Wiki Posts
Search

CX 885 LAX-HKG Short report with pic link

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

CX 885 LAX-HKG Short report with pic link

Hi all,

Here is just a brief report on my return flight on CX 885, which is a much better flight, and thanks to the wonderful crew, as well as the purser, Seraphina Tang, who I had a great conversation with, and sorry for taking up some of her resting time. I definitely hope to be one another of her flight in the future.

August 20, 2007
CX 885 LAX-HKG Lv1315 Arr1855 Boeing 747-400 B-HOV

Photo link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqINY

I arrived at LAX TBIT about two and half hour prior to arrival and the check-in area is pretty mellow, and there is no line in first class. I can report that OW Emerald passengers don’t need to drag their bags to the security station, and there will be a CX hired security guard doing that. Good for CX! I did online check-in the night before and got my beloved 11A again. The on-line check-in was very easy to use, and I did not have any problem, as I did not have the printout with me. The agent cheerfully checked me to HKG, and gave me the lounge invitation to the temporary first class lounge, and told me that the new OW lounge will not open till October 2007.

The TBIT lounge was same as usual and there seems to be fewer food items, but a much larger sushi plate and fruit plate, along with the usual snacks, but no more sandwiches or cheese. However, there is finally free wifi and remember to get the password slip in the counter.

Boarding began at 12:50pm and there was a line at both F and J line, and today’s flight was quite full in economy, almost all full in J (with two seats opened in the main deck, including 11C, and 14E) and F was 2/3 full.

Nothing much to report, except that CX ran out of the ladies’ amenity kits today, as everyone receive the male version. The HK based staffs are a bit more cheerful than the HKG-SFO segment and the usual newspapers, magazines, beverage, and hot towels were passed out before the door was closed at 1:20pm. We pushed back a minute later and headed towards R/W25R, as usual. We took off at 1:50pm and headed straight out to the Pacific Ocean. The routing was a more southern one, and we simply headed straight over the Channel Islands and into the Pacific Ocean, and passing North of Hawaiian Islands, and Midway Islands, and then Okinawa, and turned towards Taipei, Makung, and into Hong Kong. We started at 31,000feet, and then slowly climbed to 32,000feet, and then 34,000 and 35,000feet as we got closer to Hawaii and Midway Islands, and then slowly climbed in increments before reaching 40,000feet as we got closer to Japan.

Here is the wine list and lunch transcript:
Wine List
Champagne
Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic

White Wines
Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005
Sebastiani Sonoma County Chardonnay 2005

Red Wines
Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet Sauvignon 2002
Chateau De Mercey Bourgogne Hautes Cotes de Beaune 2005
Laroche Vina Punto Alta Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Port
Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2000

Lunch
Starters
Salmon and tuna terrine with asparagus, tomato salsa, and wasabi mayonnaise
Mixed salad of tomatoes with honey French dressing (not really – lemon vinaigrette)

Main Courses
Stir-fried Seafood with green onion and ginger
Egg fried rice, pak choy and mushrooms
Or
Pan-seared beef tenderloin on shallot confit, parsnip mash
Beans, carrots and cherry tomatoes
Or
Soya Chicken and barbecued pork
Steamed rice and Kailan with Braised Mushroom
Or
Porcini Ravioli with artichoke and spinach cream sauce

Cheese and Dessert
Cheese Selection
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Chocolate cheesecake with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee
Pralines

Snacks
Sandwich Selection
Wontons in Noodle Soup
Barbecued Pork Bun
Haagen Dazs Ice Cream

The meal started strong with a nice salmon appetizer, and a nice fresh salad consisted of mainly lettuce, green and yellow tomato wedges, as well as some crispy green, red, and yellow pepper strips, with a healthy fat-free lemon vinaigrette, and the bread basket consists of garlic bread, focaccia with sun-dried tomato, and whole grain rolls. However the entrée was disappointing at best, and the stir fried seafood has literally two pieces of shrimps and two pieces of scallops… not even fish fillets or more contents. Should have gone with the barbecued pork & soy sauce chicken on rice! The entrée selections were honestly a bit un-premium class. The cheese board has cheddar, Port salut and cambozola, along with crackers and grapes. The fruit plate features pineapple, watermelon, melon, and cantaloupe. The cheesecake was nice.

After dinner, I took a four hours nap, and then watched television a bit. My PTV was broken half way through, but I can just use the PTV on the adjacent seat. After watching a few local Hong Kong and Taiwanese programs, supper began around two hours prior to arrival.

At 1:26amPST/4:25pm HK time, lights were switched on, and then hot towels and juices were passed out. I had a nice glass of mango smoothie and the final meal began.

Here is the transcript:

Dinner
Starter
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Main Courses
Grilled Pork Chop with Barley and Sweet Corn
Or
Stir-fried rainbow beef
Steamed Rice, pak choy and mushroom
Or
Abalone clam and mushroom congee
Accompanied by spring onion pancake

Dessert
Fresh Fruit Flan

Tea and Coffee
Pralines

885-31119J/3120/3121J<A~O/07>

The fruit plate has watermelon (good), melon (not so good), pineapple, and (sour) strawberry, and then breadbasket has the same garlic bread and wheat rolls. The entrée was okay, as I have the abalone clam and mushroom congee, with some spring onion pancakes (the Taiwanese airlines still master those Chinese congee and dim sum dishes a bit better), and then the fresh fruit flan to add dinner. It is a good light meal prior to arrival.

We landed on R/W25R at 6:31pm, and parked at gate 2 at 6:45pm. I saw something a bit unusual – two Air Canada’s Airbus A340-300s at the same time and both in new color – C-FYLU was at the remote parking stand, and C-GDVZ was unloading at gate 29 arriving from YVR. Then I saw the usual Air New Zealand’s Boeing 747-400 ZK-NBT pushing back for its last leg back to AKL, and Swiss’ Airbus A340-300 HB-JMG taking a break at the remote stand.

Thanks Seraphina and her team for a much better return experience!

Carfield
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Carfield
Hi all,

Here is just a brief report on my return flight on CX 885, which is a much better flight, and thanks to the wonderful crew, as well as the purser, Seraphina Tang, who I had a great conversation with, and sorry for taking up some of her resting time. I definitely hope to be one another of her flight in the future.
You had my crew! I flew HKG-LAX on Saturday with Seraphina. I recall the name well since the captain made it a point to say it on the PA several times during our flight.

I sat upstairs in 81K I think. Service was great as I slept through the dinner having eaten in the Wing. But much later in the flight at around 8pm HKG time I wanted to eat. Seraphina said that all the J food was done but she would get me something from First class. So I had a nice F Fish dinner. ^

Unfortunately I didn't get much sleep with the sliding J seat, but that was my only real complaint about CX long haul.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL silver and UA silver
Smile To Carfield

Thanks for your trip report. Could I know your flight was J or F class?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 3:44 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bearteacher
Thanks for your trip report. Could I know your flight was J or F class?
By looking at the pictures, it's Business class.

Thanks Carfield for the excellent review as always.^
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:23 pm

I must say the business class salad and entree does look rather skimpy, and I'm also surprised there is no soup.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Nice report Carfield!

One question. When CX's daily daytime SFO departure begins in October, will you be connecting via SFO as oppose to LAX for your future west coast transpacific journey with CX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.