Wiki Posts
Search

One World RTW in First

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2006, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Part 13 ADL-DRW-PER

I arrived at ADL airport around an hour before my flight and headed to the check-in desks. I was checked into both flights with the usual banter about my odd routing.

I asked for my AA number to be replaced with my BA number and with help from her colleague and a lot of finger crossing the agent managed to get the desired result. My BP’s were re-printed with the BA number on them and I was on my way to the lounge, with a very pleasant ‘enjoy your trip’ from the agent.

I had a look around the lounge as this was the first time I had seen this part of the new ADL airport. The lounge was quite large and had the usual continental breakfast offerings.
I grabbed a juice and sent a couple of emails and then went to my gate to await boarding. My 737-800 with the huge flip up sections on the wings was gleaming in the early morning sunshine.

Boarding commenced 20 minutes prior to the departure time and I was greeted by name as the lead FA checked my BP.

Flight QF754 ADL-DRW Seat 1F
Departure time: 08:40
Date: October 3, 2006
Aircraft: 737-800

My jacket was taken and water and juice were offered prior to take off.
We pushed back on time and were in the air a few minutes later.

After the seat belt sign was off we were offered breakfast in the business class cabin. There were three rows of four and four empty seats on this flight.

The breakfast offerings were poached eggs with hollandaise, grilled tomato and bacon on an English muffin or toasted muesli. Both were served with a small bowl of fruit, toast and a croissant.

I had the egg and bacon dish which was extremely good although, as could be expected, the toast was a little soggy. Juice and water were delivered along with the meal.

Fresh plunger coffee and tea was offered after the main meal service.
Hot towels were handed out after the meal and I settled back to watch the world go by from my window seat.

Around 45 minutes before landing coffee and biscuits were served as a pre-landing snack.

We landed at 12:05, 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

I made my way to the QP to await my next flight to Perth.
The lounge was quite busy when I arrived as ADL, BRS and ASP flights were all due to take off within half an hour of each other.

There was soup, sandwiches, salad, cheese, ham, dips and crackers on offer along with tea, coffee, juices and soft drinks on tap.
At 13:00 the bar opened with self service wine and sparkling wine and bar service for other drinks.

Just as one of the flights prior to mine was being called for boarding I saw a woman go up to the salad bar and fill a Tupperware container with salad. She then proceeded to stuff the container in her bag and leave the lounge. Keep going madam and soon there will be less on offer for all of us.

The aircraft that was to take me to Perth was late in from Alice Springs and as such boarding was delayed by ten minutes. At 15:05 the lounge agent called the flight for boarding. The lounge emptied out to find a long queue to join the flight. QF don’t have separate boarding lanes for premier passengers, however, they do call business and OW elites to board first. If you are in the lounge at this stage it doesn’t really help much.

Flight QF793 DRW-PER Seat 1A
Departure time: 13:15
Date: October 3, 2006
Aircraft: 737-800

On board my jacket was taken and pre take off juice and water were offered.
We pushed back at 13:19 only 4 minutes late.

After take off hot towels were handed out and drink orders were taken by the head FA.
After the drinks service the cart was pushed out with a lunch / dinner service.
There was a choice of Lamb Rogan Josh served with rice or a Chicken tandoori salad with yoghurt dressing.

Wines were offered with the meal service and were refilled after the meals had been delivered to all the business class passengers. There were four seats empty of the 12 in business class on this flight.
Coffee and tea were offered after this.

Some time after the meal trays were taken away the FA came through with small tubs of ice cream to be devoured by the piggy patrons on this flight.
After this the FA sat back and waited for people to request drinks, which were happily delivered. A water run was done a little later in the flight.

I, as usual, spent the time peering out the window looking down on the rugged Australian landscape below.

We landed at 17:30 and I was quickly off the plane and making my way to the baggage hall. Not long after this my bag appeared within the first few bags. I was in a cab and on my way into Perth by 17:55.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Moomba
What no pictures of my nuts???
Well exactly ... how very remiss of you

Wonderful stuff, Moomba, despite that glaring omission I still have a 'live' AONE3 on the go, yet you've already got me wondering when I'll be able to start my next xONEx
Old Oct 7, 2006, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Great trip report Moomba! Keep up the good work and enjoy the rest of your travels! ^
Old Oct 7, 2006, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Part 14 PER-MEL

As usual I arrived at the airport early and joined the queue for Business class passengers. An agent from further down in the international check-in area came down and grabbed the guy in front of me and myself and asked us to make our way down his end.

He checked the other guy in and called me over saying "I just wanted to ease the queue at the other end there, nobody seems to see us down here". Given the queues were not long at all I suspect it was a case of I'm bored come down my end. Well ifyou want some visitors perhaps you should not have a sign in front of the queue ropeways to your section saying ‘No Entry’, you might get more people down there.

I asked for my FF number to be changed and he said it couldn’t be done as the system rejects it. Even if I wanted to change to a Qantas number it would still reject it. I asked how come the ADL staff could do it two days ago. He said they must have a different system over there. He always has people asking to change and he says it can’t be done.

Oh well I get my BP with my AA number on it and wander up to security.
There is no fast track security at Perth domestic terminal but the queues were quite short and I was on my way to the QP in no time.

I entered the quite large QP and went to the service desk where I asked could I change my FF number to my BA one. Sure Sir, do you have the number? I gave him my BA card and he flashed his fingers across the keyboard and printed a BP with my BA number on it. He said "Oh, your only Sapphire with BA" and I said "no I am emerald as can be seen by the green oval on my card". Somehow QF systems think my BA card is only Sapphire.

He was able to manually override the OW status with Emerald though.
Makes you wonder if this happens all the time and some BA card holders are perhaps missing out on u/g or the like because the systems don’t communicate with one another effectively.

I had some juice and watched my 747-300 taxi up to the stand right in front of me. Damn those things look big when you are face to nose with one of them.

I headed down to the gate at the appointed boarding time and waited until they started to board. I was one of the first on board this flight to Melbourne.

Flight QF802 PER-MEL Seat 1A
Departure time: 11:25
Date: October 5, 2006
Aircraft: 747-300

They were actually loading the aircraft through doors 1 and 2 at the only gate which seemed to have two jet bridges, from what I could see.

My jacket was taken and water and juice were offered prior to take off.

At 11:27 the purser came on the PA and told us the captain has requested that we all stay in our assigned seats to aid in the trim of the aircraft.

Not long after this the captain chimed in with a message we were waiting for the last of the cargo to be loaded before we could push back. We had a quick flight time so could afford the delay and would still get into MEL on schedule.

Push back was at 11:41 and we were in the air at 11:51.

A drinks order was taken after the seat belt sign was switched off and these were then delivered with a small bag of cashews and almonds.

Around 35 minutes into the flight we left land and started to cross the Great Australian Bight. We would not see land again until around 30 minutes prior to landing in MEL.

I popped out my video screen and it was filthy and covered with food splatters and finger prints. I couldn’t wait for the hot towel to come so I could give it a once over.

After the drinks were finished being served the food trolley rolled out and we were offered lunch. We had a choice of Chicken with mashed sweet potato, Smoked Salmon salad or Braised Beef with Jasmine rice. The beef and chicken were served with a small salad and the Salmon was served with a small bowl of fruit.
There was a chocolate coated macadamia on the tray also.

On serving the meal I was asked if I would like wine. There was a ‘Shiraz’ (bottle said Pinot Noir) or a ‘Chardonnay’ (bottle said Voigner). It seems neither of the FA’s had clue about wine. Even later when I was offered more of the Voigner the FA said ‘more Chardonnay sir?’

After I had finished the meal (and the other people around me also), the FA came through with warm rolls to have with the meal. Well gee thanks for that, perhaps you could get them out a little sooner so we can actually have them with the meal??
Maybe they should have some lessons from BA & AA where the rolls are kept in a basket on the trolley and handed out with the meal.

After the meal trays were taken away a dessert was offered, which was a choice between cheese and biscuits or the tubs of ice cream I had previously encountered.

I watched the scenery go by as there was not much worthy of watching on the IFE. Oh and the IFE that was available bore no semblance to that listed in the OnQ magazine on board.

We flew in over MEL airport and turned around and came back in from the East to land on time at 16:45. I went down to the baggage claim after first stopping off to buy some goodies for my friends. My bag was out early in the first wave and I was in a taxi on my way to my friend’s house by 17:30.

Of all my domestic flights this was by far the worst in terms of service and efficiency of the crew. There were only 3 seats empty on the nose J class section of the 747 and only 2 crew to work it. It was clear that they were stretched to the limit in order to offer a decent and timely service.

Oh and my hot towel (to clean the IFE screen) never came at all for the whole 3 hour flight. Compare this with the meal and two hot towels on SQ on a 55 minute flight.

Two days in Melbourne and I am off home to the UK. It is over all too soon and there are only three coupons left in my ticket wallet. How sad to see the end is nigh.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Part 15 MEL-HKG-LHR

After a very hectic but glorious two days in MEL with family and friends it was time to once again head to the airport for my flights back to the UK.

My friend dropped me off at around 21:00 for my 23:00 flight to HKG.

I walked up the F desk and waited for the single agent to become available. After she was done with her passenger she waived me over and took my ticket and passport. She printed out my QF BP and also the BP for the HKG-LHR sector which would be on CX.
She tagged my bag through to LHR, asked if I knew where the lounge was and bid me farewell.

I made my way through emigrations and security and down to the QF lounge. I had a glass of Moet and some nibbles whilst checking my emails and of course FT.

The time quickly passed and I walked upstairs to the gate area at around 22:30. Not long after I arrived at the gate boarding was announced and I entered using the F/J and OW elite dedicated boarding line.

Flight QF29 MEL-HKG Seat 1A
Departure time: 23:00
Date: October 8, 2006
Aircraft: 747-400

Both doors were being used for boarding and I entered through door 1 and was ushered to my seat by one of the F FAs.

My jacket was taken, Bolly delivered along with some olives, crackers and goats cheese.

The amenity kits and PJs were handed out whilst we were on the ground.
I was offered, and accepted a refill of the Bolly prior to pushing back which was at 23:02.
We took off soon after and more champagne was delivered to my seat.
The FA had me pegged as a lush about 10 minutes into the flight and after refilling my glass said “There are 3 more bottles on board” with a knowing smile.

The menus were given out and include a typically Australian eclectic mix of cuisines and styles with a heavy accent on Asian.
My Bollinger Grande Anée Brut 1997 was slipping down very easily so I just kept drinking that for the time being.

MELBOURNE TO HONG KONG

SUPPER

CANAPÉS

ENTREES AND MAIN COURSES

Prawn Wonton Soup with XO Sauce
Soupe au Pistou with Pancetta

Salad of Chicken and Hokkien Noodles with Soy Chilli Dressing
Lobster Cocktail with Preserved Lemon and Harissa Mayonnaise

Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage and Coriander
Our Signature Steak Sandwich with Tomato and Chilli Relish

A salad of Baby Cos, Radicchio and Frisee is available to accompany your main course or can be enjoyed as an entrée, dressed with your choice of Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette, Palm Sugar Vinaigrette, Lemon Vinaigrette or Blue Cheese Dressing

Beef Fillet with Asian Mushroom Ragout and Sweet Potato and Ginger Puree

Slow Cooked Pork with Water Chestnuts, Fragrant Rice and Bok Choy

Seared Blue Eye with New Potatoes, Broad Beans and Asparagus and Black Olive Sauce

Eggplant, Zucchini and Feta Stack with Fresh Tomato Sauce and Pesto

A choice of mustards and condiments is available

CHEESE

Blue, soft and hard cheese, hand selected by Will Studd,
Maitre Fromager Calendar Cheese Company, served with accompaniments

DESSERT

Nice Cream Pistachio and Honey Ice Cream with Crème Anglaise and Pistachio Brittle

Dark Chocolate and Almond Cake with Double Cream and Raspberry Sauce

Whole or Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Maggie Beer Ice Cream Tubs

PETITS FOURS

A selection of Kennedy & Wilson chocolates
Jaffa Cakes
Manna from Heaven Cinnamon Biscuits

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Bollinger ‘La Grande Anée’ Brut 1997

WHITE WINE

O’Leary Walker Polish Hill Riesling 2004

Lost Valley Cortese 2005

Glaconda Nantua Les Deux Chardonnay 2005

RED WINE

Port Phillip Estate Reserve Pinot Noir 2004

Clonakilla Shiraz Viognier 2004

Langmeil ‘Jackaman’s’ Cabernet Sauvignon 2002

DESSERT WINE

De Bortoli Noble One Botrytis Semillon 2003

As my table was set for me I noticed that it appeared to be real wood and not just a laminate and had nice brass edges around the corners.

One nice touch was the offer of olive oil and balsamic vinegar to go with the bread rather than butter.
The starter I had was the lobster tail with tabouleh which I had with some of the Cortese.

I noticed that every time the wine was poured, even in a refill, the bottle was presented to me prior to pouring.

My main was the pork which I couldn’t finish (probably because I had been fed a roast lamb dinner by my friends only 5 hours earlier). I changed to the Cabernet Sauvignon for this dish and was not disappointed at all. It is a very nice drop.

I was asked if I wanted some dessert and said I would have a stab at the pistachio ice cream deal on the menu. The only reason was so that I could order some Noble One to go with it. I mentioned this to the FA and he said it was a very popular drink at with the FAs when they do their training for First. I said I did enjoy it but didn’t often see it in London stores.
The ice cream and of the course the wine slipped down easily.

Hot towels were handed out to end the meal.

I went to the bathroom, another one with a window on the world, and the FA made up my bed for me.
I slept most of the rest of the way to London until around an hour out of Hong Kong.

I was asked if I wanted breakfast but declined opting for just a smoothie and some peppermint tea.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST

Orange Juice
Apple Juice
Sunraysia Mango Liquid Fruit
Sunraysia Pear Liquid Fruit
Passionfruit and Orange Energiser Drink

Citrus Fruit Salad
Bircher Muesli
Toasted Muesli
Cereal Selection
Yoghurt and Honey
Chicken Fried Rice and Dim Sum
Fruit Danish
Croissant
Toast
Steamed Chinese Bun
Selection of Concerves
Strawberry Jam, Orange Marmalade, Honey, Vegemite

HOT BEVERAGES

Coffee
Black Leaf Teas
Herbal Teas
Hot Chocolate

I changed back into my street garb and settled in with a Peppermint Tea. I also noticed that MR 1K decided it was OK to change back into his clothes at his seat!

As we were making preparations for landing, the FA I had the discussion about the Noble One with came up to me and said ‘Here is the Duty Free order you placed Mr Moomba’. Inside the bag was a bottle of Noble One for me, which was a very nice gesture on his part.

I thanked him and told him that the service on this flight was absolutely fabulous and that I would eagerly look forward to my LHR-HKG-MEL-SIN-LHR in F I have booked for next May.

We landed and pulled up to gate 15 at HKG airport and I bid my farewell to the crew and walked up the long ramp and into the airport.
I wandered up to the CX Wing F lounge and into the cabana room and a nice hot bath to revive me for the next 13 hour stint on CX.

I had three hours to kill between my two flights which I did by bathing, sipping tea and checking mail, FT etc on the Wifi internet in the CX lounges.

As the boarding time approached I made my way to the gate and on board without any delay.

Flight CX257 HKG-LHR Seat 1A
Departure time: 09:40
Date: October 9, 2006
Aircraft: 340-600

On board my jacket was taken and I ordered a Cathay Delight to drink, which is on of their signature drinks. It contains kiwi fruit juice, coconut milk and mint and is quite delectable.
The PJs were delivered and are now the green trim again after having been mustard coloured for most of this last year.

The elemis amenity kits were also handed out whilst on the ground.

I was offered another drink as the aircraft continued to board. Again there were maintenance crew running around the aircraft just prior to take off.
We pushed back at 09:45 and were in the air soon after.

After take off my brunch order was taken.

BRUNCH

JUICE SELECTION

APPETIZER

Fresh Seasonal Fruit

YOGHURT SELECTION

Natural or Low Fat Fruit Yoghurt

CERALS

Muesli, Corn Flakes or Rice Crispies

MAIN COURSES

Scrambled Eggs or Plain Omelette
Grilled Cumberland Sausages and Lamb Noisette,
Pan-fried Potato Cake with Cheddar, Vine Ripened Tomato and Sautéed Fresh Mushrooms

Poached Smoked Haddock

Dim Sum Basket

DESSERT

Selection of Pastries

BREAD BASKET

Assorted Warm Bread, Fresh Toast and Breakfast Pastries
Served with Preserves, Honey and Butter

TEA AND COFFEE

PRALINES AND COOKIES

I decided to go with the fruit starter and followed this up with some yoghurt. This was served in a nice little silver holder.
For main I decided to go with the scrambled eggs with lamb, potato cakes and tomato. The potato cake was very nice indeed.

After the meal I slept for a few hours and awoke refreshed and ready to watch a few movies.
After one of the movies the FA asked if I wanted any of the snacks.

SNACK

Shrimp Wontons in Noodle Soup

Maryland Crab Cakes with Tartar Sauce
And mixed Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing

Ice Cream

I decided to go with my much favoured noodles with shrimp wontons.

I watched a couple more movies from the wide selection available on CX’s IFE system. After this my ears became sore from having the headphones on for so long so I did some reading.

At around 5 hours out of London I decided it was time for some bubbles and ordered a glass of Krug.

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Krug Grande Cuvée Champagne

WHITE WINES

Domaine Jacques Prieur Beaune Premier Cru, Champs Pimont 2002

Mount Pleasant Maurice O’Shea Chardonnay 2004

RED WINES

Château Lynch Bages 2001

Corton Grand Cru Louis Max 1996

Brown Brothers Patricia Shiraz 2002

PORT

Ramos Pinto Quinta da Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny Port

My glass of Krug was never empty for the remainder of the flight. I would say that I enjoyed more than a bottle of Krug on this flight.

Around three hours out I was asked if I wanted my dinner service. It seems several of the other 5 F pax on this flight had decided to eat. The smells were delightful and I decided to partake at this time also.

CAVIAR, BALIK SALMON & CHAMPAGNE

Caviar
And
Balik Salmon “Tsar Nicolaj” with Krug Grande Cuvee

DINNER

SOUP & SALAD

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

Grilled Vegetable Salad with Sliced Bagel and Balsamic Vinegar Dressing

MAIN COURSES

Braised Shrimps with Ginger and Vinegar Sauce
Steam Rice, Green Asparagus with Capsicum and Shiitake Mushroom

Pan-fried Beef Tenderloin with Herb Crust
Roast Carrot with Parsley and Black Pepper, Grilled Asparagus

Malaysian Chicken Curry
Steamed Rice and Stir-fried Mixed Vegetables

Pumpkin Ravioli with Semi Sun-dried Tomato Concasse

CHEESE & DESSERT

Selection of International Cheese
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Strawberries Marinated in Kirsch and Whipped Cream
Raspberry Fool with Mixed Berries
Chocolate Chestnut Cake with Vanilla Sauce and Red Currant

TEA AND COFFEE

PRALINES AND COOKIES

Of course it was mandatory to have the caviar and no one needed to twist my arm to comply.
After this I had the salad and the very tasty Malaysian chicken curry.

I couldn’t face either the cheese or dessert options and was feeling very sated and in no need of further sustenance, except maybe for another few glasses of Krug.

Around an hour and half out it became very bumpy and the seat belt signs came on. We eventually had to descend a little to avoid the choppy air.

I opened up my blinds just after the captain announced our initial descent into London and was able to see up cross the coast line of England.
We landed early at 15:30 and were parked at the gate within a couple of minutes.

I made the long walk to immigrations spent at least 20 seconds in the IRIS booth and made my way to the baggage carousel. About 10 minutes later my bag was the third one out. I went through customs and into the masses at the arrivals hall of T3. I eventually found my driver (thank you CX!) and was soon in a E330 Merc on my way home.

Well it is all over now bar the last leg back to CAI, currently planned for the Christmas break.

During this two and bit weeks I flew 40288 miles, 15 flights with 17 sectors, all but 5 in F. It has been a dream come true and over far too soon.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:13 am
Original Poster

I asked for my BA number to be recorded against this flight as I have a complex plan
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Typical FTer
My plan has worked out well. As a result of this trip I have now re-qualified as GOLD on BA and EXP on AA
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
My plan has worked out well. As a result of this trip I have now re-qualified as GOLD on BA and EXP on AA
Congrats and well done ^

So that's the 2nd aspect of your planning that I'm thoroughly impressed with ... the first being the very high proportion of F segments!

Hopefully we can expect a write-up of the final LHR-CAI segment as a Christmas treat?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
Congrats and well done ^

So that's the 2nd aspect of your planning that I'm thoroughly impressed with ... the first being the very high proportion of F segments!

Hopefully we can expect a write-up of the final LHR-CAI segment as a Christmas treat?
I am sure I will finish the job I started back in April when I do that final leg in Dec.

Hmm not sure if I worded my previous post correctly. I did not mean that the trip was totally responsible for my gaining status; just that at the end of it I had made it to GLD & EXP.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Congrats. ^ It is surprisingly tricky to pull off the (re)qualify high/top status on multiple FFPs on the same RTW trick.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:45 pm

Oh God! Looking at the photos, CX still uses plastic cultery in F for their LHR runs whereas airlines such as SQ & BA have brought back the metal ones for their LHR flights ever since last year. No wonder SQ has a much bigger market share on the Kangaroo-London routes than CX. Why is CX letting their cultery policy stubborness putting them behind their biggest competitor. Eating with plastic utensils in F is plain cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Nice job, Moomba! Those Qantas and Cathay First Class menu transcripts (Thanks for taking the time to include those, by the way) really got me drooling and so I had to back away from the laptop and head down the street for a good Thai dinner. Too bad about the plastic cutlery on CX. It's about time some airlines and/or governments came to their senses and realized a properly wielded writing pen is probably more dangerous than an airline knife. I understand I've got a meal to look forward to on my Tijuana to Culiacan flight tomorrow. I wonder if it'll be worthy of a picture?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Stampy
... Eating with plastic utensils in F is plain cheap, cheap, cheap!!!!!
But CX does use the very finest Connoly leather plastic knives, they are actually sharper and more sturdy than many metal knives. Reminds me of how Louis XIV had special cutlery made, and ate with an aluminium knife, while the rest of the court had to make do with cheap gold cutlery. Of course we all know what happened to Louis XIV (and aluminium knives) in the long run.

ps. worse yet, this metal knife restriction extends to the entire airport of HKG, no metal knives allowed anywhere inside security. Ripples on a pond spread wide.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Nice job, Moomba! Those Qantas and Cathay First Class menu transcripts (Thanks for taking the time to include those, by the way) really got me drooling and so I had to back away from the laptop and head down the street for a good Thai dinner. Too bad about the plastic cutlery on CX. It's about time some airlines and/or governments came to their senses and realized a properly wielded writing pen is probably more dangerous than an airline knife. I understand I've got a meal to look forward to on my Tijuana to Culiacan flight tomorrow. I wonder if it'll be worthy of a picture?

Thanks Seat2A. I have been reading of your lastest adventures and had to reel away in horror. Talk about poles apart, my Seat 1A to your not Seat 2A excursions. At least you got to do it the right way on the ground.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 2:28 pm

Nice report. May I ask how much this RTW ticket cost you? It seems like a great value. It seems like you didn't spend long in each place though. Any reason for that?
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by terpfan101
Nice report. May I ask how much this RTW ticket cost you? It seems like a great value. It seems like you didn't spend long in each place though. Any reason for that?
Time was my biggest enemy on this trip. With all the other travelling I was doing this year I needed to actually fit some work in somewhere.

For me this trip was more about the flying than the destinations. I flew my first l/h First flight last year when I received an op-up with CX. I also found FT around the same time. The seeds were sown and my tickets booked back in August 05.

I did get to spend some time with friends in AUS, YVR, ADL and MEL. The KUL, NRT & PER portions were new places for me and hence the longer stays.

I have already visited HKG many times as well as SIN and those stops were really just transits.

I love SFO so had to spend some time there on the NA portion of the trip.

The JFK stop was simply so I could try the AA trans con which turned out to be the biggest disappointment of the whole trip.

Another FT accosted me at a DO earlier this year in London asking why the odd routings of my trip. I should explain that this was done for mileage reasons as AA is a miles based earning programme, hence all the zig zagging I did in the US.

The cost ex CAI was just over 4K GBP including all the taxes, for 20 coupons and 22 flights (two were 1 flight number 2 flights; NRT-TPE-HKG & HKG-BKK-SIN), 14 of which were real F (i.e. 3 class planes); I think it was excellent value and am already in the planning stages of another one later next year; I hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.