Wiki Posts
Search

SQ new F SIN-ICN with photo link

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

SQ new F SIN-ICN with photo link

Hi all,

Just a follow-up on my promised Singapore Airlines’ Boeing 777-300ER flight from Singapore to Seoul Incheon, and I guess we know enough SQ’s flights, and this report will be an abbreviated one and the focus will be on the photo album, which features hopefully a better collection of SQ’s F seats and highlight some of the features of the seats. I also have yet to try out the bed function, but hopefully I will try it out in the return Seoul to Singapore in late July. If I can, I will snap you a picture and post it somewhere.

Photo link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bt2a

May 3, 2007
SQ 16 SIN-ICN 0915 1640 Boeing 777-300ER 9V-SWJ
After a rested night at the Changi Village A Far East Hotel, I took the 7am shuttle to the airport and reached the nice Terminal two. SQ’s First class check-in counters are fairly deserted and I was checked in right the way. Then I headed to the SQ first class lounge, which was fairly busy in these morning hours and I had some duck porridge, as well as some kinds of Singaporean yellow noodles in a thick sauce from the Cook station. Of course, I still think SQ F lounge is still its weakest link, compared to CX’s really nice “Wing” or “Pier” in Hong Kong or even TG’s home based BKK Royal First Class lounge says more about luxury, as well as Virgin’s Clubhouse and various other lounges.

F42 is a pretty far away gate (well all the way at the end of the F pier) and that also explains the lack of SQ’s 77W pictures at all. Boarding began slightly late at 8:54am and strangely, only the door one was used this morning, and everyone were awed by the F and J cabins, as they walked towards Y. The F/As, unlike their US carrier counterpart, managed to visit me and pass me some newspapers (including San Francisco Chronicles), magazines, and a glass of water. The load was fairly light, and the F/As said that most passengers prefer the evening flight via Hong Kong. Boarding completed at 9:12am and we pushed back a minute later, and soon we headed towards R/W2C, which was quite busy with a number of Tiger Airways and Silkair’s Baby Airbuses taking off, before we lifted off the cloudy sky of Singapore at 9:28am.

The routing was fairly typical: 34,000feet towards the South China Sea, and then climbed up to 36,000feet before reaching Taiwan, and then up to 37,000feet and began descent after passing Jeju Islands and along the western coast of South Korea.

Krisworld is amazing as usual and turned on right at boarding time, and F/As passed out unique burgundy-colored slippers and eyeshades, as well as a pair of light beige colored socks. No amenity kits and PJs are loaded in Singapore. Beverage and satays were served first, and then lunch was served at 11am Singaporean time (of course you can request your lunch earlier) and the F/As asked every passenger if it was alright to serve lunch at 11am, and most said yes. Here is the menu and wine list:

Wine List
Champagnes
Dom Perignon 1999
Krug Grande Cuvee

White Wines
Chablis Premier Crus Fourchaumes “old vines” 2003, Domaine Laroche
Cloudy Bay Suavignon Blanc 2005 Marlborough

Red Wines
Chateau Cos d’Estournel 1999, Saint-Estephe
Chateau Pichon-Longueville Au Baron De Pichon-Longueville 1998, Pauillac
Sequoia Grove Cabernet Sauvignon 2003, Napa Valley

Port
Graham’s 20 Years Old Tawny Port Portugal

Lunch from Singapore to Seoul
Canape
Satay
With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Appetizers
Combination of Malossal Caviar with lobster-mango salad
*Seared fresh Tuna with parsnip chips and tomato salsa

Soups
*Veloute of haricots blancs
Cream of white haricot beans with forest mushrooms
Cantonese Beef Broth with Turnip and Carrots

Salad
Fresh spinach and Belgium Endive Salad
Singapore dressing infused in shallot oil with sambal, lime and honey
Lemon Vinaigrette

Entrées
*Chicken in red wine sauce with creamed leeks, baby carrots and garlic-mashed potatoes
Gogi Bokum – Korean style fried beef, selected vegetables and steamed rice
Teochew Fish Porridge – Rice porridge with sliced “sung yu” fillet and condiments
Rack of lamb in red wine jus with roasted vegetables and garlic-mashed potatoes
Spinach tortellini with cep mushrooms and roasted cherry tomatoes in cheese sauce

Desserts
*Mint Crème Brulee with raspberry coulis, strawberry ice cream
Mint Crème Brulee with raspberry coulis

Cheeses
Selection of Emmenthal, caprice des dieux, rambol walnut, and boursault vache cheese served with garnishes

Fruits
Fresh Fruits in Seasons

*Exclusively created by Gordon Ramsay, London
SQ16QC SIN-ICN-SFO (LF/DF/SN1/HB) 38-2.3 05-06 FC

The meal was really nice, as you can tell from the pictures. An interesting thing – after serving satays, the F/As passed everyone a shot glass of apple juice with jelly. I just wonder if it is a Singaporean custom or just a new Singapore Airlines service items.

Descent began at 3:31pm Seoul local time, and F/As went around with a final beverage order, as well as another round of hot towels. F/As did their final preparation at 3:46pm, but due to traffic and thick fog at ICN, we did not land till 4:21pm on R/W15L, which was unusual for me. Most of times, ICN tends to use R/W33 for takeoff and landing. We parked at gate 39 eight minutes later, and parked next to AC’s Boeing 767-300ER C-FOCA and I spotted the earlier SQ’s 9V-SQD (777-200ER) heading back to SIN.

I enjoy this flight and am getting used to the wide seats, but I still don’t like the flipping bed functions and for a regional flight, it just seems like a hassle. I also don’t know if it is worthy to go out of the way for this 77W flight (well I had to add an overnight here at ICN because of the late arrival of SQ 16 before my OZ flight to LAX, and the earlier SQ 602 should get in with enough time for a same day connection.) I think it is nice to fly on this super new aircraft. I also feel that SQ really sets our expectations to an unreasonable level when they introduce all these “new” restrictions and “enhanced” fare structure just to fly the 77W. The new plane is really nice, but does it worthy the extra $$$ or hassle? I am not sure… I think I am perfectly fine with the 747-400’s first suites. About the F/As, they are a better team this time, and with a 50% load in F and a six hours flight time, they are calmer and less worried about finishing the meal with enough tie to spare. But I still like the 747 team a bit better.

Thanks for reading the report!

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; May 3, 2007 at 9:00 pm Reason: Oops forgot the photo link
Old May 3, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
My dad just went on business trip couple hours ago ICN-SIN.....

I told him to do his best to take new 773er, but endup flying OLD 773.
- means no fun at all in Business class for the same price.
Old May 3, 2007, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the report, and I can't wait for the pics. I am on this flight in July, so the anticipation is building.
Old May 3, 2007, 10:46 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Thanks for the great report and pictures! Honestly after having taken SQ F on the 747, I don't think the new 77W F cabin could be *that* much better. I mean, how much bigger can you make the seat? Did you notice any differences in the F food service? I like the salad choices (don't recall having a choice before), and seems like there were more soup choices than I remember, but seems like the overall service is similar.... still no appetizer trolley service like LH!

I think the a bigger step change is in the Business product - I wasn't very impressed with the SpaceBeds (I like LH's seat a lot better), but I'm definitely looking forward to taking the 77W in Business TPE-LAX in September!

Lucky, hope you post a report to help build my anticipation. ;-)
Old May 7, 2007, 2:45 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Excellent report - will be on that very flight later this month and look forward to it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.