Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Impressions of QF/BA/CX/AK - a mix of Y, Y+, J and LCC respectively!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impressions of QF/BA/CX/AK - a mix of Y, Y+, J and LCC respectively!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by 1P
Sorry about that. Was misled by the details: "mid-J config, behind F but in front of Club", etc. Sounds pretty much like where J or C class would be in other carriers, and, as you say, the seat looks like a C seat. Does BA not have business class anymore?
If that is what a United C/J seat looks like, then I think I will stick with BA .

QF009 this is making great reading.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jul 31, 2007 at 8:09 am
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:13 am
Original Poster

BA9 BKK-SYD, New Generation Club World
Scheduled departure – 1810
Actual departure – 1836
Aircraft – B747-400 (mid J config)
Seat – 20B

Pre-flight
I deplaned from my CX flight just as the climax of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows was nearing. I was keen to get my onward boarding passes as quickly as I could in order to rush off to the lounge for some quality reading. Little did I know that I was in for a little more excitement than what I’d expected.

The queue at the QF/BA transfer desks was extremely long as they had to handle 2 busy flights simultaneously. I continued devouring my novel as I waited in line. It was my turn to check in after 30 minutes of queuing. I couldn’t help but continue to sneak in several pages of the almost literally spell-binding book. When the BPs for both BKK-SYD and SYD-MEL were shoved under my nose, the first thing I noticed was that my seat 11J on BA9 was replaced with 20B.

Not having been used to the mid J config’s seat numbering and suffering from a bout of seat snatching paranoia, my immediate reaction was to stare blankly at the check in agent and asked what happened to my original seat. She chuckled, and advised me to take a closer look at the BP. It was then I saw that not only was the BP in nice BA tones of blue, but under the ‘class’ column was a nice ‘J.’

“A nice surprise for you, sir!” said the check in agent cheerily. I felt both like a zillion dollars and like the biggest idiot in the world for not noticing an op up at the first instance at that point. I thanked her profusely, and made my way towards the joint QF/BA J lounge in concourse G.

The lounge was a huge improvement over what CX had to offer at BKK. The décor was sleek and sophisticated, with a generous dose of class. The layout was extremely well-organised, in a way that made the lounge seemed spacious, yet privacy was in abundance with heaps of cozy spaces to work or relax in. Drinks wise there was a choice between two reds (a Rhone cab franc and a Rosemount estate cab sauv – both cheap and nasty unfortunately), a white (can’t remember what it was), and the bubbly was Green Point by Domaine Chandon, a perfectly quaffable pre-flight beverage.

I simply had to hop on to the net to broadcast the great news of my op up to family and friends, putting Harry Potter aside for the first time that day for a more pressing mission to fulfill.

The lounge became quite full with 2 744 loads of pax (QF2 and BA9). I eventually had to share my table with a woman who made herself very much at home by resting both her feet on the table. As politely as I could I made known of my disgust; initially she was quite determined to persist, but she eventually experienced what seemed like delayed epiphany and perhaps enlightenment on the difference between a table and a foot stool. Eventually the lounge was emptied of half its occupants, including Ms Feet-On-Table, when the boarding call for QF2 was made.

Boarding
The boarding call for BA9 was well-timed as the gate area was completely empty when I arrived. Yet I knew it was a busy flight due to my op up which could only have been caused by an oversold flight. Boarding full flights at BKK can be trying at the best of times, with a congested gate lounge filled to the brim with stressed out pax all trying to push through two small doors. The sight of a gate entirely devoid of people was thus refreshing.

To be continued…

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 31, 2007 at 12:14 pm
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:12 am
Original Poster

I apologise for the significantly diminished quality of the pictures for this part of the report, reason for which will be apparent in a bit. So here goes…

I was once again greeted by name at the entrance to the aircraft. When boarding BA in Y, W or J in the past, I’d only be given directions to my seat without being addressed by name. On this trip I’ve been addressed by name when flying both W and J and been given a ‘welcome back’, which somewhat restored my faith in intra-alliance shiny card recognition on BA.

Eagerly anticipating my first NGCW experience, I chuckled remembering that just a few days before I was looking very enviously at trip reports about this new cabin and wondering glumly about when it’d be my turn to check it out. This was it I thought… finally being able to try a new product that’s been much hyped about.

Also, this would be the flight which I finished reading my Harry Potter novel, 35 hours after its release or 30 hours after purchasing the book. Hey cut me some slack – there’ve been numerous distractions along the way.

We had to delay take off in order to avoid breaking curfew at SYD.

Seat/Cabin

My immediate observation upon settling into the seat was the extra cushioning. This made the seat most comfy for both lounging and sleeping. However the floppiness of the seat was a let down. It was readily felt in flat bed mode, particularly when we flew through turbulent weather.

The new blanket was thick and snuggly, however I did not use it for most of the flight as the cabin temperature was a bit on the high side.

Contrary to most trip reporters, I did not find the tray table flimsy. Then again the only activities I undertook on the table were eating, drinking, and the completion of the landing card.

The privacy screen worked a treat, despite being a little noisy. My neighbour in 20A looked like he was in his own little suite when the screen was up as his seat had its own aisle access. 20A looks like a seat I’d go for if I have to select a seat on the main deck; the privacy and direct aisle access negates the fact that it’s a window seat.

Service

Now I am not sure how to approach concerns about service when I’m an op up, which partially explains the delay in this part of my TR as I struggle in my attempt to present it in the most appropriate manner and avoid looking like an ungrateful prick. I was extremely grateful to BA for the upgrade, however I was not sure if I’ve to expect to be treated like a second class citizen. I am writing specifically about the purser of the main deck Club cabin. Again I do wish to stress that I am very grateful to BA for the upgrade, and that my concerns are directed solely at said purser as the rest of the team were immaculate.

First I was asked by the aforementioned crew member to cease taking pictures of the cabin. I readily agreed that I ought to wait till people have disembarked, as I’ve experienced the same thing with several other airlines which seem to have the same privacy policy thingy. I was also granted permission to take pictures that do not involve other pax such as my meals.

Then shortly before take off, the same individual came around to my seat and practically announced to the cabin that I was an op up, and promptly banned me from taking any pictures period. Her tone was extremely aggressive and threatening. I do not know what brought on the complete change in attitude as I cannot recall trying to argue with her. I also spent the rest of the flight enduring her glares whenever I tried to help myself to Club Kitchen. It was as if I’ve self-opped up or something.

My consolation was that apart from all that, I had no further interaction with her the entire flight as a different crew member was servicing my aisle. Her colleagues were significantly nicer people fortunately.

I am wondering if there is some code of conduct for opped up pax on BA, similar to folks on industry discount tickets, that I’d unknowingly breached by taking pictures of the cabin. Even if that’s indeed the case, I do still feel that the purser could’ve been nicer about it. I fully expected some things to be different as an op up, like having rev pax prioritised in meal service, but I did not appreciate being treated in that fashion.

Nonetheless I tried not to let her unpleasantness dampen the experience and to BA’s credit – the rest of the main deck Club crew rendered exemplary service. I had generous top ups of drinks at my seat even though I could’ve DIYed at Club Kitchen.

And to salvage some pics for this report, I had to go into stealth mode (with flash off) for the rest of the flight, only whipping out my camera when the purser wasn’t around. The rest of the crew didn’t seem to care that I was taking pictures.

Catering

Menu:
DINNER

Starters
Marinated king prawns with ginger mayonaise

or

*Mozzarella cheese, sun-dried tomatoes and grilled artichokes with pesto dressing

*French seasonal salad served with vinaigrette

Main
Parmesan pork Schnitzel with tomato salsa, roast vegetables and creamed potatoes

Seared salmon with linguini pasta tossed in alfredo sauce

Vegetable curry with bok choy and steamed rice

*Main course Caesar salad with char-grilled chicken and garlic croutons

Dessert
Creme carmel

Red Cheddar and Camembert cheese with crackers

A selection of fruit

DRINKS

Complimentary bar serving alcoholic beverages and soft drinks is available throughout the flight. See inserted wine list for today's selection

Ground coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas - peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey

CLUB KITCHEN

Between meals, please help yourself to a drink or tasty snack. Please visit the Club Kitchen and help yourself to the selection on display.

Snack salads, sandwiches, filled rolls and wraps

Fresh fruit salads and fruit smoothies or juice

Choice of luxury cakes

Crisps and chocolate (including organic chocolate)

If seated in the upper deck, you can visit the Club Kitchen downstairs.

BREAKFAST

Starters
Chilled orange juice
*An energising fruit smoothie
*Fresh seasonal fruit

or

Birchermuesli
Fruit yoghurt

Bakery
Warm bacon roll
Selection of warm breads and breakfast pastries

Drinks

Ground coffee, decaffeinated coffee or tea

Selection of herbal teas - peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey

*"Well Being in the Air" selection - please refer to High Life for details.
We apologise if your first choice is not available.
Drinks list:
WINES

White

Tamar Ridge Chardonnay 2004, Tasmania
Voyager Estate Sauvignon Blanc Semillon 2006, Margaret River
Pouilly-Fume Les Pierres Blanches 2005, Domaine Masson-Blondelet

Red

Chapel Hill Cabernet Sauvignon 2002, McLaren Vale, Coonawarra
Chateau Arnauld 2004, Cru Bourgeois Haut-Medoc

Champagne

Champagne cocktails

Kir Royale
Buck's Fizz

Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top Blue Reserve Champagne
The meals looked average at first glance but turned out to be quite tasty. The pork schnitzel was mouth-meltingly delicious.

The two red wines were perfect accompaniments to the meal. Despite what’s been said on FT, I’ve always thought that the Monopole was quite nice. It may be low-end as far as champers goes, but it does the trick for me.

Club Kitchen was good for mid-flight munchies. The offerings were a lot more substantial than ‘Raid the Larder’ but I did not want to push my luck with the purser shooting dagger stares my way (‘if looks could kill…’) and only took away a few chocolate bars.

Amenity kit

I was mildly disappointed with the new kit. The kit itself did not look as aesthetically pleasing as the older style kits. And thanks to the Age of Liquid and Gels Paranoia (and probably pressure from the bean counters), BA thought it best to trim down the size of its bottles of Molton Brown goodies to tiny tubes. The kit consisted of a lip balm, some moisturizers, a face wipe, an eyeshade, ear plugs, as well as the obligatory toothbrush and toothpaste. Still reasonably comprehensive nonetheless.

IFE

The AVOD-enabled IFE did not work for most of the flight. I was aware that it worked for a bit at the initial stages of the flight but collapsed totally after some resetting was done to it. A pity as the screen looked pretty cool.

Apart from the nasty purser, I did enjoy my first NGCW flight. Despite some flaws, the new seat is a great improvement over the old one in the comfort stakes. Club Kitchen looks very good and I hope to check it out properly on my next NGCW experience, which will likely be on my DONE4.

Last edited by Keith009; Aug 6, 2007 at 8:41 am
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:13 am
Original Poster

QF415 SYD-MEL, Economy
Scheduled dep – 0800
Actual dep – 0817
Aircraft – B737-800
Seat – 13A

CIQ wasn’t too bad that morning and I even had time for the domestic QP before getting on to the flight home. I had some juice, surfed the net, and could not help but giggle at the completely erroneous speculation over the ending of the new Harry Potter novel on the tele by some primary school kids who were still plodding their way through the book.

I was happy to have been given an emergency exit row seat at BKK even without having to ask. The flight was completely full which meant I could not move to an aisle seat. It was nice having the extra space anyway. It was also suits galore, which left me feeling distinctly underdressed.

I slept for much of the flight, waking only to munch on my breakfast. I like the bacon and egg muffin that now feature on Cityflyer brekkie flights.

Soon I was back in Marvelous Melbourne. Although nothing beats the feeling of being home, I still groaned inwardly at the thought of another bout of work, and another semester of essays and exams. On the way back to my flat, I couldn’t help but cast my eyes to my Next Long Vacation…

THE END

I hope you’ve all enjoyed the TR as much as I’ve enjoyed preparing it. I appreciate all your nice words thus far as these things do take time to write and present.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

I also got a few PMs inquiring about deplaning of mid J Club pax at SYD. You do tend to forget these things when you're an op up and all is merry. Unfortunately only 1 door is used at SYD and hence main deck J pax deplane after F, upper deck J AND W pax. It took a fair while to get off the aircraft, almost as long as the first few rows of Y. I won't rehash all the arguments against the mid J config in that regard, except that I'd have been pretty annoyed had I actually paid for a Club ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:54 am

Great report!

I've always had great admiration for the FTers that take pictures in the cabin, lounges, etc. Plus it makes the report so much better.

Cheers
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:09 am

QF009, interesting report thanks

I will be travelling WTP soon on a mid j from LHR to SYD. The online seatmap shows 11a,b to be infront of a bulkhead with a cot behind on 12a ? do you remember this ? (trying to chose best options 12j,k or 11a,b)
Thanks !
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helix
I will be travelling WTP soon on a mid j from LHR to SYD. The online seatmap shows 11a,b to be infront of a bulkhead with a cot behind on 12a ? do you remember this ? (trying to chose best options 12j,k or 11a,b)
Thanks !
I don't recall seeing a cot at 12a.
Row 11 is definitely the bulkhead/bassinet row. Think row 17 on low j.

I highly recommend 11ABJK.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 2:40 am

Thank you

Strange how the seat map shows a cot behind seat 11a at 12a, also at 12f and 11k

I am concerned that i wont be able to stretch my legs ! (6ft)
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helix
Thank you
No worries, and welcome to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.