NWA 757 DTW-FRA in C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NWA 757 DTW-FRA in C

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
NWA 757 DTW-FRA in C

[delete]

Last edited by PurdueFlyer; Jun 22, 2012 at 9:20 am Reason: delete
Old May 29, 2007, 9:14 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
This is a great report, thanks for posting! I've never flown a 757 across the pond, so your WBC experience is especially interesting.

The meal seems really disappointing, but I think it's due to time of departure moreso than the equipment. By comparison, there is a fairly complete dinner service offered on LH's 10pm ORD-FRA flight. It's a bit streamlined (i.e. dessert and cheese is on the tray already I think), but there is still a separate appetizer course and normal entree selections.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:15 am

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Thanks for the super report.
Menu does seem a little skimpy for WBC, but considering the late hour of the flight perhaps it is OK for most people.
It does make me wonder, though, about the DTW-BRU, DTW-DUS, and BDL-AMS flights. These are not late-night departures, but rather at more normal meal times. At least something better than domestic FC fare is going to be expected on these flights. Hope that NW will come through in this regard.

In your particular situation, it sounds like the Purser had already decided that it was important to move the guy out of 1-A. Four empty seats up front, but none of them were together, so let's do whatever we need to in order to have some "crew rest" seats that are next to each other, away from the other pax.

You mention that RM only allows booking to 15/16 in WBC. Is there a contract issue here, that requires a "crew rest" seat for FA's in WBC? Similar to the tent that was always up over 19AB and 20AB on the old DC-10's, but now it is in the front of the bus?

Thanks again for the great report, hope you had a good day or two in FRA!
Old May 30, 2007, 7:57 am

I am sorry if I you explained this and I cannot see it, but was this a non-rev flight for you? Or did you pay for it? And is it normal for non-revs to be upgraded on standby? And do you have to travel standby?
Old May 30, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, DL
I also could not imagine a flight across the pond w/o a little map, if im not mistaken every flight I have took HNL to SEA they leave the map on after the before and after the movie. . . thank you for the report.
Old May 31, 2007, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

[delete]

Last edited by PurdueFlyer; Jun 22, 2012 at 9:18 am Reason: delete
Old May 31, 2007, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

[delete]

Last edited by PurdueFlyer; Jun 22, 2012 at 9:18 am Reason: delete
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely fantastic report! ^

I have to say that the meal service sounds terrible for an international flight. I understand it's late night, but still, that's just terrible! Thanks for a fantastic report, though, was great to read!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
purdueflyer
Thanks for the report. I'm flying DCA-DTW-DUS on July 3 in WBC. I had a choice of that or DCA-DTW-AMS-DUS and selected the 757 to check it out.
I'm curious about what the meal will be on a 930 pm flight.
And based on your comment about storage, I've switched from 1C to 2C. I want somewhere to at least put a book or magazine.
tom
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: FB Plat lifetimer,BA, US, LH
Thanks for this report. I'm planning a trip to the US for late July. I think outbond I'll take the 757 nonstop DUS-DTW, however on return I'll take the A 330 via AMS.

For a dayflight the 757 seems to be not too bad. I need some movies and don't want to waste too much time. However on a night flight I prefer to have a real WBC seat.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 6:47 pm
azj

Purdue - don't forget about the "Fly confirmed for less" (30% off and no WP miles) and "Fly confirmed with perks" (20% off and WP miles) benefits that we have. Those are really quite good if you really HAVE to be somewhere.

AZJ
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:35 am

Must agree with others, truly enjoyed reading your trip report. Great detail, but simply because it details a whole new world for most and that's the NWA B757 service to Europe which to this point has been a mystery without others being able to share any of their experiences, thanks for taking the time to share it all with us. Waiting for your next trip report..........

Questions:

What was the total flight time flying DTW-FRA just because with it being such a late evening departure, I'm trying to justify the menu that was offered when thinking late departure time vs. well you are in C, a little more might be just a higher product to offer?

Return trip, are you posting any details there?

Had heard that for the BDL-AMS B757 service that NWA is offering, they actually ran into catering problems because of lack of contract in BDL and thus for the overseas flight that NWA was beginning, they were having to bring the catering in from BOS. Have you heard any further on that topic or was it overexagerated and everything worked out in the long run?

Besides those cities listed in your post, what have you heard about any further B757 transatlantic flights on NWA to strengthen ties between the carriers NWA aligns itself with and moreso our eastern seaboard destinations? Such as, competing service with NWA B757 on transatlantic routes like PHL-AMS, BWI-AMS, PIT-AMS, RDU-AMS and all the other eastern cities that could support possible B757 service into the AMS hub that other carriers simply have just overlooked.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 4:08 am

Thank you for this informative report.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:08 am

Programs: FB-Gold, SPG-Plat, Priority Club-Plat
Interesting trip report, but was disappointed to learn no map, I always watch those things. Agree the meal service was lousy. Will think seriously about switching back to the A330 next time, doesn't sound like the 757 is for me. Thanks for posting the report.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 3:03 pm

757 TATL flight from FA's perpective-

I don't normally like TATL flying because the combination of time zone change and late evening departure. I am usually a zombie when I get back home. I decided to try a TATL 757 flight because I have never been to Dusseldorf and also wanted to check out the 757 for myself.

My first impression: The aircraft was spotlessly clean. New seats and carpeting match the A330's. The WBC seats are similar in comfort to the "OLD WBC" and seem wider at the hips than the A330/747 seats. The AVOD players passed out in WBC are perfectly adequate and the holder built into the seat is handy. Each WBC seat also has a power supply for the player and another for the customer. I liked the spacious but private feel of the WBC cabin. I would definately be more at ease working up front on this airplane, unlike the seemingly endless rows of WBC on the 747 and A330. A nice buffer zone of storage cabinets and galley seperate the two cabins so any noise from the MC is minimized.

In the MC the seats are much like any other coach seats, nothing to write home about. AVOD would have been nice but the overhead screens kept everyone entertained. One nice feature was that even with the window shades open the LCD screens could easily be seen in the cabin. The crew rest seats are in the last row. I am 6'2" and was able to sit with resonable comfort in the MC seat, the extra pitch is noticable. I was able to cross my legs even with the seat in front reclined. I am not sure if it was just the last row, but the seat doesn't go that far back when reclined.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to work another 757 TATL. In fact I think I may prefer the 757. While the A330 has many more bells and whistles, it also has a lot more people. The meal service definately flows much more quickly than on a widebody. No one complained about it being "inferior" to the A330 and I overheard one of our elite members sitting in MC comment to his seatmate that "this flight went much more quickly than I expected".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.