Wiki Posts
Search

Flight report: FRA-CPT-FRA with SAA in C + Y class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2006, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
Flight report: FRA-CPT-FRA with SAA in C + Y class

Thought I would just write a short trip report on SAA, as this is by far the best airline on flights between Europe and South Africa.

SA262 FRA-CPT 25 Nov C class
Departure 1700
Arrival 0600

Having arrived in FRA on Lufthansa, I moved quickly to the lounge which SAA uses (LH business lounge). Nothing worth mentioning about this crowded, uninspiring lounge but it was well stocked with papers which helped pass the 40 or so minutes I spent there. The boarding gate was very close to the lounge, and a huge queue had built up by the time I got there.

Boarding started on time and there was a priority call for Premium class - and for once it was enforced. The aircraft on this route is an A340-600 with a business class cabin seating 42 passengers. This aircraft was full to the brim. Stylish amenity kits in Delsey bags were placed on the seat and there was a selection of german and day old south african papers. Champagne, juice or water were offered on the ground while coats were hung and menus distributed.

A short delay on departure was announced due to curfews in CPT, and we left the stand at 5.15pm. Once in the air, dinner orders were taken and the crew offered apéritifs with a small bowl of nuts; I had Champagne (the pre-take off bubbly was in fact Cap Classique). Here is the dinner menu:

Starter
Sliced roast beef garnished with cornichon and lollo rosso, enhanced by herb mayonnaise
or
Seasonal salad offered with a choice of tomato-thyme dressing or French dressing

Main course
Beef fillet pan fried served with potato cubes, carrots and beans, with a creamy mustard sauce
or
Pork fillet topped with curry sauce, accompanied by carrots, baby corn and green asparagus served with basmati rice
or
Grilled red snapper fillet with basmati saffron rice, served with a ginger-spring onion sauce, accompanied by buttered carrots and snow peas
or
Oricchette noodles with spinach and garlic, served in a tomato sauce garnished with cherry tomatoes

Cheese plate: Cheese castello with spicy herbs, bavaria blue cheese and bonbel cheese with crackers
or
Dessert: Charlotte chili fruit tartlet

Food presentation was awesome, with nice oval and square china and full sized glasses. The main course is freshly assembled in the galley and served individually. There were two reds and two white wines to choose from, all south african of course. However, service was a bit slow and there was a single pass of bread during the entire meal (although there was a nice choice of rolls and breads). Alas, I ended up choosing the wrong main (the snapper) which was bland and dried out with not much taste in the sauce either. The hors d'oeuvre was nice but not exceptional, and so was the cheese.

I was a little surprised that there was no wine list with the menu, I only later realized that wines were listed in the inflight magazine.

The most enjoyable part of the flight was of course seat comfort. The seat extends flat at 180 degrees and is hard to beat for sleeping. You are given a large pillow and a duvet which creates the feeling of a real bed. At the bottom of the seat in front there is a useful compartment for shoes plus space for storing minor items. The toilets are almost double in size and have their own window. They were stocked with additional toiletries and real cloth towels. By the front galley there was a rack with a huge selection of magazines, and was stocked with mini bottles of water and Ceres juices.

There is AVOD with large touch-sensitive screens but I did not take much interest in IFE to be honest. CD selection is rather poor with only about 10 choices, and the headset is of average quality.

To maximise sleeping time, lights are tuned on 90 minutes out of Cape Town for the full breakfast service. Hot towels are provided and then tables are laid out again - no trays as in other airlines business or even first class. Here is the menu

Selected fruit juices
Sliced fresh fruit
Natural or fruit flavoured yogurt
Cereal: muesli or cornflakes

Scrambled eggs with chives served with pork bacon and fried western potatoes
or
a selection of cold meats and cheese

Bread basket filled with an assortment of breads and pastries, served with butter and preserves

I had the hot breakast which was fine. Fruit juice was freshly squeezed but it turned out they did not have fruit yogurt but only natural which I declined.
Service was faster compared to dinner but the queue to use the lavatories built up quickly after the meal service was completed.

The captain took the aircraft around the Cape Peninsula area during approach enabling passengers seating on both sides of the aircraft to admire the beauty of Cape Town's coastal areas. Landing was 5 minutes late at 6.05am local time and disembarkation was swift.
There was a short queue at immigration as the officer asked to see the return portion of the ticket (a procedure never witnessed at JNB, my usual prot of entry in SA) and by the time I reached the baggage hall priority tagged bags appeared on the carousel.

Verdict: excellent seat comfort, pleasant flight, efficient but not overly warm service.

SA263 CPT-FRA 9 Dec. Y class
Departure 0750
Arrival 1845

I had to change my travel plans and fly out of SA a day earlier than due. To my dismay the flight was booked out in business class which surprised me as this isn't really a business route, but I accepted a downgrade to Y class which had a few seats left.

Cape Town airport is abysmal. No wonder they are arguing whether they shoudl even host a semifinal during the next world cup. Facilities are so cramped that I was relieved to have a *G card and check-in at the Premium class desk. There was no avoiding the lines at security or immigration: the latter had 6 desks in total, of which only 3 were manned. This during the morning "rush" hour (4 longhauls: SAA to FRA, BA to LHR, QR to Doha and LTU to Munich). I had access to the Baobab lounge which is large and nicely decorated. The bar is staffed by two uninterested staff who point to the other side of the lounge when asked for coffee (there is a self-service tea and coffee station located across the lounge).

Boarding was called and I was able to join the priority queue. Then I settled into my seat where I would spend the next 12 hours. Actually I was pleasantly surprised by the legroom: 34" makes a huge difference compared to the 31-2" which is industry standard. Before departure (on time) we were given a choice of papers and kids were handed out fun packs. Small amenity kits, containing socks, eyeshades, toothbrush and toothpaste were placed in the seat - again something which is rarely seen on other airlines.

We left on time and airborne we were given menus
Breakfast:
Fruit juice
Yogurt
Fresh fruit salad
Scrambled eggs, corn pancake, lyonnaise potato and sausage
or
selection of cold meat and cheese
Croissant, jam, butter
Tea, coffee

I had the hot breakfast which was nice, except for the cling-film covered croissant which was a little stale.
To pass the time, I used my PTV but the film offerings weren't really appaling so I ended up watching short features instead. One option that I really like was the tail camera which allows you to take advantage of a day flight in clear skies even while sitting in the middle of the aircraft.

About six hours into the flight we were offered lunch:
Seasonal salad with creamy french dressing
Lamb and chickpea stew
or
Chicken Zanzibar with basmati rice
Cheese, crackers
Lemon meringue pie
Chocolate

The quality of lunch was outstanding. The salad was very fresh and the chicken was accompanied by a mildly spicy, delicious sauce. There were pre-lunch drinks offered but no further bar service so you are asked for your choice of wine to go with lunch at the same time. I had the chardonnay which was very nice and served in a stylish plastic glass.

During the remainder of the flight there were passes of water or juice, and about one hour out of FRA we were offered a choice of beef or cheese sandwiches with more drinks.

Landing was on time and disembarkation was not too slow.

Verdict: surprisingly good economy product. Great legroom, AVOD IFE, good meals with hot mains chosen from a menu, amenity kits. As good as economy class can get on a 12-hr daylight flight.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:07 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thanks very much for the report. I'm doing FRA-CPT next month, so your timing is perfect! ^
Old Dec 26, 2006, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for writing an excellent report!^ SAA sounds like a great airline in both Business and Coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.