Search

SilverJet 8/25/07 (LTN/EWR)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
SilverJet 8/25/07 (LTN/EWR)

I set out on Satuday morning with little traffic and minor construction on the way to Luton Airport for my return trip on SilverJet to EWR. The airport signage is not as good as Heathrow, at a number of roundabouts you are not sure until the last minute which exit to use but just keep going up the hill!

At the airport SilverJet has a private vehicle entrance to their lounge at the roundabout however, again, the sign is very small (placed underneath a larger sign that says authorized vehicles only) and easy to miss. When you do see it, however, you are able to stop right outside the lounge entrance making it very convenient.

Entering the SilverJet lounge I went through a very quick and relaxed check-in procedure (show passport, my green card and the standard security questions) and they took my one bag I was checking in. The lounge itself is spacious and beautiful, much larger and better equipped as you might expect than the one in Newark with ample well-stocked private shower facilities and even a library section. One confusing aspect is that the second entry to the additional restrooms and shower facilities is not well marked in the corner of the lounge unlike the smaller facilities in the corridor on the way in. A sign in the main area pointing to the second door and set of facilities would be a good idea.

A champaign breakfast bar is provided with cereals, juices, fruits, coffee, champaign, danish etc. I was hoping for something hot (like oatmeal) but settled for cereal instead. The atmosphere is great, you really feel relaxed here and the design lends itself to keeping the noise to a minimum. There is one television plasma display in the food area for entertainment and of course you don’t need to worry about checking on departure gates and times.

While the seating is comfortable there is a lack of easy access to power sockets. There is free wireless although the wireless network name (SID) is not consistent (in the UK it is SilverLounge, in Newark it is just called SilverJet) but there are no public Internet terminals that I saw so if you haven’t brought your laptop you are out of luck. The lounge was designed by Langlands and Bell. There is a projector showing an artistic animation of various airport codes (the “language of places”).

There is no access to “duty free” although this is something I personally do not care about but many travelers may. The service is outstanding, one lady needed to post (mail) some letters. While there are no postal facilities in the lounge the staff member offered to take them and post them after her shift was over. This does reenforce the need for SilverJet to consider enhancement in their lounge offerings as many flyers will expect them to be available as they are in the main terminal building.

The trip through the private security just behind the lounge was efficient and pleasant. I find British transport security persons generally more cordial than their American TSA counterpart and since there are less than 100 passengers and no rush the routine was effortless. A bus then took us to the Silver Boeing 767.

Much has already been written (and is available on the web site) as to the interior of the plane. The seats are excellent and comfortable and the personal reading lamp is powered using bright white LEDs and provides plenty of illumination while keeping spillage to a minimum. Curiously enough they have removed the overhead vents and controls you find on most planes but I found the ambient temperature was comfortable enough anyway.

While there is plenty of overhead space available, there is very little seat area stowage and none below your feet during takeoff and landing (the flight attendants put everything in the bin above you). I am nearly 6’2” and have size 12 (US) feet and found the seating space more than adequate other than for sleeping where my feet were just a little cramped in the space provided under the seat in front. I plan to book a bulk head/exit row seat next time as I believe this would solve that problem. Never the less, I was able to sleep on the EWR->LTN night leg.

The in-flight entertainment is provided through personal units which plug into the power socket below each seat. The seat power socket appears to be designed to take both American 2-pin plugs and European plugs although I have no idea what AC voltage(s) may be provided (the entertainment unit uses a 2-pin 100-240V switched plug). This is a welcome change from the empower sockets on most planes.

The personal entertainment unit is well stocked with content providing a selection of TV show episodes, up to date movies, music and games -- plenty to keep someone occupied for the entirety of the trip. It also has two sockets for standard 3.5mm headphone plugs if you want to share the experience. An advantage for me to being on a British based airline is that they include many British shows and audio.

I was happy with the entertainment unit itself (it even remembers where you left off on a movie and offers to continue from there) I was somewhat disappointed in the headset quality. I highly recommend SilverJet do a deal with Bose to get the noise reducing headsets as I’ve had on other airlines (such as American). I’m sure Bose must make a number of sales of their headphones simply because of the passengers who use them on those flights and decide to purchase for their own personal use later. I elected to use my own Shure E3C canalphones instead. For people who prefer to read there is a small but decent selection of magazines available too on board. The only thing I missed was the lack of any moving map as sometimes it is nice to know where you are during the flight.

The flight staff are excellent from the first contact to the last. My flight attendants on both legs introduced themselves and asked my name (which they remembered when I left, much more impressive than a simple bye) and during the day flight the In Flight Manager (Mr Bolton) introduced himself to each passenger during the flight and checked to make sure we had all the forms we needed for landing. I flew both a night flight on my way to the UK and a day flight on the way back. On the night flight they concentrate on taking care of everything as soon as possible so they can darken the cabin and let you sleep. There are no call buttons, instead I noticed they walked through the cabin regularly (every 10 minutes or so it seemed) checking on everyone.

I opted for the in-flight menu on the way out and it was excellent both in taste and presentation as good or better than I’ve had in American first class. They also provided a breakfast when I woke up before landing which could be taken with you if you wished. On the return trip I decided to pre-select a meal online and was delighted to find they knew my selection when taking my dinner order. No shortage of wines or champaign for those who enjoy those beverages and before landing they had chocolate cake with cream (and the cake chocolate was perfectly warmed too).

Landing at Newark was a typical experience. I really think they need to announce the landing earlier however as even with less than 100 people everyone always waits until that point to make a final restroom trip and there just aren’t enough facilities to accommodate that rush before the seat belt lights come on. It is worth mentioning that SilverJet are the first airline I've been on that have a designated women only restroom in the center of the plane (the other 2 in the center are open to both sexes)

On the outgoing leg landing at Luton had many advantages over Heathrow. We came straight in and landed without delay and I was able to rapidly get through passport control, pickup my luggage and exit to the lounge as no other flight appeared to be landing at that time of the morning. I'm sure it would have been longer had there been more flights arriving.

In summary, I’ve definitely found a new favourite airline for my UK trips and I’ll be using them again!

Last edited by bradsjm; Aug 27, 2007 at 5:18 pm
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:22 am

Very good report, sounds like Silverjet is operating quite a competitive product on the NYC-LON market.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the report.

What was served for dinner and breakfast?
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
From my notes, the on-board selection for my flight from LTN to EWR included:
  • Chargrilled marinated squid with red peppers, capers and olive oil
  • Belgian endive salad with gorgonzola & roasted almonds
  • Grilled lamb cutlets with summer vegetables & salsa verde
  • Salmon fishcake with baby spinach & parsley sauce
  • Wild mushroom risotto
Desert was English strawberries & Jersey cream (or cheese)
Finally afternoon tea of chocolate cake with Jersey cream

For the overnight outgoing flight, my notes have the main choices as:
  • Breast of chicken with creamed sweetcorn & rocket
  • Filet of zander nicoise
  • Pan-friend pamesan polenta with sweetcorn puree, fava beans & stir-fried greens & tomato concase
There are also plenty of other meals to choose from if you pre-select online from their menu including Asian Vegetarian, British Classics, Diabetic, Gluten Free, Kids, Kosher, Curry and Vegan Vegetarian choices Trust me when I say you will find something you like!

The breakfast I didn't make a note of, my recollection was that it included some hot sandwich, yogurt, and fruit (at the time I had packed up the laptop and was getting ready to land)

I caught sight of the chef a couple of times during the flight.
Old Aug 29, 2007, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bradsjm
It is worth mentioning that SilverJet are the first airline I've been on that have a designated women only restroom in the center of the plane (the other 2 in the center are open to both sexes)
They have an amusing viral Ad referencing this feature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgYDohoobOw
Old Oct 23, 2007, 6:42 am

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
Slightly sour taste re: Kosher "duping"... Excellent otherwise

This may seem heavy handed to some, but I'd appreciate honesty, rather than a cover-up where Kosher meals are concerned...

What I sent to them:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was a passenger on Silverjet on 09 August 2007, in seat 7C. My name is ***. This flight was the return portion from New York to London. The outbound flight was a pleasure and a delight - the check-in was pleasant (superior to BA business class, in my opinion) and the flight comfortable..

However, there were two issues with the return flight. The first issue is that there was no Kosher meal for me. The second is that the cabin staff seemed to be trying to "trick" me into accepting another meal, passing it off as Kosher. I believe that I left my details at the time, but so far, nobody has attempted to contact me.

Firstly, on the subject of Kosher meals - I generally rely upon airline meals when I travel - especially long-haul. Kosher food is often difficult to obtain when travelling, and the airline is the one place I can be guaranteed (or not) of getting it. A large part of my decision to travel business class is the quality of the meal.

On the second issue - I shall try to explain the events as I recall, and as I noted at the time. A small amount of time into the flight, the attendant gave me the standard meal kit (cutlery, etc.) I objected and said that I have a Kosher meal booked (she confirmed this) and it should contain it all. She insisted (which is very strange), and I kept it there, intending to return it when my meal arrived together with cutlery/crockery.

My meal came after everyone else's, and looked different - slightly. It was NOT in the sealed containers, nor was I asked to open any sealed containers previously. This is unheard of as far as Kosher meals are concerned. I said that I didn't believe that this was a Kosher meal. I was assured by the attentendant that it was (according to the chef). I refused to take it, and asked if anyone else onboard had a Kosher meal. She informed me that someone else did, and he had the same problem as I did. At this point, I noticed that some of the items I was served were the same as others in the plane. The meal was most definitely not a Kosher meal.

This issue is significantly more dire than merely missing a meal (even one I relied upon and paid the business-class premium to expect). I have discussed this with members of the orthodox Jewish community, and they also feel that this issue needs to be addressed. It is one thing to apologise that the Kosher meal is unavailable, and even to offer an alternative. It is quite another thing to insist that a non-Kosher meal is Kosher. And worrying to the Jewish community leaders I've approached about this issue.

This was the first flight (round-trip) that I've flown with SilverJet, and I was otherwise quite impressed with the value for money and quality of the experience. I would appreciate a response to this issue, including how the misunderstanding occurred (I suspect that the meals just didn't turn up, and the chef got "creative"), and what steps will be taken to prevent such an event occuring in the future. The integrity of Kosher meals is sacrosanct in Judaism. Please be aware that a response might be circulated to the Jewish media/newspapers.

Sincerely,
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: LY Plat, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Edan Plat, Priority Club Plat
I am very interested in what happens with regards to the kosher meal situation. Part of the reason why I fly BA in business is bc they always have a solid kosher meal, which is actually quite tasty.

Same thing with Cathay the Kosher meals out of YYZ in business were hermolis out of london while the kosher meals in economy were from a local kosher provider (I think Zuchter BerK)
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:36 am

Programs: Amex Plat; IHG Spire Elite; AZ Freccia Alata, SPG Gold; ClubCarlson Gold; Accor Plat; BA Bronze.
I'll keep you updated.

The outbound meal was actually quite substantial - Hermolis (from memory), and more than enough to feed two. No complaints with that one.

They did screw up with the timing, somewhat - brought the hot part (meat dish) after the rest had been finished.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 4:53 am

Reply from Silverjet re:meal

Dear [me],

Further to recent correspondence, I am sorry that your experience of Silverjet was not satisfactory on this occasion. We do pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and I was very concerned to learn of your recent experience. [form letter]

On behalf of everyone at Silverjet, may I apologise for the frustration caused on your recent journey to New York and not being able to enjoy the meal type of your choice.

I am sorry to hear that we did not provide the meals that you requested. I have investigated this complaint and have been told that the kosher meal was loaded on the flight correctly under your name, but unfortunately it was given to the wrong customer by cabin crew. [eh? someone had the SAME PROBLEM]

May I apologise for the inconvenience and frustration caused by this service failure. I do believe that we could have done more on this occasion. Our cabin crew successfully deliver service on board on our daily flights and this is not indicative of the service that they normally provide. [Form letter]

I have forwarded details of this complaint to the Head of Cabin Crew and I believe the appropriate staff training will take place to rectify this in the future. [hmm... the most encouraging thing yet]

Though I cannot reverse this regrettable incident, I would like to extend a goodwill gesture to you to show how sorry we are and offer you a future flight with us at a specially discounted fare of [discounted fare] return. Just let us know, by sending an email to [email address]when you want to travel and we will make the booking for you. [Form letter]

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, as the knowledge that we gain from our customers is very valuable and plays an important role in the future developments of our product and service. [Patronising form letter]

May I take this opportunity to thank you for choosing to book with Silverjet. [um - yeah. my pleasure]

Pretty much the standard response I'd expect. Still - it's not about a discount, or whatever - it's about being told that a non-Kosher meal is a Kosher meal. Honestly, I might as well have written my own response!

Last edited by yossimills; Oct 30, 2007 at 4:54 am Reason: Removed silverjet email address
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: KLM silver elite, Hilton Platinum
Sounds pretty good to me. On a KLM WBC flight at xmas last year to the USA, my meal choice on the way home was totally screwed up. I'm a veggie, and I ended up getting a ton of veggies (wonderful) with my steak!!! Anyhoo I called KLM and sent letters and all I got was a letter saying "Sorry, and have a great xmas" No discounts, No explanations on how the crew should have dealt with it, and so I ended up having a make-shift salad sandwich with crisps. I didn't even get any miles for it. What exactly were you expecting from Silverjet? You definately got better than me, thats for sure. Its obvious that the crew member made a complete balls up, but in all honesty people screw up...we all do. In a perfect world, what should have been the responce?

Last edited by ozbar; Oct 30, 2007 at 11:45 am
Old Oct 30, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Seems like a good response from SilverJet.

It was an honest mistake, and it seems like no matter what they do, you're going to complain anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:02 pm

Programs: KLM silver elite, Hilton Platinum
Pretty much the standard response I'd expect. Still - it's not about a discount, or whatever - it's about being told that a non-Kosher meal is a Kosher meal. Honestly, I might as well have written my own response!
You know what? Maybe the person serving this meal just had no idea what he was serving. Maybe yossimills was just unlucky. I wonder if the Silverjet Management had written a letter saying they were sorry and that for this massive error in judgement, they had sacked him/her. Would that have made him feel better?

And when was the last time you wrote a complaint, and the standard response was to appologise and give you a discounted ticket next time you fly?? I've written a few in my time...never once got a discount. Better luck next time eh?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:12 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by krug
They have an amusing viral Ad referencing this feature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgYDohoobOw
AWSOME
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by 707Flyer

It was an honest mistake, and it seems like no matter what they do, you're going to complain anyway.
NO!!!

It was a dishonest mistake.

THAT is my whole complaint.

I've not received Kosher meals often. Sometimes I complain, and then the "standard response" is quite appropriate.

This was NOT an honest mistake. You've failed to grasp what is so disturbing to me about this.

Imagine a hindu being offered beef, being told it's tofu.
Imagine a Muslim being offered pork, being told it's beef.

There is no way it was an honest mistake.

I've since made further contact with Silverjet, and the response has been more in line with what I would expect - they actually enquired about what happened and the individuals involved.

I'm now happy that they have taken the matter seriously, and I intend to fly with them again.

As I said earlier, all was good (and excellent value for money) except for the meal situation. And I doubt it's going to be repeated with anyone else, now.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by 707Flyer

Just to add to what I said earlier:

An honest mistake is where the airline forgets to load a Kosher meal, and says "we didn't have Kosher, so we're giving you Vegetarian/Halal/Jain/whatever". The dishonest one is where they do what BA once did to me and write KSML on a box of non-Kosher stuff.

I was assured that I was getting a Kosher meal, even after I queried the standard cutlery/crockery, and again after it was brought out - how could a trained airline crew make a "mistake" like that honestly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.