Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-YVR-SFO QF first class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:15 am
Original Poster

SFO-YVR-SFO QF first class

As many of you know, QF began to fly between SFO and YVR for the summer months only.. I had two segments of my AONE left for North America and decided to take this day trip to experience QF short haul first class. And what a great trip it was....

QF 73 SFO-YVR
Qantas uses the "A" terminal at SFO. I checked in quite early only to learn that my flight was 2 hours delayed due to the late flight from SYD. So I was given a pass to the BA terraces lounge that QF uses in SFO. Coming from LAX where I usually fly from, this lounge was spectacular.. The views, the food ( egg and watercress, prawn, and roast beef with creamed horseradish sandwiches ) were only some of the great selection of foods. No hot food but complete bar. However no champagne seen ..Did a lot of email and watching lots of DVD.

QF 73 arrived at gate A4 at SFO. There were not too many passengers continuing on to YVR. Boarding commenced at 1:15 PM for a 2:15PM departure. This plane was a 747-longreach with full three classes of service..

There were 8/14 seats occupied in first class. Almost all of business class was filled both upstairs and downstairs.. Economy seemed empty... I took my seat 2A and immediately was offered canapes of smoked salmon and proscuitto wrapped asparagus. And then I was offered champagne.. yes my fellow flyer talkers... the coveted DOM PERIGNON was offered on this short 90 minute flight. Of course I imbibed as did most of the other passengers. It was wonderful. I should also mention that the staff was pouring the bubbly quite generously as well..

We were advised that the flight up to YVR was a short 90 minutes and that it would be difficult to see an entire movie from the vast selection fo movies that QF offers.. But I requested "Capote" and was able to see approximately 50 percent of it..

Were were then presented our menus
LIGHT LUNCH

Canapes

Main Courses
Braised Chicken with Smoked Paprika, Red Perrs and Spanish Rice

Seared Salmon with Salsa Verde, New Potatoes and Leeks

Salad of Marinated Grilled Beef with Baby Corn, Snow Peas and Mint

Green Leaf Salad with Red Wine Viaigrette

Dessert
Selection fo Sasonal Chees and Dried Fruit
Mediterranean Almond, Walnut and Hazelnut Tart with Creme Anglaise
Sliced Fresh Fruit

Petits Fours

Great menu for such a short flight. Everyone in first was drinking the DOM ..I can only say that I have flown quite a bit over the past 10 years and I have never had such a great flight with such great staff and been so well taken care of...

Now for all of you who are interested... The turnaround in YVR is one real pain.. I had to clear Canadian customs and then explain to them what a mileage run was.. The nice thing however about YVR is that when returning to SFO one actually clears customs before boarding rather than in SFO. This was quite convenient..The YVR airport is magnificent. QF staff however are not that well trained.. They took 30 minutes to get my QF FF number into my reservation.. while many other people waited in line behind me.. Also, QF uses the ALASKA airlines lounge in YVR. Pretty shabby in my opinion.

QF74
The return flight to SFO was just as enjoyable as the outbound flight. I requested my same seat and again was offered DOM on boarding . The canapes included some corn fritters with salsa and a tuna fish crudite. Excellent .. Here is menu for the return flight

Light Dinner

Canapes
Main Courses

Italian Style Braised Beef with Polenta and Broccolini

Seared snapper with Sauce Vierge and Potato Puree

Salad of Poached Chicken and Summer Vegetables with Chili Lime Dressing

Green Leaf Salad with Vinaigrette

Dessert
Selection fo Seasonal Cheese and dried fruit
Chocolate Cherry Cake with Cherry Sauce
Sliced fresh fruit

Petits fours

The food was superb and the snapper was some of the best fish that I have ever tasted..

Suffice to say, I really thought that these two flights were two wonderful segments of my RTW. Although short, each short segment was worth 90 QF SC and helped me retain platinum. The comfort of a 747-400 on a 90 minute flight reminded me of airline travel in days gone by.. Great food, great drink, great seats, and great staff......
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:19 am

I enjoyed this very much, thank you.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Does QF74 arrive at SFO at the international terminal? Or does it use the AA domestic gates? I think all the other pre-cleared flights from Canada do not arrive at the international terminal, so they would have to have special provision to avoid clearing immigration/customs again at SFO if using the international terminal.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by RTW4
Also, QF uses the ALASKA airlines lounge in YVR. Pretty shabby in my opinion.
Be thankful you have a lounge to use. There's only 2 lounges at YVR for transborder flights. AC has the nicer one while AS uses the old CP one.

If QF didn't preclear, presumably they could use the BA (or less likely, the CX) int'l lounge.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by number_6
Does QF74 arrive at SFO at the international terminal? Or does it use the AA domestic gates? I think all the other pre-cleared flights from Canada do not arrive at the international terminal, so they would have to have special provision to avoid clearing immigration/customs again at SFO if using the international terminal.
Naw, you can arrive at the int'l terminal and if you are precleared or on a domestic flight, the jetway just opens into the main terminal area. However, your baggage will have to go to one of the domestic terminals (which is what UA does when they occasionally use an int'l gate on a domestic arrival).
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
This is a great idea. Thank you for the review.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Be thankful you have a lounge to use. There's only 2 lounges at YVR for transborder flights. AC has the nicer one while AS uses the old CP one.

If QF didn't preclear, presumably they could use the BA (or less likely, the CX) int'l lounge.
It's a shame at QF preclears US customs in Vancouver and can't use the CX lounge :-(
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:34 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Regarding the BA lounge at SFO, did you go into the First Class section (which is really just a room)? It was serving Mumm a few weeks ago...
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:41 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thank you for the wonderfully detailed short report. There is no question that QF is the way to fly between SFO-YVR, especially F or J. I think even in Y a meal is offered. The departing times are great but unfortunately this service is offered only 3X a week (Wed/Fri/Sun). I recently saw some specials from SFO-YVR for $198 RT in Y and $890+ in J.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 7:29 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Thanks for the report. We have been thinking about taking this flight (albeit in Y) to experience the great QF service from our trips Down Under.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Leumas
It was serving Mumm a few weeks ago...
Carte Classique or Cordon Rouge?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:56 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by francophile
Can't remember, sorry.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GLD
Excellent report. Definitely the way to go to YVR if you have a choice. Did the same inflight crew do the turn with you and work back to SFO?
Old Jul 2, 2006, 11:16 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by francophile
In the past it has been Rouge and by request -- not put out like the other wines (but I haven't been to the SFO lounge since the spring -- having to fly via LAX most of the time due to the dismal SFO schedules on AA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.