Wiki Posts
Search

New QF F LHR-MEL for OzFest

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
New QF F LHR-MEL for OzFest

NOTE Photos for this report are not working properly thanks to Shutterfly. I have uploaded them to Flickr here.

Oh no not him again! Yes me again this time with a tale of new F (soft product) on QF.

I thought I would add another report to my library which so far consists of the following TRs.

RTW report in First on OW carriers
F BA to YYZ
Planes, trains and cherry blossoms again in F on BA
My nutty weekend

Back in July last year I noticed that dates were posted for OzFest which just happened to be in my home town this year. I checked EF for availability in F to MEL and what do you know? QF showed some Z availability for the dates I wanted.
A quick call to the AA call centre in Dublin, whilst waiting on the platform at London Bridge for a train to LGW, and I was booked on to my desired flights. It was surprisingly easy to arrange and for the princely sum of 60 odd quid and 160000 AA miles I was confirmed on QF30 to MEL via HKG and QF9 via SIN to LHR.
All I had to do was wait until May 07 until I was able to continue with the story.

After a crazy 163227 butt in seat miles flown in the interim period at last the date arrived.

The flight was to depart at 12:40 so I was able to make a leisurely start to the day and headed out to the tube station around 09:00.
A couple of quick tube journeys and I was boarding the Heathrow Express train at Paddington. Thanks to Raffles I was able to secure upgraded seats on the HEX to start this journey off on the right note.

On board I grabbed an FT and a copy of Wallpaper magazine. What a wonderful concept that is? A magazine that you pay for that is 99.9% glossy advertising! A little like paying for ads on Pay TV services.

Guess what? HEX was running on time and actually delivered me to T4 at the scheduled time. Well wonders will never cease.

I do like exiting those elevator doors at T4 and walking straight on with a slight veer to the right. There were 4 desks manned and all occupied with a single person in front of me waiting to be served. I noticed my stalker KenJohn was being checked in at another agent. Some of you may remember from my RTW TR that KenJohn and his parents shared the F cabin with me on a SIN-HKG flight last year.

The guy in front of me soon moved on and another agent called me over.
I handed my passport over and he proceeded to check me in to seat 3A on this QF flight to HKG.
KenJohn informed me he would meet up with me post security as he was off to visit Travelex.

My agent said there was a note in my record to ring the QF supervisor at LHR which he did. He chatted for a while to the supervisor and then let me know that it was just a courtesy call to ensure I had no special needs and that I was a happy flyer.

With BP in hand I went down to security and the Fast Track lane. The line was not that long but if it had have been going any slower we would have been moving backwards. After what seemed like an eternity I finally made my way through the scanner without being frisked.

KenJohn was only a few places behind me at this stage but still to an age to make it through security. Of course they took a disliking to his bag and made him wait for at least 10 minutes before someone checked it out. Bloody LHR security is a disgrace and about as people friendly as the arctic. at one point the one person manuallly checking people’s bags decided it was their break time and just walked off with around 4 people’s bags waiting to be searched. It wasn’t until on of those waiting started to get stroppy that someone else took over the task.

Finally we were on our way to the Concorde Room where I was going to guest KenJohn in as he was slumming it in J this day on his way to SIN.

In the lounge I proceeded to do the mandatory bacon baguette and glass of champagne. Oh horror of horrors I can’t remember what the champagne was, but it was pink.

I noticed my bird sitting opposite the lounge at the very last gate on the Victor pier. Bewdy!

The flight was called around 11:40 and I said my goodbyes to KenJohn and started the long walk to Gate 25.

There was no queue at the gate as the majority of people had boarded by the time I arrived. There was one poor sod who did not have an Aussie visa and spoke little English and as I headed down the ramp was being told to ‘sit over there’.

HEX First Class Cabin
My Bird at Gate 25
Bacon Baguette

Flight QF30 LHR-HKG
Seat 3A
Departure time: 12:20
Aircraft: 747-400

Only door 1 was being used for boarding as this was LHR.

My jacket was taken, and marinated olives and roasted almonds were offered along with a drink. I asked for champagne and in true QF style the attendant returned with a glass and then showed me the bottle before pouring my glass of Krug.

The new amenity kits were handed out which is a small zippered ‘pencil case’ type arrangement that contained various creams, mints and earplugs. The FA came around with a basket containing, slippers, socks, eye masks, toothpaste and brush and shaving kits. The new QF F PJs were then handed out. There was a lambswool blanket and pillow at the seat.

I was offered, and accepted refills of the Krug whilst waiting on the ground. There were some no shows and bags needed to be offloaded. I wondered if it was the no visa guy from the gate they were offloading.
The doors eventually closed at 12:33 and at 12:40 we pushed back.

It was a beautifully sunny day in London after a week of dreary dull and wet weather. I thought that would be right I leave and the weather picks up.

After the seat belt signs were switched off the crew busied themselves taking the drinks orders for a pre lunch tipple.
No prizes for guessing what I ordered.

My champagne was soon delivered along with a small glass of Gazpacho and a Lamb and Goats cheese tart. The tart was lovely and the Gazpacho was quite spicy but was very difficult to extract from the little glass without the aid of some implement. My tongue may be large but it wasn’t long enough to disgorge the spicy red treat from its glass. Eventually I asked an FA for a spoon and she said that the Gazpacho was thick today and was usually much runnier.

Now I can’t read my scribbled notes for this section but I think it had something to do with the flight path. I remember noting that we were travelling way way further North to get to HKG than I had done a few weeks before on my nutty weekend trip from ZRH (see TR above).
I looked around the cabin whilst supping on Krug and noted that all but two of the seats in F were occupied for this flight.

Anyway back to the food.

The menu for our lunch service was as follows:

LONDON TO HONG KONG

LUNCH

CANAPÉS

ENTRÉES

Chickpea Soup with Lobster

Salad of Chicken and Asian Vegetables with Spicy Soy Dressing

There was also an insert in the menu with a Seasonal Feature

ENTRÉE

Salad of Asparagus and Quail Eggs with Pan Fried Prosciutto

SALAD

A salad of Rocket, Red Chard, Mizuna and Baby Spinach is available to accompany your main course, or can be enjoyed as an entrée, dressed with your choice of Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette, Palm Sugar Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette.

MAIN COURSES

Roast Sweet Potato with Mixed Dhal and Basmati Rice

Seared Halibut with Shitakes, Shallots and Yellow Bean Sauce

Barbecue Duck with Gremolata

Pan Fried Pork Cutlet with Calvados and Apples

A LIGHTER MEAL CHOICE

Halibut Fillet with Fresh Lemon Juice and Olive Oil

SIDE DISHES

Jasmine Rice
Braised Radicchio Hearts
Steamed Potatoes
Bok Choy
Sugar Snap Peas
Spinach with Nutmeg

A choice of mustards and condiments is available

CHEESE

Hand selected blue, soft and hard cheese served with accompaniments

DESSERT

Warm Treacle Tart with Clotted Cream

Assiette – a tasting plate of desserts

Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

PETITS FOURS

Chocolates

Sultana Financier

REFRESHMENT

Indulge in a delicious refreshment any time during your flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to offer a selection of soups, toasted sandwiches, seasonal fruit, cheese, ice cream cakes and biscuits.

BEVERAGES

APERITIFS

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth
Seppelt DP116 Dry Amontillado

SPIRITS

Bacardi White Rum
Bombay Sapphire Dry London Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Whisky
Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Single Estate Vodka

BEERS

Crown Larger
Hahn Premium

LIQUEURS

Bailey’s Irish Cream
Cointreau

COGNAC

Martell Cordon Bleu

NON ALCOHOLIC

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Cola
Diet Cola
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Solo – Lemon Squash

HOT BEVERAGES

Served with Petits Fours

GRINDERS COFFEE

Café Latte
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

TEA

Quality loose leaf teas served in individual Bodums

BLACK LEAF

Assam
Darjeeling

HERBAL

Lemon Citrus Blend
Peppermint Blend

Other teas available on request

HOT CHOCOLATE

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Krug Grande Cuvée NV

WHITE WINE

Knappstein Ackland Vineyard Reisling 2006

Tyrrells Vat 1 Hunter Valley Semillon 1999

Port Philip Estate Chardonnay 2004

RED WINE

Tarrawarra Estate Pinot Noir 2003

Torbeck The Struie Shiraz 2004

Setanta ‘Black Sanglain’ Cabernet Sauvignon 2004

DESSERT WINE

De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2004

FORTIFIED WINE

Morris Old Premium Liqueur Muscat & Tokay

I was asked for my meal order and if I wanted butter or olive oil and vinegar to go with my bread.

My table was set for lunch and the now expected plastic cutlery was delivered to my table. To serve such a quality repast with fine Noritake china and glassware with plastic cutlery is just plain ridiculous.

The soup was up first along with a choice of wholemeal or sour dough bread rolls. The soup was very nice with big chunks of lobster meat throughout. I enjoyed the Semillon with this course.

After the soup more rolls were offered and then the salad and main course were placed at my table. The main was quite tasty and the shiraz I was drinking with it was even tastier.

The dessert taster came next which consisted of a small bread and butter pudding with citrus, a chocolate mouse cake and crème Brule.
I washed this repast down with a glass of the absolutely delectable Noble One.
After I had devoured the dessert another glass of Noble One was supped whilst attempting to shove even more food in my face in the form of the cheese plate.

One thing I noticed on this flight was that there were no announcements from the captain at all about weather on route, estimated time of arrival etc.
The CSM came around at one point and introduced herself and was handing out HKG immigrations forms if needed.

Pre-takeoff champagne
On board looking forward
Pre dinner drinks
The view outside
The Table was set
Chickpea and Lobster Soup
Pork Cutlet
Dessert Taster
Finally the cheese

I spent some time surfing the AVOD system and was able to select several offerings to my taste. Unfortunately all the food and alcohol took its toll and I eventually succumbed to sleep and did not wake until noises and odours from the galley told me breakfast was in the making.

BREAKFAST

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Sunraysia Mango Liquid Fruit
Sunraysia Pear Liquid Fruit
Apricot and Honey Energiser Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey
Toast
Croissant
Blueberry Muffin
Steamed Chinese Bun

Selection of Conserves
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

Scrambled Eggs
Bacon
Sausages
Smoked Salmon
Sauteed Spinach
Roast Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Potato Cakes
Tomato Relish
Braised Beans and Savoury French Toast baked with Herbs, Bacon and Emmental

I started with the smoothie and some Bircher muesli. Both were delicious and went down a treat. Along came the toast and a small jar of vegemite. Ah 'tis nice to be on an airline that serves this black mud that I grew up on.
The toast was lovely and crusty and not at all soggy.
I followed up with some scrambled eggs, bacon and tomatoes.

After breakfast I changed back into my street gear and settled in with a Peppermint Tea.

Museli
Toast and Vegemite
Bacon and Eggs

As we were coming in to land Ms 2E had the effrontery to vomit several times into several sick bags. How dare she? One does not vomit in First Class!

We landed and pulled up to gate 15 at HKG airport and I bid my farewell to the all female crew, who by the way did not use my name once throughout the flight, and walked up the long ramp and into the airport.

I wandered up to the CX Wing F lounge to have a shower and relax a while.

Around 45 minutes before my flight was due to leave again I decided to go and check out the BA/QF lounge which was up near my gate anyway. The lounge was heaving with people and some were still waiting for showers when I walked in. There is not much on offer in the First class section which you get to after walking through the business class section. I was glad I had spent most of my time in the calm of the CX F lounge which was very quiet at that time of the morning.

As the boarding time approached I made my way to the gate. I walked down to the next gate to see where the other QF 767 was headed. It was bound for SYD and I was not so I headed back to 15 and straight on board as they had just opened to the doors as I was walking up.

Flight QF30 HKG-MEL
Seat 3A
Departure time: 09:10

A flight attendant approached and introduced herself and said she would be looking after me for the flight.
I was offered another sleep suit and slippers etc as on the previous sector.

I was offered a drink and by now you really must know what I ordered. To my surprise the glass came out but the bottle proffered up was the Charles Heidsieck ‘Blanc des Millenaires’ 1995. Whilst not the Krug that I had now become accustomed to it was an acceptable alternative and was a vintage wine rather than NV.

The purser came around and introduced herself and chatted briefly to me.
This time around my name was used all the time during the entire flight.

At 09:20 we pushed back and were in the air by 09:35 taking off toward Hong Kong and then banked around to head on south to the land down under.

The front portion of the aircraft had the same occupants as on the LHR-SIN with the exception of 4A & F that had left us in HKG. This meant there was a compliment of 10 for this sector.

The menu for this flight was a difficult one to devour. It is entitled All Day Dining and was a list of the following items that could be ordered at any time during the flight.

HONG KONG TO MELBOURNE

ALL DAY DINING

Choose from a broad range of dishes and enjoy a long leisurely meal or a light snack. The choice is yours.

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Berry Energiser Drink

Fresh Tropical Fruit with Lime Wedges

Banana Fritters with Maple Syrup and Cinnamon
Crispy Potato Cakes with Sour Cream, Bacon and Chives

Pumpkin, Shallot and Coconut Soup
Zucchini and Basil Soup
Salad of King Prawns and Rocket with Gazpacho Dressing
Chinese Roast Duck and Lychee Salad with Cashew Nuts

Plate of Cured Meats with Reggiano and Pickled Fennel
Our Signature Lamb, Pea and Mint Pie with Tomato Relish

A Green Leaf Salad is available to accompany your main course, or can be enjoyed as an entrée, dressed with your choice of Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette, Palm Sugar Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette

Semolina Gnocchi with Artichokes, Green Olives and Sage
Sea Bass with Horseradish Crème Fraiche, Potato Puree and Garlic Broccoli
Roast Chicken with Lemongrass and Ginger, Pak Choy and Fragrant Fried Rice
Cantonese Style Braised Beef with Chu Hou Sauce and Hand Cut Noodles

CHEESE

DESSERT

Carrot and Almond Cake with Orange Syrup and Mascarpone
White Chocolate Cheesecake with Raspberry Sauce
Ice Cream Tubs
Sliced Fresh Fruit

PETITS FOURS

Chocolates
Tart Fraicheur
Pecan and Cranberry Cookie
Butterscotch Brownies

I didn’t know what to order and asked the very friendly FA for a recommendation. She suggested the roast chicken which I agreed to have along with a salad.

I spent much of the first part of the flight looking out the window as the various island nations of the pacific passed by below me.

After I was done with the chicken the FA asked me if I could be tempted with some dessert. Upon inspection of the menu again I couldn’t resist trying the white chocolate cheesecake. I asked for some Noble One to go with it and the FA informed me that they had none left. I was in shock and she could tell and offered up as a substitute the Muscat. The Muscat was so thick it practically glugged out of the bottle like oil. It was devine though and was like drinking liquid raisins.

My Bird at HKG
Roast Chook
Great View
More Great Views
White Chocolate Cheesecake

I spent time watching movies, looking out the window whilst listening to music on the AVOD and drinking copious amounts of water. I wonder why?

Eventually I dozed off again and awoke about an hour and 40 minutes out of MEL. Looking out the window to the east as the sun was setting on the other side of the plane I marvelled at the stark beauty of the Australian desert landscape.

The ever attentive FA noticed my return from slumber and asked if I was hungry. I said I could be tempted with the lamb pie. After all it was their signature dish, it would be rude not to try it.
Around 20 minutes later my table was set for the last time on this flight and the pie placed before me. I opted for some of the champagne to wash it down with.
They used metal cutlery on this flight with the exception of the knife which was plastic.
During the remainder of the flight I listened to jazz music and watched the world go by outside. Well the lights of the world go by anyway as it was dark.

I changed back into my civies and packed everything away in preparation for landing. One thing I noticed with the QF flights is that they put the seat belt on only about 10 minutes before landing, which must be one of the latest of
any flights I have been on.

Lamb Pie

We arrived at MEL and pulled up to our gate which was close to the main part of the terminal. Several other flights had landed at the same time and the queues at immigration were quite long. My seat mate in 3E had clued me up that I should head to the left hand side where there was a channel for people with the new chip encrusted passports. It worked a treat and I was through into the baggage hall in minutes.

The bags took some time to emerge and mine with it’s nice yellow First tag was one of the first out.

One thing remained now and that was to go through the baggage screening
process that Australia insists on. Now as Oz is heavily dependant on in natural resources and quite rightly wish to protect our land from any introduced nasties, I understand the need to xray incoming baggage. But they really need to get their act together and make the process more efficient. The queues to the screening looped all over the baggage hall and no one was making them orderly at all. It was a mess. I eventually escaped into the free world an hour after the plane landed which is just not acceptable.

Ok that is it for now. These things take ages to write up and I want some dinner.

The return journey will be posted in the next day or so.

Last edited by Moomba; Jul 21, 2011 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

It seemed a little remiss of me not to say more about the New F soft product than I have done so far in the report.

The new glassware is very sytlish and sleek and is quite unique as you can probably see from the pictures. I pariticularly like the shape of the champagne glasses. Perhaps my views are a little biased on this given my penchant for the bubbly stuff. The crockery if fine white china from Noritake.
The cutlery, well the less said about that the better.

The Amenity kits contain products by Payot from France.

The PJs are non QF branded, apart from the label inside where it says Akira for Qantas. They are made of the usual cotton material and the trousers have a small pocket on the right buttock.

The slippers are Akria branded again and have a hard plastic sole. The socks were too small for my size 10.5 feet so I didn't use them.

Amenity Kit
Akira PJs

The return trip - coming soon to a computer screen near you

Last edited by Moomba; Jun 3, 2007 at 10:55 am
Old Jun 1, 2007, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Nice report ^ I agree that you don't throw up in F! not classy at all!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA
As always Moomba, a quality trip report! ^^

Looking forward to the return
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Excellent as always Moomba! ^
Old Jun 2, 2007, 5:30 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Great stuff Moomba. ^
Old Jun 2, 2007, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Home Again

After a week in Melbourne catching up with family and my bestest friends I checked out of Mum and Dad hotel and into a hotel in the city so that I could join the OzFest gang.
I participated in the Foodie tour of the Queen Vic market and the ferry ride to Williamstown. It was fun being a tourist in the town I grew up in and still call home.

In Williamstown we had a great lunch and then caught the train back to the city.

As seems to be a common pattern for me on my trips home I was getting a cold. I went to see a chemist who gave me some great stuff called First Defence. I was stuffing this bottle up my nose and giving a few snorts every six hours or so. It seemed to be doing the right stuff but I didn’t want to push my luck so I called it a day after the luncheon and retired to my room for the evening.
On the Sunday I joined the gang in a most pleasant day of winery hopping on the Mornington peninsula. Again I opted out of the evenings activities. Yeah I know just call me MoombaPooper. Ironic really as Moomba is an Australian aboriginal word meaning roughly, ‘Lets get together and have fun’. Well that is what I am told anyway.

Monday morning rolls around and I do some last minute shopping and pick up my newly purchased and freshly altered suit from my favourite Melbourne menswear store.
At around noon I check out of the luxurious suite I had been upgraded to at the Westin and caught a taxi to Melbourne’s Tullamarine airport.

Spa Bath Westin Melbourne
Shower
Bathroom
Hallway
Suite

On arrival at the airport I walk inside and locate the QF check-in desks. I can see Y desks, J desks and QF Club desks but no First. I think this is rather odd as last time I flew out of MEL it was on QF in F and there was definitely a dedicated desk.

At this point the penny drops and I recall reports on the QF forum of a new kerb side check-in for First passengers on QF.
I wander outside again and sure enough, obscured by a bloody great truck was the First entrance to the terminal building.

As I approached the door a QF agent greeted me and asked my name. He checked my name on his list and informed me he was not able to ring yesterday as they didn’t have a local number for me. It seems QF will call their F passengers to confirm any special arrangements and estimated arrival time etc and also to book spa treatments.

He directs me to the desk where another gentleman takes my suitcase and yet another takes my passport and checks me in to seat 3A.

I asked if I could take a suit bag on board along with my rollaboard. The agent said sure no problem. I then remembered I was flying out of a civilised airport and not the third rate experience I have become used to at LHR. I grabbed my suit bag out of my over stuffed suitcase and handed the case back to the agent.

The greeter gentleman proceeded to tell me of the new lounge and gave me a card with directions. So lovely wood grain printed BP and lounge directions in hand I head off to immigrations and security. I realised that the agent had not given me a departure card to fill out, but this was easily rectified once I entered the departures hall. With form duly filled in I cleared Australia and was through security. I briefly detoured through the duty free store but no one seemed interested in assisting me even though it was obvious I was looking for a particular item. So I gave up on these idiots and decided to spend my money in SIN instead.

I walked up to the very end of the terminal building where a set of escalators led up to the floor above the gates. The QF and EK lounges were located up in this new section of the building.

I made my way into the lounge and was warmly greeted by several staff. One took me on the guided tour of their new facility.

There was only one other guest in the lounge when I arrived but this soon changed as the eligible QF 9 passengers arrived.

I decided to try out the restaurant first and was seated by a staff member dressed in white (the others were dressed in Black). I assume this was the maitre de.

She gave me a menu and asked me if I would like to start with a drink and I opted for some water. Ha fooled ya.

After perusing the menu I made my order and asked for a glass of one of the three champagnes on offer. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to photograph the menu nor take copious notes about the contents. The champagne I did have was one of the Verve Cliquot ensemble.

I started with a lovely salad with grilled goats cheese. I see goats cheese on a menu and the blinkers come on. I couldn’t even tell you what else was on the entrée list. The soup was cream of cauliflower though.

After the salad I had the minute steak and chips.

All the food was cooked freshly in the kitchens that could be seen behind a counter at the back wall of the restaurant section.

I was chatting to the staff and found out that they are intending to change the menu in the restaurant every 3 months. They deliberately keep the serving sizes small so that you are able to enjoy more than one course and still save room for the flight.

The menu is by Neil Perry and the staff are from Sofitel.

Selected items off the menu can be ordered throughout the lounge from the lounge staff. Other more substantial offerings are only available in the sit down restaurant section.

There is also a limited selection of snacks available at the self serve area along with hot and cold drinks.

The lounge is open to OW Emeralds.

After my repast I wandered down to the spa section to try my luck there. There are only 2 treatment rooms at the spa and one relaxation room.
Spa treatments can be booked 24 hours in advance (not sure if all can do this or just F pax). I was told that had I supplied a local number I would have been called the day before my flight to see if I wanted to book a session in the spa.
Unfortunately both spa rooms were booked so I was out of luck on the spa front.

There are 6 (IIRC) computers (one of which was not working and one occupied by a staffer the whole time I was there).

There is free wifi throughout the lounge.

There are several seating sections by the windows that are separated by wall with magazine racks and large televisions. There are other half height walled sections that are their 'libraries' and were stocked with books.

There seemed to be quite a lot of staff and they were all very eager to be of service.

After sitting and reading for a while I noticed in the reflection in the window that the flight was showing as boarding. They have two of the old retro ‘clicky, clicky, clicky’ type departure boards on the walls of the lounge. These are a nice touch and there is something about that sound they make when clicking over that just screams ‘I am on holiday’

Just at the time I was bout to walk out the lounge staff made a boarding announcement.
I noticed some of the staff, including the Maitre De came up to the exit to farewell the guests. Nice touch guys. You could tell from speaking to the people that they were very proud of their new lounge and rightly so.

Restaurant QF F Lounge MEL
Seating Area QF F Lounge MEL
Library QF F Lounge MEL
Seating Area QF F Lounge MEL
Business Area QF F Lounge MEL
Goats Cheese Salad
Minute Steak
My Bird
I've seen this bird before

I walked out of the lounge and down the escalator and joined the line at the gate. They were boarding by row and the agent on seeing some people walk from the escalator called for First and Business to come to the front and sent us on down the ramp.

Flight QF9 MEL-SIN
Seat 3A
Departure time: 15:30

Once on board my jacket was taken, and marinated olives and roasted almonds were offered along with a drink. I asked for champagne and as with the flight out the glass came out empty and the bottle shown prior to pouring.
As I sat and supped the First cabin filled to capacity and the PJs, amenity kits dance was played out by the FAs.

We pushed back on time and taxied to the most southern point airport and took off at 15:43

After the seat belt signs were switched off drinks orders were taken and then server with canapés that consisted of Vietnamese spring rolls with chilli sauce.

After the drinks run the Dinner orders were taken.

MELBOURNE TO SINGAPORE

DINNER

CANAPÉS

ENTRÉES

Shitake Wontons in Oxtail Broth

Prawn and Celeriac Remoulade

SALAD

A salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio, and Frisee is available to accompany your main course, or can be enjoyed as an entrée, dressed with your choice of Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette, Palm Sugar Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette.

MAIN COURSES

Ricotta, Sun Dried Tomato and Smoked Garlic Calzone

Seared Salmon with Radish, Celery and Lemon Salsa

Steamed Chicken with Szechuan Pepper

Grilled Lamb Cutlet with Olive, Anchovy and Caper Sauce

A LIGHTER MEAL CHOICE

Seared Salmon with Fresh Lemon Juice and Olive Oil

SIDE DISHES

Kipfler Potatoes
Chilli Eggplant
Herbed White Beans
Green Beans
Egg Noodles
Creamed Spinach

CHEESE

Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

DESSERT

Quince Frangipane Tart with Spiced Syrup and Double Cream

Assiette – a tasting plate of desserts

Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

PETITS FOURS

A selection of Manna from Heaven chocolates and petits fours

REFRESHMENT

Indulge in a delicious refreshment any time during your flight. Your Flight Attendant will be pleased to offer a selection of soups, toasted sandwiches, seasonal fruit, cheese, ice cream cakes and biscuits.

TASTING MENU

Chilled Cauliflower soup with Salmon Caviar
Vietnamese Beef in Betel Leaf with Lime and Chilli

Shitake Wontons in Oxtail Broth

Prawn and Celeriac Remoulade

Pan Fried Salmon with Radish, Celery and Lemon Salsa

Grilled Lamb Cutlet with Olive, Anchovy and Caper Sauce
Salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisse with Palm Sugar Vinaigrette

Quince and Frangipane Tart with Spiced Syrup and Double Cream

Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd, Maitre Fromager Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

Manna from Heaven chocolates and petits fours

BEVERAGES

APERITIFS

Bloody Mary
Campari
Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth
Seppelt DP116 Dry Amontillado

SPIRITS

Bacardi White Rum
Bombay Sapphire Dry London Gin
Chivas Regal 18yo Scotch Whisky
Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Whisky
Inner Circle (Green Dot) Dark Rum 57.2%
Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108° Bourbon
Wyborowa Single Estate Vodka

BEERS

Crown Larger
Hahn Premium

LIQUEURS

Bailey’s Irish Cream
Cointreau

COGNAC

Martell Cordon Bleu

NON ALCOHOLIC

Apple Juice
Orange Juice
Spicy Tomato Juice
Tomato Juice
Mineral Water
Soda Water
Tonic Water
Bundaberg Ginger Beer
Cola
Diet Cola
Ginger Ale
Lemonade
Solo – Lemon Squash

HOT BEVERAGES

Served with Petits Fours

GRINDERS COFFEE

Café Latte
Cappuccino
Decaffeinated
Espresso
Flat White
Long Black
Mocha
Liqueur Coffee

TEA

Quality loose leaf teas served in individual Bodums

BLACK LEAF

Assam
Darjeeling

HERBAL

Lemon Citrus Blend
Peppermint Blend

Other teas available on request

HOT CHOCOLATE

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Charles Heidsieck ‘Blanc des Millenaires’ 1995

WHITE WINE

Henschke ‘Julius’ Riesling 2005

Gembrook Hill Sauvignon Blanc 2004

Howard Park Chardonnay 2004

RED WINE

Tarrawarra Estate Pinot Noir 2003

Torbeck The Struie Shiraz 2004

Tahbilk Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 1999

DESSERT WINE

De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2003

FORTIFIED WINE

Morris Old Premium Liqueur Muscat & Tokay

I decided to give the taster menu a shot. I asked the FA if they chose the wines to with the food and she replied in the affirmative but I could choose my own if I wished. Again I was asked if I wanted butter or olive oil and vinegar to go with my bread.

My table was set for dinner and three glasses were placed on the table in preparation for the feast.
The first wine came out for inspection and was the Riesling. It was a very light and went well with the prawn and celeriac remoulade that was on offer first.
After this the wonton and oxtail soup appeared at my table along with wine number 2 the Chardonnay. This wine was divine and not overly oaked like some Aussie chardonnays can be.
I stayed with the Chardonnay as the salmon came out to be devoured.
Next up wine number 3 the Shiraz which was to accompany the lamb dish.

At this point I noticed that we had somehow missed a course, the chilled cauliflower soup, but I didn’t bother saying anything as I was not in need of more after all I had just eaten and two more courses were yet to come.

Next up was the quince tart and of course the Noble One was served with this delight.

Next up was the cheese which failed to see the front of my camera somehow. It is funny how on my trip reports the level of detail and number and quality of pictures deteriorates as the flight wears on. I wonder why that is?

I fell asleep after dinner and didn’t stir until the lights came on 30 minutes out of Singapore.
I changed back into my clothes and packed all my goodies into my bag as the CSM had made several announcements that everything must be taken off the plane and re-scanned at SIN security prior to re-boarding. This is seemingly some new SIN regulation and would be a really p1sser if you had duty free liquids that you were expecting to leave on the plane during the layover.

Olives and Nuts with Pre-takeoff Bubbles
Spring Rolls and Bubbles
Table set with 3 glasses
Prawn Remoulade
Oxtail Soup
Pan Fried Salmon
Lamb Cutlet
Where did Dessert go?
Coffee and more Noble One

We touched down as 21:10 and I quickly disembarked and made my way to the QF/BA First lounge where I had a shower and then relaxed for a while.

Shower Suite QF F Lounge SIN
QF F Lounge SIN

I decided to go in search of my duty free and left the lounge to go a wandering. I did not find what I was looking for but did look up at the monitors that showed my flight as last call. I hoofed it down to the gate only to find a very long queue waiting to go through security before getting to the gate area.

The last time I exited SIN it was on SQ in F (sometimes it is nice to be the King) and there was a separate line for F & J to the security machines. No such luck with QF so I joined the end of the queue to await my turn with security scanners.

A few minutes after I made it into the lounge proper the doors opened and First and Business class passengers were invited to board.

Flight QF9 SIN-LHR
Seat 3A
Departure time: 23:40

The usual stuff, jacket, champagne, amenity, PJs blah blah. Oh it is all so blasé now, I think I need to ride down the back for a while to put things back in perspective.... Nah!

The champagne accompaniment was olives and some flat crispbread type things with, oh my favourite, goats cheese dip!

The captain came on the horn and informed us there would be a delay in the departure time as there was heavy traffic over the middle east and ATC had asked us to hang back a while. Also he informed us that we had a very favourable flying time and had we left any earlier we would have been circling London waiting for the curfew to clear. As it was this was to be one of the first flights of the day anyway and a curfew breaker normally, but had we left any earlier we would have been in LHR before 05:00.

When I got my PJs I noticed they were different from the previous three I had acquired. I then realised that these were the Morrissey designed Business class ones that QF now use on the ultra long hauls in J.

A hot towel was given out before take off.
Not long out of Singapore we flew over the top of an electrical storm which was pretty cool. It was fun to be flying smoothly but seeing lightening flashes from below the clouds underneath us.

After the belts sign was switched off the crew came around and asked what we would like to eat.

SINGAPORE TO LONDON

SUPPER

CANAPES

ENTREES

Seafood Laksa

Bang Bang Chicken Salad with Sesame Dressing

LIGHT MEALS

Veal Shank and Mushroom Pot Pie

Our Signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

MAIN COURSES

Tagine of Pumpkin Dumplings with Couscous and Coriander Yoghurt

Seared Snapper with White Wine Sauce, Rosemary Tomatoes and Grilled Fennel

Slow Cooked Duck and Water Chestnuts with Bok Choy in Bean Sauce

A Green Leaf Salad is available to accompany your main course, or can be enjoyed as an entrée, dressed with your choice of Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette, Palm Sugar Vinaigrette, Blue Cheese Dressing or Lemon Vinaigrette.

CHEESE

DESSERT

Black Sticky Rice with Coconut and Pineapple

Banana and Caramel Crumble with Crème Anglaise
Maggie Beer Ice Cream Tubs

Whole or Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

PETITS FOURS

A selection of hand made chocolates

I was absolutely full up to pussy's bow and only wanted something light at this stage of the flight. I ordered the Seafood Laksa.

The CSM came through the cabin and chatted with each of the First passengers and handed out Fast Track forms and landing cards.

After the laksa I decided I wanted something sweet so opted for more of the Noble One which the FA kept filling up!

Goats Cheese Dip and Bubbles Pre-takeoff
Seafood Laksa

I watched a movie or two in an effort to not sleep too soon into the flight.

Eventually sleep came my way and I dozed off for the night. At around 3 hours out I woke up and so it seems had most of the rest of the full cabin.

On this flight though there was only one other MEL-SIN person in F and the rest were all SIN starters.

I was mighty hungry by this time and a breakfast request from the FA was greeted with a smile and a nod from me.

BREAKFAST

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Tomato Juice
Berry Energiser Drink

Fresh Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey
Toast
Croissant
Pain au Raisin

Selection of Conserves
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

Scrambled Eggs
Bacon
Sausages
Smoked Salmon
Roast Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Field Mushrooms
Potato Cakes
Tomato Relish
Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Smoked Salmon and Spinach

I started with the Bircher again as it was rather nice on the way out. This I followed up with eggs, bacon, tomatoes and potato cake. All of this was enough to keep the hungry birds away for quite a long time.

Bircher Museli
Bacon and Eggs
Morrissey J PJs

All too soon the flight was over and we were making our approach straight into LHR.

I was off the plane quickly and made my way to the open and operating IRIS machine at T4. Then down to the baggage hall to wait.

Around 5 minutes after arriving in the hall the belt started and I nearly fainted. It turns out my heart tremor was a little premature. Three bags came down the chute then nothing, nothing and more nothing. Around 20 minutes later someone came on the horn apologising for the delay and that they would be out in ten minutes. Ten minutes later another announcement saying that they had unloaded the bins and the bags would appear in ten minutes or so.
Eventually after waiting 45 minutes bags started to appear in earnest. My bag was out within the first dozen or so. I quickly exited and went through customs and down to the HEX station. I arrived at the platform just as the train was pulling out.

I awaited the next train and made my way by HEX and taxi to my home by around 07:00.

All up I was very impressed with the new QF product. The addition of the fine champagnes complimented their already superb Australian wine lists. The new glassware and china are very understated but elegant. The plastic cutlery is a disgrace.

The PJs are quite nice and not QF branded on the outside which is a nice touch rather than shouting ‘I am in First’ like some other carriers I know.

The new entrance facility in MEL and the very personalised service I got from the QF staff at check-in was great. I have never felt so special or so appreciated as a customer as I did on this trip.

The lounge at MEL is fabulous and I can’t wait to visit that facility again.

The food on QF was absolutely brilliant and you would certainly never be left wanting for something to eat. I have never been offered so much choice on any other First flights. (It does make these TRs more difficult to write though!)

I would certainly not hesitate to hop aboard another QF F flight to anywhere.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report and very timely as I'll be on the QF30 all the way to MEL later this month.

Regarding immigration/customs in MEL, do you have an Australian passport? How long do you estimate it would take a non-Aussie to make it through?

Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:25 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
No Krug / Dom on the MELSINLHR route then? Great trip report, btw.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:29 am

Fantastic as ever Moomba ^
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Good pictures.

However it seems the food quality have deteriorated from just looking at photos. Not really appetizing at all. I personally think QF is just trying too hard in the menu and starting to loose focus.

The brekfast looks like a mess and no wonder why the women vomited!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 5:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It is a real pleasure to read this report.

I agree that the value of plastic cutlery is questionable. It is amazing that QF out of LHR throws up a full set of plastics (from your photo), whereas QF out of SFO (F) only suffers a plastic knife. My preceding AA domestics had a full set of metal implements. Go figure! (Yes, I know that the Oz CASA makes these stupid rules).
Old Jun 2, 2007, 5:15 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
What a great report, and nice pictures too - I especially liked the look of the lounge in MEL. The menu variety looks good.. I've got to find an excuse to fly QF in F sometime!
Old Jun 2, 2007, 5:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Moomba
The usual stuff, jacket, champagne, amenity, PJs blah blah. Oh it is all so blasé now, I think I need to ride down the back for a while to put things back in perspective.... Nah!
Some longhaul flights in economy only make me appreciate business and first all the more. Great report moomba ^
Old Jun 2, 2007, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Great report and very timely as I'll be on the QF30 all the way to MEL later this month.

Regarding immigration/customs in MEL, do you have an Australian passport? How long do you estimate it would take a non-Aussie to make it through?

Thanks!
MEL immigration is nowhere near as congested as SYD. Before Australia allowed NZ passport holders to use the Australia line, it used to take me 1-20 minutes to clear immigration at MEL. Quite often through before the bags start turning up on the belt.

The agriculture xray usually takes longer than immigration but again is much faster than in SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.