* Alliance RTW in C class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
NZ 782 SYD-CHC
Seats 2a and 2b
A320

After i quick check in, i notice on the boarding pass that the flight time is 8.20, not the 8.50 that i was expecting, just as well we got to the airport in good time, or so we thought. In fact im not really sure exactly what flight i took or what is departure time was. Let me explain, some months ago i was notified that the flight was to be a Freedom Air flight, later i was told it was a Freedom Air flight with NZ service and finally back to a Freedom Air flight. Oh well i thought at least it will get me from A to B. Further confusion arose from the lounge bouncer (Kiwiflyer i love that term) who told me that it was a Freedom Air flight but not to worry as they would look after me. The lounge bouncer then checked my next 2 NZ flights for me and told me my next flight was from Melbourne to Auckland. Wrong!!. After clearing that up i enjoyed the facilities of the excellent NZ lounge at Sydney. Wandering down to the gate at 7.50, the supposed boarding time, i see an Air New Zealand A320 sitting there. At the time we were supposed to depart, we start boarding and we leave the gate at the original flight time. The Captain warned us we were in for a long taxi and he wasnt joking, 15 minutes without stopping or queueing.
After the flight had got going i was the lucky recipient of the Customer service questionaire, so i asked the flight attendant if this was NZ or Freedom Air. She seemed quite concerned that i thought it could be a Freedom Air flight and when i showed her the itinery details, she felt moved to write it up in her flight attendants log. She told me Freedom Air dont have business class and that they wouldnt dream of putting Freedom Air on a route like this. Most of you are probably baffled by this, maybe Kiwiflyer will unravel it for me.
This was my third Air New Zealand flight and once again the crew were friendly and efficient. Even though it was 8.30 in the morning i was offered champagne which i wouldnt have accepted, except i remembered Smart51's advice to keep on boozing, and i felt obligated to obey someone who has the stamina to read this drivel.
The food was a 3 course breakfast, its not really interesting enough to type out, but it was very pleasant.
The flight landed at 2.45 which was either 5 mins early or 25 mins late.
Immigration was genuinely friendly, too quick as i had to wait 10 mins for the bags, which came out first!!
Into a cab within 25 mins of deplaning, perfectly acceptable in my book.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Even though it was 8.30 in the morning i was offered champagne which i wouldnt have accepted, except i remembered Smart51's advice to keep on boozing, and i felt obligated to obey someone who has the stamina to read this drivel.
From the first trip report I wrote on my RTW adventure:

Originally Posted by Moomba
After boarding the First FA, Mark came to collect my jacket to stow away for the flight. He then came back and asked me if I would like something to drink. I replied with ‘Is it too early for Champagne?’ His response was ‘It is never too early for Champagne’ and headed off on his cork popping mission.
Keep up the good work Gatwick Alan ^
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:08 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
See post 20 (you better have a drink too!!)
I wish i can but it is Ramadan
Old Oct 18, 2006, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Sorry you got caught up in NZ's A320 stuff up. Earlier this year they decided to combine all their A320 flights with Freedom Air's into the same operating company (mainly to lower staff costs). Of course this confused pax no end. So they backtracked and created Zeal320, with additional tag "with full Air NZ service" or similar.

To add to the confusion at the same time they renumbered all the A320 flights, and further changed the service offering on the A320 flights to Brisbane so that the business seats became premium economy (with premium economy service rather than business service).
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:44 am

Where r u Gatwick Man????
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
so out of all these airlines you tried out, which *A carrier did you like the best?
Thank You
Old Oct 27, 2006, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Moomba

I don't understand why CX can't use metal to the UK but BA can
As I understand it, it's to do with the length of the blade. Given 99% of BA's flights are either to or from the UK it made sense for them to get compliant cutlery, but with other carriers it's easier to just sub in plastic knives.

I believe SQ on the LHR-SIN run have specially designed knives in F but plastic ones in J.

Gatwick Alan - good report!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Driving tour of South Island New Zealand
After getting to the hotel we set about exploring Christchurch on foot. I like the place and have the feeling that i will find that i didnt allow enough time here. I suppose its better to leave a place wanting more than feeling fed up before your stay is up. The walk along the river is very pleasant, and very english, i suppose the fact that the roads on either side are called Oxford terrace and Cambridge terrace just add to the feeling.
We stated at the Camelot Hotel Cathedral Square. Massive rooms, im convinced its a refurbished office building, why else would you have a 750 square column in the room that wastes a massive amount of space. The furnishings are rather tired, but its the location which sells this hotel.
We had a car delivered to the hotel and then set off on a drive around parts of the south island. Being English i found the driving easy, but the car was a Nissan Maxima automatic and wouldnt be a problem for those of you who drive on the other side of the road. Dont think Freeway or Motorway, think single lane each way roads with dual carriageway passing places and then think very winding roads in the mountains, but then think very little traffic and non aggressive drivers out of the main cities, and youll realise that driving in New zealand is a pleasure.
We set off from Christchurch and headed down to Dunedin, the first part of the journey is fairly mundane across fields and plains, but the latter part is much more interesting, particularly when the road meets the coast. An interesting innovation by the state is free coffee for drivers. A number of cafes on the way have "driver reviver" signs, you just go into the cafe, sign the book and get a free coffee. Of course a lot of people end up buying something else as well so the local trader wins both ways.
Dunedin is reputed to be like Scotland, and it is very evident in the architecture, theres even a Scottish shop. We stayed at Cargills and were very happy with the place we got a 2 bedroom suite with spa bath at no extra charge. Nice restaurant and in good condition generally.
After a nice walk around Dunedin we set off for Queenstown. The drive is just spectacular, particularly the nearer you get to Queenstown. I was complaining there should have been more stopping places, but then again if there had been we would never have got to Queenstown.
In Queenstown we stayed at the A-Line hotel. This is a hotel built in Swiss style, we were lucky enough to get the top floor of the 3 storey building, and the views over the bay were something you would never tire of.
We had been told that Queenstown is very touristy, well i suppose it is a bit, but nothing to spoil the feel of the place, and anyway if getting the gondola to the top of the mountain to get the most beautiful views is being touristy, then i plead guilty.
Number_6 in the New Zealand forum suggested a side trip to Arrowtown, which is only a 20 minute drive from Queenstown. Its a quaint little town a bit like an old American town, its fame is the gold rush New Zealand style, and you can pan in the local river, better though is the nice gentle walk along the riverbank, very serene and relaxing.
We have been incredably lucky with the weather so far, but on the drive from Queenstown to Fox Glacier this was about to change. We set off very early as the sun rose but as the journey progressed, the cloud got blacker until we suffered pouring rain and high wind for the last half of the journey. Im sure the scenery was lovely but the cloud was so low, we didnt really see it. It was certainly scenic for the journey around Lake Hawea where the sunrise made for great light and shade.
At Fox Glacier we stayed at the Fox Country Hotel, part of the Scenic Circle chain, the same as Queenstown, but as nice as that one was, this one was poor. Very small rooms, poor toilet and shower, with the sink in the bedroom. Just as well this was an overnight stop.
What to do in Fox Glacier in the rain and low cloud when nothing is operating and the place is so small that you can tour the shops in 10 minutes, go to the local bar, thats what. A few steinlagers later and a couple of interesting conversations with a singaporean couple and australian couple and the rain didnt seem so bad.
As we had to move on the next morning we didnt get to sample the things that Fox Glacier is famous for, such as visiting the Glaciers. The next day was sunny though and we had a pleasant drive up to Greymouth where we arrived rather early, but that was the best thing we did because the town centre had been closed for a series of motorbike street races and they were just great fun.
Caught the afternoon transalpine train back to Christchurch, fantastic views and the outside observation car is great for photography. If you are a train buff you'll love this journey, but for anyone its a great ride providing the weather is good.
Have to say weve been very lucky on the South Island, only one day of bad weather. The scenery is great and i will come back without question and give the place some more time as it deserves it.
For our last overnight we stayed at the Gateway Airport Motor Lodge Motel, perfectly satisfactory, without doubt the best thing is the Airport transfer which is done in a stretch limo, the driver said, watch the envious faces as you arrive, and he was right.
Now its off to the North Island to try our luck there.

NZ 434 CHC-WLG
Seats 8a and 8c
737-300

Walking into the domestic terminal i'm looking at the NZ check in area when the premium counter man beckons me over. After giving him the tickets he sees that we are on a business round the world ticket and says he will block the middle seat off for us. I told him that would make it just like Lufthansa intra europe flying, he said say it quietly or the management might think its a good idea and do it here too !!
He then said without being asked, that we should use the lounge while waiting for the flight and he would ring and tell them to expect us. Security was a breeze, i asked if they wanted the laptop out and they said we'll look at the x-ray and ask you after if we see anything odd. They didnt. They were even complementing my companion on her choice of handbag. We went to the lounge where we were greeted by name and made very welcome into a nice lounge with a good selection of snacks for a fairly small airport.
Such a pleasent experience, made me feel like i was travelling twenty years ago.
The flight was pretty busy and was only a 30 minute flying time.
The inflight service was as follows;
Drinks - Water or Water
Food - Choc chip cookie or Apricot Yoghurt cookie
Desert - Boiled sweet - Red, Green or White flavour
Landed on time and baggage was pretty quick, even though ours with the priority tags came out last.

Oh its raining!!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buck3y3nut
so out of all these airlines you tried out, which *A carrier did you like the best?
Thank You
So far, Singapore, but i still have to try NZ's new product and the delights of US Air, which from previous experience i know wont come near to Singapore's Raffles
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMART51
Where r u Gatwick Man????
Getting over the hangover!!!, but seriously, im not prepared to pay some of the New Zealand hotels prices for internet access, hence ive waited until i'm back in a lounge, which i am now, must dash, they have a free bar you know!!!
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:41 pm

Getting over the hangover!!!, but seriously, im not prepared to pay some of the New Zealand hotels prices for internet access, hence ive waited until i'm back in a lounge, which i am now, must dash, they have a free bar you know!!!
Now that ramadan is finished i will join you but from afar ^
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Gatwick Alan - sorry I missed you. Don't know what I was thinking. YGPM.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

The North Island

From the moment we left the airport to the moment we picked up the next hire car, it rained. 2 days of continuous heavy rain and strong winds, punctuated by occasional periods of not quite so heavy rain!!
We made the best of it and still went out and saw things the best we could. My lasting impression of Wellington is that there was so much more to see if the weather had been kinder. Another place to put on my list for a return visit.
We stayed at the Quest Atrium on the Terrace which is a serviced apartment hotel. When we got to check in they gave us the good news that we had been upgraded to the penthouse, they then gave us the bad news that it was on the top, 9th floor and that the lifts, and indeed anything else were not working due to a fire in a nearby electrical substation. Most of downtown Wellington was without power, we left the suitcases at reception and staggered up the 9 floors to find a very nice apartment at the top. It was booked because after 3 and a halfs week travelling we were in need of a washer dryer and the apartment, in an excellent location had one. I would happily stay there again, not cheap, but then not that expensive either at NZ$ 230 a night.
This hire car was a Mitubishi Diamante from Avis, its seen better days, but thats what you get when you pick up from one place and drop off in another.
We drove up to Napier next, the drive over the hills north of Wellington is just as dramatic as the South Island but thereafter becomes flatter and eventually ends at the coastline at Napier.
Napier reminds me of an English seaside resort such as Worthing or Eastbourne, except its much cleaner.
Its well worth taking a drive up to the top of Bluff lookout for views of the various bays and headlands
The overnight stop was at the Best Western Spanish Lady Motel, a typical motel, but perfectly satisfactory.
Next was a drive to Rotorua, a fairly easy drive compared to those which had gone before, we had a break at the lovely lake Taupo.
Accomodation was at the Best Western Midway Hotel, where i'd stayed once before. Its on Fenton Street which is one long street of hotels and motels.
Everybody visits one of the thermal parks, so did we, choosing Hells Gate as it has the only mud baths in New Zealand. After walking the park, we took the plunge and had a mud bath, followed by a mandatory cold shower, and they keep you in it until all the mud has gone, then its into the hot sulphur springs pool and finally a shower with a temperature of your choosing!!
Great fun and i felt strangely relaxed afterwards.
And now its time to leave New Zealand, a pleasant drive from Rotorua to Auckland Airport to hand back the car.
Unfortunately a meet with Kiwiflyer didnt come off, still it gave me the chance to look at the tiny Qantas terminal.

Next report, what i thought of the new Air New Zealand Business premier flight
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Gold
I'm really enjoying your report! Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2006, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

NZ 6 AKL- LAX
Seats 1a and 2a

Premium check in is a separate private area, with separate security and it was quick and efficient. They also let you pay for the departure tax, which saves the stupid queueing at the bank.
We headed for the lounge which is nice and large with a good offering of food and drinks, because i'd read the food portions on the flight were not great i stuffed myself with some lovely noodles and beef while keeping up my duty to Smart51 by sampling the alcohol.
After the lounge we headed down to Gate 10, and its time for me to admit my stupidity. I'd been nagging Di to make sure she put all her creams etc into her suitcase, so what did i do, put my washbag in my hand luggage. As its a flight to the U.S we have to do secondary screening and of course we get selected. I'd probably become customed to sensible treatment since leaving the U.K and had forgotten how stupid the security is in the U.S and the U.K. Its amazing how dozens of planes in the far east and australasia arent being blown up daily as we arent removing laptops or leaving our liquids behind. Anyway i digress, the New Zealand guy was very apologetic and put as much as he could into a clear plastic bag for us, he also didnt check too thoroughly into the bowels of our bags, which was just as well. He did have to throw my travel size shaving foam away though as that was an obvious danger to the flight, just as well he found it or i might not have been here to type the tale.
So after all that its time to board, we are greetied at the door by a friendly crew, ive never had a bad crew on NZ.
We turn left to head to our seats and the initial impression is of a very smart set up and layout, different to anything i'd seen before. We chose seats at the front for the peace and quiet though i have to say 1a and 1k are too close together, foot to foot.
The seat itself is comfortable and a crew member came round to make sure we knew how to use everything. In seat mode you can recline for take off as the seats are 45 degrees to the window and screened off. You can even have your legs up on the foot stool. To turn the seat into bed mode everything has to be stowed away, then you press a button and the seat turns over into a flat bed, revealing a pillow, quilt and mini mattress. Im 6ft and found the bed long enough and wide enough, if a little hard. When in bed mode you are quite private. I slept on and off for about 6 hours which is good for me.
Now for the things i dont like. The recline and table control is on a pad right where your elbow is and i, and lots of others where hitting the controls by mistake. When sitting upright you are staring straight at the person across the aisle which is a bit disconcerting, especially when eating. The seats are ideal for travelling solo, but its difficult to talk to anyone travelling with you, they say thats what the foot stools are for, but theyre not really suitable for a long sit.
The flight attendant told me that the number of toilets had been reduced by the fit out and that the crews were not happy about that, and indeed i had to queue, even in business.
The menu follows and as others have said the dinner service is all style and no substance. My main course consisted of 1 piece of broccoli, half a chicken breast and a scoop of rice. Yes it tasted nice but just not enough, especially as the starter was small too, just as well i'd eaten in the lounge. Breakfast was much more substantial. Noting a report about only being offered Red or White wine, Im pleased to report we were offered wine by name and shown the bottle, and yes Smart51 i had some.
The AVOD was patchy, i watched a film, but it wasnt available to my companion. I couldnt get any CD's to work, The games worked except the mini golf which froze after the first hole, most annoying as i'd got a birdie!!
In conclusion i think its a great seat for night flights, being flat is a real plus and ive not slept on better, but for day flights id choose a more conventional seating arrangement like Singapore's particularly if travelling with someone.

Dinner
Starter
Sugar and citrus cured salmon on baby spinach, yellow daikon, capsicum and kaffir lime creme fraiche with lemon infused New Zealand olive oil

Main Course
Beef fillet steak with speck and horseradish butter, mushrooms, roasted parsnips, courgette and potato
Karengo crusted snapper with creamy potato mash, vine ripened tomato, wilted spinach and New Zealand verjuice and lime sauce.
Caramelised chicken breast with spiced pear, blue cheese risotto and steamed broccolini.
Light choice of roasted rosemary field mushroom tart with crispy pancetta, rocket, parmesan and balsamic dressing.

Dessert
Rhubarb frangipane with passion fruit creme
Gourmet ice cream dessert of blackcurrant and blackberry and spicy apple crumble ice cream.

Cheese
A selection of fine New Zealand Cheese

We landed 10 minutes early at 12.30 and we were in the Holiday Inn Airport 50 minutes after getting off the plane. Shall i say that again?, we got off the plane, cleared immigration, customs and caught the shuttle bus all within 50 minutes.
Immigration was friendly and quick, so was customs. Ok it was terminal 2 but even so i was pleasently surprised. My previous experiences of LAX immigration has been bad, so either i was lucky or LAX are trying harder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.