Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Your Experiences -- The ZipLock Bag Carnival Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Experiences -- The ZipLock Bag Carnival Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL, NW, HH
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
At each airport my MEDICATIONS were logged in!
Unbelievable!!

No one will be logging any of my personal medical information anywhere.

Were these liquid medications?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
liquid. sort of

Originally Posted by breny
Unbelievable!!

No one will be logging any of my personal medical information anywhere.

Were these liquid medications?
They were pre-filled injectable medications. I don't know what info they wrote down, but they took their time doing so. Also insisted the meds be x-rayed. I don't know how much x-ray it takes to destroy medications.

Nutz!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 8:51 am

Programs: DL SM
Originally Posted by GeoGirl
Back to the IND experience:
For an overnight trip, I decanted most of my products (total: 11 products including shampoo, conditioner, 2 hair styling products, foundation makeup, facial cleanser, facial toner, eye cream, wrinkle cream, fluouride rinse, and moisturizer) into tiny, .25 oz or smaller bottles and put labels on each one saying what it was.

When I passed the entry into the line, the agents at the table said, "Wow, you're really prepared, you know what you're doing," and let me through, then went back to explaining to various passengers that eyeliner is NOT a liquid.

But once I went through the x-ray, IND TSA took me out of line and proceeded to confiscate ALL of the products that were decanted and hand-labeled.

They refused to let me have them back because the supervisor said I was not allowed to travel with any products not in original, manufacturer-labeled containers, not even in checked baggage. GG
Have others been able to out their toiletries in unlabelled bottles?

This quote is from The Wall Street Journal:
Concerned that security screeners were expecting terrorists to bring properly labeled liquid explosives aboard planes, I asked the Transportation Security Administration whether liquids really had to be labeled, as my wife had been told at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. After all, a person could easily pour something into a different bottle, and many travelers probably were rushing out to purchase small plastic travel bottles to put in their one-quart ration bags.

TSA Spokesman Christopher White says unlabeled three-ounce bottles are permissible, and that TSA screeners have been trained on that.

And Nalgene is now making travel kits that meet the new TSA requirements:
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...06&newsLang=en
Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by fickerdm
Have others been able to out their toiletries in unlabelled bottles?

<snip>
TSA Spokesman Christopher White says unlabeled three-ounce bottles are permissible, and that TSA screeners have been trained on that.
Fickerdm, I was able to travel through SAT with the same bottles and had no trouble whatsoever.

Tomorrow, I am traveling out of IND once again and will be bringing the exact same style of hand-labeled bottles through security. I hope the same supervisor is working (same time, same day of week, I figure I have an okay chance) and I have the opportunity to prove her wrong this time. I'm leaving plenty of time and am bringing along Bart's guidelines to aid me if I am stopped.

Will let you know what happens.

GG
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:05 am

I wonder if I could get through with several 3oz bottles of the same thing, I have long, thick hair that I wash/condition twice a day on average, I use A LOT more shampoo than people with short hair. 3oz for me would only be a two day supply, tops.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:13 am

...proceeded to confiscate ALL of the products that were decanted and hand-labeled.

They refused to let me have them back because the supervisor said I was not allowed to travel with any products not in original, manufacturer-labeled containers, not even in checked baggage.
Are they serious? The majority of my travel toiletries (including those in my checked baggage) aren't in original containers, but rather in other containers from The Container Store. In addition, my shampoo isn't one that I can buy upon arrival at another city, as it is mail-ordered in bulk (which is why I put it into smaller bottles). If this is true, I'd be completely up the creek.

I checked the TSA web site, but couldn't find anything about this. Help! Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by spunknugget
I wonder if I could get through with several 3oz bottles of the same thing, I have long, thick hair that I wash/condition twice a day on average, I use A LOT more shampoo than people with short hair. 3oz for me would only be a two day supply, tops.
As long as they're in different 3 oz bottles, I don't think it matters what's in your Ziploc.

Twice a day, really? Hope you deep-condition, too! : )

GG
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by chels73
Are they serious? The majority of my travel toiletries (including those in my checked baggage) aren't in original containers, but rather in other containers from The Container Store. In addition, my shampoo isn't one that I can buy upon arrival at another city, as it is mail-ordered in bulk (which is why I put it into smaller bottles). If this is true, I'd be completely up the creek.

I checked the TSA web site, but couldn't find anything about this. Help! Thanks!
No- as I said, TSA in IND were WRONG, as I intend to prove tomorrow morning when I go through security again with the same type of decanted products. I may not even label them this time. Check the TSA Updates from Bart in this forum- he says they're fine and have always been fine. As long as they're 3 oz or smaller and fit in your Ziploc bag, you should be fine- just take a copy of the procedures Bart posted so if your TSA agents are like mine and completely unaware of the rules (or making their own up), you know what to do!

GG
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fickerdm

This quote is from The Wall Street Journal:
Concerned that security screeners were expecting terrorists to bring properly labeled liquid explosives aboard planes, I asked the Transportation Security Administration whether liquids really had to be labeled, as my wife had been told at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. After all, a person could easily pour something into a different bottle, and many travelers probably were rushing out to purchase small plastic travel bottles to put in their one-quart ration bags.

TSA Spokesman Christopher White says unlabeled three-ounce bottles are permissible, and that TSA screeners have been trained on that. ......
Could you please post more of this article for those of us to print out? Or a cached link? The "Mouthwash" thread here would be greatful too!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
No- as I said, TSA in IND were WRONG, as I intend to prove tomorrow morning when I go through security again with the same type of decanted products. I may not even label them this time. Check the TSA Updates from Bart in this forum- he says they're fine and have always been fine. As long as they're 3 oz or smaller and fit in your Ziploc bag, you should be fine- just take a copy of the procedures Bart posted so if your TSA agents are like mine and completely unaware of the rules (or making their own up), you know what to do!

GG
And another thing to remember and to keep focussing on with them is this: Have a print out of the prohibited list. As Bart says, he focusses his training on what is prohibited. Clearly, unlabeled 3oz bottles are not prohibited.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:52 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by DallasBill
ABQ last night was different -- of course. They had a table pre-ID check with 4 TSA. They were stamping all bags with a sticky label stamper and saying if you didn't declare the baggie there and get a stamp, it could be pulled at screening. That is not SOP from all I have read.

I then declared my 4 separate contact lens bottles and they try to yank them because they were not in the baggie. I told them they were incorrect and pulled the TSA webpage I had printed off -- it's linked a few posts above. The lady looked at it incredulously and them yelled "Frank!" Frank came over, and in less than 1 second, without even reading it, said I was OK.

At screening, they still pulled my carry on to check the loose contact lens stuff. I said "I am declaring them to you as I did over there" and then I was on my on my way, with an apology for the delay.
Welcome to ABQ! Of course in the "Land of Mañana" they aren't always up to speed with the latest and greatest rules...hence we were able to zip through the airport for a 6am flight on 8/10 with nary a problem even though the liquid ban took effect at 0430. But when they do catch up, watch out 'cause they can really go overboard!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Is this for real? I bought about four bottles of water in the secured areas and there were no new stickers on my bottles. Already implemented or coming?

GG
Neither
Those were just my musings in response to the question of how do they know your water is a TSApproved airside-purchased $3.50 bottle of Dasani vs. a $1 bottle bought at 7-11 on the way to the airport.

I apologize for the confusion...I especially apologize in advance should someone decide to actually implement such a system!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 7:14 pm

And another thing to remember and to keep focussing on with them is this: Have a print out of the prohibited list. As Bart says, he focusses his training on what is prohibited. Clearly, unlabeled 3oz bottles are not prohibited.
Okay. I have my list. I have my printout of Bart's instructions. And I. Have. Unlabeled. Bottles. And. Containers. Coach, I'm goin' in!!!

My mileage run ends at 11:30 tomorrow night, but I'll try to post from the AC in ORD using my Sidekick (which, oddly, crashed completely last week when I surfed FT on it).

: )
GG
Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:35 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Having flown through many airports in the past week or so within US and elsewhere with no hassles, today the TSA in BOS decides the couple of small toiletries (each 1oz bottle) is not good enough and confiscates them. This after seeing the lady in front with a huge clear plastic bag allowed to take through more than a dozen toiletries, none of which look like they are under 3oz.

Stupid inconsistency. When I queried it they had no answer to why my stuff wasn't allowed and then proceeded to take away my airline amenity kit as well. Plus the clear plastic bag I had (which actually was an empty airline amenity bag). So now I need to buy new toiletries and another clear plastic bag.

When they won't even follow their own stupid rules it is so infuriating
Old Oct 5, 2006, 8:27 am

Programs: DL SM
Could you please post more of this article for those of us to print out? Or a cached link? The "Mouthwash" thread here would be greatful too!
Here is the article:

Undoubtedly it is difficult to get 43,000 security screeners at airports to apply new rules uniformly. But many travelers do wonder why screening can't be more consistent.

My wife, for example. She traveled this week and was told that under the new rules, she couldn't take a small bottle of moisturizer in a carry-on bag because it didn't have a label. The screener said he couldn't tell what it was or if there was less than three ounces of it. She had to check her bag.

This week, readers of The Middle Seat had many questions about the new rules, and some complaints. I've tried to track down what answers I can. There are also some lingering questions from my Middle Seat of last Saturday on British Airways Flight 268 -- more on that later.

Some readers also asked why TSA was counting bottles in the one-quart clear plastic bag of toiletries you're allowed; Mr. White said screeners were "making documentation of these items for our use in the security screening process." There is no limit on how many bottles you can put "comfortably" in your quart-size bag, and perhaps the counting, which travelers complained slowed lines a bit, will eventually not be necessary.

Said Mr. White: "As the TSA, its partners at airports and airlines and passengers all become more familiar with these new procedures, the process will get smoother."

Many readers had questions about specific items. (As always, queries and comments have been edited.) The most-definitive source of information is the TSA Web site, www.tsa.gov, which has a list of prohibited items and a question-and-answer page about the new rules. Here's a link to the page concerned with permitted and prohibited items.

Wallace D. Mersereau pointed out that my story didn't mention aerosol cans, and he wondered if travel-size shaving cream (generally 2.25 ounces) was permitted in carry-on bags. The answer: It is, as long as there's less than three ounces and the can is able to fit in your quart kit.

Ken Afton asked about a one-ounce bottle of prescription eye drops that is not clear. The bag has to be clear -- not the bottle. And prescription medicines can be carried separately -- best to have the box with the prescription and your name on it, too.

Arnold Hirshon experienced TSA inconsistency three weeks ago, before the rules change, when he was allowed to go through security in Boston with four ounces of contact lens solution, nasal spray and saline spray. In Atlanta, the items were confiscated.

"Is contact-lens solution allowable?" he asks, noting that TSA makes exceptions for nonprescription eye drops and saline solution, but not specifically contact-lens solution, such as a cleaner.

"Why can't they explicitly list contact-lens solution when they are going to all the trouble to list such things as a meat cleaver, ice ax, ice pick, razor-type blades, sabers, swords, baseball bat, bow and arrow, cricket bat, golf clubs, hockey and lacrosse sticks, pool cues, spear guns, flare guns, starter pistols, cattle prods, crowbars, hammers, drills, saws, billy clubs, black jacks, brass knuckles, nunchakus, stun gun, throwing stars, turpentine, chlorine for pools, lighter fluid, gas torches, liquid bleach, and tear gas, gel shoe inserts, Jello, whipped cream, pudding and yogurt?"

Yes, surely contact-lens solution falls under the same category as saline and eye drops. But as we all know, your TSA screening experience may vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.