Search

Christmas in New York in BA F and back in CW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still lovin' it! Looking forward to more!^
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Sounds like a delightful journey! Thanks for sharing!!! ^ ^ ^
Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:14 pm
Suspended

^ ^ ^ Nice Report -- My GF and I did the opposite and spent Christmas in LHR. We did CW each way and while the flights were very full - we took the 9AM from JFK on the 23rd as the EWR 815am was xxd, everything was excellent. My gf who flies mainly AA, UA, etc. couldn't believe CW was business class - she thought it was F!

London was nice over the holidays - a dinner at The Grill at The Savoy on Christmas Eve and The Grill at The Dorchester on Christmas Day, plus afternoon drinks at The Westbury and some nice walking.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 30, 2006, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the feedback everybody.

I arrived back in the UK yesterday, spending the night with my parents in Rutland whilst tonight I am catching up with my brother in Nottingham. I shall post the final installment to this trip report tomorrow upon my arrival home in Brighton.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:06 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Great report!

Just got round to reading your report so far, TEX277 and a great read it was too ^ Jetting off to NY in BA F while unemployed and having a private on-board party too ... I love your style

Here's hoping the New Year brings success in finding that next job. I've been through the redundancy thing twice and both times ended up much happier.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Hotel Transfer, Fast Bag Drop, Terraces lounge, Pre-flight Supper, Duty-Free and Boarding

After a lengthy taxi ride to JFK due to traffic we were dropped off at the BA check-in area. We headed towards the premium check-in area and were greeted by a staff member who asked if we were travelling in First or business. Hearing our response she led us over to the Club World desk and began processing us. We took the opportunity to acquire a couple of CW luggage tags whilst she tagged our baggage. Once we had received our BPs, the lady pointed us towards the security check-point. To be honest this was probably my best experience with security in the US. There was a small queue and the TSA staff were quite pleasant.

Upon entrance into the departure lounge at T7 we began heading towards the BA Terraces lounge. The showed our BPs to the lady on the desk outside the lounge and she swiped us in before directing us to the Terraces lounge (as opposed to the First lounge next door). We headed straight to the MB Spa and were absolutely amazed when the lady to the desk told us that one of us could have a treatment at 19:30 with the other following (as only one masseur was on duty) at 20:00 considering that it was already 18:55. Whilst waiting for the appointment, we grabbed a couple of packets of crisps and a drink before resting on the comfy seats. All too soon it was time for Mrs TEX277’s spa appointment. The masseur introduced herself and led Mrs TEX277 into the treatment room. Instead of twiddling my thumbs whilst waiting for my slot, I took a shower. At the appointed time I returned to the Spa area and fairly soon the masseur came and introduced herself to me. She led me into the treatment room (larger than the T1 and T4 MB rooms that I had used beforehand) and asked me to make myself comfortable whilst she left the room. She gave me a good back massage which I enjoyed a lot more than the one in T4 (due to my headache and also seemed that rather hurried in comparison). As I left the room, she was standing outside with a glass of water for me, she invited me into the relaxation area and told me that I could stay there “until my flight was called”. As that was still over two hours away, I decided that I’d find my wife in the lounge and head to the pre-flight supper dining area. To be honest, I was expecting a dining experience similar to that of the VS Clubhouse at LHR or the LH FCT at FRA. Unfortunately, it was more of a school canteen layout. Just before commencing our dessert, I remarked to Mrs TEX277 that although the lounge was sparsely occupied the staff had not collected our appetiser or main course plates. I’d hate to think of the pile of plates that would accumulate should four people share a table during a busy period. The food was acceptable though and I managed to take of few photos of the dining area and serving station before our return to the Terraces lounge.

After a short rest, we collected our bags from the luggage room and headed for the duty free shop to spend the few dollars that we had remaining. Although we did not have a great deal of choice (considering our $6 budget) we opted for 2 x $3 Hershey’s chocolate bars. We of course went through the shenanigan of leaving our duty free with them before collecting it at the gate. Ultimately we left the US with only 22c remaining. Although there was a large hoard of passengers gathering in our gate area, the F and CW queue was short and we were quickly heading towards the chap with our duty-free on the jet way.

BA182 JFK-LHR 28th December 2006

As we set foot on the aircraft the welcoming lady at the door looked at our BPs (we were seated on the upper deck) and directed us to the far aisle (????) and back down to the stairs. This seemed quite strange as the stairs are located much closer to the near aisle.

We were pleased to realise after climbing the stairs to the upper deck that it was relatively empty. I think that there were only another five passengers sharing it with us. I disappeared into the toilets with my LH F PJs and changed so that I could maximise my sleep time once we were in the air. Both I and Mrs TEX277 turned down the offer of a light salad as an in-flight meal but I opted for a glass of Champagne and she took a glass of water. The menu read:

The Sleeper Service

NightCap

Green salad with olive oil dressing

Warm olive oil bread filled with shaved beef, red and green peppers and Provolone cheese

or

Warm olive oil bread filled with grilled asparagus, courgette and Provolone cheese

or Hot chocolate with warm chocolate chip cookies

Your choice of hot chocolate, coffee, tea or herbal teas - peppermint, blackcurrant, apple or camomile and honey

Breakfast in Bed

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruits
or
Cereals with chilled milk

Warm bacon roll

Warm croissants and muffins

Your choice of coffee or tea

The taxi took us 35 minutes from the gate to wheels-up but the pilot promised us that we’d make it up along the way and we’d be landing at LHR before our scheduled arrival time. After the seatbelt sign was turned of Mrs TEX277 changed into her SQ F PJs and we both extended the seat into its flatbed position and tried to get some sleep. To be honest, my only other CW trip (LHR-LAX-LHR last year - £1300 I class bargain!), did not leave me particularly impressed with the CW seat/bed. So it was with some amazement that I awoke just as we passed the southern coastline of Ireland feeling rather refreshed. Fearing that I had missed the opportunity to use our two remaining £10 off vouchers for use onboard BA, I approached the stewardess and asked for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black (McLaren F1 Limited Edition) and a BA Funplane sets. I was relieved when she returned with the goods and I paid the extra £9 for the whiskey. We managed to get a photo of Mrs TEX277 and my severed head. After only a couple of laps in the hold we were cleared for approach into LHR. The crew on this flight were efficient but their service lacked any sort of warmth or personality.

Although we touched down 10 minutes early, it was not until 48 minutes later that we set foot in T4. First off, there was a long taxi from 27R over to 27L. Then we headed the wrong way on the taxi-way before 27L before parking up at the holding point to cross the active runway. The captain then told us that there was an aircraft occupying our stand we were going to have to wait. After waiting a while, the pilot came on the PA again and said that he had negotiated another stand and that we would be on our way soon. Downside was that it was a remote stand. As we were pulling up on the stand, the plane stopped short before the pilot explained that as they had not activated the parking guidance system we would have to wait until it was on. Finally, it was activated and we finished our taxi. The seatbelt sign went off; we collected our hand-baggage and headed downstairs to the exit doors. We stood there for quite a while until the pilot’s voice came over the PA once more to explain that the although the coaches were there and waiting for us, the truck with the stairs would not arrive for another 10 minutes. A collective groan went up. To top it off, it was raining outside but not enough for us to get too wet between the stairs and the coach.

Baggage collection and LHR T4 Arrivals Lounge and Spa.

I thought that the MB Spa in the Arrivals lounge closed at 12 noon as stated on ba.com, so I told Mrs TEX277 to head straight to the lounge as it was approaching 11:00 and see if she could get an appointment whilst I waited for our luggage. To my disbelief, it only took 15 minutes from setting foot in the terminal until all four of our bags came along the carousel. I really do think that I am going to have to reassess my opinion of the LHR baggage delivery system. This is the second time in quick succession that they have impressed me. I headed to the Arrival Lounge and met up with Mrs TEX277. She informed me that she had secured an appointment for both of us (one after the other) beginning in only 40 minutes time. We occupied our time by polishing off a hearty cooked breakfast. As Mrs TEX277 began her massage, I utilised the shower facilities and just as I was drying myself off, I heard her talking through the door to me. My appointment was 10 minutes earlier than she’d informed and I only had 2 minutes remaining. I finished off and headed for my spa treatment. The lady was awaiting and I knelt onto the seat as she performed the massage through my clothing.

After the treatment was completed, I found Mrs TEX277 in the lounge and we headed down to collect our luggage. As we pushed the trolley out of the lounge I grabbed a quick picture of the entrance desk. We headed outside the terminal building and found bus stop 6 where our minibus would collect us. Although one had just departed as we exited the building it was only about 5 minutes before the next one arrived. He drove the short distance to the car park and dropped us off near to our car. I was not too surprised to realise that I had left the car unlocked whilst we were away.

After the trip

We took this photo to show all of the free stuff that we had acquired on the trip. Obviously we kept the F PJs and amenity kits from both legs. Thanks to all of the vouchers that we used (BA and BAA) everything in the photo (except the whiskey which only cost £9 instead of £19!) was free.

Although we have not opened the Dom Perignon, I was rather alarmed to hear a noise inside the box which led us to believe that one of the glasses was broken. As we had to drive past LHR on the M25 on the way back to Brighton from Nottingham, I thought that we'd drop in and get it exchanged. No luck. We rang WDF from the Arrivals hall in T4 and explained the situation. The lady spoke to her manager but came back and said that we'd have to mail the box into them and they would sort it out. This seemed like a total waste of time and their money (as WDF will reimburse for postal charges) as it could have been rectified right there and then.

Last edited by TEX277; Dec 31, 2006 at 9:50 am
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Very nice report TEX277! Thanks for the detail and the photos -- hope you have a nice new year!

-C
Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:44 pm

A thoroughly enjoyable report, good job!
Old Feb 1, 2007, 4:07 am

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
Happy New Year, thanks for the posting of the trip report.

Luckily someone bumped it so I could read it or may not have got to it.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:13 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
An awsome trip report! I love the positive tone, which reminds me of how much I love flying.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Happy New Year, thanks for the posting of the trip report.

Luckily someone bumped it so I could read it or may not have got to it.
That would be me.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report! ^
Old Feb 7, 2007, 2:14 am

Programs: AA1MM EXP,HH SIL,Hertz 5 stars,ACmember
Excellent report....I really enjoy it. And thanks for the pics.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Super report and smashing pictures!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.