Pacific [Virgin] Blue NZ routes & sale

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Pacific [Virgin] Blue NZ routes & sale

Virgin announces cheap flights on NZ routes
NEW Zealanders will enjoy cut-price domestic airfares after Pacific Blue today announced details of their foray into the local market.

The airline today said it would fly on the Auckland-Wellington, Auckland-Christchurch and Wellington-Christchurch routes from November 15.

Introductory fares of $NZ39 ($34) on flights between the routes have been announced.
After its announcement on Tuesday that it would launch an assault on the New Zealand market, Pacific Blue wiped $NZ147 million off the value of Air New Zealand.

Air New Zealand and Qantas' cheapest flights between Auckland and Wellington for November 15 are reportedly $NZ89 ($78), while a ticket between Christchurch and Auckland costs $99 ($86).

A spokeswoman for Flight Centre in New Zealand said since the cut-price fares had been announced this morning there was already plenty of interest from consumers.

"People are pretty quick to smell a bargain," she said.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sale fares seem okay, but as expected regular fares are hardly cheap.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Jetkid
OT I know but check out PacificBlue's schedule they released today. Two 180 seat B738 aircraft being run from 0600 to 2100 each day with no more than a 30 min turnaround the whole day. Good luck donald duck keeping to that schedule!
It isn't quite as bad as that - 1 a/c flying 0645-2145 and other 0645-1850, and some turnarounds are 35/40 minutes.

But agree there is quite a potential for snowballed delays and cancellations. Whether it will be better or worse than jetconnect is hard to say. With only 2 a/c it could be ugly. Then again, Pacific Blue isn't flying to Queenstown which jetconnect has several flights to/from and is a major source of their delays and cancellations.

Indeed the final departure for the day seems to recognise the potential for accumulated delays with a 45 minute turnaround in the schedule. The initial Pacific Blue schedule is not suitable for most business travel.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The initial Pacific Blue schedule is not suitable for most business travel.
I don't think they really care about that at the moment.

I think the real money in NZ travel isn't business traveller's but leisure traveller's.

I enjoy competition like Pacific Blue entering the market though - brings down fares for a reasonable amount of time, and ensures that competition ensues.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It isn't quite as bad as that - 1 a/c flying 0645-2145 and other 0645-1850, and some turnarounds are 35/40 minutes.

But agree there is quite a potential for snowballed delays and cancellations. Whether it will be better or worse than jetconnect is hard to say. With only 2 a/c it could be ugly. Then again, Pacific Blue isn't flying to Queenstown which jetconnect has several flights to/from and is a major source of their delays and cancellations.

Indeed the final departure for the day seems to recognise the potential for accumulated delays with a 45 minute turnaround in the schedule. The initial Pacific Blue schedule is not suitable for most business travel.
Taking today as an example, delays are creeping in with each turnaround. Now about 1 hour delay with still several flights to go today. The delays are not weather related - QF and NZ are basically on time.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:00 am

Programs: TK elite & BA Gold
Where can I book a WLG-AKL flight on VirginBlue/PacfifcBlue ?

http://www.flypacificblue.com/ doesn´t work!
http://www.virginblue.com.au/ doens´t work!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 12:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

works for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.