Wiki Posts
Search

Good Karma with Continental BusinessFirst. CMH-TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Good Karma with Continental BusinessFirst. CMH-TLV

Preface
I knew that a summer vacation would be a good idea. I’d toyed with several options: Greece, Portugal, Venezuela… but it occurred to me that I’d rather just go back to Israel.

I was deliberating and happened to go to my synagogue on Yom Hatzmaut. This included singing of “Bashana Haba’a.” I got a little choked up. “Okay,” I thought, “I got the message.”

Unfortunately, El Al tickets were insanely expensive ($4500), and most of the available flights were Delta codeshare flights through Atlanta. I would have preferred El Al, but it wasn’t worth an extra two grand. So I settled on Continental.

Day of Departure
My gorgeous boyfriend lay his hand on my thigh. “I’m sorry I’m not going with you,” he sighed, “but I have to go to a modeling shoot and build houses for the homeless. But when you come back, we’ll share my trust fund.”

Okay so maybe that part didn’t actually happen, but it seems fair to add a bit of fantasy to trip reports.

Columbus
There were no signs of unusual security measures at CMH. In fact, the airport was largely deserted, the drop-off lane did not have any barking guards or police, and there was no wait at all to check in. A friendly agent checked my passport and tagged my bags, but I did have to prompt him to affix a priority tag.

Security was perhaps the easiest it’s ever been at CMH. There was no wait, the contract ID checker smiled and wished me a pleasant week. The TSA staff said hello and smiled. There were no orders, no barking, it was as if I’d stumbled upon a completely new airport.

Once inside the secured area, I realized that I’d left my belt at home (I usually store it in my carry-on.) So I fired up my computer and looked at the Port Columbus Airport web site to see if there were any clothing stores. Voilá! Brooks Brothers outside security. Although the belt was a whopping $78, it matched my clothes, the saleswoman was kind, and I once again sailed through security without any unpleasantness. I was in disbelief.

2 July 2007 CO3074 CMH-EWR ERJ-145 Seat 12B
This flight was very empty… perhaps 15 passengers total. This made for expeditious boarding and departure. Given the layout of the airport, the taxi was speedy, and we encountered no delays en route. Yet again… good travel karma.

As we took off, we actually passed over my synagogue. I suppose that was some sort of messgae.

The flight attendant was best described as an slimy lunatic yutz. I believe his hair was in a bun. His announcements featured a Jimmy Buttafuoco accent, with comments like “and if your bag is too big to be put in the overhead compartment, there will be no questions from you and I will check it to its final destination.” Thanks Jimmy. The arrival speech in Newark was lengthy, including details for connections to “Italia” and “Singapore.” He also mentioned "your New Jersey-based crew."

Newark
I dreaded the special “secure gate” concept for Tel Aviv flights. I had no idea if this would involve questioning, frisking, prostate examinations, or a game of “truth or dare.” My fears were unfounded. There was a passport check, the world’s most cursory carry-on bag inspection, and a very fast wanding. The staff were Huntleigh (i.e. dirt cheap), but cheerful and polite. No barking, shoes and jackets stayed on, no liquid issues.

There was a lengthy line for document checks. I didn’t bother waiting in line. The BusienssFirst concierge, Cynthia, actually made an announcement for BF passengers, and she took care of everything instantly. Due to a 40-minute delay, Cynthia suggested that I go back to the President’s Club and put my feet up. “You don’t need to wait in ‘all of this,’ she said.”

The delay turned into an hour, so I enjoyed free wireless access and a lot of ice water at the club. There wasn’t much to eat: crackers and processed cheese or apples. But it’s hard to fault Continental; the club was open and relaxing with maybe 10-12 people ther.

2 July 2007 CO90 EWR-TLV 777-200 Seat 9K
Boarding was hell, as one might expect. There was one “red coat” checking boarding cards, facing a mob of delayed passengers. The “Elite Access” is helpful throughout the Continental system—except for this flight. The gate area was such a zoo. I just did my best to wait patiently and board as soon as I could.

There were no additional displays of security: no random Jetway inspections. And the captain—thankfully—did not make any “show of force” statements about obeying his "authoratah" or waiting in aisles. In fact, he sounded welcoming and friendly. And plenty of passengers waited in aisles for bathrooms or to stretch. It was overall quite a relaxed atmosphere.

Once on board, all was fine. I’d picked 9K out of seatguru.com, mostly because I like missed the smaller second BusinessElite cabin on the Delta 767-300s.

The seat was reasonably comfortable, but not a huge change from the 767 BusinessFirst seat, which I’d experienced many times. Amenity kits and menus arrived shortly after I sat down, as well as some much needed water.

The 11 cabin crew on this flight were unexpectedly friendly, well-dressed, and professional. The purser, Ann, seemed a bit brusque and robotic, but everyone else seemed happy.

I’d heard that Tel Aviv was very junior—nobody wanted to deal with the demanding passengers—but that did not appear to be the case. There were two “speakers,” so announcements were in Hebrew and English. Additional recorded safety information was in Arabic as well.

After a brief maintenance delay, we departed about one hour late. The flight time, however, was an astonishingly short 9 hours 5 minutes. The taxi at midnight was very quick, and we took off toward Nova Scotia, Framce, Italy, and Greece.

There were only a few takers for dinner in my cabin. I downed a couple of aperitifs (actually I consumed all of the Campari that was loaded on the flight.) Somehow I wanted something colder and stronger than wine.

Dinner itself was surprisingly good. The salad was impressively fresh and crispy. The salmon was kind of a dud, but I’ve had worse. The pasta was just a tiny bit congealed, but it tasted great.

The menu, for those interested, was as follows:
TO BEGIN

Warm roasted nuts
served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

LATE NIGHT SUPPER

APPETIZER SALAD

Fresh field greens and Belgian endive
with cherry tomato, goat cheese and pecans

Offered with your choice of balsamic vinaigrette
or buttermilk ranch dressing

For your enjoyment, smoked, peppered Atlantic salmon
and salmon roulade with cream cheese may be added to your salad

Freshly baked garlic cheese loaf and assorted rolls with butter

MAIN COURSES

The Chef’s Selection
Veal osso bucco presented over rice pilaf,
garnished with lemon zest and fresh parsley
Sautéed broccoli rabe Fresh broccolini

Herbed Breast of Chicken
Topped with thinly sliced air-dried beef,
marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese
Grilled Roma tomato Sautéed baby spinach Lyonnaise potatoes

Grilled Halibut
Herb-crusted halibut and rosemary shrimp enhanced by lobster sauce,
with stewed artichoke hearts, roasted red tomatoes
and fine green beans

Manicotti Florentine Pasta Bowl
Manicotti filled with fresh spinach and creamy ricotta,
Parmesan and feta cheeses,
complemented by Saluté sauce and mozzarella cheese

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta

FRUIT AND CHEESE PLATE

Select American and imported cheeses
accompanied by grapes and crackers, served with Port wine

DESSERT CART

Featuring Edy’s Classic Grand vanilla ice cream
offered with your choice of toppings
or warm fruit cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream

Fresh Brew® gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee
made exclusively for Continental Airlines
Tea with your choice of milk or lemon

Enjoy a cup of freshly brewed Emilio Caffč Italian Espresso or Cappuccino
available exclusively in BusinessFirst on our 777 and 767 aircraft.

BREAKFAST

Will be offered prior to arrival

A selection of juices

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit yogurt

Assorted breads
including warm croissants and cinnamon and crusty rolls
with butter and strawberry preserves

•••••

Scrambled Eggs with Herbs
Accompanied by potatoes au gratin,
sautéed mushroom caps and a cherry tomato

Selected Cereal
Served with milk and a banana

•••••
I should explain… I’d seen patients all morning, bicycled too and from work, and didn’t have time for lunch. I’d eaten some sort of vile strawberry-flavored oatmeal that I found in our break room, along with “granola bites,” which seemed like dog food. So this was some of the best airplane food I’d ever eaten. An economy class low-sodium “snack” meal from Kyrgyistan Airways would have probably been just as good.

Actually, I'd contemplated ordering a special meal because the online menu looked pretty gross. Continental does not, however offer vegetarian meals--just vegan. I was really glad I didn't order anything special when I saw the kosher meals, which looked like something out of a junior high school cafeteria. (Presumably a Jewish junior high school, but junior high nonetheless.)

Due to the small number of diners, this was a remarkably rapid BusinessFirst dinner—delicious sundae and all.

After the last bite of the sundae, I konked out. I woke up a few times as I often due on airplanes, but I generally slept well.

The woman seated next to me slept well too. “See,” she said, “you sleep well on these planes. I always fly Continental. But it’s not this way in the back.” No kidding.

Although the omelet and fried potatoes looked inviting, I was still too full from dinner. So I had a fruit plate, cinnamon roll, OJ, and some fairly good coffee.

After what felt like a 2.5 hour flight, we were on short final. The words, “Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to Tel Aviv and Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport” were music to my ears. I amazed myself at how choked-up I became to see the Israeli shoreline.

Tel Aviv
There was perhaps a 10-minute wait at immigration. The immigration officer was not terribly nice.

“Are you here for business or pleasure?”

“Pleasure.”

“What do you mean by THAT?”

Fortunately my internal censor kicked in, but I had the urge to say, “You asked the question b***h.” She did not like the fact that I was there alone, not visiting friends, nor that I had self-researched where I was going to go in Israel.

She sort of said, “Well, we’ll let it pass this time. But you had better make more friends.”

I much preferred the woman last time who asked, “You come for alone pleasure?” That still makes me chuckle.

Baggage came out another 10 minutes later, and there seem to be some attention to priority tags.

I hopped in a taxi to go to Jerusalem, having learned a lesson the hard way about taking a Sherut. This was only a marginal improvement. The taxi driver got lost multiple times, and he had a hot, smelly taxi with the passenger seat jamming into my knees. He blamed the bad directions on Palestinians. "This wasn't about the Arab/Israeli conflict, this was about you getting lost," I thought. Next time, I’m taking a helicopter to Jerusalem.

The Regency Hotel Jerusalem
A friend of mine in America used to work at the Regency, so I had stayed there before. It’s quite cheap, has an amazing gym, and a great view.

It looks like the spruced it up since my last visit. The woman at the reception desk noted that I’d been to the Regency before (I don’t know how she knew that). And I received a room on the executive floor, despite having paid a very low rate. This featured a spectacular view, free use of the gym, mineral water, cookies, and a nice bed. Yet again, good travel karma so far… not including the immigration lady and the taxi driver.

As I write this, I’m enjoying a late night dinner in the lobby.
Old Jul 3, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report and very entertaining! Thanks a lot!^
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Jerusalem
What more can I say? It means the world to me to walk around the Old City. I met another solo traveler at the Kotel and we spent much of the day touring around. The weather was flawless, and I got to visit a few new places.

When good karma goes wrong… the auto rental
I’d had a relatively good experience with Sixt in the past, so I booked with them again. I knew where the office was located, and—sure enough—the woman at the counter remembered me. Then it fell apart.

The couldn’t find my reservation, so they weren’t going to honor the rate or conditions of the rental, despite the fact that I had a printout of the confirmation. Furthermore, I learned that the office where I intended to return the car in Tel Aviv would be closed. This was contrary to the Sixt web site and my reservation.

I took a deep breath and agreed to the “new” reservation. At least they had a car there. I figured that I could always dispute the charge later if there was a vast discrepancy between the reservation and the actual cost. To be fair, the Sixt staff were tremendously apologetic and did what they could to resolve the situation quickly.

Since Sixt ran out of GPS “players,” they arranged for a private GPS rental agency to give me a model for rental. I had to pay the extortionate 3-day minimum, but there was no way I would drive around Israel without some electronic guidance.

The drive to Zefat: How nice Jewish boys get killed
The “Fembot” in the GPS computer was somehow an agent of Iranian Jihadist Revolutionaries. In addition, she had a really bad case of ADD and forgot to taker her Adderall.

Trying to leave Jerusalem took an hour due to traffic and the Fembot’s rapidly-changing instructions. I eventually got on the highway north. But the psycho terrorist Fembot seemed convinced that I wanted to visit a variety of Arab settlements. “Turn right,” she’d say, and I’d suddenly be in an area with a lot of checkpoints.

I think I was too insecure. I noticed that the map would seem to suggest another way, but the Fembot seemed so convincing and authoritative.

I knew the Fembot was up to something when I hit a distant checkpoint that did not feature an Israeli flag. Let’s just say it was a green, red, and black flag that made me really anxious.

Trying to get back on track, I made it to another checkpoint, at least Israeli in nature, when a soldier almost laughed in my face. “It’s really dangerous over here; these are the Arab territories.” No kidding. “You’re in luck,” he said, and gave me simple directions. I think the Fembot muttered, “Die you Zionist Infiltrator."

Once my blood pressure returned to a level compatible with human life, I enjoyed the remainder of the more familiar drive along the Jordan River and Kineret. I shut the Fembot.

Dinner with Dovster
I sent an email to Dovster shortly before my trip, inviting him to drinks. I was delighted that he accepted my invitation. Dovster was willing to drive in his Fembot-free car, and we enjoyed a dinner with a view at a nearby Arab restaurant.

Dovster is just as bright, interesting, and insightful in person as he is in writing. Perhaps I’m a more standoffish FlyerTalker, so I felt rather shy about meeting up. It ended up being a great idea. Dovster taught me a fair bit about Israel, and he answered my questions about traveling, Israeli politics, and he didn’t ridicule my horrible Hebrew.

If I play my cards right, I will get to join Dovster, among others, at the FlyerTalk meet in October.

The Villa Galilee, Zefat
If one follows “star ratings” and internet reviews, the Villa Galilee is described as equivalent to the Lincoln Bedroom. It is a nice boutique hotel. It does not, however, have a particularly nice view. The rooms are well-appointed and the staff friendly, but I didn’t find it to be mind-blowing.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: BA
An excellent light-hearted yet, informative report ^^^
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Good info and funny.. thanks for the report.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:37 am
Original Poster

The drive back
Paying little attention to the Fembot, I drove according to the map and enjoyed the nice scenery down the road to Haifa and on to Tel Aviv. I came close to running out of gas, but that was a minor detail. The Israeli self-service gas stations ask for one’s license plate and “ID” number. I tried a few: my ATM pin code, then my social security number. Bingo. That would never fly in America, but it worked for me.

The Dan Tel Aviv
In my characteristic cynicism, I thought to myself, “I loved the Dan so much last time, what if it sucks this time and it ruins my memories?

That did not come true. When I checked in, I was advised that I had been upgraded to a “club suite” with a Jacuzzi in it. Oh gee. That sounded tough. (Don’t tell the Fembot). The room was almost as big as my apartment, and the bed was enough for about four people…. So maybe four Israeli soldiers and me (ha ha).

I enjoyed two and a half fantastic days in Tel Aviv and Yafo. The weather was flawless, I met many kind Sabras, and got more than a little tan.

The Dan was just amazing. The head of “guest services” stopped by my table at breakfast to talk about my opinions of the Dan. I told her—as I had said before—that if I ever get married, I want my honeymoon to be at that hotel.

Ben Gurion AirportI was deeply concerned about running late, knowing that the Israeli airports frown upon tardiness. Of course I dawdled. But I made it to the airport 2 hours and 45 minutes prior to departure.

Prior to entering the airport, a friendly security woman looked at my passport, asked where I came from and where I was going, then wished me a pleasant flight. I'd never been stopped like this before, but it took all of 5 seconds.

I’m still terrified of the security interview… that somehow they would pounce on me like the nasty woman at immigration. This fear was groundless, since I had no problem at my last visit.

I am quite a short person, and the security woman came up to my shoulders. She was bubbly, friendly, and complimented my Hebrew. She had only a handful of questions—barely any more than in Europe. Another agent swabbed my bags while I waited in line, then it was off to check-in. I was not asked to have anything scanned, and earned the letter "tsadee" on my sticker. That must be a less extensive check than the “kaf” I got last time. Considering that the Israeli guy in front of me also got the tsadee treatment, I felt like it was a compliment.

There was no wait at check-in. The guy at the desk looked like he was maybe 15 years old. I had to explain that my seat for the connecting flight on a 737, 1E, was not really a middle seat. He was baffled, but eventually agreed. He warned me twice about liquids and gels. They must have issues with that.

Security involved a lengthy wait by Ben Gurion standards (15 minutes), but this was due to a snippy Mexican woman who insisted that she had special film that was sensitive to x-rays. Oh please, Señora, go digital. As usual, the security people were cheerful and the actual walk through the metal detector and x-ray was far quicker than the TSA… mostly because they spend more time doing their jobs and less time following stupid rules.

Passport control also involved a 15-minute wait, but all of the positions were open, and the woman at the desk had no comments (or nasty questions.)

Then it was off for a bit of shopping and the Dan Lounge. The Lounge is quite small, compared to the much prettier El Al lounge. The staff were friendly and the chairs comfortable, but there are no bathrooms! I'm mostly entertained sitting in this lounge right now... a guy sitting across from me is surfing an online dating site. Should I tell him to email the blond girl?

Last edited by Mats; Jul 9, 2007 at 4:18 pm
Old Jul 9, 2007, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

The good karma continues…
2 July 2007 CO85 TLV-EWR 777-200 Seat 9K

I did eventually find the miniscule bathrooms at the Dan Lounge, both of which were in use.

It was a short walk down to gate C7, where the Boeing Sheva-Sheva-Sheva awaited. Boarding was, of course, a mad house. Israelis aren’t terribly familiar with the concept of waiting in line, and this flight was no exception. Although there was the typical “Elite Access” blue carpet, this carried little meaning. It would require about 30 Continental representatives to enforce that.

I was amused by a couple rather obviously from the Tri-State Area (I don’t want to name names, but their state of origin rhymes with “Boo Kersey.”) This couple made a huge fuss about cutting to the front of the Elite line. “Show them the cawd,” she kept saying, “the Elite cawd.” Although they cut in front of me, I noticed that they were seated in the rear of the Sheva Sheva Sheva.

As is typical in Tel Aviv, there is no secondary inspection for flights. They get security right the first time and don’t mess with you later on. There isn’t even a passport check. A few Continental agents asked boarding passengers about liquids, but there was no actual inspection.

Once on board, a kind Israeli flight attendant welcomed me aboard in Hebrew. Menus and amenity kits arrived in short order.

And now the kicker: there was one empty seat in the BusinessFirst cabin, and it was next to me. As much as I was deeply saddened to leave Israel, it was nice to travel in exceptional comfort.

What’s more, this was one of the brand-new Sheva Sheva Sheva’s with on-demand video. And it is fantastic! About 300 movies, not to mention TV shows, games, and music. It really is impressive.

After an expeditious taxi, we flew directly over the City Center and the hotel strip on Ha-Yarkon Street. I tried to cheer myself up… hey, at least I’d see my dog when I got back to America.

Announcements were extremely brief on this flight. The purser and captain were friendly and concise. Once again, there were no snippy comments about standing in aisles or obeying the crew. Nor were there shameless plugs for “Refreshing Coca-Cola products.”

The crew were professional and polite, but not friendly. It appeared to be a fairly senior crew. they were typical of Continental: they do their jobs, they're nice about it, but they don't go out of their way to be hepful or amiable.

It’s odd to see so much treif on the menu (shellfish in particular. They do state on the menu that pork is not served, but that’s—you know—only one aspect of the kashrut dietary laws.)
TO BEGIN

Warm roasted nuts
served with your preferred cocktail or beverage

APPETIZER CART

Baby shrimp wrapped with smoked salmon
accompanied by horseradish sauce

Foie gras parfait with fig
garnished with green grapes and oranges

SALAD

Mesclun salad mix with tomatoes,
cucumbers, red onion rings and julienned red bell pepper

Offered with your choice of tomato and thyme vinaigrette
or buttermilk ranch dressing

Freshly baked bread and assorted rolls with butter

MAIN COURSES

The Chef’s Selection
Grilled New York strip steak accented by garlic butter
Green asparagus spears Buttered baby carrots
Mashed potatoes

Roasted Duck
Roasted breast of duck with sautéed onions
complemented by balsamic cherry sauce
Baby carrots, fine green beans and roasted parsnips
Celery root purée

Halibut Bouillabaisse
Seared fillet of halibut in a rich seafood stew,
served over white wine risotto
Sautéed baby fennel

Pasta Bowl
Ravioli filled with cheese and basil
enhanced by creamy and red pesto sauces,
topped with toasted pine nuts

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese will be offered with your pasta

FRUIT AND CHEESE

Select European cheeses accompanied by fresh fruit,
assorted gourmet crackers and rolls, served with Port wine

DESSERT CART

Featuring vanilla ice cream offered with your choice of toppings
or warm fruit cobbler topped with vanilla ice cream

Fresh Brew® gourmet roasted regular and decaffeinated coffee
made exclusively for Continental Airlines
Tea with your choice of milk or lemon

Enjoy a cup of freshly brewed Emilio Caffč Italian Espresso or Cappuccino
available exclusively in BusinessFirst on our 777 and 767 aircraft.

•••••

EXECUTIVE MEAL OPTION

If you should prefer more time to work or relax,
we suggest this meal option, complete with appetizer salad
and hot main course, presented all at once, whenever you wish.
Please choose your main course from the selections on the previous page.

•••••

SKYSNACKSTM

A selection of light snacks and refreshments will be available.

MID-FLIGHT REFRESHMENT

A selection of tea sandwiches

Apple lattice tart

•••••

LIGHT MEAL

Will be offered prior to arrival

Fresh seasonal fruit

Hot Sandwich
Beef tenderloin tips and marinated grilled vegetables
served on a baguette,
offered with herb mustard dipping sauce

Chocolate

The salmon was pretty vile, surrounding miniscule electric pink shrimp. The salad, at least was bearable. The pasta tasted good, albeit rather drenched in olive oil. It had a nice flavor to it though.

The fruit was the best part of the service: fresh plums, mangoes, grapes. Partial as I am to the ice cream, it was largely melted by the time it was served. It also didn’t taste as good as the ice cream ex-Newark. I think they use the Edy’s only on flights out of the US.

I'd tried Continental's cappucino before and had been disappointed. I don't know why I bothered to try again... it was pretty disgusting.

I didn't partake of the midflight sandwiches, but the apple tart was great.

In any event, time passed quickly. I enjoyed the AVOD system, and I finished half of my advanced cardiac life support refresher course. The 11 hour 5 minute flight zoomed by.

Newark
Ah yes, the beautiful gateway to the United States. Customs and Immigration were very busy, but I made it through quickly. As is typical at Continental, they honored the priority tags.

Although there was only a minimal wait at security, they were as obnoxious as ever. Plenty of barking orders, yelling at non-English-speaking guests, and clever questions to newly-arrived tourists like, "Why aren't you MOVING DOWN THE LINE?" Where do they find these dunces?

Then off to the President's Club. Evelyn, the concierge, acted like I was some sort of audacious jerk for daring to enter her club. I then had to waste her valuable gossip time by asking about a shower. This came as a suprise, because typically the President's Club people are some of the nicest employees in the Continental system. Maybe Evelyn is chummy with the Fembot.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Gold; IHG Plat AMB
An interesting and entertaining report! Thanks for coming back and finishing the journey. ^
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Awesome report! I too want to celebrate my honeymoon at the Dan.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:23 am
Original Poster

2 July 2007 CO780 EWR-CMH 737-300 Seat 1E
I headed out of the Presdient's Club only to find that we were delayed an hour. I was so exhausted that I didn't really seem to care or notice. By some twist of fate, our gate was adjacent to flight 90 back to Tel Aviv. I was really tempted to just go right back to Israel.

After yet another 45 minute wait for bags, we eventually pushed back for the 1 hour 15 minute flight. The woman next to me smelled awful, so the flight seemed to go on forever.

I arrived in Columbus to see posted signs saying, "High Risk of Terror Attacks." I found a certain irony in this, having just arrived from the Middle East. What is one supposed to do with this information anyway? Duck? There were also verbal announcements about the "level orange" status. It's like a sick comedy routine.

My bag was perhaps 4th or 5th out of the carousel, and I was--sadly--on my way back to Columbus.

That night, I realized that I left my wash bag, medications, etc. in the Presidents Club. (I think Evelyn hid it just to be mean.) I'm doubtful that I'll see that again. I already did this once earlier this year, leaving my bag, meds, etc. in the bathroom of the 767 between Sao Paulo and Rio. I am so smart S-M-R-T.

Epilogue
Can I go back to Israel tonight? I'm already scheming to get my next trip back. It was once again an emotional, meaningful, and exciting trip.

Thoughts about various travel vendors:

Continental Airlines
They are my preferred US carrier, and they mostly did a good job. It's not the same as flying El Al. Continental has nice seats, mostly good food, professional crews, and a good safety record. But they lack the charm and hospitality of El Al. The new AVOD system is brilliant, and I will look forward to it on future longhaul flights.

The Regency, Jersualem
A great hotel and a bargain. I know, it's famous for being the site of an assassination--but hey--so is the Hilton in DC. They treated me very well, and the view was unbeatable.

The Villa Galille, Zefat, Galil
Ehhh, skip it. Unless you need to be in Zefat for some reason, it wasn't worth going out of one's way. It was nice, but no great shakes.

The Dan Tel Aviv
I'd like to move in. It's probably in the top 2 or 3 hotels I've ever stayed in. Polished service, beautiful rooms, and a perfect location. It's also a pretty good bargain by international standards. I'm ready to go back any time.

SIXT
Beware of the Fembot, that's all I can say. They were certainly friendly, the rate was cheap, but they did try to kill me.

The Musak Ratings
This was a Musak-infested trip. I hate Musak, and there were some real doozies:

Continental (Boarding Music)
(Not technically Musak, since it had lyrics). "Saving the Best for Last" by Vanessa Williams, and "California Girls" by the Beach Boys. Both are particularly cloying and annoying. In the mid 90's they used to have some boarding music by the Indigo Girls--a song about a "fatal crash." (I'm not making this up.)

The Regency Jerusalem
Bette Midler the whole time. "The Wind Beneath My Wings," among other horrors. It was the loudest of all the Musak.

The Villa Galillee
The all Musak version of "Beyond the Sea" by Bobby Darin. I think this should get some sort of Bad Musak Award.

The Dan Tel Aviv
No wonder I like this place. It's Musak-free.

On that "note," thank you for reading. L'hitraot.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Derrico
Good info and funny.. thanks for the report.
I agree. That was incredible the entire trip reports. So did security gave you secondary screening before enter the gate area in EWR? It made sure it is everyone is safe. They need you pat-down by handwand before you are enter the aircraft. I'm sure your flight is doing very well from EWR-TLV. Why you don't take on DL do that next time if you try fly from CMH-ATL-TLV is much easier onto 777 aircraft. Thank you for writing the trip reports.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Always a pleasure to read one of your entertaining and informative reports, Mats. I enjoyed every bit of it except for that small portion about flying in Seat 12B on the ERJ-145. ^^
Old Jul 14, 2007, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Seat 2A,
As I mentioned to Dovster, your trip reports are my favorites, including your most recent trip to Argentina. Sorry to have bored you with the details of the Jungle Jet
-Mats
Old Jul 15, 2007, 3:37 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I depart OTP for TLV in just under a month. Your wonderful trip report made me wish I had already arrived in Israel. Karma = Mazal, but I guess most FTers would better understand the English translation.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 4:06 am

I have flown CO from Geneva to EWR in Y and the food has always been "unedible." Swiss is only a tad better in that regards.
I assume you stayed in the New Wing of the Dan. It looks great. I stayed at the Dan in Haifa with a view of the coast and it was wonderful. Dan Eilat looks nice. Never stayed at the King David (also Dan) but had lunch there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.