Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OZ F ICN-LAX November 2006 Excellent

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

OZ F ICN-LAX November 2006 Excellent

The final flight that I wanted to write about was the Asiana flight, as people kept on asking about how OZ service was, and how the full flat seats were, so hopefully these pictures will answer all your concern. There is no suite, but a good sleeper seat. There is pajama, but no amenity kit. But there is a farewell gift. The F/As are as great as always, and there is nothing bad to say about them. These two F/As speak decent English and there was no communication problem. Sure, it can use better seats, but I feel that first class is not the focus of OZ and the Korean market now. Their price is very competitive, so you can’t ask for more.

I stayed at the transit hotel, which was okay. Then I headed towards the lounge, which was not busy at all, and the food selection include the usual abalone porridge, Chinese dim sum, Chicken Yakitori, smoked salmon, duck breast, and cold cuts, as well as various Korean snacks and cup noodles. There were lots of food to eat, as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. There is complimentary beverage.

November 9, 2006
OZ 202 ICN-LAX Lv1630 Arr1010 Boeing 747-400 HL7423
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5btbE
I left for the gate a bit earlier to do some plane spotting, as you see at the photo album. Boarding began at 4pm and the ground agent spotted my yellow boarding pass and immediately dragged me towards the front of the line. There is a separate premium and economy class line, but it is good that first class passengers were given priority. Yes, there is a secondary check, but as they checked everyone, it was not as intrusive as in the US. I guess there are two different ways – selective, but thorough passenger, and checking everyone. Once on board, the F/A immediately brought me to the seat, and two “off duty” or “on duty” pilots were already seated at Seat 3H and 3K. Newspapers were well spread at the in-flight console, and new set of pajama was passed out. Then beverage order was taken and a bowl of mixed nuts were served. The flight was full in J and Y, but not so in F. I had both 1K and 1H to myself, as most passengers have their own two seats. However I am disappointed that Bulgari amenity kits are not given, but the bathroom is well stocked with Bulgari beauty products and lotions, as well as combs, toothbrush sets, and shaving kits. Door was closed at 4:29pm and then we pushed back a minute later. We took off from Runway 33L at 4:42pm.

Flying time was ten hours and fourteen minutes, as we climbed to 33,000 feet as we headed towards Japan, and after passing Tokyo, we climbed up to 34,000feet, and then 35,000feet, and then 36,000feet, and up to 37,000 feet as we hit the West Coast, and Monterrey, and then into LAX.

Seat belt sign was turned off at 4:48pm, and then menus were passed out. Table was immediately set-up and beverage was served, as well as a plate of canapés. Then everything is served course by course. You can choose from an array of appetizers, and I chose everything except salami and asparagus rolls, and then there the soup is served, and both choices are presented at a silver bowl, which is rarely seen in any airline, even CX and SQ now. Then salad course is served, and F/As tossed the salad with your choices of dressings in the wooden boats. And then entrée was served from a trolley and you picked the entrée and accompaniments. Then there are four selections of cheese (Camembert, Cheddar, Blue, and Gouda), as well as fruits (melon, watermelon, orange, grapes, and pineapple). The meal service is excellent, except there can be more selection of pastries or other types of desserts.

Wine List
Champagne
1996 Taittinger Cometes de Champagne
Piper-Heidsieck Brut

White Wines
2001 Chablis 1er Cru, Fourchaume
2003 Raymond Napa Valley Reserve Chardonnay
2003 Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

Red Wines
1999 Chateau Leoville Poyferre, 2e Cru Classe, Saint-Julien
2001 Vosne Romanee 1er Cru, Domaine Bertagna
2000 Clos Du Val

Dessert Wines
Port Sandman 20 Years Old Tawny Porto
Blandy’s 10 Years Old Malmsey Madeira
2003 Jackson-Triggs Vida VQA Ice Wine

Liqueurs
Cognac & Liqueurs
Hennessey X.O.
Drambuie
Cointreau
Bailey’s Irish Cream

Menu
Seoul-Los Angeles
Dinner
Selection of Canape
Parma Ham with Melon Ball
Lobster Medallion with Cherry Tomato
Cream Cheese with Pecan Nut

Hors D’Oeuvre
Poached Abalone with Italian Dressing
Smoked Trout and Carrot Terrine
Cooked Salami with Asparagus
Cooked Prawn

Asparagus Cream Soup
Or
Onion Soup

Tossed Salad
Olive Oil Dressing & Chive Dressing
Iceberg lettuce, wooden mushrooms, pine nuts, alfafa sprouts, olive, bacon bits, red, yellow and green pepper strips, endives, and Radicchio leaves

Main Courses
Deep Fried Lobster served with Black bean sauce
Or
Beef Tenderloin Steak served with green pepper corn sauce
Or
Grilled Fresh Seabream served with Champagne sauce

To complement your meal choice
Boiled Potatoes, Baked Potatoes, Jade Rice
Cauliflower, Broccoli, Pimento, Pumpkin, Carrot and Green Bean
Of course, the lobster entrée was really good as usual.

Selection of Cheese
Fresh Fruit

Dessert
Coffee Mirror Cake with Raspberry Sauce

Coffee & tea
Assorted Petits Fours

After dinner, the F/As began to do the turnover service, and set up the bed with mattress, pillow, and duvet. The Korean cookies, chocolate, and mixed nuts were placed on the console along with bottled water. Entertainment is definitely the weakest link and I did not even bother with watching any programs. Just went straight to sleep!

Refreshments
A Famous Rice Soup “Nul-Eun-Bab” accompanied by side dishes
Hot Ramen
Hot Sandwich
Assorted Fresh Fruits
We are happy to offer you a range of refreshments throughout flight upon your request.

Lights were turned back on at 12:38am Seoul local time (7:38am), which was a bit earlier than expected, but two hours prior to scheduled arrival time. Hot towels were offered, along with breakfast orders. Everything was as elaborate as before, and the meal was as good as ever. The fruit plate features apples, kiwis, grapes, and orange (the orange is awful though), and then I had some cornflakes and strawberry yogurt (served in a silver cup). Then the entrée was served from a tray, and I had most of the sides. I can’t even finish the Omelette. The shrimp omelette is basically a plain omelette topped with shrimps in a light cream sauce. Then last minute duty free orders were taken, and then the farewell gifts were offered. It was a nice set of wine corks from Wedgewood. I am sure my parents will like them, and they were better than the Versace stuff I got last time. But if you ask me, I will rather have an amenity kit, but anyway, it is a nice gesture.

Breakfast
Fresh Orange Juice
Fresh Fruit Appetizer

Cereal
Cornflake, Graham Cereal Served with Fresh Milk or Low Fat Milk

Fruit Yogurt

Korean Royal Cuisine “Yuk Gae Jang”
A famous Korean Hot Spicy Beef Soup
Accompanied by Steamed Rice and Various Kinds of Side Dish
Or
Vegetable Lasagne
Served with Tomato Sauce and Parmesan Cheese
Or
Shrimp Omelette

To Complement your meal choice
Deep Fried Potato, Grilled Sausage, Bacon
Baked Tomato, Broccoli, Button Mushroom

Croissant, Almond Danish, Raspberry Muffin
Butter, Honey, Jam, Marmalade

Coffee or Tea

(Korean Dishes are available to you on board Asiana flights from Soup only, on 24 hours advanced order basis.)

Korean Royal Table D’hote
Starter
Sautéed Squash with Scallop
Prawn & Bamboo Shoot Slice with Pine Nut Dressing

Chicken Porridge with Ginseng

Selection of Main Dish
Broiled Amadai
Stewed Abalone, Scallop, Sea Cucumber Roll
Bibimbab
Stewed Seabream with beef shank
Beef Tenderloin with Pine Mushroom
Beef Short Rib “Bul-Gal-Bi”
Grilled Black Cod Fish
Steamed Seafood
Beef Short Rib “Bul-Gal-Bi” with Vegetables

To complement your meal choice:
Steamed rice and Various kinds of Side dish

Dessert
Korean Traditional Cookie

Well, descent soon began at 9:29pm, as we were slowed down by ATC a bit. We landed on R/W24R at 9:56am, still ahead of schedule. Nevertheless, it took us a long time to taxi and tow into our gate, 101. We were parked at 9:56am, and as only the second door was used. Those Y passengers between Door one and two actually got to deplane first, and they held back J passengers in the upper deck and Y passengers in the main deck. It was a very pleasant experience, and I will highly recommend to everyone.

For the return flight, (which I will fly next month) and I am sure it may be the same menu. Well I will give you a preview now.

Los Angeles-Seoul
Lunch
Selection of Canape
Pepper Crusted Tuna
Ham & Cheese Layered
Cream Cheese

Hors D’Oeuvre
Serrano Ham Wrapped with Asparagus
Lobster Medallion, Salmon Roe

Asparagus Cream Soup
Or
Vegetable Minestrone

Tossed Salad
Served with Cilantro Cream Dressing and Italian Dressing

Main Courses
Beef Fillet served with Bernaise Sauce
Or
“Mixing & Harmonizing”
A Famous Korean Cuisine ‘Bi-Bim-Bab’
Steamed Rice Mixed with Various Kinds of Vegetables, accompanied by Hot pepper paste, Sesame Oil, Assorted Side Dish and Soup
Or
Grilled Seabass served with herb butter

To Complement your meal choice
Almond Croquette, Roasted Red Potato, Steamed Rice
Carrot, Celery, Daikon, Kailan, Broccoli and Mixed Vegetable

Assorted Cheese
Fresh Fruit

Dessert
Tiramisu cake

Coffee & tea
Assorted Petit Fours

Refreshments
Udong
Hot Ramen
Hot Sandwich
Assorted Fresh Fruits
We are happy to offer you a range of refreshments throughout flight upon your request.

Snack
Appetizer
Crab Claw, Sea Scallop and Italian Dressing

Seafood Festival served with hot spicy sauce
Or
Beef Brochette served with Teriyaki sauce
Or
Salmon Filet served with White Wine sauce

To complement your meal choice
Fettuccini, Red Potato, Rosemary Potato, Broccoli, Carrot, Yellow Squash

Apple Cheese Souffle
Coffee & Tea

Thanks for reading the report!

Carfield
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's always a nice treat to visit the Trip Report forum and find one of your comprehensive reports awaiting. Allow me to be amongst the first to thank you for yet another fine series of reports. FlyerTalk is lucky to have such a prolific traveler as well as writer. ^ ^
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:38 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Excellent report! Wonder why they stopped giving out the Bvlgari amenity kit - we got them (with PJs and gift) on this flight in Jun.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:08 am

Oops.

Last edited by hairpeace; Nov 12, 2006 at 6:15 am
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Thanks for the report. Can you elaborate on the farewell gift? It looks like some secret ninja weapon (disguised as a spoon)...!
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
Nice report!! Carfield, you lead a blessed life!! I'm on P.S. FC this weekend and look forward to a nice meal.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:35 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Excellent report as always! Have you ever pre-ordered the Korean Royal Table D’hote? I guess it would be tough to pass up the lobster dish - which I still regret not ordering when I flew OZ F on HKG-ICN.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I enjoyed reading your report and the pictures were a bonus.The food looked excellent with good presentation.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Thanks Carfield!

I find the seat extremely comfortable, even though it's not a suite. Food and beverage selection and presentation is definitely superb also. Reminiscent of the old days on the great airlines of the world. I have had a bit of an English barrier each time I've flown Asiana, though.

Thanks for the report.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Thanks for the great report! I'm doing OZ F on the LAX-ICN routing next week and this gives me a lot to look forward to!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 5:24 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thanks for this report, it's fantastic ^
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Wonderful report, thanks! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.