Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-CDG-EZE-CDG-BOS on AF 24JAN05-01FEB05

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:26 am
Original Poster

BOS-CDG-EZE-CDG-BOS on AF 24JAN05-01FEB05

Hi again everyone,

To see photos from this trip click here. Simply click on "view slide show", no need to log in.

BOS-CDG
AF337/24JAN05
F-GZCH
Scheduled departure 17h35LT
Actual departure 18h20LT (due to local weather conditions)
Seat 7B

On the 22nd of January, Boston got hit with a major snowstorm, dubbed the blizzard of 2005; 3 feet of snow. Boston Logan Int’l was closed all day Sunday, the 23rd of January. Because of this snow and the consequent cancellation of three AF flights (2nd flight on the 22nd, two flights on the 23rd), I was afraid that I was going to be in for my first entire-trip jump seat ride to Paris.

Well, things worked out for the best as you can see. I boarded the aircraft and was welcomed in the J-class cabin as was any other passenger, with a flight attendant ready to help find space for my carry on and help me place it in the racks. The head count was executed and finished in no-time, but we found ourselves sitting at the gate for a little while waiting for loading to finish and then for ATC clearance to push back. In the mean time, the cabin crew offered newspapers and the “welcome-drink” (OJ or champagne). With all the snow that fell that weekend, ramp conditions were very slippery which made for some difficult loading conditions for the ramp team. After that, also because of the weather conditions, ATC had us hold a little before pushing back. There was only runway 33R in service with only a certain number of taxiways available. The number of aircraft taxiing around on the ramp was amazing. We finally pushed back around 18h20, 45 minutes behind schedule. A taxi time of about 20 minutes had us shooting down runway 27 at full power … the power of the A330 is much more evident, especially in comparison to the A340 (which never would make it off 27 anyway lol).

Once airborne, we were offered the traditional “oshi-boris” (hot towels), followed shortly by an aperitif, followed by the meal service. On today’s menu:

Hors d’oeuvre: lobster served with mango
Choice of main courses: grilled tournedos of beef, potato galette with wild mushrooms and Mediterranean-style simmered vegetables OR roasted fillet of grouper with Caribbean flavors with grilled pineapple, lemon, and rice pilaf with bell peppers.
Cheese selection of comte, camembert, blue cheese
Dessert: chocolate croquant.

Unfortunately, I do not like lobster, so I opted not to eat it. I chose the beef as my main course. The beef was as usual cooked medium, which was perfect, although I did leave the very center since it was a little too rare for me. On the night service from the East coast, the cheese and dessert are already on the tray. The cabin crew only pick up the entrée and switch it for the main course. The rest of the meal was excellent as usual, with no comments to be made! The cabin crew was efficient through out the entire service, especially quick to pick up trays in order to allow passengers to enjoy maximum sleep time.
IFE on the flight was “on demand” for J-class passengers. The screens on the A330s are bigger than on the other widebody fleet, which is quite nice. I watched “Motorcycle Diaries” and “Bourne Supremacy” for like the 5th time, always a good movie!

About 45 minutes before landing, breakfast was served: fresh OJ, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fresh fruit, yogurt, fresh bakery selection (the cinnamon buns are always good!), butter and preserves.

The entire flight was as enjoyable as any other AF flight I have taken … cabin crew at its best, attentive and efficient. As usual we arrived on a hard stand behind Terminal 2C (at least we were at the terminal to which we were supposed to arrive). It was the first time I offloaded on the “aerobus”, the big people movers that move up and down and attach themselves to the aircraft and the terminals (like at JFK and IAD). For once, I did not wait an eternity for my bags, which arrived within 10 minutes of arriving into the terminal.

CDG-EZE
AF416/25JAN05
Terminal 2C
F-GSPY
Seat 11F
Scheduled departure 23h15
Actual departure 23h24

Spent the day of the 25th at the Sheraton Roissy where I was able to get a room for pretty cheap. I checked in with a friend of mine (with whom I was traveling) and we were given seats 23AB even though we had requested 35AB, but that’s alright. Row 23 on the 777 is the bulk head. And usually, people who are checked in to 23AB have their seats changed later

My friend with whom I was traveling is a Frequence Plus Rouge member so we were able to access the J class lounge in terminal 2C. It’s a good thing we arrived early because as time went on, the lounge got busy for those 23h long haul departures (HKG, PVG among others). Anyway, to cut to the chase, boarding, scheduled for 22h30 started a few minutes late for unknown reasons. There were Immigration officials in the jet bridge, a possible deportee?

New LCD screens display flight information and cabin plans.

11F is the middle seat of the middle set of seats on Air France. I graciously took the middle seat and let my friend take the aisle. At least I would know the person I would be bothering to get to the aisle! But on the 777, the middle seat really isn’t that bad since the plane has that big cabin feel. It took a few tries for the cabin crew to get their head count right before closure of the doors. The head count should not have been that hard, no empty seats, just count the number of infants. Oh well! LOL. Cabin crew were present in the cabin welcoming passengers on board and taking passenger’s coats. At the same time, other cabin crew (one f/a in each aisle) went around with the traditional AF welcome drink as I mentioned above. Push back was consequently a few minutes late … instead of taking off from 8L, the southern runways (the runways behind 2A/C/E), ATC had us taxi all the way to 9R for takeoff.

There was one thing for which I must critique this crew … it is that you could tell that the crew was there only for the rotation, for the sake of going to Buenos Aires, for themselves. For AF crew, the EZE rotation is a 7 day “on” rotation since they also fly the EZE-SCL route. They fly CDG-EZE, arrive the next morning and then have 2 days rest. Then they do EZE-SCL-EZE in one day and get another days rest. Then they return EZE-CDG and arrive the next morning back home. It’s a rotation that pays, thus almost every cabin crew is requesting this specific rotation. Ways in which you can tell the crew was there for themselves: one flight attendant in the aisle during the safety demonstration with his chest in the air and arms crossed in front of him; the purser of the Tempo cabin drinking his coffee in a plastic cup in the middle galley in view of all the passengers and then walking through the cabin with it; the 2 cabin crew on the right aisle (of which the Purser) forgot to offer the gentleman next to me his choice of entrée. Fortunately for my friend and me we had a flight attendant who knew what he was doing and did it well.

The aperitif was offered shortly after takeoff followed by “supper” (as opposed to the traditional service). On tonight’s menu:

Choice of hors d’oeuvre:
Duck foie gras, walnut bread, candied orange peel
Fillets of red mullet and green lentil salad

Choice of main courses:
Pan seared fillet of beef, buttered French green beans and anna potatoes
Fillet of pike perch with light anchovy sauce and parmesan mashed potatoes
We forgot to take pictures of our main dishes, sniff sniff.

Selection of cheese: camembert, cabecou, muenster

Dessert: plum tart, sherbet with cookies

I chose the foie gras (always good!), the fillet of pike perch (wasn’t bad) and the plum tart. I skipped the cheese.

As I mentioned above, we were fortunate to have a steward who knew what he was doing and our service was impeccable.

The rest of the flight actually flew by (no pun intended) as the dinner service is already 2 hours long. After dinner, I watched a movie upon which I actually fell asleep for about 6 hours. When I woke up, there were only 4 hours left. I got up to use the lavs and make an inspection of the bars (to hydrate) where they have service tables set up with sandwiches, cookies and fresh and dried fruit at the disposition of business class passengers.

About one and a half hours before landing, the cabin crew turned on the lights. From what I could tell most people were awake by then.

A full breakfast was to be served with a choice of International breakfast or Continental breakfast.

International: choice of omelette with cepe mushroom cream sauce or crepes suzette, double cream, orange and watermelon preserves.

The continental breakfast does not include the hot choices, but both choices include fruit juice, coffe, tea, or hot chocolate, fresh fruit, cereal yogurt, breakfast pastries, butter and preserves, and fresh bakery selection. The raisin danishes in the bakery selection were gooood! For the hot choice, I chose the crepes, which were also very good. It had been a while since I had a hot breakfast on a long haul flight (vs. the continental on the BOS-CDG leg). Once again, the flight attendant who served us did a great job. Even though they do get to sleep during the flight, the cabin crew come back out looking as fresh as they started.

After 13 hours of flying time, we arrived in EZE 50 minutes ahead of schedule. Arrival bloc at 08h05 local time for a schedule time of 08h55.

EZE-CDG
AF417/01FEB
F-GSPM
Gate 3
Seat 35B
Scheduled departure: 18h05
Actual departure: 18h05

The international terminal at EZE is obviously very new, very clean and illuminated.

The Air France counters opened punctually at 3pm (after Alitalia) and we were among some of the first to check-in. We inquired about availability for the exit row and the agent kindly changed our seats from 30AB to 35BC, door three on the AF777s. Unfortunately, no upgrade for the return flight, sniff sniff, which is partially why we secured ourselves the exit row.

Again, because of my friend's Elite status, we were able to access the lounge.

Boarding at EZE started promptly at 17h20, standard 45 minutes before departure. Once on board, the Purser recognized me and let us know not to hesitate to ask him for anything we needed. He had also invited us to the bars in business class if he were so inclined.

Push back was right on the dot (all other stations are punctual except CDG! LOL). A quick 15 minute taxi and we were Roissy-bound for a 12 hour 30 minute flying time. Once airborne, the typical French aperitif was offered with a small bag of “salty mix”. The hot meal followed with a choice of chicken with a “provencal” style tomatoe sauce and rice or pasta with mushrooms. The purser apologized that due to a supply problem at EZE, they did not have any menus to offer, nor in First nor in Business! I chose the chicken and my friend chose the pasta. The trays were choc full of “stuff”. At the upper left corner there was a fruit salad. Next to that a dulce de leche layer cake (which was really good!) followed by a clear glass for wine/soda/water and a red plastic cup in the upper right corner for the coffee/tea service. On the bottom left was the hot cassolette and a pate-style salad on the bottom right in a bowl. The (real) cutlery and dressings were in the middle. Unfortunately I was unable to take a photo of the tray but needless to say, the food was pretty decent. The service was also very good, in fact exceptionally good for the main cabin, well up to the Air France standards.

Service in the main cabin goes much quicker than in J-class lol. After the meal service, I settled into my seat and started to watch a movie. The one thing that stinks about AF IFE is that wherever you go in the world, the movies are the same. Be it a BOS-CDG (6 hours) or an EZE-CDG, it’s the same 5 movies offered. (Movies are shown on a “from Paris” or “to Paris” basis.)

Time flew once again, I didn’t feel like I spent too much time on the plane, although upon landing I was ready to disembark! Breakfast was served one hour before landing … I must say the breakfast was disappointing. Some weird raisin croissant, ham and cheese sandwich (I am sure I am not alone in wondering why Europeans serve sandwiches for breakfast) and some other item that I did not touch. Enough said about breakfast lol.

Instead of arriving to Terminal 2C, we arrived to Terminal 2F (on a jet bridge at least and not on hard stand) because the aircraft was being dispatched to Seoul 2.5 hours later. We arrived exactly on time at 11h05.

CDG-BOS
AF332/05FEB05
Terminal 2C
seat 7F
F-GZCA
Scheduled departure 13h15
Actual departure 13h26 (jetbridge stuck)

I won’t bore you too much longer and will simply say that the trip back to Boston went without any hitches. We boarded “on contact” at terminal 2C (no hardstand) and the load factor was pretty light. The service on board was, as usual, the sincere, efficient, attentive service that I am used to and thus have come to expect. One little hitch was that the video program had not yet been changed from January, so the films did not correspond to the list of movies in the February edition of the AF Magazine. A little “no-no” in my opinion. I was thus a little bored, having seen the movies already on the CDG-EZE leg! Inspite of the late departure we arrived in Boston exactly and time and I was out of the terminal within 30 minutes of bloc time.

All in all a phenomenal trip. The CDG-EZE-CDG trips being my longest trips ever taken thus far. I must tout Buenos Aires as being a wonderful city to visit. After returning, I have read that it is the hot spot to visit at this moment. The city has lots of areas to discover, so many that I was unable to see everything I wanted to see. My head is already turning to return to EZE next year!

Thanks for reading!
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Thanks for your detailed trip reports and welcome to FT !
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:24 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Welcome aboard Flyertalk and thanks for a great trip report. My sister is a flight attendant for AF and she loves the EZE-SCL rotation Merci ^
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Welcome to FT!

Nice TR, love to see it as I'm flying CDG-SCL later this year.

Couple of questions: first, either I missed it or you didn't give any details on how you got upgraded.

Second, how did you get that routing? Was it a standard routing? I guess I'm surprised AF would sell BOS-CDG-EZE; I figured they might direct you to DL for BOS-ATL-EZE.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:13 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Bienvenue, monsieur et merci pour les photos et reportage. I have always admired your pictures over at airlinemeals.net. I too love to take pictures of airline meals, hotel rooms and destination.

AF meals in Y are very generous compared to other carriers and I would not hesitate to fly them in the future. As for meals in J, I find that they are usually better departing from CDG. I think is nice to always have a choice from the dessert cart. Your point about Europeans serving sandwiches for breakfast is right on. I flew AZ from CDG-FCO in J and I had 2 types of warm sandwiches (one with ham and melted cheese and the other a sweet custard type). The flight left at around 7:00A.

Buenos Aires seems like a very inviting city and hopefully one of these days I will make a trip down there.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Welcome to FT!

Nice TR, love to see it as I'm flying CDG-SCL later this year.

Couple of questions: first, either I missed it or you didn't give any details on how you got upgraded.

Second, how did you get that routing? Was it a standard routing? I guess I'm surprised AF would sell BOS-CDG-EZE; I figured they might direct you to DL for BOS-ATL-EZE.
Hi TrayflowInUK,

You didn't miss anything ... the upgrade was an "operational" upgrade.
The routing certainly is not standard ... I had to go to CDG to meet a friend and travel with him to EZE. In all honesty, I would rather fly the two overnight flights on AF than fly DL
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aw
Bienvenue, monsieur et merci pour les photos et reportage. I have always admired your pictures over at airlinemeals.net. I too love to take pictures of airline meals, hotel rooms and destination.

AF meals in Y are very generous compared to other carriers and I would not hesitate to fly them in the future. As for meals in J, I find that they are usually better departing from CDG. I think is nice to always have a choice from the dessert cart. Your point about Europeans serving sandwiches for breakfast is right on. I flew AZ from CDG-FCO in J and I had 2 types of warm sandwiches (one with ham and melted cheese and the other a sweet custard type). The flight left at around 7:00A.

Buenos Aires seems like a very inviting city and hopefully one of these days I will make a trip down there.
Thanks for your kind words aw. You must be extremely observant to notice that I also post photos on airlinemeals.net @:-)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by airchristophe
Thanks for your kind words aw. You must be extremely observant to notice that I also post photos on airlinemeals.net @:-)
Well, the "Bonjour Chef" does give you away as you also use it on another web site where you post your flight reports . Good to see you here, too !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.