South African Airways LHR-JNB in J-class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest

Intro
Usually my company travel policy compels us to fly Skyteam carriers. However, as I had to be in London for a meeting and in Johannesburg for a conference the day after, I was allowed to book SAA. I was looking forward to this trip as it's been a while since I flew SAA on an intercontinental stretch.

Pre-flight.
I took the Heathrow Express train and must say that was quite comfortable and beats a taxi any day. Now regulars at LHR should please forgive all the London Heathrow observations below as I haven't flown out of LHR T1 for a long time and a lot was quite new to me.

SAA uses terminal 1 and their check-in desks are at the far end of the terminal. The first thing that struck me again was the gloom of it all, there seem to be little windows and it's quite crowded.
There was no queue at the Premium Class (J) check-in desk, I arrived at around 17:00. SAA has a big operation out of LHR with two wide bodies to JNB and one to CPT, all 747-400's on this evening.
SAA does their own passenger handling and the agent was pleasant and efficient and gave me the invitation to their J-class lounge. I received a seat in row 16, which was in the B-zone of the 747.

Then I got my first shock: only one piece of handluggage allowed, even in J! I managed to stuff my laptop bag in my trolley, once I'd removed the laptop and the obligatory plastic bag with liquids and gels. The security area is really grim, many stations were unmanned, there was a very long queue with sulky staff and irate passengers. Shoes, belt, jacket all had to come off. But they did not pick up my spray deoderant in the bag (I've had plenty of these confiscated at AMS).

After some shopping I made my way to the SAA lounge, conveniently located near the boarding gates. They actually had an F-lounge and a J-lounge. There was a bar with staff and a wide drink selection. Not so for the snacks, only some pretzels, bags of crisps and some cookies - quite poor. The lounge did have showers though.
Once the flight was called I made my way to the gate, only to be confronted by another security check with another long queue! I remember from a while ago that the staff selected passengers randomly but that has now changed to every single passenger. With the departure time drawing near I forgot my belt in one of the plastic scanning containers. Then again, rather forget a belt than a cell phone!

Boarding was through door 12 and because most people were on board already it was very efficient.

On-board
SAA operate three versions of 747-400 (having six in their fleet). Tonight I was on version 3. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Sou..._747-400_C.php

This was good news as version 3 has the least pax in zone B and has an additional lavatory. I found the cabin layout most strange: two rows of 2-3-2 in a diagonal layout but with the dreaded middle seat. Thankfully I was seated at the window and with a HUGE amount of space, perhaps 2m behind my seat. With so much wasted space and yet middle seats in J (they remained empty) they surely could have done this differently.
The seat was very wide and there was plenty of legroom. In fact, I counted seven aircraft windows in "my" space.

The first class with 10 seats was completely full and there were only 4 seats open of the 39 in J. So SAA is doing quite well on this route in their premium cabins it seems.

Newspapers and drinks were offered and the doors closed. It took another 25 minutes before they started the engines and we were stuck on the taxiway for 25 minutes before we could take off so in all about 60 minutes behind schedule.

Shortly after take-off the crew offered a tiny bowl of mixed nuts (I love the bigger bowl on KLM - call me greedy) and drinks. I had some champagne which was P Louis Martin tonight - pretty decent. The flute was chipped though. And the second one had an eyelash on it... I didn't bother telling the crew again and just removed it. The good thing was however that they kept my champagne flute filled all night after that, I must have finished at least one bottle!

Sorry to say, but the inflight entertainment was quite poor. Not so much the number of movies but the titles were really uninspiring, it was AVOD though.

Soon thereafter the table was set and I was quite impressed by the choice: 2 starters, 4 mains, cheese or dessert.

Starter:
Seared prawns on noodle salad, dressed with a sweet chilli sauce and sesame seeds.
OR
Seasonal salad offered with the choice of an olive oil and red wine dressing or chilli-lime and coriander dressing.

Main course:
Beef fillet served with red wine sauce, topped with sliced foie gras, broccoli, carrot batons and mashed potato.
OR
Breast of duck in a red curry sauce, accompanied by steamed rice, canelled carrots and baby pak choy.
OR
Fillet of honey glazed salmon, presented with celery, carrots, roasted potato, served with prune and balsamic vinegar.
OR
Spinach and Ricotta tortellini, with wild creamy mushroom sauce and roasted cherry tomatoes.

Cheese plate: double Gloucester, Oxford Blue and Brie
OR
Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Brownie Ice cream

I opted for the salad and it was fine, the chilli-lime dressing was nice. They had a good selection of bread rolls and garlic bread (but this was only offered once - unlike AF that does this throughout the meal service).
My neighbour had the shrimps and they looked good too although he only ate a bit.

For main I had the duck and it was excellent: juice and the red curry sauce was really really nice. My neighbour's beef looked really tender.

The cheese was very good and the crew also offered ice cream but I did not want to overdo it.

SAA have a nice tea selection (Ceylon, Earl Grey, Rooibos, Camomile or Green tea with mint). I had the Camoline to blend nicely with the champagne and really put me to sleep.

The inflight-bag is really excellent (case by Delsey), much better than AF or KL. SAA offers a nice sized pillow and a snug duvet.
That in combination with the true flat bed seat was really perfect.
I must have slept for at least 7,5 hours because I woke up after breakfast had been served (they do ask you if you want to be woken up for B/F) with only 30 minutes to go before landing! ^
They have a full breakfast and express breakfast option available.

Post-flight
We landed at a remote stand at O.R. Tambo Airport. Deplaning through doors 11 and 12.

Now here SAA can do better, because of the deplaning at two doors, the first bus was filled with passengers from all classes. Some airlines keep the first bus for F/J passengers which gives a head start at immigration. I positioned myself strategically on the bus, meaning I was one of the first to get off and join the Immigration queue. Immigration was surprisingly fast today and I was out of there in minutes.
SAA have an Arrivals lounge but I needed to check-in to my hotel anyway so I skipped this.

Verdict:
* ground handling at LHR: fine, no remarks.
* lounge: OK, please upgrade the snack selection with sandwiches or something similar
* hardware (seat/cabin): excellent, a great product.
* meals on board: excellent, on-par with e.g. AF
* drinks on board: fine
* in-flight amenities: super in-flight kit and nice pillow/duvet.
* cabin crew: quite friendly, sufficient in pax:crew ratio, not over-friendly or spontaneous though
* ground handling on arrival: OK, apart from the bus.

SAA offers a solid intercontinental product. It is sad that they have mismanaged this company and thus have to rationalize their network (quitting ZRH already and PAR soon). They are planning to ground their 747's which will see the end of their F-class service which I am sure many people will regret.

Last edited by jetfan; Jun 21, 2007 at 11:26 am
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by jetfan
Shortly after take-off the crew offered a tiny bowl of mixed nuts (I love the bigger bowl on KLM - call me greedy) and drinks.
Greedy. Haha, only kidding...thanks for the report!
Old Jun 25, 2007, 12:03 pm

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Thanks for excellent report, planning to do the same trip ( award in F ) but seems I have to change plans and either end up on A340 or convince LH to rebook me on their F to JNB...

Seems like SAA product specially onboard is very nice.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice report and good reminder, since I'll be transiting through their from SFO to CPT, about the nightmare that is LHR these days. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.